• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Rampant Rumors of iPhone 'Nano' Appear


    The internet was buzzing the entire weekend it seemed with waves of information regarding rumors of a smaller iPhone that Apple has in the works. The product has been confirmed by some pretty big sources, including the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg.

    There's been a substantial amount of information about this phone bouncing around the web, so we've taken the time to round-up as much of the info and put it in one place for you.

    Design and Cost:
    The iPhone 'nano' (that's what I'll call it for now) would have a smaller form factor, smaller than current iPhones, and could cost as little as $200, off-contract. That could easily translate to an on-contract price of around $50. That's significantly less than current iPhones that can retail for well over $600 off-contract. The phone may even ditch the home button and feature an edge-to-edge screen Maybe that's when we'll see those nifty multi-touch gestures from the iOS 4.3 Beta (originally for iPad, but ported to iPhone). It's been also rumored that the phone would not utilize a retina display in order to keep costs down.

    Storage:
    The phone could utilize much less on-board storage (the most expensive part of the iPhone is its storage) than the current iPhone. Rumors like this rely on yet another set of rumors of a MobileMe revamp (which we've seen hints of) that could accompany a release of a product like this, that would allow users to access their Media wirelessly with cloud storage. We'd assume, just as 9to5 Mac does, that the phone will feature at least some on-board storage to handle the core OS and allow users to install apps. Because what good is an iPhone without apps to go with it?

    New Feautures:
    Not much in this category yet, other than the previously mentioned edge-to-edge screen, but it's also rumored the iPhone nano will have voice-based navigation built-in, something only currently possible through a 3rd-party app or via Jailbreak. It's also possible that the cloud based media could allow for Apple to roll out a long-rumored music streaming service, requiring even less physical memory onboard.

    Release:
    All signs point to a summer release for this iPhone. The phone is expected to be a mid-range price point. Many are speculating that the release of this phone could accompany the release of the iPhone 5.


    Some things we haven't heard anything about include any mention of what carriers will offer this phone, although I would speculate Verizon and AT&T would both get it. And of course, Apple isn't confirming anything. As usual, we'll wait and see. We'll keep you all updated if more information comes in regarding the new iPhone.

    Source:
    9to5Mac
    MacRumors
    WSJ
    Bloomberg
    image: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Rampant Rumors of iPhone 'Nano' Appear started by Matt Savoca View original post
    Comments 86 Comments
    1. Knehcs's Avatar
      Knehcs -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      Size matters. #kinkythread


      Save for the fact Hondas stop when you want them too.
      Ohoho daaayumn.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by g12007 View Post
      What if the nano is the iphOne 5 ?
      That would never happen! If it did I might have to go over to android for a year (probably not though)... I like a bigger screen, if anything the screen should get bigger for iPhone 5!
    1. Tfost's Avatar
      Tfost -
      Quote Originally Posted by Method2001 View Post
      I would actually like for them to go bigger. But thats just my opinion lol
      I'd like that as well! Por favor
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      People are failing to realize that to fit even last year's iphone tech into a smaller package, it would cost just as much as the latest and greatest "full size" iphone.
    1. piston597's Avatar
      piston597 -
      Would love to be able to stream music from my computer's library over the air to my iPhone... I have like 2000 songs but want to sync only like 400 and stream the rest if I feel like... that'd be a good thing
    1. csworrell's Avatar
      csworrell -
      who is the idiot who did this photo show? because the phone is a few cm smaller they tag it as greener?
    1. mvhurlburt's Avatar
      mvhurlburt -
      I could see this potentially happening if Apple is going to smarten up against the android threat. Hell it could be a phone with a 3.5" non-retina display and no physical home button. That way Apple could keep costs way low as they have already secured those supply channels. I personally wouldnt buy such a device as I am a self-proclaimed-nerd but this would be a great move to get everyday consumers looking at the lower price range that would normally go for android or BB. quite frankly, as I said I would never buy one, but it would be an excellent excellent move to capture/keep market share from the "oh-so-open android platform!"
    1. davidkraft86's Avatar
      davidkraft86 -
      The person posting this article did NOT do their homework... This article was also posted on CNET and Engadget with a wealth of more accurate knowledge...

      First off the pricing point listed by WSJ is $200 w/ no contract and providers would be able to subsidize it for free with a 2 yr contract.

      This phone is 1/3 smaller with an OLED screen instead of retina to reduce cost, as well as a slightly different design on the glass and casing.

      The OS would be the same, just because the phone is smaller does not mean it will require a different OS. Apple will release the phone along with the next version of iOS to support the multi-touch gestures required for the removal of the home button.

      Most likely the phone will come with the processor out of the 3GS or possibly a new lesser version of the a4, again to reduce cost as well as the fact that not as much processing power will be required due to the lesser screen.

      This is a very plausible idea that I believe we will most definitely see from Cupertino this summer along with the next gen iPhone. It will allow Apple to enter the prepaid business as well as reach a much MUCH larger audience.
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by davidkraft86 View Post
      The person posting this article did NOT do their homework... This article was also posted on CNET and Engadget with a wealth of more accurate knowledge...

      First off the pricing point listed by WSJ is $200 w/ no contract and providers would be able to subsidize it for free with a 2 yr contract.

      This phone is 1/3 smaller with an OLED screen instead of retina to reduce cost, as well as a slightly different design on the glass and casing.

      The OS would be the same, just because the phone is smaller does not mean it will require a different OS. Apple will release the phone along with the next version of iOS to support the multi-touch gestures required for the removal of the home button.

      Most likely the phone will come with the processor out of the 3GS or possibly a new lesser version of the a4, again to reduce cost as well as the fact that not as much processing power will be required due to the lesser screen.

      This is a very plausible idea that I believe we will most definitely see from Cupertino this summer along with the next gen iPhone. It will allow Apple to enter the prepaid business as well as reach a much MUCH larger audience.
      You know, everyone can make their own version, as it is only a rumor and nothing more.

      Apple is not going to make a phone for tweens. period.
    1. davidkraft86's Avatar
      davidkraft86 -
      Apple is and HAS been in the business for the "tweens", this is was the iPod is all about, especially the touch. Allows younger audiences to play without having to have a cell phone. And now that the cell phone age consistently lowers, it definitely makes sense for Apple to appeal to such a large crowd.

      Not to mention the WSJ was dead on with their last release about Apple plans.
    1. endwaro's Avatar
      endwaro -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      Complete non-sense: the idea that there will be no local storage for media would make this a very expensive phone to operate... OTOH, 4-8 GB are cheap enough these days and enough to hold a couple of movies + lots of music and apps.
      Yes apple could easily get a 4 GB version of the nano iphone. But still the iphone nano for me is a waste. Im getting Iphone 5 and i like it to be as good as it is. The size is perfect for me. A little bigger would be fine but not a must. Smaller yeah????
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by davidkraft86 View Post
      Apple is and HAS been in the business for the "tweens", this is was the iPod is all about, especially the touch. Allows younger audiences to play without having to have a cell phone. And now that the cell phone age consistently lowers, it definitely makes sense for Apple to appeal to such a large crowd.

      Not to mention the WSJ was dead on with their last release about Apple plans.
      Guess what? They are all just rumors an opinions. Yeah, the touch is the kids toy (and mod-ers like me that don't want to screw up an iphone), but I don't see Apple changing up and making a smaller iphone. As it is, the iphone 4 is almost too small.

      Plus, the cost to shrink the 3gs tech and put it in a smaller body would be just as much as an iphone 4 or 5.
    1. davidkraft86's Avatar
      davidkraft86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      Guess what? They are all just rumors an opinions. Yeah, the touch is the kids toy (and mod-ers like me that don't want to screw up an iphone), but I don't see Apple changing up and making a smaller iphone. As it is, the iphone 4 is almost too small.

      Plus, the cost to shrink the 3gs tech and put it in a smaller body would be just as much as an iphone 4 or 5.
      With MUCH less power usage, Apple could considerable reduce the battery size as well as the plans to reduce the memory size, so the issue of the smaller body shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Where are you getting the MUCH less power usage?
    1. crankz1's Avatar
      crankz1 -
      It's all about money. Apple will do whatever they want to get more of it...
    1. davidkraft86's Avatar
      davidkraft86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      Where are you getting the MUCH less power usage?
      Considerably smaller screen, OLED will draw quite a bit less power than the retina as well as the lesser processor will save battery life... These are your two MAIN battery users in any mobile device.
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      Not many kids my age want a mini version of the iPhone. Kids want bigger screens, not smaller ones.
    1. davidkraft86's Avatar
      davidkraft86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
      Not many kids my age want a mini version of the iPhone. Kids want bigger screens, not smaller ones.
      Not many kids can talk their parents into a $200 iPhone either, but a Free one sounds much nicer.
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      Quote Originally Posted by davidkraft86 View Post
      Not many kids can talk their parents into a $200 iPhone either, but a Free one sounds much nicer.
      Agreed but that there can be some arguments being for the fact that with the iPhone you'll need data with att with means you know that you'll have to pay one way or another.
    1. davidkraft86's Avatar
      davidkraft86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
      Agreed but that there can be some arguments being for the fact that with the iPhone you'll need data with att with means you know that you'll have to pay one way or another.
      Very true, but I think one of the main gimmicks Apple will pull with this smaller version will be the fact that it can be offered on Prepaid plans as well... Pair an iPhone with Virgin Mobile, Boost, or even Straight Talk and you are guaranteed mass sales.