• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Shutters Camera+ App Over Easter Eggs



    Apple went on an Easter Egg hunt. And the result is clear. The boys and girls from Cupertino don't like "Easter Eggs" - added, or dare I say "secret" funtionalities not overtly stated in the app's description or illustrated in the app's submission.

    As with previous examples of developers who tried to sneak one past Apple, Camera+, a hugely popular iPhone camera app, has been yanked from the App Store for violating the so-called Easter Egg provision - the developer agreement that strictly prohibits untold or unauthorized functions.

    Immediately following Camera+ getting pulled earlier this week, developer Tap tap tap hadn't spoken out about the unceremonious dump. But now, the dev said they tried to initially be forthright about the function allowing users to engage the physical volume control button as a shutter button to snap pics. Apple said no to the move because it employed the volume buttons in a "non-standard way, potentially resulting in user confusing." Once the company revealed a workaround for the banished functionality, Apple said no dice and the app was gone.

    "While we're disappointed with their decision, we're at least happy that they're being perfectly clear about the exact reason for the rejection and that they're being consistent about it," the dev said on the official company blog. "I was told that overriding the volume controls is one of the most common reasons for app rejection."

    As reported by Apple Insider, the Camera+ app was enormously lucrative. In its first month alone, it generated $253,000 in sales. The following month, it made slightly more at $254,000.

    Tap tap tap
    Apple Insider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Shutters Camera+ App Over Easter Eggs started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 46 Comments
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      User confusion? Because people adjust the volume while trying to take a picture? Because people haven't pushed a button to take a picture for a hundred years? Apple is desperately trying to stick to one mantra, 'We know better than the people who buy out products.' This is just sad, sad, sad. Never thought a corporate ego or it's fanaticism could be so large and so stupid. Glad I got Camera+ before it was pulled. Shame is there's a bug that causes a picture to be taken as soon as you open the camera part. Now it won't get fixed. For a company that boasts having the worlds best mobile OS, they sure do have some really stupid and limiting 'features'. No setting your own text/mail received sounds after 4 years and 100 million odd devices and limiting interaction with a feature of a camera that's been around for a hundred years is pretty telling. Apple has an ego it just can't shake.
    1. Xtremeiphone's Avatar
      Xtremeiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
      can you say "Cydia" anyone? lol
      lol thats right. camera+ and snap tap are great ! lol
    1. zYxMa's Avatar
      zYxMa -
      Seriously, I think I'm gonna start writing apps :/ the problem is that they reject A lot of good apps which end up in cydia anyway. Apple is very selfish. I'm not quite certain WTF? There are few options, but you can't be sure with apple... although I'm just a fresh apple user...
    1. Tyronal's Avatar
      Tyronal -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      User confusion? Because people adjust the volume while trying to take a picture? Because people haven't pushed a button to take a picture for a hundred years? Apple is desperately trying to stick to one mantra, 'We know better than the people who buy out products.' This is just sad, sad, sad. Never thought a corporate ego or it's fanaticism could be so large and so stupid. Glad I got Camera+ before it was pulled. Shame is there's a bug that causes a picture to be taken as soon as you open the camera part. Now it won't get fixed. For a company that boasts having the worlds best mobile OS, they sure do have some really stupid and limiting 'features'. No setting your own text/mail received sounds after 4 years and 100 million odd devices and limiting interaction with a feature of a camera that's been around for a hundred years is pretty telling. Apple has an ego it just can't shake.
      So you're not a fanboy? One wonders why you choose to use apple stuff at all? You can change the message tones if you know how.

      Oh, you never got back to me with those so called "facts" about apple dude.You know, how they force users to buy new stuff. WTF. You have no cred, troll. My BS meter is on and you're in the crosshairs.
    1. area51crypto's Avatar
      area51crypto -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      That is a lot of money a month
      And what was Apple's profit on the app?

      Kinda like cutting you nose off to spite your face.
    1. Halten77's Avatar
      Halten77 -
      I own Camera+ and have the latest and last version. It's a really cool app. LOADS of nice features... It got pulled and I didn't even know... A question... I paid for the app... And good $$. Will apple use their "KillSwitch" to prevent me from using it?
    1. area51crypto's Avatar
      area51crypto -
      I would almost bet on it.
    1. evolasme's Avatar
      evolasme -
      I have the app as well.. anyone wanna tell me where the Easter egg is to make the volume button act as a shutter... id like that feature
    1. washamur's Avatar
      washamur -
      Quote Originally Posted by evolasme View Post
      I have the app as well.. anyone wanna tell me where the Easter egg is to make the volume button act as a shutter... id like that feature
      EDIT: Nevermind - found it:

      Go to safari on your phone and enter the following in the address bar:

      camplus://enablevolumesnap

      Press Go, and it should launch the Camera+ app

      To disable the feature, go back to safari and enter the following in the address bar:

      camplus://disablevolumesnap

      Presto!
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
      So you're not a fanboy? One wonders why you choose to use apple stuff at all? You can change the message tones if you know how.

      Oh, you never got back to me with those so called "facts" about apple dude.You know, how they force users to buy new stuff. WTF. You have no cred, troll. My BS meter is on and you're in the crosshairs.
      Don't care what you think about me. Go away.
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Camera+ didn't violate any SDK terms.

      Unless they secretly added that rule. Such a shame.
    1. poetofsound's Avatar
      poetofsound -
      Is there anyway to obtain the app if we don't have it?
    1. 2Jaze's Avatar
      2Jaze -
      Quote Originally Posted by vegassteven View Post
      Yeah, it will make like... $100.00 a month!! Get real.
      I support Cydia devs but there's no way in he'll any cydia all is making HALF A MILLION DOLLARS IN 2 MONTHS.


      Typed this with your iPhone didn't ya
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
      Camera+ didn't violate any SDK terms.

      Unless they secretly added that rule. Such a shame.
      I think the sdk rules state there can be no hidden features and they can use external buttons inside the app. Stupid rule in this case and they broke the rules, even though they tried twice to include the feature. Apples reasoning is dumb in this case because pressing a button to take a picture even if it's a volume button is in no way confusing. It's another example of draconian rules. I can see why they did it, but no one that is smart enough to take a picture would be confused about pressing a button. Every single person I've shown this has either said 'cool!' or, 'why isn't there a button anyway?' Another one of Apples 'Think the way we want you to' ways.
    1. LastSonOfKrypton's Avatar
      LastSonOfKrypton -
      I missed this I wish I had known about the app. I own SnapTap but it's not working on iOS4 or iPhone 4 (I forget which, maybe both) right now so I'm stuck waiting Boo!
    1. adamnur's Avatar
      adamnur -
      Holy ****...that's a lot of revenue! Unbelievable...wish I knew something about making apps.
    1. RockMeOn's Avatar
      RockMeOn -
      Does Apple believe that we are so Stupid that we will get confuse with the functionality of the volume button. That's ********, we are Apple Fan...and call our selves a GEEK, so please Apple Stop Underestimating us..
    1. OneCrayon's Avatar
      OneCrayon -
      They can't use killswitch on jailbreak iphone.

      I don't know why Comicreader Mobi never got this much attention when it was killed for similar non-approved function and the developer banned for 1 year.
    1. santacruzlocal's Avatar
      santacruzlocal -
      There should be a mailing list of sorts so you can get this info before Apple finds out
    1. keith4298's Avatar
      keith4298 -
      I wrote to Apple complaining that they can't support my app if it's not in the store and they credited my account or $1.99. Does that money come from the developer? If so, I'll send it to them direct. If not - woo hoo!