• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Online Apple Store Now Selling Unlocked GSM iPhone 4


    Sometimes, good things come early.

    On Monday, reported that rumors and rumblings from around the Apple world suggested the company would begin selling unlocked iPhone 4's beginning Wednesday. As it turned out, however, Apple pulled the trigger even sooner than anyone expected, making the unlocked GSM iPhone 4 available early this morning through the company's online store.

    This reality comes just hours after one of Twitter's most reliable Apple tipsters, @Chronic dished that "unlocked iPhones headed to Apple Stores for Wednesday: MC603 (16GB, Black) MC604 (16GB, White) MC605 (32GB, Black) MC606 (32GB, White)." The 16GB and 32GB versions are now available on Apple' online store for $649 and $749, respectively. No international shipping is currently offered.

    "If you donít want a multiyear service contract or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad," Apple says, "the unlocked iPhone 4 is the best choice. It arrives without a micro-SIM card, so youíll need an active micro-SIM card from any supported GSM carrier worldwide."

    Although this marks the first time Apple has made unlocked iPhones available in the US, it's old hat in Europe, where Apple has been selling unlocked iPhones for quite some. One year ago, Apple made some progress toward today's new reality by starting to sell iPhones at list price, although they weren't unlocked.

    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Online Apple Store Now Selling Unlocked GSM iPhone 4 started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 54 Comments
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      The funny thing is there are no codes
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      So could I just pop my t-mobile micro sim in This bad boy? I'd rather not worry about updates and I'm fine on jailbreaking for now I think it'd be a better option than the unlocked iPhone 4 I have, also could I jailbreak out the box or is the firmware not resolved yet?
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      Firmware is jailbreakable. Go buy one and pop that bad boy in there
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
      Firmware is jailbreakable. Go buy one and pop that bad boy in there
      Thank you good sir, is my iPhone 4 1.59.00 worth much anymore? Also I'm wondering if these will come up in refurbs so I don't have to flat out buy the unlockeds
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
      Thank you good sir, is my iPhone 4 1.59.00 worth much anymore? Also I'm wondering if these will come up in refurbs so I don't have to flat out buy the unlockeds
      Sending a pm do not want to spam thread.
    1. Orby's Avatar
      Orby -
      Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
      The funny thing is there are no codes
      There are, and yet there are not.

      Two separate baseband commands, two kinds of unlocks. One uses a code, one doesn't.

      One (AT+CLCK), when provided with the correct code (the NCK), will hardware unlock the phone. Nobody's relocking that phone without replacing the baseband chip. The other (AT+XLCK) just allows a properly signed WildcardTicket to allow all ICCIDs+IMSIs. Those unlocks are the "carrier/IMEI" unlocks, those are the unlocks that Apple can theoretically revoke at their discretion. Incidentally, these "Wildcard" unlocks are the only ones in use these days.

      I believe AT&T doesn't know any phone's NCK. Makes sense, as Apple rightfully wants to keep that information close to the vest. I also believe AT&T doesn't know the CHIPID and NORID of any iPhone--the two hardware-specific essential pieces to crafting a WildcardTicket (aside from Apple's signing certificates). Again, makes sense for Apple not to share.

      I also believe AT&T has access (or can have access within a matter of minutes) into Apple's unlocking whitelist, and can add any IMEI (which they DO know) into the system and Apple will take care of the rest--just like a large portion of the "rest of the world." But no, AT&T "can't do that." Of course they can't.
    1. daytonaviolet's Avatar
      daytonaviolet -
      i think its just a matter of time before ATT will offer unlocks to customers past there 2yr contract. also they shall offer an unlock for a fee for other customers who are not past there 2yr contract. this is what other carriers have been doing over the years except for ATT.
    1. ACSS's Avatar
      ACSS -
      This is awesome!! Ebay third party sellers will be taking a hit for sure. Now the DEV TEAM can just concentrate on jailbreaks, and UltraSn0w can eventually be placed on the shelf. Us folks who spent the $1000 plus on unlocked phones can now get support in the USA Considering I buy these phones for the entire family unlocked (Due to extensive time abroad), this is just perfect for us.
    1. Nerd's Avatar
      Nerd -
      If the next iphone come out will be unlocked too then i will buy it.The new iphone will be come in the next couple months so may be they want to dump these iphones 4 out to clear stocks.
    1. Shigoroku's Avatar
      Shigoroku -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKnowYouri View Post
      Couldn't you just jailbreak and unlock yourself for free? Or am I missing something
      You are missing something.

      Not all basebands can be unlocked, and you can't downgrade a baseband at this point.
    1. isme's Avatar
      isme -
      The reason they're selling Unlocked iPhones in the US is because within couple of months there will only be one GSM carrier which is AT&T-mobile (whatever they will call it) So there is no reason for them to hold it back. They can sell the Unlocked one now and make good money out of it until that day came (AT&T bought T-Mobile)!
    1. amazad's Avatar
      amazad -
      Will they unlock phones who were bought and are locked to AT&T ?
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
      There are, and yet there are not.

      Two separate baseband commands, two kinds of unlocks. One uses a code, one doesn't.

      One (AT+CLCK), when provided with the correct code (the NCK), will hardware unlock the phone. Nobody's relocking that phone without replacing the baseband chip. The other (AT+XLCK) just allows a properly signed WildcardTicket to allow all ICCIDs+IMSIs. Those unlocks are the "carrier/IMEI" unlocks, those are the unlocks that Apple can theoretically revoke at their discretion. Incidentally, these "Wildcard" unlocks are the only ones in use these days.

      I believe AT&T doesn't know any phone's NCK. Makes sense, as Apple rightfully wants to keep that information close to the vest. I also believe AT&T doesn't know the CHIPID and NORID of any iPhone--the two hardware-specific essential pieces to crafting a WildcardTicket (aside from Apple's signing certificates). Again, makes sense for Apple not to share.

      I also believe AT&T has access (or can have access within a matter of minutes) into Apple's unlocking whitelist, and can add any IMEI (which they DO know) into the system and Apple will take care of the rest--just like a large portion of the "rest of the world." But no, AT&T "can't do that." Of course they can't.
      And I stand corrected lol
    1. GenesisDH's Avatar
      GenesisDH -
      Quote Originally Posted by ACSS View Post
      This is awesome!! Ebay third party sellers will be taking a hit for sure. Now the DEV TEAM can just concentrate on jailbreaks, and UltraSn0w can eventually be placed on the shelf. Us folks who spent the $1000 plus on unlocked phones can now get support in the USA Considering I buy these phones for the entire family unlocked (Due to extensive time abroad), this is just perfect for us.
      Well ultrasn0w will still be worked on, as there are a number of people needing it for still working 3G/3GS models (3GS is still being sold at&t locked-only) and for those who don't want to spend so much just to have an unlocked phone. Now if Apple/whatevercarrier will offer anyone the official unlock for a reasonable price, then ultrasn0w would be on its death bed. Until then, ultrasn0w and related baseband projects will probably still take precedence over a lot of iOS-related projects such as the iPad2 jailbreak.

      I agree that this will tone down the eBay/CL/Buy.com/third-party price gouging though. Good riddance to that. :-)

      As for those who didn't buy their unlocked phone through a US retailer, then they're still at a loss as AppleCare won't repair unlocked iPhones w/out proof that it was purchased in the US (they can see the model numbers & correlate them to the ones for US phones). That's why this helps, because one can get an officially-unlocked iphone supported by AppleCare in the US.
      Quote Originally Posted by amazad View Post
      Will they unlock phones who were bought and are locked to AT&T ?
      According to most of the news blogs/sites, not even those who bought without subsidy are offered such an option. Hopefully that'll change soon-ish.


      Now has anybody confirmed yet if at&t won't change people's plans when using these US officially unlocked iPhones? They've pulled the 'smartphone data plan switcheroo' bull on unlocked Nexus owners (even owners of the AWS version that only works on EDGE w/ at&t). That is something to watch out for. They can tell that these phones are iPhones by the first few numbers of the IMEI...

      ADDENDUM: I am really hoping the next model comes with a pentaband WCDMA (with AWS as rumored) & available unlocked. Look out at&T-Mobile, I'm gonna have me a '4G' scorcher on my $45 plan. LOL.