• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • You Like to Purchase Your Software on CDs, Apple Says Get a Life


    Perhaps I'm old curmudgeon at heart, but I like CDs, vinyl, and other forms of physical media. But, I'm in the digital minority. Most people download, pirate, and stream their media needs.

    Yesterday Apple extended everyone the courtesy of ditching physical CDs and DVDs for their retail software as well. It shouldn't come as a shock, Apple announced at WWDC that OS X Lion was going to be a digital download only through their Mac App Store.

    Eliminating physical retail versions of Apple's retail software does a few things. First, it forces consumers to completely integrate into the iTunes and App Store ecosystem. Apple likes control, and what better way to assume control over consumers and developers than limit consumer's ability to purchase software from third-party resellers.

    Second, it increases Apple's take home margins. Apple doesn't have to share any of the money with third-party resellers anymore, and doesn't have to spend money on pressing, boxing, and shipping CDs or DVDs. Also, it allows them to price their software more competitively, undercutting the competition, without sacrificing much, if any of the profits.

    Last, it frees up shelf space in their retail stores. Less space has to be dedicated to boring software boxes, and more space can be dedicated to awesome, fun, and interactive Apple toys. No one looks at a box and goes "ohhhh I want this." They play around with an iPad, or marvel at how slim the MacBook Air is, and happen to fool around with the software in the process. Any professionals who need the programs know where to get them. The Mac App Store.

    However, this does pose a problem for individuals who lack a fast, reliable internet connection. Downloading any muti-gigabyte program would be an exercise in patience. It would be much easier to simply pop in a disc and go, not mention the headache this is going to cause for IT professionals creating boot disks, and backups of software.

    Below is a list of boxed software declared "end of life" by Apple. Resellers were greeted with this notice yesterday:

    • MC171 Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 10 Managed Systems
    • MC172 Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 Unlimited Managed Systems
    • D4222 Xsan 2 VL 10+
    • D4223 Xsan 2 VL 10+ EDU INST
    • MC186 Xsan 2 Single License
    • MC189 Xsan 2 Media Set
    • D2977 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS SINGLE
    • D3132 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS SINGLE EDU INST
    • D2966 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS 10+
    • D3133 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS 10+ EDU INST
    • MB957 Aperture 3 Retail
    • MC455 Aperture 3 ZU Retail
    • MB959 Aperture 3 Upgrade
    • MC456 Aperture 3 ZU Upgrade
    • D4855 APERTURE 3 TRIAL ACTIV KEY RETAIL
    • D4857 APERTURE 3 TRIAL UPGRADE ACTIV KEY
    • MC623 iLife '11 Retail
    • MC625 iLife '11 Family Pack
    • MA371 Jam Pack : Remix Tools Retail
    • MA374 Jam Pack : Remix Tools Media Set
    • D3057 Jam Pack : Remix Tools VL 10-99 EDU
    • D3059 Jam Pack : Remix Tools VL 100-999 EDU
    • D3061 Jam Pack : Remix Tools VL 1000+ EDU
    • MA375 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section Retail
    • MA378 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section Media Set
    • D3063 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section VL 10-99 EDU
    • D3065 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section VL 100-999 EDU
    • D3067 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section VL 1000+ EDU
    • MA319 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra Retail
    • MA322 Jam Pack : Symphony Media Set
    • D3264 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra VL 10-99 EDU
    • D3265 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra VL 100-999 EDU
    • D3266 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra VL 1000+ EDU
    • MA211 Jam Pack : World Music Retail
    • D3545 Jam Pack : World Music VL 10-99 EDU
    • D3546 Jam Pack : World Music VL 100-999 EDU
    • D3547 Jam Pack : World Music VL 1000+ EDU
    • MA214 Jam Pack : World Music Media Set
    • MA990 Jam Pack : Voices
    • D4180 Jam Pack : Voices VL 10-99 EDU
    • D4181 Jam Pack : Voices VL 100-999 EDU
    • D4182 Jam Pack : Voices VL 1000+ EDU
    • MA993 Jam Pack : Voices Media Set
    • MB942 iWork '09 Retail
    • MB943 iWork '09 Family Pack
    • D4831 iWork '09 Retail Activation Key
    • D4898 iWork '09 Family Pack Activation Key


    Source: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: You Like to Purchase Your Software on CDs, Apple Says Get a Life started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
    1. Daerid's Avatar
      Daerid -
      Is there a way to take the digital do and burn it after you've bought it?
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
      Is there a way to take the digital do and burn it after you've bought it?
      why should you have to spend money twice? buy the software then buy blank CDs/DVDs to burn it?

      and

      what about all those not-so-tech-savvy people out there? I told my friend's mom to 'burn' a copy of MS Office and she said "what if I start a fire"

      and

      what if you don't have a connection and need to reinstall YOUR purchase?

      Steve Jobs is an ***, I really hate the way he sees the world.
    1. kingmofo's Avatar
      kingmofo -
      I called the apple store yesterday and said I have a really bad internet connection and I wanted to buy the lion osx on CD. She told me to bring my computer in and download it from the store. LOL!
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      But there are advantages to this system:
      • You can legally install the software on all computers you own.
      • This saves making the physical media, boxes and such. This saves cutting down trees, etc.
      • Since the physical media isn't shipped, this reduces the environmental costs of shipping as well

      I can't believe that anyone doesn't have access to a reliable internet connection these days. There are numerous connection options: DSL, Cable, 3G, 4G, Satellite, Wi-Max, Wifi at Starbucks/McDonalds/Etc., Apple Store Connection.

      INot everything is available everywhere, but at least two or three should be.
    1. vruls's Avatar
      vruls -
      Unrelated but I some how feel that music sounds better on the CDs in my car instead of when I plug in my USB
    1. SwatPac's Avatar
      SwatPac -
      Quote Originally Posted by vruls View Post
      Unrelated but I some how feel that music sounds better on the CDs in my car instead of when I plug in my USB
      Thats because Songs on CDs are .Wav Files (Good). The ones on USB are .Mp3 files (Crappy). Mp3 heavily compresses your music to save space (Not Good). You can put .Wav filed on your USB, but it will take much more space.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Who the hell is Apple to comment on how I like to get my software? Apple need to get a life and stop trying to control mine!!! Part of the reason why I hate Apple.

      Last time I downloaded a game, it had 4GB worth of data to download.
      Took hours to download, then more time to install. When the software takes a dump, good luck finding info just so I can redownload the damn thing again.
      I could have just drove to the nearest Gamestop/BestBuy and bought a copy, drive home and install. When the software crashes and I want to re-install, the disc is there ready to install again.
    1. slayorktc's Avatar
      slayorktc -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Who the hell is Apple to comment on how I like to get my software? Apple need to get a life and stop trying to control mine!!! Part of the reason why I hate Apple.

      Last time I downloaded a game, it had 4GB worth of data to download.
      Took hours to download, then more time to install. When the software takes a dump, good luck finding info just so I can redownload the damn thing again.
      I could have just drove to the nearest Gamestop/BestBuy and bought a copy, drive home and install. When the software crashes and I want to re-install, the disc is there ready to install again.

      Wait I don't see what's so hard about just burning a backup copy to disc and saving that for that rare situation where you don't have an Internet connection... Get on bored the train of...change...

      P.s It took me 20 minutes to pull down and 10 minutes to make bootable USB and bam, running lion and all it's glory.
    1. fishbone's Avatar
      fishbone -
      I wonder if Phillip and his whining followers realized that:

      1) you can get Lion install image and burn a perfect functional boot/installer Lion DVD from the downloaded package and use it to do a fresh Lion install whenever you want. Heck, you can even do it with a SD card or a USB drive, and if you live in a cave and don't have broadband internet yet, you could buy the license and just borrow the installer from you friend next door

      2) Apple already told that they WILL sell usb drives preloaded with Lion installer next month.

      All this fuzz makes me remember that same whining when Apple took floppy drivers away from original iMacs. I'm sure all whiners are looking to their boxes full of floppies filling up a locker with a bit of nostalgia... and if that's the case, forgive me, but you should REALLY get a life!!!
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by slayorktc View Post
      Wait I don't see what's so hard about just burning a backup copy to disc and saving that for that rare situation where you don't have an Internet connection... Get on bored the train of...change...

      P.s It took me 20 minutes to pull down and 10 minutes to make bootable USB and bam, running lion and all it's glory.

      #1 it is not Apple's business on how I get my programs.
      #2 you did not address the hours to download the damn thing.
      #3 why am I bothering with wasting hours dowlonading, then locate blank discs and figure out how to burn the large file to multiple discs (Jobs do not support BlueRay so it can not be burned onto 1... Nice Jobs).

      It all comes down to this:
      1. Spend minutes to go to store to buy the software versus hours to download.
      2. Got the discs to reinstall, don't have to worry about burning the program or bad disc or bad burn.
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      CDs are still good. You don't need to wait for the software to download and you have a physical copy of it. If only people started selling flash drives with software and other stuff pre-installed.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
      I wonder if Phillip and his whining followers realized that:

      1) you can get Lion install image and burn a perfect functional boot/installer Lion DVD from the downloaded package and use it to do a fresh Lion install whenever you want. Heck, you can even do it with a SD card or a USB drive, and if you live in a cave and don't have broadband internet yet, you could buy the license and just borrow the installer from you friend next door

      2) Apple already told that they WILL sell usb drives preloaded with Lion installer next month.

      All this fuzz makes me remember that same whining when Apple took floppy drivers away from original iMacs. I'm sure all whiners are looking to their boxes full of floppies filling up a locker with a bit of nostalgia... and if that's the case, forgive me, but you should REALLY get a life!!!
      Correct Apple will begin selling USB drives of Lion next month for 69$

      I bought Lion from the appstore last night and bought a flash drive and made a bootable copy to that last night for safe keeping.
    1. dz302's Avatar
      dz302 -
      Hi all. Im new to all this stuff but, when we backed up our original carbon copies we created .dmg files of them right? I'm gonna try that with the .dmg downloaded digital Lion install file!
      Hope it works don't know what'll happen but I'll post up my findings.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      The .dmg that you get from the appstore will not be bootable. You have to use the trick of showing package contents then navigating to the installESD.dmg file. That is the dmg you want to use to make boot disc or drive.
    1. omnipresent's Avatar
      omnipresent -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      But there are advantages to this system:
      • You can legally install the software on all computers you own.
      • This saves making the physical media, boxes and such. This saves cutting down trees, etc.
      • Since the physical media isn't shipped, this reduces the environmental costs of shipping as well

      I can't believe that anyone doesn't have access to a reliable internet connection these days. There are numerous connection options: DSL, Cable, 3G, 4G, Satellite, Wi-Max, Wifi at Starbucks/McDonalds/Etc., Apple Store Connection.

      INot everything is available everywhere, but at least two or three should be.
      so for example me. first to say i live on seaside in Spain and as many turists arriving for summer, the internet speed went down here rapidly. i'm paying for 6Mbps line but hardly ever get that in theese days. now im downloading Lion for two days already on speeds around 0.3 - 0.7 . that is real pain in the ***. but cant change it because the lines are so bussy that the speed went down in all the area around me. so does not help to go to mc donalds or internet caffee. so should i wait for wintertime when the turists are gone? would really appreciate to have an option purchase usb stick like the one they shipped with MBA's, its small, does not have to be in that huge volumes and would really help for some people.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      The only media I have in disc form are my Xbox360 games. Even the Snow Leopard, iLife and iWork discs that came with my Macbook Pro I ripped to ISO/DMG. I have a backup of the Lion InstallESD.dmg and also have it imaged to a USB stick.

      There's always the ability to burn a physical disc if you need it, but 99 times outta 100 you don't need the physical disc. It's quicker to mount an ISO/DMG anywho, the read times from a mounted image are faster than reading from the physical disc.