• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • FaceTime Coming to Mac & PC


    Feel like you've been missing out on FaceTime because you don't have a new iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4G? Well fear not, as word is coming down the pipleline that Apple plans on bringing FaceTime to both the Mac and Windows operating systems.

    Mac4Ever rumors that Apple’s FaceTime video calling will be headed to Mac OS X in the form of an iChat update, but interestingly enough, it will also be coming to Windows. While it is unsure what form FaceTime will take in Windows, it is understood that FaceTime is built on open standards and has been released as an open standard, which means we could see it completely integrated into existing services like Skype, Windows Live Messenger, or even built right inside of iTunes.

    This would be a very smart move on Apple's part, thus making FaceTime a more universal concept that we could see spread like a virus. Doing this makes everyone connected with Apple's technology, iDevice or no iDevice. Back in 2009, Mac4Ever predicted well in advance, Apple's October 2009 iMac refresh, including the addition of an SD card slot and quad-core processor, however even through all of this, we will have to wait for official news from Apple.

    What are your thoughts on this rumor? I personally would love to see an iChat for Windows get released.


    This article was originally published in forum thread: FaceTime Coming to Mac & PC started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 46 Comments
    1. zoso10's Avatar
      zoso10 -
      So they're keeping the same functions as iChat but changing the name
    1. Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
      Bluemoldycheeze88 -
      This is cool, But I wonder if in the future if At&t will start to charge iphone users for facetime calls on Cellular Data.
    1. allanes5's Avatar
      allanes5 -
      I think this is great news.

      However, I would like to get facetime working on my jailbroke and unlocked ip4!!!
    1. Nefarious's Avatar
      Nefarious -
      That would be awesome
    1. Sir Allecrop's Avatar
      Sir Allecrop -
      Hopefully you will be able to do ft over 3G instead of just wifi
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      Finally! I have had my iPhone4 since camping out for five hours on the release date, and up to this point the only time I've gotten to use it was that creepy 800 number that Apple set up to test the feature out. It worked well that time, but there's something creepy about some dude walking me through features while I sit there in my drawers.


      Quote Originally Posted by Sir Allecrop View Post
      Hopefully you will be able to do ft over 3G instead of just wifi
      You can already do it over 3G. Use 3Gunrestrictor, Facebreak, or My3G. They are all available through Cydia or Rock. Jailbreaking, of course, is required.
    1. macsoldier's Avatar
      macsoldier -
      Finally this would be great, instead of using skype directly skype seems to have issues with hearing the other person talking when video is running, I think this would help alot of it goes to iTunes. Im sure it will be flooded but not as much as skype or other messengers.
    1. cqshe1423's Avatar
      cqshe1423 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ischol-ar View Post
      This would be awesome, forget PC users!!! Mac's only!! lol
      yeah, I really hope you're just kidding because this shows greediness. After all, this is not just a strictly for MAC users community only site. It benefits for all.
    1. BeachLivin88's Avatar
      BeachLivin88 -
      I've had my iPhone 4 since the day it came out and just used FaceTime for the first time yesterday! They definitely need to integrate this, FAST!
    1. M4tt Dam0n's Avatar
      M4tt Dam0n -
      "FACETIME COMING TO PC & MAC" IN BIG F***** LETTERS SO EVERYONE CLICKS ON THE DAMN ARTICLE. And at the end in tiny font: What dew u tink bout dis rumour!?!?"

      Starting to lose respect for this site.
    1. MindGem's Avatar
      MindGem -
      Rumors, all rumors!
    1. M4tt Dam0n's Avatar
      M4tt Dam0n -
      Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
      Because I'm not 10 and don't have a messenger account...messengers are riddled with little kids and perverts...it's a dying concept just like that chat rooms from the early 90's. Everyone has cell phones now...and myspace(teens/kids) and Facebook - those replaced chat rooms...chatting on a messenger via webcam is only for creepy people now!


      GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, OFF THE COMPUTER AND REJOIN SOCIETY! GO TO A BAR/CLUB/GYM OR EVEN CHURCH TO MEET SOMEONE.

      Anyway, it's different because people that will use this are people that want to see someone on the go that doesn't have an iPhone 4...perfect example, myself and my co-workers and millions of others...travel all over the US, and I wouldn't mind being able to connect to my fiancé back home and see her beautiful face and smile. (over 3G of course) =) anytime I wanted...instead of having to sit in front of my MacBook in my hotel room...One more thing...people need to move with technology! Stop fighting it, you will get left behind very quickly!
      I don't really see a difference, and your analogy sucks btw.

      Chatting via MSN is just chatting via a client. Facetime will just be another client and if it comes to PC and Macs you will have to make an account anyway or link it to an email so you can chat between facetime. Sure there's a lot of kids using windows messenger but it's also because it's the most popular client atm. I don't know what's the big deal. If the next windows messenger on the iPhone incorporates this, I don't see how this will be such a huge difference.

      And youre saying everyone using windows messenger is using this to meet people and chat with random strangers? Sorry but this has nothing to do with chat rooms. Stop generalizing, I myself use windows live messenger to video chat with my family that is 5000km away. I could also use skype but whatever it doesn't make a difference to me.

      Btw, Apple is slowly taking over the world. They started it with iTunes, now they have entered the mobile market with the appstore and now they want people to start using Facetime as a standard.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      i would definitely use it on my PC
    1. KingKac's Avatar
      KingKac -
      Would be a start of something awesome!
    1. Sir Allecrop's Avatar
      Sir Allecrop -
      Are there any talks of facetime over 3g
    1. SnR's Avatar
      SnR -
      This is awesome news! I can't wait to facetime with family.
    1. omar010's Avatar
      omar010 -
      They need to offer it as an app on the android....
    1. robertr1's Avatar
      robertr1 -
      I still don't get it how is this any different from skype?
    1. therandy's Avatar
      therandy -
      Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
      I don't really see a difference, and your analogy sucks btw.

      Chatting via MSN is just chatting via a client. Facetime will just be another client and if it comes to PC and Macs you will have to make an account anyway or link it to an email so you can chat between facetime. Sure there's a lot of kids using windows messenger but it's also because it's the most popular client atm. I don't know what's the big deal. If the next windows messenger on the iPhone incorporates this, I don't see how this will be such a huge difference.

      And youre saying everyone using windows messenger is using this to meet people and chat with random strangers? Sorry but this has nothing to do with chat rooms. Stop generalizing, I myself use windows live messenger to video chat with my family that is 5000km away. I could also use skype but whatever it doesn't make a difference to me.

      Btw, Apple is slowly taking over the world. They started it with iTunes, now they have entered the mobile market with the appstore and now they want people to start using Facetime as a standard.
      Whatever you say "creepy"!
    1. robertr1's Avatar
      robertr1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
      Whatever you say "creepy"!
      How is chatting with family on messenger creepy? You might as well say chatting with family on skype or now facetime is creepy too. They're all the same type of thing. Also, if it's a dying concept why have skype and apple taken that concept and built on it? The concept is chatting via webcam on the internet. That's what skype and apparently facetime on pc's and macs will do.