• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 5 Beta Is Out


    Apple just released iOS 5 beta 2 for those fortunate enough to have a developer account. Or those of you who care enough to find the firmware through the necessary back channels.

    The release notes from Apple highlight only one new known feature, the ability to finally sync your iDevice wirelessly via Wi-Fi syncing. The beta is available for the iPPhone 4, 3GS, 4th Gen iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad 2. Users must also be upgraded to OS X 10.6.8 or be running an early build of OS X Lion. Expect a litany of updates dissecting all the new features and changes Apple didn't announce as the iOS community digs into the new beta release.

    The big question though, is the updated beta version of iOS 5 still jailbreakable? Dev Team developer MuscleNerd confirmed via Twitter that the new beta 2 is jailbreakable using the latest version of RedSn0w. Users will need to point RedSn0w to iOS 5 beta 1 however.

    As usual, do not upgrade your iDevice to iOS beta 5 unless you know the the deuce you are doing. There is the strong possibility your iDevice could become a useless brick, so proceed with caution.

    Source: CNET
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 5 Beta Is Out started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 57 Comments
    1. Blufox's Avatar
      Blufox -
      As far as I can tell, WiFi syncing only works on OSX for now.

      Most people on here need to understand that whining about it not working on Windows is rather pointless at this stage of development. These are DEVELOPER releases. You can more than likely count on one hand how many iOS developers out there are developing on Windows machines, and Apple could care less about them anyways considering one of the 'requirements' for developing for iOS is that you are on OSX.

      So Windows users sit back and wait on your release, which will more than likely be a lot closer to public release.
    1. rel1215's Avatar
      rel1215 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
      As far as I can tell, WiFi syncing only works on OSX for now.

      Most people on here need to understand that whining about it not working on Windows is rather pointless at this stage of development. These are DEVELOPER releases. You can more than likely count on one hand how many iOS developers out there are developing on Windows machines, and Apple could care less about them anyways considering one of the 'requirements' for developing for iOS is that you are on OSX.

      So Windows users sit back and wait on your release, which will more than likely be a lot closer to public release.
      I'm fairly certain that to develop for iOS you have to be using a Mac. So Mac only makes complete sense right now.
    1. shmootz's Avatar
      shmootz -
      I successfully updates to iOS 5b2 on both my iPad 2 Wifi and iPhone 4 GSM. The problem is that I don't see a "Sync over Wi-Fi connection" anywhere in iTunes 10.5b43. I have looking in the summary tab of my devices in iTunes, and no option to be found

      Can anyone assist me ? Thanks!
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Have you done a restart? Seems that a few people had this happen but a restart worked. And make sure you are on 10.6.8 or Lion?
    1. shmootz's Avatar
      shmootz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      Have you done a restart? Seems that a few people had this happen but a restart worked. And make sure you are on 10.6.8 or Lion?
      I was actually on 10.6.7, and forgot to update that. Everything with the update worked, except that. Now I have updated to 10.6.8 and all solved. Thanks!
    1. theman1232's Avatar
      theman1232 -
      is anyone having problems with ui-settings for ios5 not showing up?
    1. DevouredDreams's Avatar
      DevouredDreams -
      Quote Originally Posted by theman1232 View Post
      is anyone having problems with ui-settings for ios5 not showing up?
      reboot your phone.
    1. happiicamper's Avatar
      happiicamper -
      Exchange Mail: Can anybody running exchange mail tell me if mail is still limited to only 30 days back, instead of unlimited like in IOS 4...

      Thanks in advance...
    1. energiesource's Avatar
      energiesource -
      Do you know if your registered UDID will work for all the betas or if you have to resubmit it every beta that comes out?
    1. PathKiller29's Avatar
      PathKiller29 -
      Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
      I heard to do the WiFi sync, your iDevice must be plugged into a charger of some sort... Can anyone confirm this? (This would make sense since it could be problematic if the iDevice were syncing or backing up data and it dies halfway through the process).
      it will automatically sync if the conditions are correct (on same wifi plugged in)
      or u can self invoke it through settings, but it's highly recommended to plug it into a power source
    1. Du Blex's Avatar
      Du Blex -
      Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
      it will automatically sync if the conditions are correct (on same wifi plugged in)
      or u can self invoke it through settings, but it's highly recommended to plug it into a power source
      I sync my phone on Wi-Fi without it being plugged it. It's just like magic hahaha
    1. PathKiller29's Avatar
      PathKiller29 -
      I can see the head lines now
      "Apple restores JailBreakers over the air"
    1. iFrosty's Avatar
      iFrosty -
      It works really well.
      I used it on my ipad 2 without any issues. Plus i was able to sync my phone (tethered) and my ipad 2 (wifi) at the same time. I dont remember being able to sync multiple devices before.
    1. Bears_Fan's Avatar
      Bears_Fan -
      So I did something really dumb: Updated iTunes to Beta 2 instead of doing my phone first. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to get beta 2 on my phone. I've currently got error 3194 which I deleted Saurik's host info. I've restarted iTunes and that didn't work. If I put my phone into DFU will I be able to bypass that error or would I be better off restoring my phone on another computer and bring the phone back to my regular iTunes afterwards. I'd hate to unistall itunes and re-install all the programs back. Any ideas? Or anyone else successful in this type of screw up. Thanks.
    1. PathKiller29's Avatar
      PathKiller29 -
      im pretty sure u need iTunes 10.5 b2 to use iOS5 b2

      other wise it won be recognized.
      why would the iTunes need to be installed after?
      i installed itunes first then updated to iOS5b2
      and much quicker and easier then it was for iOS5 b1
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      Quote Originally Posted by energiesource View Post
      Do you know if your registered UDID will work for all the betas or if you have to resubmit it every beta that comes out?
      If your UDID is registered you don't need to register again. All betas will work for your device after your UDID is registered.

      Update on sync: A tethered charge (within range of your wifi network) will auto sync with iTunes if your computer (on the same wifi network) is running at the time of the charge. You don't have to plug in your device for wifi sync to work every time (once iOS 5 goes golden). There is a button in Settings that allows you to manually sync over wifi (untethered).
    1. Bears_Fan's Avatar
      Bears_Fan -
      Read all over twitter that it mentioned in the dev release notes that the iphone beta needs to be installed first...

      Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
      im pretty sure u need iTunes 10.5 b2 to use iOS5 b2

      other wise it won be recognized.
      why would the iTunes need to be installed after?
      i installed itunes first then updated to iOS5b2
      and much quicker and easier then it was for iOS5 b1
    1. PathKiller29's Avatar
      PathKiller29 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bears_Fan View Post
      Read all over twitter that it mentioned in the dev release notes that the iphone beta needs to be installed first...
      this was said by apple
      Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
      iTunes

      The version of iTunes that comes with beta 2 cannot sync devices that have the beta 1 software installed. To avoid this problem, do the following:
      Sync any devices that have beta 1 installed to the version of iTunes that came with beta 1.
      Upgrade iTunes to the version that comes with beta 2.
      Connect the device and install the beta 2 software. (Understand that you might see a failure to sync error when you first connect the device.)
      After installing the beta 2 software, restore from your the backup you made in step 1.
      so just sync before updating...
      i dont know, but i installed iTunes before doing anything, then i backed up my phone on the new iTunes (while running iOS5b1)
      and NO ERRORS
      the only error i had was trying to use update instead of Restore...
      now im running iOS5b2 with DreamBoard and Everything
    1. dveer's Avatar
      dveer -
      Quote Originally Posted by happiicamper View Post
      Exchange Mail: Can anybody running exchange mail tell me if mail is still limited to only 30 days back, instead of unlimited like in IOS 4...

      Thanks in advance...
      It's still just 1 month back.
    1. Bears_Fan's Avatar
      Bears_Fan -
      Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
      this was said by apple


      so just sync before updating...
      i dont know, but i installed iTunes before doing anything, then i backed up my phone on the new iTunes (while running iOS5b1)
      and NO ERRORS
      the only error i had was trying to use update instead of Restore...
      now im running iOS5b2 with DreamBoard and Everything
      Ok so what's the best way to get rid of iTunes error 3194? I'm on beta 2 iTunes and beta 1 iPhone

      I sync'd yesterday so that backup is fine with me.