• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPad 2 vs. The Competition


    Yesterday's iPad 2 announcement threw down the gauntlet to the host of tablet challengers, many of which haven't even gotten their product to market yet. How does Apple's second tablet compare to the first generation of its rivals? We pulled the specs for the new iPad and its closest competitors: the large-format Android tablets - Motorola's Xoom, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and the LG Optimus Pad - HP's TouchPad, and the BlackBerry PlayBook.

    Let's see how they compare:

    Processor
    iPad: Apple A5 1GHz dual-core
    Xoom: NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz dual-core
    Galaxy Tab: NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz dual-core
    Optimus Pad: NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz dual-core
    TouchPad: Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.2 GHz dual-core
    PlayBook: ARM Cortex-A9 1GHz dual-core

    Storage
    iPad: 16/32/64 GB
    Xoom: 32 GB
    Galaxy Tab: 16/32 GB
    Optimus Pad: 32 GB
    TouchPad: 16/32 GB
    PlayBook: 16/32/64 GB

    Network
    iPad 2: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM, CDMA
    Xoom: 802.11 a/b/g/n, CDMA
    Galaxy Tab: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM
    Optimus Pad: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM
    TouchPad: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM
    PlayBook: 802.11 b/g/n, WiMAX, LTE, HSPA+

    Screen
    iPad: 9.7" 1024x768
    Xoom: 10.1" 1280x800
    Galaxy Tab: 10.1" 1280x800
    Optimus Pad: 8.9" 1280x768
    TouchPad: 9.7" 1024x768
    PlayBook: 7" 1024x800

    Rear Camera
    iPad: 720p HD
    Xoom: 5 megapixel
    Galaxy Tab: 8 megapixel
    Optimus Pad: dual 5 megapixel
    TouchPad: none
    PlayBook: 5 megapixel

    Front Camera
    iPad: VGA
    Xoom: 2 megapixel
    Galaxy Tab: 2 megapixel
    Optimus Pad: 2 megapixel
    TouchPad: 1.3 megapixel
    PlayBook: 3 megapixel

    OS
    iPad: iOS 4.3
    Xoom: Honeycomb
    Galaxy Tab: Honeycomb
    Optimus Pad: Honeycomb
    TouchPad: webOS 3.0
    PlayBook: BlackBerry Tablet OS

    Sensors
    iPad: light, accelerometer, compass, gyroscope
    Xoom: light, accelerometer, magnetometer, barometer, gyroscope
    Galaxy Tab: light, accelerometer, compass, gyroscope
    Optimus Pad: light, compass, gyroscope
    TouchPad: light, accelerometer, compass, gyroscope
    PlayBook: accelerometer

    Video
    iPad: 1080p HDMI, VGA
    Xoom: 1080p HDMI
    Galaxy Tab: HDMI
    Optimus Pad: 1080p HDMI
    TouchPad: n/a
    PlayBook: HDMI

    Available
    iPad: March 11
    Xoom: now
    Galaxy Tab: unknown
    Optimus Pad: "some time in the second quarter"
    TouchPad: unknown
    PlayBook: April 10? (rumor)

    Price
    iPad: starting at $499
    Xoom: $599 WiFi, $799 3G
    Galaxy Tab: unknown
    Optimus Pad: unknown
    TouchPad: unknown
    PlayBook: $499? (rumor)


    While most products have some unique feature or another that sets it apart from the rest, they are fairly comparable, at least to the casual user. What this suggests is that consumers are going to make their choice based on price and brand familiarity. And while many competitors have not released their prices yet - and may decide to set them based on the iPad - if this is the case, it could be that the iPad may continue to have the advantage for a while.

    So is 2011 going to be "the year of the iPad 2?" We'll have to wait and see, though if competitors' offerings continue to be late out of the starting gate, the iPad's lead may be hard to overcome.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPad 2 vs. The Competition started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 120 Comments
    1. slickric's Avatar
      slickric -
      Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
      I think it's time to implement flash. F what you think apple,what about the consumers?
      i've had my ipad since launch and have been using iphone for a few years now... not once have felt that i missing out on anything because of not having flash support. not everyone *needs* flash as badly as you and many others may think - i have often wondering why people like this buy apple products if they're not happy with what they do/dont support
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      What competition?? lol
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      everyone will still be playing catchup by the end of the year iPad2 will reign supreme
    1. iSteed's Avatar
      iSteed -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      The Xoom gives 10 hours of battery life as well.


      Not sure what this is supposed to help with.
      Not so bright huh?
    1. Iman07's Avatar
      Iman07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
      IPAD FTW!!! why? because it's literally almost the same as all of the tablets and even better than some. But the ipad has what no tablet has, APPS!!! ever heard the saying "theres an app for that" yea well with apple that has become true and you can't beat the apps. My friend has the galaxy tab and he hates apple but never says why ( jealous much?) lol. But when were playing games we always end up sharing my ipad. Once I show him the ipad 2 hopefully the android spell will stop controlling his brain and then he can be set FREE!!! jk but seriously android messed with the bull and got the horns, let the games begin.
      ur a freaking idiot. u sound like a complete moron. damn fan boys.

      Quote Originally Posted by daffysam22 View Post
      FYI: The "720p HD" rear camera is <1 Megapixel... not that megapixels has much to do with the quality of a digital photograph anyhow (I'm sure all of those devices suck), but don't expect to print a nice high-res photo.
      because u tested all the other devices and u can confirm that they all 'suck' right? u have no brain. another fan boy.

      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      Amount of RAM is kind of meaningless actually. It all has to do with the efficiency of the OS. Even with multitasking the iPad 2 will not need more than 512MB of RAM since the screen is the same resolution. Apple has not reported the amount of RAM either so until ifixit does a tear down no one will know for sure.
      RAM does matter...who told u it doesnt. if iOS4 had real multitasking then you know that RAM matters. it doesnt take much to put an app on PAUSE. so i can see why iOS4 doesnt need that much RAM. but for those OSes that actually have real multitasking, RAM matters and they all have more. dont try to cover it up.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      If its about the OS, why do you even need an iPad when it looks EXACTLY like the iPhone 4?!?!? If its about software,why do you need the latest iPhone or iPad when the previous generations will get the same OS and same features.
      Same square icons, same push notifications, well just an upscaled iPhone OS.

      Also Honeycomb is actually better and nicer than iOS, just that Xoom sucks.
    1. iSteed's Avatar
      iSteed -
      Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
      ur a freaking idiot. u sound like a complete moron. damn fan boys.



      because u tested all the other devices and u can confirm that they all 'suck' right? u have no brain. another fan boy.
      You know what??... i am sick and tired of coming in to this forum and seeing this crap. If you want your droid crap go buy it. There is a reason why apple's products sell the way they do. It's very simple to figure out who is best. There are tons and tons of side by side field test comparisons of these devices....All of them that are available!!!! GOOGLE it! Then base your decisions on what you need and what you think is best. I've clearly made my decision..... So I guess I'm a "fanboy"... I guess that why I'm on this site....hmmm wow! go figure
    1. Iman07's Avatar
      Iman07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      True... But the Xoom is a overgrown mot handheld as well. Have fun with your xoom. I am sure it will work fine. My money for this one goes to the iPad... as far as screen res... really? I don't see too many people noticing a difference. My MBP has a lower res than my i7 sony. However, to the eye my MBP looks better.

      People often worry about numbers and size. side by side comparison will be needed with regards to speed and resolution for visual appeal.
      it looks better because ur brain is telling u that "its apple...so its better". a person with normal eyes would see that the higher resolution would be better.
    1. iSteed's Avatar
      iSteed -
      Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
      it looks better because ur brain is telling u that "its apple...so its better". a person with normal eyes would see that the higher resolution would be better.
      Why are you even on this website??? Please enlighten me?
    1. Iman07's Avatar
      Iman07 -
      cuz they often report about OSX and i get a good laugh at people defending iOS4 products without trying them and saying something is better 'just cuz it is'....truly brings me joy and laughs.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
      You are the only person I have ever heard complain about the iPhone 4 being low on memory. I could run all my apps, and still have ram to spare on my iPhone 4. If you think the iPhone 4 is bad, I would like to see what you would have to say about all the crapdroid devices out there. Trying to use one of those p.o.s phones is a f-ing nightmare!
      So your telling me you never had to close any apps from the multitasking task bar to free up memory? If so, your the biggest liar on the planet. Your obviously not conscious about how much memory the apps are actually using. I don't think the iPhone 4 is bad otherwise I wouldn't own one myself. I am not alone, there are others complaining as well. People like you (fanboys) are sad human beings who get upset when people say the slightest bad thing about the iPhone and bring up competitors to explain who is superior.
    1. bstunt10190's Avatar
      bstunt10190 -
      uhhhhhhh no, its all about everything together working together and the final product it produces...........

      you can have an os thats beautiful, but without hardware that can run it you're s*** out of luck. you can have awesome hardware, but without a good os all you have is a bunch of synthetic and natural materials.......
    1. EmmanuelFuentes's Avatar
      EmmanuelFuentes -
      Should also include battery life/specs
    1. iSteed's Avatar
      iSteed -
      Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
      So your telling me you never had to close any apps from the multitasking task bar to free up memory? If so, your the biggest liar on the planet. Your obviously not conscious about how much memory the apps are actually using. I don't think the iPhone 4 is bad otherwise I wouldn't own one myself. I am not alone, there are others complaining as well.
      Im not a big fan of the task switcher myself and there are many people who do not kill the apps in the task switcher. Apple should include a way to kill all and maybe even warn of a low memory condition. There is a cure for this in Cydia. = remove background and a seperate SBsettings toggle.. and you can make exceptions.. works beautiful
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      I think it's a testament to iOS that it started out as a Phone OS, and was so easily scalable for a Tablet Device, the same cannot be said for Android, they had to go back and design Honeycomb specifically for Tablets.
      Sorry but no, Android can be easily scaled up but whats the point?

      It'd be just like Android Froyo but with more space between icons and widgets.

      The iPad OS looks exactly like iPhone OS, same push notifications, same unlock slider, same UI, only apps were converted for a bigger screen.

      Google redesigned everything for Honeycomb and it looks nice and they did a good job. At least you can tell its not based of Android Froyo.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
      Are you sure it's an iPhone FOUR?? 512 is more than enough to handle all the ridiculous crap I install and run: and I'm a heavy user.

      Many people who are brand new to purchasing an apple product still believe that processor speed and ram are somehow comparable to other products or even relevant to the purchase. Apple (recent as of post-2000 era) does not release a product that isn't guaranteed to work smoothly. CPU and RAM are irrelevant. Compare actual usage. The os's of apple are so much better than the competition that apple has been selling hardware to accompany it's software for longer than most competitors have been in the computing industry.

      In the end, Os efficiency makes all the difference. Don't believe me? Compare your iPhone four to that motorola brick or the htc drywall.
      Who ever said OS efficiency isn't important? Even a dummy know how important it is. I'm saying its not as efficient as I would expected to be. Yes your another fanboy comparing iPhone to competition.
    1. Moreno53's Avatar
      Moreno53 -
      LMAO at idiots still asking for flash!! 100 million + iOS devices sold and NOW flash is needed?? GTFOH!!!

      iPad2 smokes the competition and to talk about the damn cameras....REALLY?? Are the people on this board so out of touch with reality that they dont understand that how many gigapixels you have on your camera means NOTHING! RAM? WTF does it matter if the iPad is super quick (which all initial reports say it is).

      This is why Steve and CO are so far ahead of the competition, they realize this nonsense about spec wars is useless and all it does is it turns the market into a battle on sheets of paper. Its all about how well the product integrates into the users life and how well the product addresses the consumers experience with the product.
      SD Slots? Megapixels? I have said it over and over again, the best way to fail at a product is to base your design on the idiotic comments on tech blogs and message boards.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
      If its all about the software for you then you don't need to buy the iPad 2. The iPad 1 will run 4.3 fw just like the iPad 2. You're all set!
      True. I have no need but I have the extra cash to blow.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
      Could have just posted 'first'.
      You could have just not posted.
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
      Not so bright huh?
      If by bright you mean lemming or fanboi then no. It's funny, I have been an iphone/ipad user since launch and the second I disagree with the whole "jesus made the iphone with the help of chuck norris" mentality people start turning. Many of you are simply saying it's better but cannot give a solid reason why. If Steve Jobs packaged all his bowel movements and called it iCrap many of you would buy it and say it is the best smelling crap ever.

      It's people like you that are the reason I own stock. Because we can tell you what to buy and not give a valid reason and you will buy it and defend it till your last drop of blood because it's the flavor of the year. The ipad is a good product, not great, but good. I'm not wasting another 900 bucks for slight upgrades. This is like going from the 3G to the 3GS.

      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      Sorry but no, Android can be easily scaled up but whats the point?

      It'd be just like Android Froyo but with more space between icons and widgets.

      The iPad OS looks exactly like iPhone OS, same push notifications, same unlock slider, same UI, only apps were converted for a bigger screen.

      Google redesigned everything for Honeycomb and it looks nice and they did a good job. At least you can tell its not based of Android Froyo.
      Thank you! Finally someone sees the logic here!