• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • 1.1.1 Released


    Firmware 1.1.1 was released today. Features include:

    iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
    Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
    Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
    Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
    Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
    Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
    Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
    Support for TV Out
    Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
    New Passcode lock time intervals
    Adjustable alert volume

    If you are the owner of an unlocked iPhone, DO NOT UPDATE until we have a viable solution for either relocking and then unlocking after the update, or doing the update without bricking your iPhone. Updating an unlocked iPhone currently WILL BRICK your iPhone.

    The Basics:
    • If you have an unlocked phone, but are using AT&T, updating will NOT brick your iPhone, but you will have to get a new SIM card, as the iPhone will display an incorrect SIM message.
    • If you have an unlocked iPhone, and are running a carrier OTHER than AT&T, updating will NOT brick your iPhone, but it WILL relock your iPhone, and no existing methods will unlock again, so DON'T UPDATE YET.
    • If you have an iPhone LOCKED TO AT&T still, updating your iPhone will work fine. If you have installed 3rd party apps, they will be gone, and no existing methods will reinstall them.
    • No, the developers of the software modding apps have NOT updated their apps within the past 2 hours. When they do you will be notified with a new News story.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1.1.1 Released started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 740 Comments
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      3rd Party apps are broken and require restore before update. You will not be able to reinstall them until the developers have updated their apps.
    1. jealous soul's Avatar
      jealous soul -
      Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
      Yup looks like it considers every SIM invalid.
      it's possible that the firmware upgrade axes the linked IMEI thus rendering the phone worthless...
    1. xc00lxkidx's Avatar
      xc00lxkidx -
      cant the devs just download the update and package the bug fixes, itunes store, etc into a pxl? then we can enjoy the update while still using the 1.0.2 firmware. If they do this we can continue to enjoy the updates without having to hope for a new break.
    1. champnou's Avatar
      champnou -
      my sim card is now invalid. haha oh sht.
    1. xxjoebreadxx's Avatar
      xxjoebreadxx -
      Are there really enough updates that people find it WORTH updating?
      no...but too late now. Too many of us jumped ship.
    1. Conquest3.0's Avatar
      Conquest3.0 -
      I just put another SIM from my other iPhone in which was not updated..

      I get the same error about an Invalid SIM, so I dont think just getting a new one from ATT is going to do it.

      This is a firmware glitch thats not allowing the phone to be activated after the upgrade to 1.1.1

      Im having no luck restoring the phone to a previous firmware with iTunes
    1. editwizard's Avatar
      editwizard -
      I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff... watching. All. The. Lemmings. Juuuuummmppppp...

      Stop, lemmings, STOP!!
    1. jealous soul's Avatar
      jealous soul -
      Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
      Yup looks like it considers every SIM invalid.
      as a sidenote, apparently one of the devs managed to upgrade his unlocked phone with a legit att sim and it still recognizes it.
    1. Doreen's Avatar
      Doreen -
      I'm not touching the update until I see a few of you guys running your own lab experiments first!

      pf does what you said mean that even if the installer gets updated to jailbreak again w/ the new firmware that still does not guarantee that all the apps we are currently using off the current install will still work until each and every dev updates their software individually?

      oh boy looks like this will be a longggg wait for meee. =(
    1. rianbattle's Avatar
      rianbattle -
      so...i've been reading through all the posts in this thread, and i was just wondering...the folks that are getting the error that says "invalid sim", are they only people who have unlocked, or are the people that have only jailbroken their phones and put mods on them getting that as well?

      just curious...as many of you are doing, i'm just going to wait until the devs release a method of hacking the new firmware...nothing in the update really appeals to me but as has been said already, all the new iphone apps and whatnot are going to be geared toward the new firmware so i figure i might as well once it's safe to do so ^_^
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      Quote Originally Posted by xc00lxkidx View Post
      cant the devs just download the update and package the bug fixes, itunes store, etc into a pxl? then we can enjoy the update while still using the 1.0.2 firmware. If they do this we can continue to enjoy the updates without having to hope for a new break.
      Haha. Nope. It is a MUCH better idea to have our phones be able to update to latest firmware, and that is where attention is being given, as I've said.

      Quote Originally Posted by Conquest3.0 View Post
      I just put another SIM from my other iPhone in which was not updated..

      I get the same error about an Invalid SIM, so I dont think just getting a new one from ATT is going to do it.

      This is a firmware glitch thats not allowing the phone to be activated after the upgrade to 1.1.1

      Im having no luck restoring the phone to a previous firmware with iTunes
      New unactivated SIMs apparently are working fine.
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      @ Doreen
      Hes saying that the apps will probably run but first we have to get far enough to get the native apps on the phone. The update has disabled out current methods
    1. jealous soul's Avatar
      jealous soul -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
      I'm not touching the update until I see a few of you guys running your own lab experiments first!

      pf does what you said mean that even if the installer gets updated to jailbreak again w/ the new firmware that still does not guarantee that all the apps we are currently using off the current install will still work until each and every dev updates their software individually?

      oh boy looks like this will be a longggg wait for meee. =(

      what it means is that there currently is not a working method for 'jailbreaking' the phone. until that's done, the 3rd party apps cannot be installed and executed.
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jealous soul View Post
      i'm just gonna go ahead and assume you don't understand how file systems work.
      That's not a completely inaccurate statement. I'm an electronics engineer, not a software engineer so I think differently. Everything I have to work around can be done with replacing a part or re-routing a tracer.

      I've taken some time and effort to learn some of the basis of linux and the OSX system in small amounts and I am trying every day to learn more as I would like to eventually become one of the devs that make a difference.

      The difference in my success will be determind by who helps and who simply makes snide comments. I could design the iPhone from the ground up, but not be able to make it tick. That's where I am trying to learn the system and better myself to further help the community.

      If I didn't ask questions I'd never have became an EE. Now you determine if you'd like someone here writing code and fixing problems or someone who posts "how do I do this" to everything they write. I have a huge head start with my EE background.

      Meh anyway.......... moving on.
    1. mikef's Avatar
      mikef -
      Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
      3rd Party apps are broken and require restore before update. You will not be able to reinstall them until the developers have updated their apps.
      dont you feel like you just repeating yourself over and over again, im not saying this in a derogatory way, i just feel bad that no one is reading or listening to the people who know more than they do!
    1. rianbattle's Avatar
      rianbattle -
      Quote Originally Posted by editwizard View Post
      I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff... watching. All. The. Lemmings. Juuuuummmppppp...

      Stop, lemmings, STOP!!
      hahahaha...i miss that game. i'm getting the same feeling lol.
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      Quote Originally Posted by rianbattle View Post
      so...i've been reading through all the posts in this thread, and i was just wondering...the folks that are getting the error that says "invalid sim", are they only people who have unlocked, or are the people that have only jailbroken their phones and put mods on them getting that as well
      This is happening to people who are updating unlocked iPhones running AT&T, it seems. If you have a LOCKED phone, it works fine, regardless of jailbreak/3rd party apps state. It just breaks the 3rd party apps.
    1. xxjoebreadxx's Avatar
      xxjoebreadxx -
      New unactivated SIMs apparently are working fine.
      confirmed. mine is working fine. But it may vary with different unlockers...
    1. rianbattle's Avatar
      rianbattle -
      Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
      This is happening to people who are updating unlocked iPhones running AT&T, it seems. If you have a LOCKED phone, it works fine, regardless of jailbreak/3rd party apps state. It just breaks the 3rd party apps.
      that's what i figured...as i said, just curious, a lot of people have just said it's invalid with no explanation of what they've done to their phone and all that. blegh.

      if you want to keep your mods, don't update. it's that simple. let the devs figure it out first.


      . o O (lol, i feel like i'm talking to an empty room)
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      *walks out of thread*

      read the first 10 pages folks your questions have been answered