• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iChatr Pulled From App Store Over "Inappropriate" Use



    It will come as little surprise to many that the iChatr app has been removed by Apple. To be sure, nothing was wrong with the app itself. The problem, however, had to do with how people were using it. Often likened to Chatroulette in concept, iChatr lets users randomly connect with other users via the iPhone 4 - sort of like what an internet dating service would provide, minus all the needless attention on predetermined compatibility.

    As it turns out, Apple felt it had no choice but to pull the plug after one too many complaints were filed noting that users were... shall we say, using iChatr inappropriately. As reported by 9to5Mac, "The iChatr application has currently been removed from the App Store due to reports of a number of users exposing themselves during the random video chat sessions." Oh, the joys of a front-facing smartphone camera! And unless the developer figures out a way to curb this unfortunate trend, it looks as though iChatr won't be able to call the App Store home. Of course, it is a safe bet that any app capable of randomly pairing iPhone 4 owners in a video chat will ultimately have similar problems.

    A few days after iChatr was released, I was contacted by more than a few iChatr users who expressed their concern with the company they found themselves keeping. Although no one reported the same problem to me that allegedly caused Apple to swiftly yank the app, one MMi reader bluntly put it this way: "I've never met creepier people in my life." To be fair, it's nearly impossible to fault the app's makers, Apple, or the iPhone 4 for this issue. Whenever random video chats are possible, the possibilities (good or bad) are endless. And it's only a matter of time before incidents like these are "exposed" - pun intended.

    9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iChatr Pulled From App Store Over "Inappropriate" Use started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 133 Comments
    1. smooth22's Avatar
      smooth22 -
      LOL! the pervs won this battle..
    1. blainesill's Avatar
      blainesill -
      Is there any way to still get the app? Or any banned apps for that matter? Google brought up nothing.
    1. ~rage's Avatar
      ~rage -
      @gellbrake

      Sorry, mate. I have to call BS! if only for the mere fact that that kind of reasoning is broken. It's like saying blockbuster or best buy shouldn't sell pg-13 or rated R movies because even though a grown up may purchase it their five year old may see it.

      Is that really the road we want to head down?

      IMO, it's called personal responsibility and we should force it upon ourselves more instead of expecting a corporation to tell us what we're smart enough to handle properly and police our morals.
    1. thor740's Avatar
      thor740 -
      What did they expect people to use this front facing camera for? Talking to their kids like in the comercial, of course not. People should be able to do what they want with their phones
    1. ~rage's Avatar
      ~rage -
      @iphone?3gs

      Even though your post was pretty poorly written and right off the bat you resorted to personal attacks rather than letting your (weak) argument stand on its on, allow me to respond to the one point you did manage to properly get across.

      Yes, their are a LOT of kids with itouch's and iPhone's but do you really expect to tell people that because of that fact and the fact that a lot of parents(yes, because whether you want to admit it or not THAT'S were the responsibility for children ultimately lies, their PARENTS), so because some parents neglect to put basic limits on what their kids can and cannot have, see, or buy...the rest of the world has to be restricted for their sake?

      Yea, I don't think that's gonna fly.
    1. GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
      GellBrake'rrrr -
      Quote Originally Posted by ~rage View Post
      @gellbrake

      Sorry, mate. I have to call BS! if only for the mere fact that that kind of reasoning is broken. It's like saying blockbuster or best buy shouldn't sell pg-13 or rated R movies because even though a grown up may purchase it their five year old may see it.

      Is that really the road we want to head down?

      IMO, it's called personal responsibility and we should force it upon ourselves more instead of expecting a corporation to tell us what we're smart enough to handle properly and police our morals.
      Were not talking about PG-13 here. It's c0ck in your face! And if that's what you want, then keep fighting for what you believe in!!! There is a difference between bad language and straight up "WHAT YOU WANT IN "YOUR" FACE", let's draw the line somewhere. Like I said... It's what a corporate GIANT should do. It's what's best for the company. And having another lawsuit on their hands for an app that they didn't even design isn't worth it right???

      I could care less what they do with it... if you were to read the post "corectly", you would see that i'm not on either side of the fence. Just stating that i could see why it might have happened.

      So, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT fot that c0ck in your face!!!!
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      Welcome to the video version of what Twinkle has become. ugh
    1. ~rage's Avatar
      ~rage -
      Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
      Were not talking about PG-13 here. It's c0ck in your face! And if that's what you want, then keep fighting for what you believe in!!! There is a difference between bad language and straight up "WHAT YOU WANT IN "YOUR" FACE", let's draw the line somewhere. Like I said... It's what a corporate GIANT should do. It's what's best for the company. And having another lawsuit on their hands for an app that they didn't even design isn't worth it right???

      I could care less what they do with it... if you were to read the post "corectly", you would see that i'm not on either side of the fence. Just stating that i could see why it might have happened.

      So, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT fot that c0ck in your face!!!!
      Lol. Sorry, if you took my post as an attack against you, i promise you it wasn't. I was just laying out that it's dangerous when you just start banning things because their IS that potential for abuse. I mean, who's to say what's on the line and what's crossing it. Hell, tomorrow Apple COULD decide that a kid potentially being exposed to cursing IS just as bad and by the logic you put forth they should take drastic steps to "cover their A" and they'd be completely in the right.

      Now, if the developers had explicitly marketed the app as a "SEE COCK HERE* app then yes, it should have been pulled, not to mention not approved in the first place. But that's not the case and as it stands, whether you care for the particular app or not(me? i could care less), imo, Apple went a bit overboard in their quest to keep the world 'pure'.
    1. Taniban's Avatar
      Taniban -
      Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
      So, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT fot that c0ck in your face!!!!
      it could work the other way round... It could be p*s*y in your face too.

      Personally I feel Apple done the right thing here. They need to make sure their image cannot be tainted by this app. Of course one can say 'when it's gonna end? What stops apple from banning less major scenarios like this one etc..' but I feel this is where common sense should prevail. I trust apple will have the sense to do the right thing and if they don't I'm sure people will complain.
    1. yentrog31's Avatar
      yentrog31 -
      I swear it's getting harder and harder to show your junk anymore.
      ...pardon the pun.
    1. GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
      GellBrake'rrrr -
      [QUOTE=~rage;5350415]@iphone?3gs

      Even though your post was pretty poorly written and right off the bat you resorted to personal attacks rather than letting your (weak) argument stand on its on, allow me to respond to the one point you did manage to properly get across.

      Yes, their are a LOT of kids with itouch's and iPhone's but do you really expect to tell people that because of that fact and the fact that a lot of parents(yes, because whether you want to admit it or not THAT'S were the responsibility for children ultimately lies, their PARENTS), so because some parents neglect to put basic limits on what their kids can and cannot have, see, or buy...the rest of the world has to be restricted for their sake?


      And while you scurry to jab back at my reply, you might want to keep from knocking someone else's grammar. You however, managed to complete a HUGE couple of paragraphs that were nothing but two run-on sentences, with a couple of grammar errors of your own.

      You might wanna check yourself before you wreck yourself!!!
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
      right now im really mad... for reasons yall dont need to know but anyways... some of yall are pervs... would u like your daughter or wife or mother on there like that seeing and doing all that stuff? or would you like to see ur son or brother showing his junk to you? wait some of u prob wouldnt care and just sit there and watch like the little pervs some of you are... No matter how much yall say Apple isnt the moral police they kinda are.... its there responsibility to keep crap off the app store.. there are already enough pervs and weirdos in the world.... there are millions of kids with ipod touchs and iphone that dont need to go to the appstore and check out the top apps and see stuff like that and turn into.... even if it is marked explicit, most of the kids dont have a parental control on there account or will get hold of it.... i know there are already enough sources that give that stuff and kids can get hold of it but there dosent need to be another.... if yall want this stuff then sure go to android.... im with apple on this one

      Calm down Pope John Paul. If a young adult decides they wanna test an app like this knowing that idiots out there might be yanking their man poles, then by all means it's their choice to do so. Is a picture of some weirdo yankin their junk really gonna affect you? Close the app. You people over-react to crap way too much. If my mom or sister were on their then it's THEIR DECISION TO BE THERE! They're adults. If they were underage then still, it's just the human body they're looking at if THEY SO CHOOSE TO. You morality cops need to stfu and take care of your OWN issues and stop worrying about what others are doing. I could care less about this stupid app and the douchebags that yank their wanks to random people, but at the same time wont get all emo over something so damn petty in life over sexual expression regardless of what YOU dopes think about it. Go tell Jesus how you feel and stop crying. Hypocrites. Close the app or dont use it. Simple, like your minds.
    1. GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
      GellBrake'rrrr -
      Quote Originally Posted by ~rage View Post
      Lol. Sorry, if you took my post as an attack against you, i promise you it wasn't. I was just laying out that it's dangerous when you just start banning things because their IS that potential for abuse. I mean, who's to say what's on the line and what's crossing it. Hell, tomorrow Apple COULD decide that a kid potentially being exposed to cursing IS just as bad and by the logic you put forth they should take drastic steps to "cover their A" and they'd be completely in the right.

      Now, if the developers had explicitly marketed the app as a "SEE COCK HERE* app then yes, it should have been pulled, not to mention not approved in the first place. But that's not the case and as it stands, whether you care for the particular app or not(me? i could care less), imo, Apple went a bit overboard in their quest to keep the world 'pure'.
      I'll agree with you there. But "I BELIEVE" that if there is an app that could be as harmful as this, then there should be some sort of age approval EVERY TIME A PERSON LOGS IN!! That could at least keep those who want to use it available to per such person. Yet, at the same time keep those who are not so intelligent from entering a zone that is from by no means PG-13.
    1. sami4021's Avatar
      sami4021 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
      I'll agree with you there. But "I BELIEVE" that if there is an app that could be as harmful as this, then there should be some sort of age approval EVERY TIME A PERSON LOGS IN!! That could at least keep those who want to use it available to per such person. Yet, at the same time keep those who are not so intelligent from entering a zone that is from by no means PG-13.
      Because its not hard to say i was born in 19xx right?
    1. Dayvidpriddy's Avatar
      Dayvidpriddy -
      What exactly did Apple think was going to happen by adding video chat? I mean really...the world is the most horniest they've ever been! BRING IT ON!
    1. ~rage's Avatar
      ~rage -
      Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
      I'll agree with you there. But "I BELIEVE" that if there is an app that could be as harmful as this, then there should be some sort of age approval EVERY TIME A PERSON LOGS IN!! That could at least keep those who want to use it available to per such person. Yet, at the same time keep those who are not so intelligent from entering a zone that is from by no means PG-13.
      But there are a LOT of apps that are as "harmful" as this one in the app store right now that don't have all these age verification measures you say this one should have. All they have is that "You must be 17+ to download warning" and that's all. Shouldn't we demand those to be pulled to? And what about Facetime? Shouldn't Apple disable it, too because though it may be to a lesser extent, there's still the possibility for abuse.


      [quote=GellBrake'rrrr;5350431]
      Quote Originally Posted by ~rage View Post
      @iphone?3gs

      Even though your post was pretty poorly written and right off the bat you resorted to personal attacks rather than letting your (weak) argument stand on its on, allow me to respond to the one point you did manage to properly get across.

      Yes, their are a LOT of kids with itouch's and iPhone's but do you really expect to tell people that because of that fact and the fact that a lot of parents(yes, because whether you want to admit it or not THAT'S were the responsibility for children ultimately lies, their PARENTS), so because some parents neglect to put basic limits on what their kids can and cannot have, see, or buy...the rest of the world has to be restricted for their sake?


      And while you scurry to jab back at my reply, you might want to keep from knocking someone else's grammar. You however, managed to complete a HUGE couple of paragraphs that were nothing but two run-on sentences, with a couple of grammar errors of your own.

      You might wanna check yourself before you wreck yourself!!!
      Dude! Lol, to be clear, I'm not trying to start a war with you. Just trying to have a simple discussion

      Also, I wasn't knocking his grammar so much as I was calling him out on bashing all who disagreed with him. Sorry, but "ANYONE WHO DOESN'T ... AGREE ...WITH ME IS A PE..RV!!" is not a proper way to speak to people.
    1. PWNsyst3m's Avatar
      PWNsyst3m -
      Ah man I was really looking forward to watching other dudes jergen their gergen on the retina display. Now my aspirations in life are ruined.
    1. ~rage's Avatar
      ~rage -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zystem View Post
      Ah man I was really looking forward to watching other dudes jergen their gergen on the retina display. Now my aspirations in life are ruined.
      LMAO! I know right? Such a disappointment. Guess we'll have to wait until the new iPorn is released. I hear it's super smexy.
    1. Dayvidpriddy's Avatar
      Dayvidpriddy -
      LOL the more I think about it I would have paid to see the expressions on peoples faces who were actually offended by being flashed on the phone. That is so f'n funny!
    1. Wilbourn's Avatar
      Wilbourn -
      I saw this app in the app store and all I could think of was the Tosh.0 episode with Chatroulette lol.... it was only a matter of time before this would happen