• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Geohot Responds to Sony Lawsuit via Rap


    Geohot is no stranger to legal troubles. His latest problems with the law involve Sony suing him for violation of the DMCA, computer fraud and copyright infringement. They have been granted a temporary restraining order which “forbids him from distributing the jailbreak, helping or encouraging others to jailbreak, and distributing information they've learned during the creation of the jailbreak,” according to his Wikipedia page.

    The courts have also ordered Geohot to hand over all computers and storage media used in the creation of any jailbreaking software to Sony’s lawyers. I know I would have a hard time handing over all of my computer equipment to a bunch of lawyers. In response to Sony’s allegations Geohot has posted his opinion on the matter on YouTube. For those of you who enjoy reading along with the lyrics:

    Yo it’s geohot
    And for those who don’t know
    I’m getting sued by Sony
    Let’s take this out of the courtroom and into the streets
    I’m a beast, at the least, you’ll face me in the northeast
    Get my ire up, light my fire
    I’ll go harder then Eminem went at Mariah
    Call me a liar
    Pound me in the *** with no lube, chafing
    You’re ******* with the dude who got the keys to your safe and
    Those that can’t do bring suits
    Cry to your Uncle Sam to settle disputes
    Thought you’d tackle this with a little more tact
    But then again fudgepackers, I don’t know Jack
    I shed a tear every time I think of Lik Sang
    But **** man, they’re a corporation
    And I’m a personification of freedom for all
    You fill dockets, like that’s a concept foreign to y’all
    While lawyers muddy water and TROs stall
    Out of business is jail for me
    And you’re suing me civilly
    Exhibit this in the courtroom
    Go on, do it, I dare you


    Source: 9to5 Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Geohot Responds to Sony Lawsuit via Rap started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 174 Comments
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      I personally think i've seen more 360s than ever a PS3. i know only 2 people at my school who own anything from sony and niether of the 2 are ps3. they're both psp. Now i know a good percentage of my school owns at least some sort of xbox. Maybe thats just my school though
      it's just your school. The numbers have become pretty close, with 360 having sold just over 50 million units (as of early January) and the PS3 having sold just under 50M (47 million or so if I recall correctly).
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
      Once again...read the damn facts before you post!!! He released the master keys for god sakes!!!! The keys are copy written, meaning he HAS broken the law!!!
      Ah the good old illegal numbers argument.
    1. Snozberries's Avatar
      Snozberries -
      Quote Originally Posted by Testjockey View Post
      Sony should just hire him so he can make the money his talents deserve
      Sony would need a huge paper towel to wipe the egg off their face if they decided to hire Geo. Let's sue him! No, let's hire hime! No, Let's rap battle him! This is total BS. As soon as you buy their device, you can do what you wish to your device. if you decide to pirate warez... GL to you and welcome to the free-for-all gang-b@ng that big corps will toss all kinds of money to half rate lawyers to sue/imprison you... ugh...
    1. djgunner's Avatar
      djgunner -
      that's pretty hilarious.
    1. gt5l's Avatar
      gt5l -
      Actually, this is pretty damn good.
    1. The Amazing Atheist's Avatar
      The Amazing Atheist -
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
      Once again...read the damn facts before you post!!! He released the master keys for god sakes!!!! The keys are copy written, meaning he HAS broken the law!!!
      Show me where the keys are copyrighted.

      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      it's just your school. The numbers have become pretty close, with 360 having sold just over 50 million units (as of early January) and the PS3 having sold just under 50M (47 million or so if I recall correctly).
      Maybe sony just isnt popular in southern indiana
    1. PP1999's Avatar
      PP1999 -
      He's so cool 8) I've always liked him=P
    1. The Amazing Atheist's Avatar
      The Amazing Atheist -
      Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
      Sony would need a huge paper towel to wipe the egg off their face if they decided to hire Geo. Let's sue him! No, let's hire hime! No, Let's rap battle him! This is total BS. As soon as you buy their device, you can do what you wish to your device. if you decide to pirate warez... GL to you and welcome to the free-for-all gang-b@ng that big corps will toss all kinds of money to half rate lawyers to sue/imprison you... ugh...
      i dont think sony can swallow their pride and hire him
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post



      I personally think i've seen more 360s than ever a PS3. i know only 2 people at my school who own anything from sony and niether of the 2 are ps3. they're both psp. Now i know a good percentage of my school owns at least some sort of xbox. Maybe thats just my school though
      PS3 - 14,397,555
      X360 - 14,018,360

      Those are the numbers for sales (worldwide) in 2010. What you've seen at school in terms of ratio of who has a ps3 versus a 360 is, well, meaningless. Your sample size is way too small and honestly indicative of absolutely nothing in terms of the big picture.

      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      Show me where the keys are copyrighted.
      To be honest I don't have the information, but I will say this: In order for Sony to be granted the restraining order, they would have had to show that SOMETHING was done illegally. Otherwise, enough time has passed that it would have gotten thrown out if it was issued over unjustified reasons. This is more than just an intent to sue. This is the backing of the justice system forbidding him to proceed.
    1. iliveudie's Avatar
      iliveudie -
      Exactly what I am saying.

      Apple already went through this entire ordeal and LOST. Geohot is a different story, though.

      He illegally distributed copy written material.

      The courts will probably grant the act of jailbreaking lawful, like what happened with Apple, but they will, in no way, grant his distribution of copy written material lawful.
    1. The Amazing Atheist's Avatar
      The Amazing Atheist -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      PS3 - 14,397,555
      X360 - 14,018,360

      Those are the numbers for sales (worldwide) in 2010. What you've seen at school in terms of ratio of who has a ps3 versus a 360 is, well, meaningless. Your sample size is way too small and honestly indicative of absolutely nothing in terms of the big picture.



      To be honest I don't have the information, but I will say this: In order for Sony to be granted the restraining order, they would have had to show that SOMETHING was done illegally. Otherwise, enough time has passed that it would have gotten thrown out if it was issued over unjustified reasons. This is more than just an intent to sue. This is the backing of the justice system forbidding him to proceed.
      So you're basically saying you have no proof what so ever that the rk is copyrighted other than Sony got away with putting a restraining order on geohot.

      Now tell me this, out of those 14,397,555 ps3 owners how many know how to hack one?
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      So you're basically saying you have no proof what so ever that the rk is copyrighted other than Sony got away with putting a restraining order on geohot.

      Now tell me this, out of those 14,397,555 ps3 owners how many know how to hack one?
      The root key is propietary code that Sony wrote. Since when has there been any argument that the RK is not copywritten?

      Quite a few know how to hack them. How many iDevice owners know how to hack their devices?

      What are you trying to prove?
    1. The Amazing Atheist's Avatar
      The Amazing Atheist -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      The root key is propietary code that Sony wrote. Since when has there been any argument that the RK is not copywritten?

      Quite a few know how to hack them. How many iDevice owners know how to hack their devices?

      What are you trying to prove?
      read up
    1. smooth22's Avatar
      smooth22 -
      If it wasn't for jail breaking trust me I wouldn't have a iphone I would be somewhere with a HTC in my hand..so if they think suing GEO is going help sony or apple its going to be a financial down fall for those 2 companies..I must say MC GEO got some skills very surprised I thought he was a nerdy guy I was wrong.. BIG UPS GEO!! and WHIP THEY *** IN COURT!!
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      read up
      I have, and the only person arguing that they aren't copy-written is you!
    1. The Amazing Atheist's Avatar
      The Amazing Atheist -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      I have, and the only person arguing that they aren't copy-written is you!
      Im stating he hasn't violated any laws >_> whether it's copy righted or not he didn't release it as his own or sell it. That's like saving a copyrighted picture and then sending it so someone then it's illegal for doing it.
    1. sekazi's Avatar
      sekazi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      So you're basically saying you have no proof what so ever that the rk is copyrighted other than Sony got away with putting a restraining order on geohot.

      Now tell me this, out of those 14,397,555 ps3 owners how many know how to hack one?
      You do not need to hack one with the root key. Sign a game and put it up for download and you can play. Hell you could probably download it directly from the PS3 browser. No hacking required just signed code with the root key. It is not anymore difficult than downloading MP3s from the internet.
    1. utahmed's Avatar
      utahmed -
      What a clean room....
    1. 4n4c0nd4's Avatar
      4n4c0nd4 -
      It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots come out of the woodwork to establish pointless arguments.
    1. The Amazing Atheist's Avatar
      The Amazing Atheist -
      Quote Originally Posted by 4n4c0nd4 View Post
      It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots come out of the woodwork to establish pointless arguments.
      I hope you're not talking about me >_>