• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Ringtone Creation Now Allowed from iTunes
    iTunes now allows the creation of custom ringtones and has added the ringtones button to the side selection.





    thanks jedi for the tip
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Ringtone Creation Now Allowed from iTunes started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
    1. Stadsport's Avatar
      Stadsport -
      I still haven't updated at all, I'm afraid of 7.4 wrecking my iPhone.
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      It shouldn't.
    1. xplod4202's Avatar
      xplod4202 -
      So as stated before, it will only allow you to create them from the songs that you have purchased from iTunes. and not from the songs that you already have in your library?
    1. stg's Avatar
      stg -
      Is this iTunes 7.4.2? I just visited the itunes D/L site and (when visiting with firefox/winXP i can only download 7.4.1.
    1. Cheule's Avatar
      Cheule -
      It's 7.4.1. You need to add the "ringtone" column to your music list. You can do this by right-clicking on the column heading where it says "Name" or "Album" and then putting a checkmark next to the "Ringtone" heading.
    1. Stymyx's Avatar
      Stymyx -
      Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
      So as stated before, it will only allow you to create them from the songs that you have purchased from iTunes. and not from the songs that you already have in your library?
      That is correct. The song must have been purchased through iTunes. And even THEN, not all iTunes-purchased songs are eligible to be made into ringtones. Out of the millions of songs they sell, only about 500,000 of those songs are eligible to be made into ringtones (that is, of course, if you play by THEIR rules!). Oh, and don't forget the lunacy of having to pay an additional 99 cents to make a song you already payed for once into a ringtone!

      That's why iToner or iPhoneRingToneMaker are much more sensible options!
    1. speedemonV12's Avatar
      speedemonV12 -
      so is someone gonna figure out a way around paying for this? so we can still use itunes to create the ringtone? and manage ringtones?
    1. Stadsport's Avatar
      Stadsport -
      Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
      It shouldn't.
      Weren't there a bunch of horror stories with it boning Jailbroken phones? Granted I just use Installer.app, still.
    1. Pete's Avatar
      Pete -
      I'm running 7.4.1 but can't get a "Ringtones" subcategory to appear in my Library sidebar. I do have the Ringtones tab when I click on "iPhone" under the "Devices" in the sidebar menu... and I can get SOME of the ringtones to work using the renaming trick, but still can't see them in my libary and have no "Ringtones" in that sidebar. I tried control-clicking, Preferences, View Options, etc.

      Is it because I have no iTunes Store account?
    1. japha55's Avatar
      japha55 -
      i can not get the icon to apper on the left collum but it is in the the iphone tab under device? help? thanks
    1. xplod4202's Avatar
      xplod4202 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stymyx View Post
      That is correct. The song must have been purchased through iTunes. And even THEN, not all iTunes-purchased songs are eligible to be made into ringtones. Out of the millions of songs they sell, only about 500,000 of those songs are eligible to be made into ringtones (that is, of course, if you play by THEIR rules!). Oh, and don't forget the lunacy of having to pay an additional 99 cents to make a song you already payed for once into a ringtone!

      That's why iToner or iPhoneRingToneMaker are much more sensible options!
      Is the iToner really worth $15?
    1. steinah's Avatar
      steinah -
      /shrug

      I already turned off the Ringtones tab in the sidebar. .mp3 ringtones are easy enough to install and work fine...
    1. iphoneroeth's Avatar
      iphoneroeth -
      here is a new app to put in Ringtones into iTunes for free:
      MakeiPhoneRingtones
      http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts...07-09-11-09-00
    1. JedixJarf's Avatar
      JedixJarf -
      Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
      Is the iToner really worth $15?
      No way, don't pay money for that crap. You can make your ringtones for free using iTunes, I WILL post a GUIDE in a matter of minutes so people don't have to pay money to do stuff that is free!
    1. xplod4202's Avatar
      xplod4202 -
      Is it the same method as had been posted before? By renaming the file extension? or is it something new? How about that app that was posted above yours? is that any good? The only reason why i am asking this because as it stands now iTunes will allow you put files that are less 200kb. Thats like 10 sec.
    1. antiflash's Avatar
      antiflash -
      Quote Originally Posted by speedemonV12 View Post
      so is someone gonna figure out a way around paying for this? so we can still use itunes to create the ringtone? and manage ringtones?
      Check out THIS thread for details on the ringtone workaround...this method is also documented in the wiki HERE

      Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
      Is it the same method as had been posted before? By renaming the file extension? or is it something new? How about that app that was posted above yours? is that any good? The only reason why i am asking this because as it stands now iTunes will allow you put files that are less 200kb. Thats like 10 sec.
      This thread is referring specifically to the buy-it-from-itunes ringtones. This functionality is new including purchasing and editing of new, purchased ringtones from within iTunes.
    1. xplod4202's Avatar
      xplod4202 -
      Yeah i know this method, i am using it. But like i said there is a size limit for this method and that sucks.
    1. JedixJarf's Avatar
      JedixJarf -
      Update: Heres your guide to making FREE ringtones, the legal way.

      http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4842
    1. iphoneroeth's Avatar
      iphoneroeth -
      I tried to app which I posted above and it works like a charm.
      You need to have an AAC file with extension .m4a (if you have .mp4 just replace the mp4 with m4a). Now simply drag the song onto the app and it is in the Ringtone folder in iTunes and will sync well. If you don't have a ringtone folder yet, then it will be automatically created.
      Here it is again:
      http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts...07-09-11-09-00
    1. xplod4202's Avatar
      xplod4202 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphoneroeth View Post
      I tried to app which I posted above and it works like a charm.
      You need to have an AAC file with extension .m4a (if you have .mp4 just replace the mp4 with m4a). Now simply drag the song onto the app and it is in the Ringtone folder in iTunes and will sync well. If you don't have a ringtone folder yet, then it will be automatically created.
      Here it is again:
      http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts...07-09-11-09-00
      I just tried this as well, and it seems to work just fine. And there is no size limit on the ring tone. Awesome progee. And great tutorial J man.