• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • NoCyfresh Toggle for SBSettings - Disable Cydia Auto-Refresh


    UPDATE: At ModMyi's discretion, we have decided that this package is unsafe as it replaces Cydia entirely. We have released an update to the package that allows you to remove this package. This is NOT released by the developer, this update is from ModMyi. You can still use this tweak at your own discretion, however we take no responsibility you run into problems with it.

    One of the biggest pet peeves I have with Cydia is the constant refreshing that takes place. Not only does the app want to refresh after opening, it seems to also want to do a full refresh every time you add a source, or install a new app.

    On my 3G, I probably spend over a minute just waiting to launch Cydia for the first time. Let alone the additional wait time if I am adding a source or new app.

    Now, I'm sure this auto-refreshing is there for a good reason. However, sometimes It's just not necessary to do a full refresh. Until now, I had always wished there was a way to toggle this on and off.

    Well now there is. iSpazio has released a toggle for SBSettings that will enable or disable the Auto-Refreshing performed in Cydia. This speeds up Cydia ten fold.

    I anticipate lots of these little things will be address in the newest cydia update by @saurik, but in the meantime, those who want a little speed boost will take full advantage of this toggle.

    Another win for the Jailbreak community!

    UPDATE FROM DEVELOPER: HOLY CRAP!. I didn't realize so many people are interested in it. I will be submitting an update to modmyi repo shortly. I dont know who put it in iSpazio but that was not with my permission.

    Ok submitted an update to modmyi this should help people having issues with the refresh still happening even though the toggle is on. Also the icons have been updated to be more clear.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: NoCyfresh Toggle for SBSettings - Disable Cydia Auto-Refresh started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 79 Comments
    1. devize's Avatar
      devize -
      wow, that sucks. has anybody else 'upgraded' and experienced this? I thought it looked sus so I thought I'd look it up/
    1. Hyperextension's Avatar
      Hyperextension -
      Update to my problem. I had my phone plugged in while searching online for others with this problem. The phone was on the apple logo for a good 5-10 minutes. Then all o a sudden I hear the "bong" noise that something is plugged into my computer!! Could it be? Yes. My phone started. I tested it all and it seems fine. Checked Cydia and removed anything NoCyFresh related. Things seem to be working fine now. Have resprung and rebooted a few times to make sure it will and yes it does. Thank God. I didn't feel like restoring at 3AM.
    1. tellytel's Avatar
      tellytel -
      i just deleted it from my packages. The update said it removed it but it was still showing installed. So i dont know whats going on wiht this app. I did like it though, i was using cydia alot more, hope they find a fix and reul it
    1. devize's Avatar
      devize -
      Yeah, I tried deleting some system files once because of a bad cydia install and had the same problem. Sat there for a good 5 mins with me sitting there all angry that I had to restore again but luckily it rebooted. Fixed the files and good to go.

      I don't know whats going on with the app, but the original developer is no longer working on the project so I don't trust it anymore.
    1. Dizz's Avatar
      Dizz -
      Wait, I don't get what is so dangerous about this. I received the update last night also but decided not to run it because I really like it that cydia doesn't refresh upon opening the app every time. Does anyone know what is so "Dangerous"?
    1. nathulal's Avatar
      nathulal -
      Err there is some confusion going on. I am the developer of the package.

      NoCyfresh 2.0 is not by me. Modmyi released this update in order to get the package removed. They are marking it unsafe because it replaces cydia. I am not sure how esle can I stop cydia from refreshing if I don't replace it. I can assure you there is no malicacous code in it. The project is also open source so people can go and check the code to see if there is any malicous code in it. The code page is listed under "Developer's Page" under the package description. Here is the URL silenttoggle - Project Hosting on Google Code This page is hosting both the silenttoggle code and the NoCyfresh Toggle code.

      I have emailed Kyle and waiting for his response on the matter.
    1. Dizz's Avatar
      Dizz -
      I'm leaving it installed. Seems legit to me.
    1. Kariodude's Avatar
      Kariodude -
      The reality is, someone decided that NoCyfresh is dangerous because it stops Cydia from refreshing every single time you open it. Why is this dangerous? Because you might not have up to date packages! But wait, how did you get this update to NoCyfresh that makes it stop working? Oh that's right, you refreshed Cydia yourself or had it turned off so that you could update it. Wait, does that mean you can have this toggle and still keep your packages up to date? YES! Amazing isn't it? NoCyfresh isn't dangerous, some people just don't like the idea of not auto-updating every time you open up Cydia.
    1. smoen02's Avatar
      smoen02 -
      If an app can be updated by someone other than the developer, this bothers me. I do a manual refresh every few days, and I was fine.

      It USED to be safe to assume that an update to an app was by the developer and was for legit purposes.

      Turns out this isn't the case. Where can I find a version of nocyfresh that does what it claims?
    1. nathulal's Avatar
      nathulal -
      Quote Originally Posted by smoen02 View Post
      If an app can be updated by someone other than the developer, this bothers me. I do a manual refresh every few days, and I was fine.

      It USED to be safe to assume that an update to an app was by the developer and was for legit purposes.

      Turns out this isn't the case. Where can I find a version of nocyfresh that does what it claims?
      ModMyi are the repo owners so technically they can change a package even without developer providing an update. Now ModMyI is a very reputable repo and you can trust them to not host something malicious. If you look at the current situation they are just trying to do that. They found that NoCyfresh replaces something in cydia and deemed it dangerous. So to protect the users they remove the package. But I want to explain to them that the source is open and anyone can audit it. If its not dangerous it should be hosted since there is clearly demand for it.

      Ok I got an email back from Kyle. Basically the jest of it is that they do not want to host any package that modifies Cydia period. So I will try to get package on my personal repo. From now on please follow the thread here. [ame=http://modyouri.com/showthread.php?t=9]NoCyfresh - Disable Cydia Autorefresh toggle - Modyouri Forums[/ame]

      I wont be following this thread any more.
    1. TooSlo's Avatar
      TooSlo -
      Is there an ETA on when this "Change" will be deleted from ModMyi's repo? I'm not really keen on having the push notification showing for Cydia since I keep it on the first springboard page.
    1. wim66's Avatar
      wim66 -
      You can get rid of the update notification.
      Go to /var/lib/dpkg and edit the status file.
      Search for Nocyfresh and change the version number to 2.0.0
      Open Cydia and the notification disappears.
    1. emresumengen's Avatar
      emresumengen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
      The reality is, someone decided that NoCyfresh is dangerous because it stops Cydia from refreshing every single time you open it. Why is this dangerous?
      The thing that's misunderstood is: It's not a possible problem because it stops the updates, it's because of changing Cydia... Why? Because, the change mechanism might be working today, on this version of Cydia. But that doesn't guarantee it would work on future versions. So, having it might mean you brick Cydia itself, if/when there's a new version of it.

      It seems a valid argument to me, but I must state that I loved the ability to decide if Cydia would update (and make me wait long long long) or not. (I can decide if I want the latest version or not, right? Since this is MY phone?)

      Quote Originally Posted by nathulal View Post
      ModMyi are the repo owners so technically they can change a package even without developer providing an update.
      Nathulal, what you say might be the practical case, but a host *SHOULD NOT* change what they are hosting. They can decide to "REMOVE" it, but it's not their code...

      I don't care if ModMyi is a reputable repo or not, this action just reminds me the same thing the whole scene is against to: Apple's Samurai Sword on AppStore and their lame restrictions.
    1. crashnburn_in's Avatar
      crashnburn_in -
      Quote Originally Posted by nathulal View Post
      Err there is some confusion going on. I am the developer of the package.

      NoCyfresh 2.0 is not by me. Modmyi released this update in order to get the package removed. They are marking it unsafe because it replaces cydia. I am not sure how esle can I stop cydia from refreshing if I don't replace it. I can assure you there is no malicacous code in it. The project is also open source so people can go and check the code to see if there is any malicous code in it. The code page is listed under "Developer's Page" under the package description. Here is the URL silenttoggle - Project Hosting on Google Code This page is hosting both the silenttoggle code and the NoCyfresh Toggle code.

      I have emailed Kyle and waiting for his response on the matter.
      Quote Originally Posted by nathulal View Post
      ModMyi are the repo owners so technically they can change a package even without developer providing an update. Now ModMyI is a very reputable repo and you can trust them to not host something malicious. If you look at the current situation they are just trying to do that. They found that NoCyfresh replaces something in cydia and deemed it dangerous. So to protect the users they remove the package. But I want to explain to them that the source is open and anyone can audit it. If its not dangerous it should be hosted since there is clearly demand for it.

      Ok I got an email back from Kyle. Basically the jest of it is that they do not want to host any package that modifies Cydia period. So I will try to get package on my personal repo. From now on please follow the thread here. NoCyfresh - Disable Cydia Autorefresh toggle - Modyouri Forums

      I wont be following this thread any more.
      Good. I hate Cydia refreshing every 5 mins. There are times I got in several times in an hour and I dont want it refreshing to the minute... At times I just want to browse whats already updated in Cydia.. and maybe remove some packages.. Who knows..!

      The way it delays everytime while loading is sick.
    1. Bizzlebob's Avatar
      Bizzlebob -
      For some reason, I have installed the NoCyfresh and Cydia continues to refresh EVERY time I open it! I didn't see the SBSettings Toggle,and I see why according to the original post... Anyone know what's going on with this? Thanks!
    1. seanpr123's Avatar
      seanpr123 -
      What's the story with this tweak?

      Are there two version with the same name? I have it on my phone and it works perfectly, and I went to put it on a friends but it doesn't seem to do anything and I can't get the toggle in sbsettings...

      Thoughts?
    1. HansZ's Avatar
      HansZ -
      Is there a fix for Cydia 1.1.1?
    1. MYPHONEI's Avatar
      MYPHONEI -
      If you want to ruin Cydia use this.

      It can destroy CYdia
    1. csingh's Avatar
      csingh -
      Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
      If you want to ruin Cydia use this.

      It can destroy CYdia
      it ruined my cydia. now i cant open. the damn thing just crashes.

      can anyone help me remove this damn thing?