• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T Stores identify & reject unlocked or bricked returns
    Those hoping to sneak a bricked/false IMEI unit by an AT&T rep for return (within 14 days).....

    ...didn't everyone say not to install 1.1.1?

    from a little birdy...

    TIPS for identifying modified software on iPhones:

    Examine all returns closely for signs of possible unlocking or unauthorized software modifications.

    1. When powered on, the network name in the top left corner of the home screen is a carrier other than AT&T.

    2. IMEI etched onto unit does not match IMEI listed under settings/general/about/IMEI.
    3. Customer reports iPhone will not work after upgrading to the new firmware (tethering and accepting a software update).

    CRITICAL, MUST KNOW/MUST DO:
    Per Apple users who make unauthorized modifications to the software on their iPhone violate their iPhone software license agreement and void their warranty.
    Handsets showing signs of modifications may not be returned at any time.
    Review and understand the warranty and return policies.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T Stores identify & reject unlocked or bricked returns started by amnesia View original post
    Comments 134 Comments
    1. .:MirrorminD:.'s Avatar
      .:MirrorminD:. -
      wow nice find, thanks for posting.
    1. Jdbwood's Avatar
      Jdbwood -
      i went to the apple store and they denied me any warranty
    1. aziatiklover's Avatar
      aziatiklover -
      damn att
    1. obajoba's Avatar
      obajoba -
      So how did they inspect your phone? what if the correct IMEI shows up at the screen that says "No sim card installed" ?
    1. johentie's Avatar
      johentie -
      my IMEI matches the etched one on the back..

      and if u take out the sim card it says No SIM

      but mines old anyway haha
    1. iphoneroeth's Avatar
      iphoneroeth -
      glad I did not unlock (yet)
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      Thats expected and not surprising
    1. jahoosawa's Avatar
      jahoosawa -
      I jailbreaked my iphone and use all kinds of installer apps. I just installed 1.1.1 firmware and everything seems to be fine. Besides all my mods being wiped clean. I am also sending in my iphone for service this weekend. We'll see how this turns out.
    1. rkisling's Avatar
      rkisling -
      Probably worth a read: http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2386/1/ I believe there may be a problem with failing to honor a warranty due to simply installing 3rd party software under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If enough people are denied warranty replacement, this could ultimately get answered in the courts -- I hope it doesn't and Apple does the right thing.
    1. DoerrFan's Avatar
      DoerrFan -
      Just go to an an Apple store and say its a goPhone, they can't tell, and all the goPhone ones are bricking as well.
    1. eg6motion's Avatar
      eg6motion -
      wow, apple is really pulling everything out on this one....Makes it sound more like the bricking was intentional by apple....seems to be far too many phones not working to say it "may" happen...

      At least the software modded phones shouldn't have any signs of this stuff...the imei and carrier logos should be the same, unless you changed it. good ol apple, how dare we all try to add functionality to the boring iphone (slaps self on wrist)
    1. DoerrFan's Avatar
      DoerrFan -
      Alright im off to the store to see how i fair.
      wish me luck
    1. iphoneroeth's Avatar
      iphoneroeth -
      Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
      wow, apple is really pulling everything out on this one....Makes it sound more like the bricking was intentional by apple....seems to be far too many phones not working to say it "may" happen...

      At least the software modded phones shouldn't have any signs of this stuff...the imei and carrier logos should be the same, unless you changed it. good ol apple, how dare we all try to add functionality to the boring iphone (slaps self on wrist)
      of course it was intentional, they even announced it before.
    1. jtudor's Avatar
      jtudor -
      Quote Originally Posted by jahoosawa View Post
      I jailbreaked my iphone and use all kinds of installer apps. I just installed 1.1.1 firmware and everything seems to be fine. Besides all my mods being wiped clean. I am also sending in my iphone for service this weekend. We'll see how this turns out.
      +1...Didn't have any problems with the update but I can't wait until we can do it again.
    1. rexxiboy90807's Avatar
      rexxiboy90807 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jtudor View Post
      +1...Didn't have any problems with the update but I can't wait until we can do it again.

      When you said no problems, was yours unlocked before? What have you done to your iphone just jailbreak and third party mods?
    1. vette802's Avatar
      vette802 -
      i wonder if i should i take mine back before something happens and they wont accept it
    1. Sofabutt's Avatar
      Sofabutt -
      Anyone who has been with Apple for a while should know not to install updated software until a bunch of early updaters have a chance to complain about what is broken and what is fixed in the latest version.

      Besides? Who really needs a wifi iTunes store anyway?
    1. LGgeek's Avatar
      LGgeek -
      Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - where are the greedy tobacco lawyers when we need them.

      Apple is going down the same road that almost put them out of business last time, shitting on customers (and the best paying ones at that)
    1. listenclose's Avatar
      listenclose -
      Quote Originally Posted by LGgeek View Post
      Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - where are the greedy tobacco lawyers when we need them.

      Apple is going down the same road that almost put them out of business last time, shitting on customers (and the best paying ones at that)
      I was thinking the same thing. Don't they see the bad publicity from this coming? After the price drop marketing plan spoiled by angry early adopter complaints and a soon to come international out cry over "in limbo'ed" iPhones they may take a hit in the upcoming holiday season.
    1. DoerrFan's Avatar
      DoerrFan -
      They refused mine, i even brought up the Magnuson-Moss Act, still no luck. Im calling the FTC and BBB and Cooperate for Apple. This isn't over