• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 3GS . . . Waterproof?! No Way!


    Apple apparently forgot to introduce another fancy new feature of the iPhone 3GS besides the 'oleophobic' finish, iPhone 3GS is waterproof as well, wait what?!

    A youtube user named KhenaKara took his brand new iPhone 3GS on video recording trip by the pool side and while shooting, it accidently fell into the pool. To his surprise, nothing happened to the phone at all . . . The phone was still recording and worked perfectly as usual. Though the phone had a rubber case around, there was no other kind of waterproof protection on it!

    Even after that incident, his iPhone works regularly. However, he lost his warranty, which might trouble him in the long run.

    [KhenaKara via CNet]

    P.S. Folks don't try this at home. The iPhone is definitely not supposed do it
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 3GS . . . Waterproof?! No Way! started by sayam View original post
    Comments 74 Comments
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      otterbox is the best imho
    1. Juar3z's Avatar
      Juar3z -
      i dropped my 2g in water twice and it worked twice
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      I am about to throw my 3GS in my pool. I will report back soon.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by avnyc11 View Post
      how do we know that it is in fact a 3gs,and not some waterproof vid cam?
      We don't really know for sure I guess any more than we know that "iphone 3GSS video test" clips are actually recorded on the 3GS. Really though, to make something like that up would be kinda pointless.
    1. PureGraphics's Avatar
      PureGraphics -
      Now that is the future Phone
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      I seen this on other forums the other day and I'l say what I said there, you have no proof that it is an iPhone 3GS.
    1. the management's Avatar
      the management -
      Just look at the aspect ratio.. its wrong.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
      I seen this on other forums the other day and I'l say what I said there, you have no proof that it is an iPhone 3GS.
      You are right... so don't believe it. Doubt the guy cares one way or the other anyway.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      It didn't work

      lol
    1. djdraco's Avatar
      djdraco -
      Seems cool but there's always the possibility of trickery. Lucky him if it did fall in that it still works.
    1. rwmotorsports's Avatar
      rwmotorsports -
      I once had my 3G in my pocket when a Texas monsoon rolled in and I got soaked. Non of the sensors turned pink, I was quite surprised.
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Are my eyes lying?
    1. Chase817's Avatar
      Chase817 -
      WARNING: This is fake, he used the phone in a waterproof case, the 3GS is no more waterproof than a 3G.
    1. riku98523's Avatar
      riku98523 -
      That guy was like D: when he dropped it lol. "MY iPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!"


      Quote Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
      Pretty sure hes lying and the phone was in a Ziploc or something.
      Not saying you are wrong about him lying, but I think we would have noticed if it was in a bag. It still might just be a camera or something.

      I also want to mention the pretty decent quality of video.
    1. Nimbulan's Avatar
      Nimbulan -
      Quote Originally Posted by avnyc11 View Post
      how do we know that it is in fact a 3gs,and not some waterproof vid cam?
      True, although it was defiantly an iPhone shaped shadow
    1. alek's Avatar
      alek -
      apple did mention waterproofing (for easy cleaning) in some keynote (i remember it) except they said the 'holes' are still vulnerable (his case must have blocked them)
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      I clearly can see an iphone shadow and reflection in the video if you run it thru Final Cut Pro and view frame by frame.
    1. iphonekid's Avatar
      iphonekid -
      Quote Originally Posted by avnyc11 View Post
      how do we know that it is in fact a 3gs,and not some waterproof vid cam?
      because you can see the shape of an iphone in the shadow on the bottom of the pool
    1. spazturtle's Avatar
      spazturtle -
      The iTouch is water proof so why is it a surprise that the 3gs is too