• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Officially Going to War Against Jailbreaking



    Apple is officially in the market for a new top cop on their jailbreak police force. With the booming business that is jailbreaking only growing bigger by the day, Apple is planning to seriously crack down on the ease with which hackers exploit the iPhone platform and modify their devices' operating systems.

    And Apple isn't making any secret of its intentions. In fact, a new position is posted for all to see on the company's website. They are hoping in the very near future to fill the position of "iPhone OS Platform Security Manager" - aka, a jailbreak cop.

    Apple Insider reports that "The company is looking for someone to oversee its team which ensures secure booting and installation of the iPhone OS and protecting and hardening it against outside threats."

    It's not clear whether the position is new, or if Apple is looking to replace someone on an existing team. The Santa Clara Valley job was posted on Oct. 16, 2009.
    It seems plausible that this is an entirely new position altogether at the company, as Apple is likely surprised with how easily and readily the iPhone is being jailbroken by more users than they can possibly imagine. Consequently, the obvious purpose of this position is to invent and erect as many barriers to jailbreaking as possible.

    Sounds like Apple is really going to war with jailbreakers this time.

    It has been a long back-and-forth battle between Apple and hackers since the iPhone debuted in 2007. While those working to crack the phone have, until now, been able to maintain their ability to run unauthorized code, Apple, at the moment, appears to have the upper hand. The most recently updated iPhone 3GS, released mid-cycle in October, requires what is known as a "tethered jailbreak," meaning that the iPhone must be attached to a computer via USB and have a hack applied each time it is restarted.

    Image via revolver360


    Thanks to Melech518 for the heads up!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Officially Going to War Against Jailbreaking started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 164 Comments
    1. Bianca's Avatar
      Bianca -
      Look JMO though..... they want to do exactly as someone said here on this thread what happen to Napster...Well
      what happen to Napster you dont here a peep the them anymore...as you all know why.. this is what is going to happen to apple seriously....No matter what they do to protect there OS there is always someone who is smarter..
      Just remember that...

      And now with Android going at full Force watch out apple there coming.. We don't care if you have 100,000 apps
      we just like to do whatever on OUR phones it's mine and thats it...
    1. mahgninnuc93's Avatar
      mahgninnuc93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by matthew1111 View Post
      If we jailbreakers get stopped by this, hello to android...But seriously? Apple can't stop whats been going on for 2 years already at least. They can try, but the devs will always find away, even tethered. I just hope that it doesn't become officially illegal.
      It cannot be "illegal". In order for something to be illegal either local or federal law makers would have to pass a law making it illegal to jailbreak an iPhone. NOT gonna happen.

      As far a Apple goes, it's the mentality of our product F-U consumer that is making this a problem. This isn't about sticking up for the guy who makes an app and gets paid for it or not because some dill weed used a cracked app. Which by the way...at .99 per on average you must REALLY need an app to go the cracked route. This is about Apple saying even though you bought this piece of equipment, it is still ours and we will tell you what to do with it. Anyone remember the 1984 (Think Orwell) commercials??
    1. ecd5000's Avatar
      ecd5000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dbizzy1 View Post
      If Apple had half a brain they would just allow the functionality that people want...cusomization. This will probably be a huge mistake on their part and icant wait to laugh in their face. What a joke people will always find ways around their encryption so they are just wasting their time. If they focused their thoughts they could actually make more money...isn't that what they want anyway?
      they should just allow all the jailbreak programs into the app store, the flashlite from bigboss was rejected cause it used too much battery life, well i paid 299 and a 2 yr contract for that battery, and there pissed because cydia store has most likely sold more items than they did in such a short time and themes, dont even get me started, most themes are harmless mods to icons. but remember apple claims jailbreaks illegal because of all the awesomely wondeful things that it does. idont understand it? you would think they would allow something when there's other competitors phones saying it does what this cant, im sure you all remember the post about "jailbreaking is for drug dealers", since when do south american coke lords and afgani terrorists use iphones?, wouldnt it be a phone card or pay as you go thing with them? when i was in highschool any form of drug dealer with a phone would go like this...ring ring...hello? hey im coming over, that cool? ok.. click! UNREAL this post has now got me fired up PHUCK APPLE
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
      lol i dont' know what mytouch 3g you were looking at because i also, had my hands on experience with it. While of course it is customizable which is it's greatest advantage.. you are completely wrong about the speed of the Phone. The mytouch is not faster than the 3GS but is faster than the 3G. Yes it has full web browsing but the web browser sucks and does not load as fast as the 3GS. As for the keyboard? How is it that the mytouch keyboard is bigger when the phone itself is smaller than the iPhone? Their keyboard sucks as well it is not as good as the iPhone keyboard it's just not as precise. And i've tested the camera..only thing is that i wasn't in different scenerios to test full quality i was only limited to the store and based on what i saw the mytouch had this weird greenish yellowish background color to everything i was looking at. While the iPhone did not.

      So again i dont' know which mytouch you have but i know for a fact most of what you say is not true. Like i said the greatest feature it has is open source, tether like you say, and customizations. Hardware is low grade..
      Well, as I said, I have rooted it, to be honest, I didn't really play with it out of the box, I just went straight in and rooted it, so it is possible that the ROM that I used improved upon the out of the box experience (honestly I searched for the one that everyone seemed to think was best, so this is very possible). I find the keyboard on the myTouch extremely easy to use, especially with the dictionary turned on, I also like how it provides multiple words rather than just the one that it thinks it is.

      Honestly, we have had far fewer issues with the myTouch than with the iPhone as well.

      Don't get me wrong, in general I like Apply Products; however, I still don't see what the iPhone can do that the myTouch can't. I have a 3G iPhone, so the bulk of my speed comparisons are based on that, but I also support a 3Gs at work, so I am able to say that the myTouch seems to be faster and has faster data access than either iPhone.
    1. mafo5000's Avatar
      mafo5000 -
      I agree with everyone
    1. weazle23's Avatar
      weazle23 -
      im very happy with my 3gs so unless the newer iphones that cant be jailbroken have something really awesome i dont see any reason to upgrade. and i havent seen any other phone that would make me switch either. but if i hadnt been able to jailbreak the one i have i probably wouldnt of gotten it.
    1. devteamtools's Avatar
      devteamtools -
      even if apple cracks down on jailbreaking, i'll stay at 3.1 or 3.5 or whatever firmware can be jailbroekn and unlocked!!! Screw apple i still haz jailbreak!!
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
      Look JMO though..... they want to do exactly as someone said here on this thread what happen to Napster...Well
      what happen to Napster you dont here a peep the them anymore...as you all know why.. this is what is going to happen to apple seriously....No matter what they do to protect there OS there is always someone who is smarter..
      Just remember that...

      And now with Android going at full Force watch out apple there coming.. We don't care if you have 100,000 apps
      we just like to do whatever on OUR phones it's mine and thats it...
      What I said about Napster was a comparison regarding pirating and stealing apps. Had absolutely no relevance to what you just twisted it into.
    1. fventura03's Avatar
      fventura03 -
      the moment i can no longer jailbreak my iphone i'm going to sell it and go with android. thats the only reason i have an iphone, so i can unlock it and use it overseas.
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      I thot there was a court case open regarding jailbreaking... What is up with the case?
    1. brotherbond007's Avatar
      brotherbond007 -
      Motorola has nothing to do with your phone service, never have, never will. That's your carriers job.

      unless the next gen iPhone has a camera to use ichat then I will stay with my 3GS until it won't function. I will not upgrade until there's a work around, they can hire the Chief of iPhone Protection. I really don't care.
    1. mamba81's Avatar
      mamba81 -
      I'm with most anyone else. Once a phone cannot be jailbroken anymore I'm going with Android.

      Only the iPhone and Jailbreaking is keeping me with crappy AT&T.
    1. romeo_herman's Avatar
      romeo_herman -
      It's too late apple...
    1. smooth22's Avatar
      smooth22 -
      Once u JB there's no coming back! if Apple was smarter they could profit off of widgets and themes for the iphone instead of worrying about the JB community. if Cracked apps is there concern they can find away to stop that without making it harder to JB, i no on thing for sure if i cant Jailbreak my iphone no more im dumping the iphone move on to the next best thing out there i pay to Damn much for the service..
    1. bbillh77's Avatar
      bbillh77 -
      They have to be smarter then geo that might be hard to find
    1. DTRocker's Avatar
      DTRocker -
      Whats with the stick up Steve Job's *** that he has to take down the jailbreaking world? what part of his company is it truly hurting because of this? is he cry at night that hes missing a few million bucks for some apps he could of sold? Im also getting fed up with him suing everybody...He doesnt like competiton at all he just likes to cut the legs off little companies that oppose him in any way.
    1. Cocacolafire's Avatar
      Cocacolafire -
      Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
      what exactly do they mean with jailbreaking cops?
      I guess all this will also mean that the future 4g iphones will probably be built from the ground and up to be jailbreak proof.

      God! I SO!!! ******* HATE APPLE, if wasn't for the iphone's usefulness, I would have dropped their azz long time ago.



      +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000




      that will be the day!!!! of course that will also be to good to be true.


      IF ONLY!!!!!!
      Vegeta, What does the scouter say about his power level?
      ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Apple are starting to suck now!!
    1. GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
      GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL -
      Why the F do they feel the need to lock the iPhone down so much. I should be able to do whatever I want with it. Oh well.. Droid on T-Mobile/AT&T/Sprint yes????
    1. crzyital7404's Avatar
      crzyital7404 -
      All I want to do is have a wallpaper and a better font lol is that too much to ask to be able to customize my phone..and i have t-mobile, so too bad for apple..because of jailbreaking, I bought many iphones, and have not put down my phone since i got it, and I even bought a mac computer after using windows for the past 13 years..(whenever 95 came out lol) and haven't touched my windows pc since I got the mac..So apple needs to give it up already and make it open source and just better protect the apps from being cracked..