• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Excites with 64-Bit iTunes and Full-Screen Support


    On a day of jam-packed Apple news and exciting - not to mention long-awaited - software and hardware releases, iTunes wasn't left out in the cold by any stretch of the imagination. Apple has released iTunes 10.4 which follows the early Wednesday morning release of OS X Lion.

    The update to iTunes not only delivers 64 bit Cocoa support for OS X Lion users, but also packs full-screen support. Needless to say, "iTunes 10.4 is now designed for OS X Lion," Apple announced. "You can now use iTunes with OS X Lionís new Full-Screen App capability, which allows you to use iTunes and other apps without distractions. Navigate between full-screen apps with a simple gesture."

    Also embellishing the update further are much-needed stability and performance improvements. The only trade-off (if you even want to call it that) is that a few iTunes plug-ins are no longer going to play nice and be compatible with the new version of iTunes.

    For more information about Apple's complete slate of new products and offerings, check out Phillip Swanson's report this morning covering the release of OS X Lion, updated MacBook Airs, and the new Mac Minis.

    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Excites with 64-Bit iTunes and Full-Screen Support started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 42 Comments
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
      So you want them to add support for an OS thats basically unused? I'd be curious as to which version of 64 bit XP you have. If you have the version made for HP then you're using a discontinued OS That many many programs won't run on and if you're using the regular version once again you're using a soon to be discontinued OS seeing as they stopped releasing service packs for it years ago.



      Yes, you pretty much are. I hope you're running a good firewall too since as I mentioned your computer is woefully out of date and contains atleast 3 easy exploits and thats just off the top of my head.

      The only idiot is the one who hasn't upgraded their OS yet.
      That's right hardly no one runs XP anymore and Microsoft is going to stop releasing updates for it any day now. Oh I'm running the XP Pro Corporate version also. But regardless XP is a popular OS and there are people out there that are using the 64bit version. As far as upgrading, I won't waste the time or money to upgrade to 7 because it's not worth it in my opinion. But then again I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks 7 is junk. But it is nice to know I'm the only one in the world running XP x64.
    1. qumahlin's Avatar
      qumahlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      That's right hardly no one runs XP anymore and Microsoft is going to stop releasing updates for it any day now. Oh I'm running the XP Pro Corporate version also. But regardless XP is a popular OS and there are people out there that are using the 64bit version. As far as upgrading, I won't waste the time or money to upgrade to 7 because it's not worth it in my opinion. But then again I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks 7 is junk. But it is nice to know I'm the only one in the world running XP x64.
      Um no, i'm not talking about XP, i'm talking about XP 64 bit, which is already discontinued by MS, or haven't you noticed you haven't gotten a service pack update since 2009? Also while Windows 7 isn't the best thing in the world, its leaps and bounds ahead of what you're using now.

      This will be my last post on this, bottom line is your complaint is ridiculous. You're running an outdated OS. Expecting support for it and getting angry there is none is ludicrous.
    1. Stumbows's Avatar
      Stumbows -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Why else would I be running the 64bit version of XP your moron. Don't come on here and tell me to STFU, do you think were all morons here or something?



      No you can't, and I really shouldn't have to virtualize just because Apple is bright enough to make a version for XP x64.



      Seriously if this was my only machine how would I even be able to activate an iPad, iPhone, or iPod? Or am I the only one running Windows XP 64bit? It just doesn't make sense Apple
      Windows XP 64-bit was never a mainstream release and much before it's time.. Any 32bit application will run on a 64bit OS so just download the 32b iTunes and it won't make a world of difference for you. And if your computer is really powerful enough that it should be running 64bit then upgrade to Windows 7 and leave behind that nearly 10yr old OS please!
    1. luketinsley's Avatar
      luketinsley -
      Haha so many people arguing ^.^....maybe Apple just created the 64 bit version for the hell of it? Or maybe...they got bored? Who cares.
    1. Aussie in AZ's Avatar
      Aussie in AZ -
      I have found that iTunes for Windows 7 64 bit crashes ALL the time. If any one has some suggestions (other than reinstalling as I have tried that many times) it would be appreciated.
      I never had a problem with my XP laptop but my PC win7 64 iTunes SUCKS.
    1. santiagodraco's Avatar
      santiagodraco -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Now if thy would only get 64bit support for Windows XP. I can't believe them idiots never made a version for that. That's the computer that I have all my free hard drive space on and can't use the home sharing from my apple TV.
      Hmm, why would anyone write a new app for 64bit XP? They'd be idiots to waste their time.

      64bit Windows 7 is a different story.
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
      Um no, i'm not talking about XP, i'm talking about XP 64 bit, which is already discontinued by MS, or haven't you noticed you haven't gotten a service pack update since 2009? Also while Windows 7 isn't the best thing in the world, its leaps and bounds ahead of what you're using now.

      This will be my last post on this, bottom line is your complaint is ridiculous. You're running an outdated OS. Expecting support for it and getting angry there is none is ludicrous.
      Stop with the arguing. It isn't helping the situation at all. As you have saw before he said it isn't his only computer. Not only that people are free to express there thoughts as this is a community forum. Leave the insults to the playground as it shouldn't be used here. The only ridiculous thing is that your getting angry over a stupid thing. Now I call that ludicrous.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Okay the 32 bit version does not install on Windows XP 64bit. My whole point is apple was stupid never to put out a version for XP X64. Why would I upgrade when my computer runs perfectly fine on XP X64? I cannot think of a good reason to upgrade (downgrade) to Windows 7 because 7 sucks. It doesn't matter because my laptop has XP 32bit and I can run iTunes on there but it's still stupid for Apple not to have released a version for XP 64bit. So call me ludicrous for not upgrading to a POS OS I really don't care. Okay now lets all go back to the main topic because no one here seems to understand my point since I'm the only one in the world running Windows XP 64bit. So Apple, what are you going to tell someone that just bought a $829 iPad and can't activate it since you can't install iTunes?
    1. Alpha Zero's Avatar
      Alpha Zero -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Okay the 32 bit version does not install on Windows XP 64bit. My whole point is apple was stupid never to put out a version for XP X64. Why would I upgrade when my computer runs perfectly fine on XP X64? I cannot think of a good reason to upgrade (downgrade) to Windows 7 because 7 sucks. It doesn't matter because my laptop has XP 32bit and I can run iTunes on there but it's still stupid for Apple not to have released a version for XP 64bit. So call me ludicrous for not upgrading to a POS OS I really don't care. Okay now lets all go back to the main topic because no one here seems to understand my point since I'm the only one in the world running Windows XP 64bit. So Apple, what are you going to tell someone that just bought a $829 iPad and can't activate it since you can't install iTunes?
      They will tell you; you are an idiot for not checking the requirements that are clearly stated on the product packaging before dropping $829 on an iPad.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
      They will tell you; you are an idiot for not checking the requirements that are clearly stated on the product packaging before dropping $829 on an iPad.
      Sorry junior, it does not state on the box that you can not have a system running windows XP 64bit. And also do you really think Apple is going to call a customer an idiot?

      Windows System Requirements


      PC with USB 2.0 port
      Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
      iTunes 10.2 or later recommended
      (free download from Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now)
      iTunes Store account
      Internet access

      So junior, where does it say it requires XP 32 bit only?
    1. Alpha Zero's Avatar
      Alpha Zero -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Sorry junior, it does not state on the box that you can not have a system running windows XP 64bit. And also do you really think Apple is going to call a customer an idiot?

      Windows System Requirements


      PC with USB 2.0 port
      Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
      iTunes 10.2 or later recommended
      (free download from Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now)
      iTunes Store account
      Internet access

      So junior, where does it say it requires XP 32 bit only?
      Sorry son, but obviously Apple won't call a customer an idiot even though that is what they are thinking and it is obviously the case.
      So son, if you didn't notice where it says (let me bold it for you):
      Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
      So while it does not clearly state that it requires a 32 bit OS, it also clearly states you needs Windows XP running SP3 or later which, XP 64 is clearly not.
      Why not also cry that Apple didn't come out with iTunes for Microsoft DOS?
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      So where does it state that Windows XP X64 is not supported? And no daddy I'm not crying because I have 2 other computers that are XP 32 bit. So in those system requirements where does it say that Windows Vista X64 and Windows 7 X64 is supported? And no I'm not crying I'm simply arguing my point that Apple is stupid for not making iTunes compatible with XP X64 even though I'm the only one in the world that's running Windows XP X64. So what now Dad?
    1. Alpha Zero's Avatar
      Alpha Zero -
      Seriously? Are you just dense or something?
      SP3! It clearly states you need service pack 3. Microsoft never released SP3 for XP 64bit. It doesn't state 64 bit for Vista or Windows 7 because obviously regardless of what version of Vista or 7 you are running, iTunes is supported on those OS's.
      Is it really that hard to comprehend? Seriously?
      And no it's not stupid for them. It would be stupid for them to program and allocate resources to iTunes for Microsoft DOS or any other obsolete OS that clearly is not supported by even Microsoft. While you may not be the only one using XP 64 you are definitely in the minority.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
      Seriously? Are you just dense or something?
      SP3! It clearly states you need service pack 3. Microsoft never released SP3 for XP 64bit. It doesn't state 64 bit for Vista or Windows 7 because obviously regardless of what version of Vista or 7 you are running, iTunes is supported on those OS's.
      Is it really that hard to comprehend? Seriously?
      And no it's not stupid for them. It would be stupid for them to program and allocate resources to iTunes for Microsoft DOS or any other obsolete OS that clearly is not supported by even Microsoft. While you may not be the only one using XP 64 you are definitely in the minority.
      It's really not even worth the time arguing over this. So according to you I should upgrade/downgrade from XP x64 to XP 32bit just so I can use iTunes? Oh I just see the benefits of doing that, I can go from 8GB of RAM to 3.5 GB of RAM with the 32bit version of XP just to use iTunes. Yes I guess that's worth it right?
    1. Alpha Zero's Avatar
      Alpha Zero -

      Would you buy a dsl modem if no company in your area supplies dsl? Would it be the cable company's fault for supplying cable instead of dsl so you can use the dsl modem?
      They don't support XP 64 bit. It's as simple as that. If you don't like it, don't buy Apple products. If you insist on buying an Apple product, you will need to meet it's requirements to use it. The world does not revolve around you. The majority of users out there use XP 32 bit, Vista, or 7. It's that simple.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Geez all this fighting! Everyone relax!! Everyone raging over a 64-bit version of iTunes, and it's compatibility and or superiority with opposing OS's! Relax!

      iTunes is a apple product, yet they (apple) are responsible for making it work correctly on any system / OS they deem viable....such as Windows, which they are doing, and continue to do. Apple continues to update iTunes for windows for one reason...most iTunes users are windows users.

      Obviously, with iOS devices, apple is converting users faster than a Casey Anthony jury comes to a verdict. So who knows how much longer windows users will receive support / updates from apple. My guess is not that long. The cloud is the first step...PC free iDevices, eliminating the middle man (PC) from iOS life. It's genius!

      My advice for those that have Windows XP 64-bit and want to enjoy iTunes on windows in 64bit .... Why don't u try and google "Windows 7 64-bit torrent"!!
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      also worth noting that the entire ilife has gotten an update enabling fullscreen, as has iwork.


      Are you running windows xp 64bit? Do you have more than 4gb of ram?
      If you answer no to any other those questions, then stfu.

      What do you hope to achieve by having a fully 64bit itunes? Your music to sound better?
      i want less lag and more areo!
    1. santiagodraco's Avatar
      santiagodraco -
      Quote Originally Posted by pulseyork View Post
      Jesus, and people wonder why Mac users pity Windows enthusiasts.
      Exactly! After all it's not like Windows has full screen support. Wait I mean, hmm, oh it has forever.

      But at least I can go to the store and see the vastly larger selection of Mac software... er sorry, wrong again, I mean Windows software.

      But at least Mac's can run Windows - which strangely enough seems to be the primary thing Mac users buy it for....well that and mice with more than one button...

      As for the XP 64-bit argument....

      I'm a die hard Windows users and I have to say to you all... are you serious? XP 64 has never been a viable consumer or frankly anybody platform. If you are running XP 64bit and haven't moved to Windows 7 64bit you deserve not having better software.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      I have XP on all of my computers and will avoid Windows 7 as much as I can. I simply don't like it and think it's junk plain and simple but that's just me. I do have 2 computers that have 8GB of RAM and in order to utilize it I need a 64bit version of XP. Luckily the other computers are the 32bit version so I can at least update software on my iPad and put my multimedia on it. Bottom line is I should not have to upgrade/downgrade to Windows 7 just to accommodate Apple or to use their products. I have not had any issues at all with XP x64 so if it's not broke then don't fix it.
    1. qumahlin's Avatar
      qumahlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Bottom line is I should not have to upgrade/downgrade to Windows 7 just to accommodate Apple or to use their products. I have not had any issues at all with XP x64 so if it's not broke then don't fix it.
      You are using an OS that isn't even supported by its manufacturer anymore, so why would you expect other companies to support it. So yes, you should have to upgrade/downgrade as even the manufacturer is telling you "WE DON'T SUPPORT YOU USING THIS ANYMORE"

      The manufacturer of your OS expects you to upgrade/downgrade if you want to use their other software. So once again what is it you don't understand? Not to mention you asked where on the box it says your OS isn't supported and when someone pointed it out your only response was to say "its not worth my time arguing". Its because you were proved wrong and your argument is invalid. It says on the box you need SP3, SP3 does not exist for your OS because the manufacturer no longer supports it either. Truly this isn't an argument, because there is no real point of contention aside from your unrealistic expectations.

      The "bottom line" is that Apple told you upfront what OS you needed to run their software and use their products, you don't meet the requirements, but you feel its unfair of them to do that. Its the equivalent of walking into a restaurant that has a sign "no shirt, no shoes, no service" shirtless and then complaining when they throw you out