• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Blackberry Messenger May Be Coming to iOS


    According to "multiple trusted sources," Research in Motion is poised to bring its extremely popular Blackberry Messenger (lovingly shortened to BBM) to both the iOS and Android platforms. Boy Genius Report reports that it could come to Android within the year, and iOS would follow after due to Apple's more restrictive app-approval process.

    The report also mentions that the software might actually come to both of these platforms for free, but RIM has not settled on a definite pricing plan, and may move to a one-time or a recurring pricing plan. BGR adds that "it might seem strange" for the company to bring one of the main selling points of their Blackberry devices to its rival platforms, but RIM might be trying to bring official software to these platforms, instead of copycat applications that currently occupy both OS's app stores.

    It seems that BBM for iOS and Android will be a "stripped down" version of the software, and users will still need a Blackberry device for all the features of BBM. But there's a potential that the if RIM provides excellent versions of the app, they could "own the entire messaging app category on every major smartphone OS."

    Again, there is no word on timing at this point, but according to the report, the software is, in fact, in the works.

    Source:
    BGR
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Blackberry Messenger May Be Coming to iOS started by Matt Savoca View original post
    Comments 47 Comments
    1. icepick4u's Avatar
      icepick4u -
      a year to deploy?????, in what world this ppl live???
    1. slbenficaboy's Avatar
      slbenficaboy -
      By the time RIM releases those apps, LiveProfile will have already dominated. LiveProfile is still relatively new and its supports a lot of what BBM supports except it is already out for the iPhone, Android and it is supposed to be released for Blackberyy within this week. I have personally used both bbm and LiveProfile and I believe that LiveProfile is better. It has a nicer UI and its cross-platform.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      haha! RIM is a company on the verge of losing a lot of $$, due to the fact they are stuck in the 90's! Blackberry's look and operate almost exactly as they did upon launch. Same button setup, same short cuts...same same same. Don't get me wrong, if its not broken don't fix it. In this case RIM needs some fixing. Most corporations have moved to the iPhone or Android OS. It won't be long before Apple takes a larger slice of the mobile telcommunications pie, leaving RIM with the crust :]
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I could not see this happen, but would love it if it did
    1. xwinger's Avatar
      xwinger -
      Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
      This is hilarious! BBM is the ONLY thing that BlackBerry owners have over iPhone owners. My friends with BB's all argue that they couldn't own an iPhone for lack of BBM - now they have literally no argument rofl. I hope this becomes a reality!
      Same with a bunch of my friends. "I'm addicted to bbm I can't live without it"

      Ever heard of text messaging?


      Quote Originally Posted by mm8 View Post
      extremely popular BB IM yeah right, I NEVER seen anybody using it....can you say Yahoo, AOL, MSN, Novell groupwise, Lync, but BB messenger I never ever seen anybody using it, maybe .01% of all IM users. Let's face it besides email BB does not have anything else worth using. Period.
      Ok this is probably the dumbest post of 2011
    1. Bernizzle's Avatar
      Bernizzle -
      Its been a loooonnngg time since i had a blackberry and was just thinking about how many messages I have in that inbox lol....kinda sucks not having it because I know I have something important in there
    1. krosis's Avatar
      krosis -
      I was trying to figure out what it is about BBM that BB users seem to love so much, and from searching the net a little bit it seems to be primarily either:
      • Separate delivered / read notifications
      • Free service (doesn't use plan texts, works internationally)
      It seems like a nice service, but by no means a must-have.
    1. strike_rouge's Avatar
      strike_rouge -
      Umm I'm new to the iPhone scene and come from a blackberry. Anyone who finds bbm ridiculous and overrated is greatly uninformed. It may not look or be the coolest looking app but I do miss it alot and wish I could go back to my bb (can't for reasons beyond my control). But yea, point is, if you dot understand the allure of bbm, you've never used it. It'd be awesome if apple could incorporate it on iOs devices.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      i dont see the need for this app so let blackberry waste their time it wont keep their people eventually they will flee to iOS or droid, u see what happened to nokia lol
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      I dont like BB messenger. And cant decide one time fee or monthly fee. Really.....???? BB Messenger sucks anyway.
    1. chillihound's Avatar
      chillihound -
      LiveProfile free at the AppStore
    1. Aliquippakid's Avatar
      Aliquippakid -
      I have never used bbm, but hear blackberry owners praising it. Really what are the advantages over iPhones stock messages app? I wouldn't think they could send a message as fast as I could on bitesms? And bitesms is not exclusive to a certain brand of phone. Are there real advantages?
    1. se23's Avatar
      se23 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      haha! RIM is a company on the verge of losing a lot of $$, due to the fact they are stuck in the 90's! Blackberry's look and operate almost exactly as they did upon launch. Same button setup, same short cuts...same same same. Don't get me wrong, if its not broken don't fix it. In this case RIM needs some fixing. Most corporations have moved to the iPhone or Android OS. It won't be long before Apple takes a larger slice of the mobile telcommunications pie, leaving RIM with the crust :]
      YEaH because iOS has changed soooooooo much! NOT

      Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
      i dont see the need for this app so let blackberry waste their time it wont keep their people eventually they will flee to iOS or droid, u see what happened to nokia lol
      I carry an old BB 8900 and iphone4. Just cos you dnt see the need, there will be millions that do. Go on your facebook and put your status as "shall I buy new iPhone or blackberry?" 60% will say iPhone 40% bb! Bbm is also great for when u dnt want to give out your number
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
      YEaH because iOS has changed soooooooo much! NOT



      I carry an old BB 8900 and iphone4. Just cos you dnt see the need, there will be millions that do. Go on your facebook and put your status as "shall I buy new iPhone or blackberry?" 60% will say iPhone 40% bb! Bbm is also great for when u dnt want to give out your number
      Actually iOS HAS changed so much..
    1. dkwinters's Avatar
      dkwinters -
      Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
      This is hilarious! BBM is the ONLY thing that BlackBerry owners have over iPhone owners. My friends with BB's all argue that they couldn't own an iPhone for lack of BBM - now they have literally no argument rofl. I hope this becomes a reality!
      I said the exact same thing hahaha.. I wanna watch as all my friends have no Crackberry leg to stand on =D

      The end of the Crackberry's is upon us.. And soon the Hemorrhoid's will be forgotten too haha =P
    1. mm8's Avatar
      mm8 -
      Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
      Same with a bunch of my friends. "I'm addicted to bbm I can't live without it"

      Ever heard of text messaging?




      Ok this is probably the dumbest post of 2011

      right...you and the other poster from Canada, where BB is from ARE the dumbest posts of 2011...I have been forcefully using BB for 5 years at work Blackberry SUCKS !!!
    1. arniecabral's Avatar
      arniecabral -
      Quote Originally Posted by mm8 View Post
      extremely popular BB IM yeah right, I NEVER seen anybody using it....can you say Yahoo, AOL, MSN, Novell groupwise, Lync, but BB messenger I never ever seen anybody using it, maybe .01% of all IM users. Let's face it besides email BB does not have anything else worth using. Period.
      Do you live under a rock?
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Would be nice for those that have BB for business and use iOS or Android for personal use. This way they would not have to carry the BB all the time.
    1. mm8's Avatar
      mm8 -
      BB does and they keyboard that sucks
    1. DaMan05's Avatar
      DaMan05 -
      NEVER going to happen. BBM is ALL RIM HAS. If they lose that, they will be finished.