• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Firmware Version 2.0 Officially Available iPhone + iPod Touch
    Update: The official firmware released today is different from yesterday's early leak. The filesizes of the files are different and there is a minor change in the file name. It is not clear what the differences are yet so stay tuned -- give us a heads up if you discover the difference!

    Update 2: The method to fix the ibricks made in the activation process is to leave the iphone plugged in and on for 10-15 mins. Don't close iTunes. Don't touch anything. Just leave it be.

    No longer do you have to use our early methods. You can grab firmware 2.0 straight from iTunes update for both the iPhone and iPod Touch.

    Sorry touch users, as expected you have the privilege of paying for it dearly if you want to updated to 2.0. What will you get by purchasing? Well you'll get the ability to spend money on apps in the appstore, something iPhone users get for free.

    edit: BE CAREFUL while upgrading now, due to the iTunes Store having trouble staying online many users trying to upgrade their first genereation devices are ending up with bricks

    thanks ben, frycook
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Firmware Version 2.0 Officially Available iPhone + iPod Touch started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 84 Comments
    1. drumstat's Avatar
      drumstat -
      Just Got 2.0 Working On My 1st Generation iPhone ... I'm F#$%ing Downloading Super Monkey Ball --
    1. tattoojack's Avatar
      tattoojack -
      Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
      where is the link to the new 2.0 download?
      yeah thats the one from thursday.
      pay attention.

      here we go.

      WHERE IS THE "NEW" ONE "THIS" THREAD IS TALKING ABOUT?

      if you dont know, please keep your two cents.

      and if it is a differnet size, i seriously doubt it is the same. think for a second. if they changed it to a different size file, the file changed. you may not see the difference but it is there.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
      yeah thats the one from thursday.
      pay attention.

      here we go.

      WHERE IS THE "NEW" ONE "THIS" THREAD IS TALKING ABOUT?

      if you dont know, please keep your two cents.
      They're the same thing. The file sizes are different but you end up with the exact same thing on your phone.

      If you already manually updates yesterday you are done.
    1. tattoojack's Avatar
      tattoojack -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      They're the same thing. The file sizes are different but you end up with the exact same thing on your phone.

      If you already manually updates yesterday you are done.
      how do you "know" this to be true?

      have you decrypted both and compared every single file?

      i doubt it!

      if they are a different size, something changed!
    1. mfleigle's Avatar
      mfleigle -
      What is the filename for the official 2.0?
    1. dulow's Avatar
      dulow -
      Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
      I downloaded the firmware and updated yesterday, and now when iTunes won't download 2.0 because it doesn't think that I need to update my phone. How do I get iTunes to download the newest version of 2.0? Or where on apple's website would I do it manually?
      Would you not just click restore it worked for me it downloaded the 2.o firmware
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
      how do you "know" this to be true?

      have you decrypted both and compared every single file?

      i doubt it!

      if they are a different size, something changed!
      If there was anything different, this "official" one would have a different version number. All 3G phones using 2.0 have (5A357), guess what's the version of the leak yesterday? The difference in size is probably an attribute of it not being properly pacakge for retail release aka it might have not erased unused material. As far as the OS goes, your phone ends up with the same exact files from either install.

      Also, someone working on setting up an Apple Store last night (imaging the demo models) said the firmware on the 3G phones is the one that was found yesterday and that there will be no difference with whatever iTunes throws at you.

      But hey, with so much misinformation and stupidity running rampart with such a big release, believe whatever you want to believe.
    1. trevorrawson's Avatar
      trevorrawson -
      Quote Originally Posted by dulow View Post
      Would you not just click restore it worked for me it downloaded the 2.o firmware
      dulow,

      When I try to do that I get an error from iTunes which says "There was a problem downloading the iPhone software for the iPhone. The requested resource was not found"

      If anybody knows how to fix this problem I'd be ecstatic!
    1. mfleigle's Avatar
      mfleigle -
      Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
      dulow,

      When I try to do that I get an error from iTunes which says "There was a problem downloading the iPhone software for the iPhone. The requested resource was not found"

      If anybody knows how to fix this problem I'd be ecstatic!
      Same problem here
    1. Mp3Supply's Avatar
      Mp3Supply -
      Came from a Jailbroken 1.1.4 firmware NOT unlocked...

      Just incase anyone wants to know my situation...

      4:53pm - I downloaded this file iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw (that i got from the MMi link below) and do a Shift+Update and located it on my computer..

      http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....7_Restore.ipsw


      4:55pm Then it loaded into iTunes and sat an "Unpacking The Software" for like 10 mins.. let it go and it finally went to "Update iFone Software"

      4:57pm Verifying Updated iFone Software...sitting at this stage right now...

      5:05pm Now at "Updating iFone Firmware" (5:07pm)

      5:10pm activating at iTunes store.... seems to be back up and running .... thank god..

      5:10pm restoring phone with backup...

      5:13pm About half way done my restore.. .

      5:15pm Restore and restarting..

      5:16pm I see the App Store... and my phone is sync all my contacts and crap.. .

      5:17pm Phone activated and running.. ballin'!
    1. sullyvan's Avatar
      sullyvan -
      itunes keep saying my ipod is upto date.
    1. nodrog321's Avatar
      nodrog321 -
      so i have a 1.1.3 jailbreaked right now. i was wondering if i could just update the iphone through itunes (meaning by clicking the iphone on the left column and clicking update). will this brick my phone? or is there another procedure to do it?

      does the aim in appstore run through your data plan or text messages?

      thanks in advance!
    1. PhaedruS's Avatar
      PhaedruS -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mp3Supply View Post
      Came from a Jailbroken 1.1.4 firmware NOT unlocked...

      Just incase anyone wants to know my situation...

      4:53pm - I downloaded this file iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw (that i got from the MMi link below) and do a Shift+Update and located it on my computer..

      http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....7_Restore.ipsw


      4:55pm Then it loaded into iTunes and sat an "Unpacking The Software" for like 10 mins.. let it go and it finally went to "Update iFone Software"

      4:57pm Verifying Updated iFone Software...sitting at this stage right now...

      5:05pm Now at "Updating iFone Firmware" (5:07pm)

      5:10pm activating at iTunes store.... seems to be back up and running .... thank god..

      5:10pm restoring phone with backup...

      5:13pm About half way done my restore.. .

      5:15pm Restore and restarting..

      5:16pm I see the App Store... and my phone is sync all my contacts and crap.. .

      5:17pm Phone activated and running.. ballin'!

      you da man!
      im 'bout to be ballin' too.
      downloading the 2.0 restore pack now. iTunes thinks 1.1.4 is the latest version. people on the apple support forums r pissed.
      thanks again mp3supply.
    1. TEM94's Avatar
      TEM94 -
      Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
      dulow,

      When I try to do that I get an error from iTunes which says "There was a problem downloading the iPhone software for the iPhone. The requested resource was not found"

      If anybody knows how to fix this problem I'd be ecstatic!
      Same issue

      Quote Originally Posted by PhaedruS View Post
      you da man!
      im 'bout to be ballin' too.
      downloading the 2.0 restore pack now. iTunes thinks 1.1.4 is the latest version. people on the apple support forums r pissed.
      thanks again mp3supply.
      thats yesterdays leak its not the right one
    1. MMSiphone's Avatar
      MMSiphone -
      I'm on jailbroken 1.1.3 right now on AT&T. Obviously I'd like to be on 2.0 jailbroken as soon as a program comes out. Do you think it would be worth the trouble to jailbreak 1.1.4 on my iPhone to insure compatibility, or do you think 1.1.3 jailbroken iPhones will work just fine with any 2.0 jailbreaking programs?
    1. trevorrawson's Avatar
      trevorrawson -
      Does anybody else's mail crash on 2.0? Every time I try to open my mail it just crashes and goes back to my home screen. I upgraded to 2.0 using yesterdays leaked ipsw. And since iTunes won't let me restore to the new 2.0 I don't know what to do. Everything else works fine. Has anyone else had this problem and perhaps knows how to fix it?
    1. Sparblaze's Avatar
      Sparblaze -
      Quit whining about the firmware! I can't even get my iTunes to recognize my iPhone.
    1. sdmojaydo619's Avatar
      sdmojaydo619 -
      Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
      Does anybody else's mail crash on 2.0? Every time I try to open my mail it just crashes and goes back to my home screen. I upgraded to 2.0 using yesterdays leaked ipsw. And since iTunes won't let me restore to the new 2.0 I don't know what to do. Everything else works fine. Has anyone else had this problem and perhaps knows how to fix it?
      Try restoring it again with shift + click to the same firmware that you put on it.
    1. bigcnlb's Avatar
      bigcnlb -
      I found this on macrumors.com and it had a link to the official iphone 2.0 software. Yesterdays leak was I guess intended for the 3G phones to do a restore only but the offical software is for us to upgrade to

      Upgrading from Unofficial iPhone 2.0 Firmware to Official 2.0 Firmware - Mac Rumors
    1. Mp3Supply's Avatar
      Mp3Supply -
      yeah my mail didn't work.. . earlier.. when i restored my 1.1.4 jailbroken to the stock 1.1.4 softawre on a shift+restore.. my mail didnt work and then when i restored to a 2.0 on the MMi linked file.. my mail didnt work either...

      i need to do a hard restore....