• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Your iPhone Listens to Music Too? Listen.app
    Erica Sudan has come up with another little ingenious app called Listen. Believe it or not, just hold your iphone up to some music, and your iphone will happily list the song, artist and album! Never again will you have to ask everyone around you "what's that song again?"



    For now you can visit Erica's Site to download and then install manually but Ste Packaging should have it on their installer source very soon. Very Cool App!

    [via tuaw] thanks Erica for the tip . . . and the app of course

    edit: Ste has it up on his installer source now
    second edit: if you like it give it some digg love

    third edit: the service is disabled for good it looks like. the owners of the music db apparently don't like people freely accessing it.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Your iPhone Listens to Music Too? Listen.app started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 201 Comments
    1. agentfubu's Avatar
      agentfubu -
      Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
      Okay - for those who DON'T BOTHER TO READ...
      The Listen app IS NOT WORKING NOW because the service is down. Erica, the creator of the app, is waiting for a license or some such thing in order for the service to work again... if that happens.

      So, until you see something posted that the service is back up, LISTEN WILL NOT WORK. You can uninstall it, and reinstall it until you have worn out dent marks on the screen of your phone, and it still will not work.

      For those who really don't understand, trying to make Listen work now is like trying to watch TV when you have no cable/satellite service.


      Is this clear enough?

      NOT WORK!?!?!

      HOW FIX?!?!?!


      Some people need to learn to read.
      I really hope this will all work out in time.
    1. cranie's Avatar
      cranie -
      I think Erica must have seen us pondering the legalities of it and figured better safe than sorry.. to keep it running after we tested it fairly well would have been risky until she gets an ok. While I REALLY love the program and would use it extensively, I somehow feel if they aren't making a dime on it they'll never let her/us resume.
    1. brettt's Avatar
      brettt -
      Don't be rude on a message board because someone asked a question you knew the answer to. I'm not always going to read 9 pages of "wow this app is awesome" to see if there's a shred of evidence as to why it isn't working stuck in the middle of there. I clicked "Last" like everyone else to get to the last page of the thread to look for clues. And I know how to read. Just ignore people when they ask questions that bug you. Thank you.
    1. Blaze189's Avatar
      Blaze189 -
      The app doesn't work for me at all I tried and tried countless times and it just says "connection failed." Is there something I need to do?
    1. graphsic's Avatar
      graphsic -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaze189 View Post
      The app doesn't work for me at all I tried and tried countless times and it just says "connection failed." Is there something I need to do?
      sorry but people, PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD!!!!! Common, this kind of bullsh*it takes take fun out of it for sure!
    1. yowiphone's Avatar
      yowiphone -
      So its down?
    1. graphsic's Avatar
      graphsic -
      YES! unfortunately it's down untill further notice. So for EVERYBODY who don't want to read the whole thread: IT IS DOWN.
    1. tsatryan's Avatar
      tsatryan -
      For those who are brand new to using formuns like this to find information as well as to assist others in finding information, before accusing others of being impolite, you need to understand exactly HOW to use forums, the generally accepted rules for using forums, and especially the specific guidelines for using the forums at this site.

      Nearly every forum site that I have posted in has a thread at the top of its list that says something to the effect of "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING." In fact, in many forums, if you fail to read that thread, and post against that forum's rules, your posting will be deleted, and you will be banned for a certain amount of time before you may post again.

      One generally accepted rule in all forums, is don't post a question that has already been asked, and answered. Especially if it has been asked and answered dozens of times. Even moreso if the exact question you ask was answered in the very post before yours.

      I think most everyone posting in forums like this are willing to help others. But, when on countless occassions the thread is hijacked (and my apologies for hijacking this thread, but it seems as though it is needed here) by someone unwilling or lacking in the foresight to simply read a little or search a little before making a post, then it makes the entire thread to be useless to anyone.

      As an example, if I was trying to use the Listen app, and all of a sudden it stopped working, and I got a message of "Source unavailable," then the best thing to do would be to open this thread, click on the "Search this thread" link at the top, and enter the words "Source unavailable" (or whatever the error message I received.) Then, a search would be done to see if those words were posted anywhere else in the thread. Pretty simple. And, to your own benefit, you get the answer you are looking for immediately, instead of posting the already-asked question and waiting for some response.

      Please understand that a thread is NOT a personal conversation that you may just butt into. It is a continuing conversation - hence the word thread - where each comment builds upon the former.

      So, to quote an oft used phrase in many forums...

      Search is your friend.
    1. solidgoldmini's Avatar
      solidgoldmini -
      Erica has posted on her blog that Listen is dead because of the high cost of a commercial license, and the unavailability of a noncommercial license. So connection failed is all we will see unless something magic happens.

      http://ericasadun.com/?p=143

      Bummer, this was one of my favorite apps.
    1. graphsic's Avatar
      graphsic -
      and what are the costs of a commercial license? Does it help if everyone donates a couple of bucks?
    1. rmarquez's Avatar
      rmarquez -
      nvm forget it.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by rmarquez View Post
      says connection failed. neone else?
      I think that after one point we should just ban people that don't bother reading the thread. Hell, we should ban people that don't bother reading the previous two posts.
    1. Jasper44's Avatar
      Jasper44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
      For those who are brand new to using formuns like this to find information as well as to assist others in finding information, before accusing others of being impolite, you need to understand exactly HOW to use forums, the generally accepted rules for using forums, and especially the specific guidelines for using the forums at this site.

      Nearly every forum site that I have posted in has a thread at the top of its list that says something to the effect of "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING." In fact, in many forums, if you fail to read that thread, and post against that forum's rules, your posting will be deleted, and you will be banned for a certain amount of time before you may post again.

      One generally accepted rule in all forums, is don't post a question that has already been asked, and answered. Especially if it has been asked and answered dozens of times. Even moreso if the exact question you ask was answered in the very post before yours.

      I think most everyone posting in forums like this are willing to help others. But, when on countless occassions the thread is hijacked (and my apologies for hijacking this thread, but it seems as though it is needed here) by someone unwilling or lacking in the foresight to simply read a little or search a little before making a post, then it makes the entire thread to be useless to anyone.

      As an example, if I was trying to use the Listen app, and all of a sudden it stopped working, and I got a message of "Source unavailable," then the best thing to do would be to open this thread, click on the "Search this thread" link at the top, and enter the words "Source unavailable" (or whatever the error message I received.) Then, a search would be done to see if those words were posted anywhere else in the thread. Pretty simple. And, to your own benefit, you get the answer you are looking for immediately, instead of posting the already-asked question and waiting for some response.

      Please understand that a thread is NOT a personal conversation that you may just butt into. It is a continuing conversation - hence the word thread - where each comment builds upon the former.

      So, to quote an oft used phrase in many forums...

      Search is your friend.
      The same question being asked and answered over and over again along with posting in the wrong section annoys the hell out of me but I've come to realize that there are just far too many incredibly stupid people out there for it to ever stop. I also no longer read PM's because they are mostly people asking me ridiculous questions I'll never take the time to answer.
    1. phoenixfire425's Avatar
      phoenixfire425 -
      how much is the commercial lic... and if we donate can we get enough?!?!
    1. OneyOzFest182's Avatar
      OneyOzFest182 -
      I wonder if she plans on switching it to use one of the multiple free sources, like MusicDNS, MusicIP, Foosic, etc.? I don't wanna see one of the best iPhone apps die just like that.
    1. graphsic's Avatar
      graphsic -
      me neither!!!!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Tried this out and when it gets to connecting to server it says the connection failed. The network works just fine on wifi and edge (after all I just installed the thing) but it just doesn't find the server. Is there some sort of setup I am missing?
    1. graphsic's Avatar
      graphsic -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Tried this out and when it gets to connecting to server it says the connection failed. The network works just fine on wifi and edge (after all I just installed the thing) but it just doesn't find the server. Is there some sort of setup I am missing?
      **** off dude
    1. Taniban's Avatar
      Taniban -
      help me, im seeing connection failed.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... it is actually becoming of a joke now and people must be doing this on purpose. Everytime i'm hoping the latest message would be an update on the Listen app but instead its another person saying 'connection failed'. JOKES!
    1. BoostedEvoIX's Avatar
      BoostedEvoIX -
      Damn that sucks that we wont be able to use it anymore. Im always in the car listening to music and alot of the times i wana find out songs and this would have been great