• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Verizon Wants to Limit Facetime Over 3G to Tiered Data Plans



    Unlimited data plan holders can't seem to get a break lately, and Verizon's plan to limit Facetime calls over 3G to tiered data plan holders only is lengthening the shaft.

    Apple isn't happy with this move either. Apple wants 3G Facetime to be accessible to all iPhone users, providing a seamless and uniform experience. Verizon is arguing its usual "we need to limit the possible flood of traffic over our network because our towers are weak, and the confidence we exude in our commercials about having the best network is only shallow boasting," argument.

    If users have limited bandwidth they'll temper their Facetime usage accordingly and prevent Verizon's service from buckling, but honestly how often do any of us actually Facetime? And how many actually do it outside of their homes where a WiFi connection is readily available?

    Adrian Covert of Gizmodo made the guess that Verizon might use it as a ploy to get customers to move away from their grandfathered unlimited plans when upgrading their iPhones this fall.

    Fat chance.

    Source: 9to5Mac [via Gizmodo]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Verizon Wants to Limit Facetime Over 3G to Tiered Data Plans started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
      There will be a jailbreak tweak to correct the blockage I'm sure. I think it depends on how Verizon handles the blocking of FaceTime. This is just disgusting though. They are making the cost of data too high, and if I am paying for my data, I should be able to use it however I want. It's already mine!
      The tweak is My3G
    1. mamipig22's Avatar
      mamipig22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
      The tweak is My3G
      Now y'all see why the take over of tmobile by AT&T will be a detriment to consumers. Because it's just gonna be AT&T and verizon doing whatever they pleases with their customers. Imagine if we put more powers in the hand of AT&T, by them acquiring tmobile. We r screwed. ( power in the hand of a fool is a dangerous weapon) WMD.
    1. back9player's Avatar
      back9player -
      Quote Originally Posted by iN2K View Post
      Maybe Apple should buy...them all.

      lol
      Apple controlling hardware, software and service!? That could be really good or really bad...

      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      The infrastructure for much of your landline data has been there for ages. In other words, they are not going from edge, to 3g, to 4g, to whatever other fancy buzz words you want on an evolving basis. The cables are there, under ground, and have been for decades for the most part. It costs much more to run and maintain and upgrade wireless technology...
      That is nonsense. Landlines are constantly being upgraded to fiber and etc.. Fiber is expensive..
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      I have Unlimited Data & now they wanna Throttle it. BUT..it doesn't bother me..cause it's Still UNLIMITED..LMAO But what Verizon is Doing is Well....DUMB.
      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      That's pathetic...I think limited plans are stupid anyway, data is cheap.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by mamipig22 View Post
      Now y'all see why the take over of tmobile by AT&T will be a detriment to consumers. Because it's just gonna be AT&T and verizon doing whatever they pleases with their customers. Imagine if we put more powers in the hand of AT&T, by them acquiring tmobile. We r screwed. ( power in the hand of a fool is a dangerous weapon) WMD.
      I think it's pretty clear they already are doing whatever they please, no?

      Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post



      That is nonsense. Landlines are constantly being upgraded to fiber and etc.. Fiber is expensive..
      And you pay more for the lines that utilize this. The $40 20mbit plan that the person I quoted was talking about is most likely standard cable which has been around for ages.
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      Well It doesn't Bother me, like I said b4. I have Unlimited Data & even if they Throttle it back a bit...IT'S still unlimited, & I'm not gonna buy the iPhone5 aka 4(S).
    1. DaLsim's Avatar
      DaLsim -
      freaking build more towers, instead of pocketing the $$$ u make from us? So sooner R later we have to pay u just to turn our phone on? these stup*d company is getting more gready N gready... FU*K AT&T N VERIZON. 'I THINK THEY BOTH ARE BUTT BUDDY?" Take turn cleaning each other out...
    1. GenesisDH's Avatar
      GenesisDH -
      Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
      There will be a jailbreak tweak to correct the blockage I'm sure. I think it depends on how Verizon handles the blocking of FaceTime. This is just disgusting though. They are making the cost of data too high, and if I am paying for my data, I should be able to use it however I want. It's already mine!
      All it would require is to block the ports FaceTime uses for video on the unlimited plan. That would be difficult to bypass on an iPhone, even jailbroken. It would then require a secondary device connection like the MiFi...

      Remember Verizon told the FCC they were against net neutrality, so don't expect a different response...
      Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
      So far only Sprint still offers unlimited everything without a hassle. If they get the iPhone, I'm switching.
      They are already implementing limits to their prepaid brands (which are the money makers for them), so expect that to trickle to postpaid soon.
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      There IS a tweak for FaceTime over 3G. It's called, Tango,Skype,My3G if you have a iPad2 You can Use PDANet, MyWi 4.0. I DOUBT Verizon will be able to SEEK out those whom are data hogs on Unlimited Like At&t does although I COULD be wrong & they probably aren't as Fast at detecting it either.
    1. fbiryujin's Avatar
      fbiryujin -
      Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
      All it would require is to block the ports FaceTime uses for video on the unlimited plan. That would be difficult to bypass on an iPhone, even jailbroken. It would then require a secondary device connection like the MiFi...

      Remember Verizon told the FCC they were against net neutrality, so don't expect a different response...They are already implementing limits to their prepaid brands (which are the money makers for them), so expect that to trickle to postpaid soon.
      Then all hope is lost.