What's that image above? That is from my account on the iLocalis website and it is where my iPhone was located 22 mins ago. With iLocalis you can set how often you want your iPhone 3g to send its current location to the iLocalis server and your iPhone will be tracked.
What can this be used for?
- Never lose you iPhone. If it is missing just log onto the iLocalis site and you'll know where it was located last. These things are expensive and losing them sucks. Problem solved.
- Retrieve a stolen iPhone. If your iPhone is stolen you can log into the site and check out where it's at. Extra features built into iLocalis allow you to send text messages or make calls on your iPhone when you don't even have it with you. If you iPhone is stolen log in and send yourself a text message. If the thief changed the sim card you'll have their phone number!
- Allow your family and friends to know where you are. iLocalis will send a message to your friends when you are near by. You can also set it up to allow your friends to locate you. If your friend also has iLocalis you can send messages to each other for free. No txt messaging charges.
- Need family or someone else to know where you are? You can share a map of your location data with whomever you choose with a temporary URL that will expire when you set it to expire.
- iLocalis can also be used for a business that needs location services for their employees. Employees carrying iPhones with iLocalis can be tracked via the web site easily.
This app really works! Although there are a few bugs with cookies expiring and having to log back into the app occasionally on the iPhone it appears to send your location the the iLocalis web servers the whole time. I turned it on and went for a little drive and the app did a great job tracking where I went. I also tested the send text message feature. I sent a text message via my phone from the iLocalis website and it worked just like it is supposed to.
Need your iPhone's location to be tracked? Want to increase your chances of recovery if your iPhone is stolen? iLocalis is for you so grab it from Cydia already! Once installed on the iPhone just hop on over to the iLocalis site and you can see what's going on! Unfortunately at some point (10 days) the free trial will end and you'll have to donate to keep the features going. The good news is that at a minimum donation price of $2.50 for an entire year subscription it's really not unreasonable at all.