• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • NEW GUIDE: Virginize, upgrade, and unlock. From 1.0.2 to 1.1.1.
    All right, now that the virginizer is out, I have created a guide which will let you know how to get from an unlocked iPhone running 1.0.2 (NOT unlocked with IPSF) to an unlocked iPhone running 1.1.1.

    The first installment of the guide, How to Virginize your 1.0.2 iPhone (which is basically just downloading the baseband is all), is now finished. I have the screenshots done for the next 3 bits as well (upgrading to 1.1.1, preparing the 1.1.1 phone for modding/unlock, and unlocking 1.1.1), and will have the guides up tonight.

    Good clean fun.

    Thanks to jwdav, I added a step in the first part - restoring to a clean 1.0.2 before preparing to upgrade to 1.1.1. This should fix some folks issues.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: NEW GUIDE: Virginize, upgrade, and unlock. From 1.0.2 to 1.1.1. started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 320 Comments
    1. christian.symmons's Avatar
      christian.symmons -
      ok all done. unlocked with 1.1.1 on there!
    1. rfp's Avatar
      rfp -
      my phone bricked after 2 hours use on 1.1.1 following this guide.

      I don't think it has anything to do with poetic folly's guide though.

      I trust him 100%.

      To rectify I followed the downgrade guide

      worked a treat, do exactly as it says.
    1. birdieman's Avatar
      birdieman -
      I am stuck in the Terminal... After typing pasword as dottie, I get
      -sh-3.2# (not just # sign) and will not let me type more than 3 letters and closed my cnnection.

      Tried to uninstall Open SSD from Installer and reinstall Open SSD.

      Cannot reinstall BSD from installer: Package download failed: can't connect host


      EDIT: Use INdependence, remove SSD, install SSD, go back to installer and reload BSD.

      after that run terminal and # sign will come out.
    1. theliksta's Avatar
      theliksta -
      Hi Guys,

      Finally got back to 1.1.1 after i downgraded to 1.0.2 and then used the instructions on the independence help tab.

      Many thanks for all of your work Poetic Folly,and quick responses! One thing though,why did the phone kick back to the at&t unsupported sim page when i attached to itunes? It just seemed a little weird that it went from ok to locked in the time it took to re-attach phone to laptop.The only thing i was running at the time was the apptap download,would this have done anything???

      Curious to have some feedback.

      Also in the virginizer steps,i never did get the file seczone.backup in either the user/bin file or in cyberduck but still managed to complete the steps and get everything working.Would this make a difference and cause any glitches?
    1. chasev2's Avatar
      chasev2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jasonandmel View Post
      are there some other commands i need to type aside from ssh -1 root 192.168.0.xxx? because terminal wont connect to my phone.
      I can answer this!

      You are typing the command wrong. That's the letter "L" not the number "1".

      The command is:

      ssh -L root 192.168.x.xxx

      It's a lower case L though. I just capitalized it for emphasis.

      I had the same error. I was typing 1 until I looked closer at the guide and saw it was an L.
    1. fleischi's Avatar
      fleischi -
      Hey guys,
      I need your help. I virginized my iPhone and now I want to prepare my iPhone for the 1.1.1 update, but it doesnt work. The button is disabled. Do you have any idea??? here the screenshot:

      Thanks for your help!!
    1. jChristopher's Avatar
      jChristopher -
      Hi all.

      Thanks for the guide, PF!

      But I'm curious about the final unlocking stage. I see that the iPhone-elite team is still working on a "true" unlock for 1.1.1. Does this mean to suggest that the current version of anySIM 1.1 will unlock a 1.1.1 iPhone for now ... but that we might run into more of the same problems (e.g., baseband downgrades, re-virginizing) with Apple's next firmware upgrade?

      (Basically, I've not been able to find any info on what anySIM actually does in the new version. Is it just being destructive to the seczone like the previous version?)

      Thanks in advance for any clarity that someone can provide me...
    1. jarno1977's Avatar
      jarno1977 -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleischi View Post
      Hey guys,
      I need your help. I virginized my iPhone and now I want to prepare my iPhone for the 1.1.1 update, but it doesnt work. The button is disabled. Do you have any idea??? here the screenshot:

      Thanks for your help!!
      Same problem here, read something about restarting SSH but I'm not exactly sure on how to do that?

      --edit: Never mind, installing SSH from Independence did the trick!
    1. zeroMPHfallover's Avatar
      zeroMPHfallover -
      Am I missing something?

      I have a fresh out of the box 1.1.1 iPhone and I want to unlock it.
      Can I simply follow the following two guides to achieve this?

      Preparing the 1.1.1 iPhone for Unlock/Modding
      Unlocking 1.1.1 iPhone


      Or do I actually have to downgrade, virginize, upgrade, prepare for unlock and then finally unlock?

      Can't I just use the two aforementioned guides?

      Also, what precautions do I have to follow regarding my sim card during all these steps? Do I keep the AT&T card in the whole time? Or do I put in my carrier's sim card?

      Thank you very much for all your hard work and any help!
    1. avamark's Avatar
      avamark -
      Quote Originally Posted by christian.symmons View Post
      ok solved my issue.

      reloaded the .plist (launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist)

      rebooted the phone got my operator logo back.

      ran through the process again with this time doing

      launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist


      everything went smoothly
      followed this process and now my phone has no phone service. Terminal gives me and error of "nothing found to load" ...if I try putting in "launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist" it gives me an error of "no such process"...PLEASE HELP ME!

      Edit: Ok, so I reinstalled and ran iUnlock and went through that whole set up and now my phone seems to be working except for it occasionally gives me a message of "No Sim" and I have to take out my card and put it back it. Any suggestions on how to fix this and/or update to 1.1.1.???
    1. peeInMyPantz's Avatar
      peeInMyPantz -
      hi guys....
      while running iUnlock...
      i get this error....
      "FW differences found"
      I have never upgraded to 1.1.1.. and i've always been on 1.0.2

      then i tried to restore baseband...
      and checksum for EEP file failed.... why?? i tried different EEP files from different sources.. even tried extracting it myself.. doesn't work

      i'm stuck without phone function, and no wifi
    1. tmas73's Avatar
      tmas73 -
      Is there any guide how to get apptap going on the 1.1.1 unlocked?

      ALSO:

      This is a great tutorial works perfect for me. Thanks to the iPhone community and the author of this guide, YOU GUYS RULE.

      Wired but I did not even had to unlock the phone it worked fine with my old cingular sim, no idea y. =)
    1. davedave1234's Avatar
      davedave1234 -
      I had the "FW Mismatch" forget the exact error and "Unable to download .FLS" error and was able to fix it. I ran Ieraser and erased the firmware then did a bbupdated to flash the firmware. Finaly ran through the guide and all is well now. Just thought this may come in handy for some with my same errors.
      Dave
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      Quote Originally Posted by rfp View Post
      my phone bricked after 2 hours use on 1.1.1 following this guide.

      I don't think it has anything to do with poetic folly's guide though.

      I trust him 100%.

      To rectify I followed the downgrade guide

      worked a treat, do exactly as it says.
      A few people have had this same issue. Which method did you use to unlock originally? Mine is fine, I have done a few with this method without issue. I'd like to isolate the problem. Give us a little background on your iPhone's history...

      Quote Originally Posted by birdieman View Post
      I am stuck in the Terminal... After typing pasword as dottie, I get
      -sh-3.2# (not just # sign) and will not let me type more than 3 letters and closed my cnnection.

      Tried to uninstall Open SSD from Installer and reinstall Open SSD.

      Cannot reinstall BSD from installer: Package download failed: can't connect host
      Try reinstalling the BSD Subsystems. A network error or issue on their site could have been the reason you were unable to reinstall previously.

      Quote Originally Posted by theliksta View Post
      Hi Guys,

      Finally got back to 1.1.1 after i downgraded to 1.0.2 and then used the instructions on the independence help tab.

      Many thanks for all of your work Poetic Folly,and quick responses! One thing though,why did the phone kick back to the at&t unsupported sim page when i attached to itunes? It just seemed a little weird that it went from ok to locked in the time it took to re-attach phone to laptop.The only thing i was running at the time was the apptap download,would this have done anything???

      Curious to have some feedback.

      Also in the virginizer steps,i never did get the file seczone.backup in either the user/bin file or in cyberduck but still managed to complete the steps and get everything working.Would this make a difference and cause any glitches?
      Seczone.backup shouldn't have anything to do with it. I am not sure what the issue is there. Others have had a similar issue, although many more have had no issues at all. What had you previously done to your iPhone?

      Quote Originally Posted by fleischi View Post
      Hey guys,
      I need your help. I virginized my iPhone and now I want to prepare my iPhone for the 1.1.1 update, but it doesnt work. The button is disabled. Do you have any idea??? here the screenshot:

      Thanks for your help!!
      You need to install SSH first.

      Quote Originally Posted by zeroMPHfallover View Post
      Am I missing something?

      I have a fresh out of the box 1.1.1 iPhone and I want to unlock it.
      Can I simply follow the following two guides to achieve this?

      Preparing the 1.1.1 iPhone for Unlock/Modding
      Unlocking 1.1.1 iPhone


      Or do I actually have to downgrade, virginize, upgrade, prepare for unlock and then finally unlock?

      Can't I just use the two aforementioned guides?

      Also, what precautions do I have to follow regarding my sim card during all these steps? Do I keep the AT&T card in the whole time? Or do I put in my carrier's sim card?

      Thank you very much for all your hard work and any help!
      Just those two guides should be fine.
    1. n1c3jack3t's Avatar
      n1c3jack3t -
      This is exactly what I did...it's really easy.

      Download these:
      http://iphone-elite.googlecode.com/f...ginator_10.zip

      http://rapidshare.com/files/64647223..._pack.zip.html

      pf edit: here's an MMi mirror.


      1. Install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH via Installer or iBrickr

      2. Extract the virginizer_pack folder from the zip file.
      Extract the virginator_10 folder from the zip file.
      Extract virginizer.sh from the virginator_10 directory and place in the virginizer_pack folder.

      3. Connect to your WIFI, take note of your phone’s IP address (Settings-WIFI-Tap your network for the infro).
      SSH into your phone via WinSCP.
      Host is your phone’s IP iddress, user name is: root, password is: dottie. File protocol is SCP.

      4. It’ll take a little bit to load up. You might get a prompt asking you to abort since it’s been 15 seconds, just ignore that and let it do it’s thing. You should now be in the phone, with the files on your computer on the left, and the iPhone’s directories on the right.

      5. Navigate to the beginning of the tree and navigate to this folder: usr/bin

      6. Drag the virginizer_pack folder from your computer (left window of winscp) to the /bin folder on the iphone.
      Make sure the virginizer_pack folder and its files have their permissions set at 0755. (Either hit F9 to change it, or right click the folder and click on properties).

      7. Now, log into your phone via putty. Your phone’s same ipaddress, and the user is: root, password is: dottie.

      8. Navigate to the virginizer_pack folder by typing in:
      cd /usr/bin/virginizer_pack

      9. Give virginizer.sh permission to execute by typing in:
      chmod +x virginator.sh

      10. Execute virginizer.sh by typing in:
      ./virginizer.sh

      11. Follow all the prompts from here on and it’s all automated!!!

      The hardest part is just figuring out WinSCP and Putty. After that it really is not complicated at all. My phone was virginized, I updated to 1.1.1 via iTunes. Activated, jailbroke, and unlocked successfully!
    1. glimer4's Avatar
      glimer4 -
      Dear All, Can somebody guide me to insall the latest AppTap after all these prcedures. I've followed the steps closely and now i'm running 1.1.1, but i need to know how to run 3rd party app. Thanks
    1. peeInMyPantz's Avatar
      peeInMyPantz -
      Quote Originally Posted by davedave1234 View Post
      I had the "FW Mismatch" forget the exact error and "Unable to download .FLS" error and was able to fix it. I ran Ieraser and erased the firmware then did a bbupdated to flash the firmware. Finaly ran through the guide and all is well now. Just thought this may come in handy for some with my same errors.
      Dave
      mine was unabled to download .EEP coz of mismatch checksum
      i ran ieraser also.. but i still get the same problem.....
      so i cannot even do the bbupdate step properly coz of the checksum mismatch
    1. pacman126's Avatar
      pacman126 -
      i did all the steps to virginize the phone and all went well, i have also done everything up to where in independence i am supposed to click firmware then the pre 1.1.1 upgrade when i do that it trys to connect and give me this error
      "Couldn't remove entry from /Users/philipcarnevale/.ssh/known_hosts. Please edit that file by hand and remove the line containing your phone's IP address."

      does anyone know how to fix this?
    1. jaws01's Avatar
      jaws01 -
      I have put on installer.app on my phone but when I go and update it installer to the newest version 3.0b4 the file size is 0 bytes.

      I have reinstalled the BSD Subsystem already.

      Also when trying to remove some of the old apps it gives me some script error.

      Thanks
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      Quote Originally Posted by n1c3jack3t View Post
      This is exactly what I did...it's really easy....
      Great guide! Can anyone pop up some screenshots of this method and we can add it to the wiki?

      Quote Originally Posted by glimer4 View Post
      Dear All, Can somebody guide me to insall the latest AppTap after all these prcedures. I've followed the steps closely and now i'm running 1.1.1, but i need to know how to run 3rd party app. Thanks
      As the guide states, simply install Installer.app (included in the virginizer pack) using the same method in iNdependence as you installed anySIM with.

      Quote Originally Posted by pacman126 View Post
      "Couldn't remove entry from /Users/philipcarnevale/.ssh/known_hosts. Please edit that file by hand and remove the line containing your phone's IP address."

      does anyone know how to fix this?
      Yes. Please edit that file by hand and remove the line containing your phone's IP address.