• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Firmware 2.2 Released


    iPhone Firmware Version 2.2 was released this morning, and as usual it is recommended you do not apply it until the Dev Team gets Pwnage tool and Quickpwn updated. Some of the new features include are:

    Street View For Google Maps
    Ability To Turn Auto-Correct Off
    Ability to download Podcasts over the air.
    Updated Safari Menu Bar
    Walking And Bus Directions in Maps.
    No copy or paste OR MMS
    More to come as we see them...



    ALSO: iTunes 8.0.2 Is out as well (Thanks to nickh for sending that in)
    Onslaught of Direct Links ahead!

    1st Gen Touch: Here
    2nd Gen Touch: Here
    1st Gen iPhone: Here
    iPhone 3G: Here

    Edit Poseidon: For 1st generation users that just can't wait for the updated pwnage/quickpwn... you can use the UPDATE feature iTunes and retain the unlock (no baseband update) and activation. You WILL lose your 3rd party apps and jailbreak.

    The jailbreak for 2.2 is on its way soon according to the dev team - they just have to test to make sure it works fine, but they're fairly sure the Pwnage method is unchanged in 2.2.

    If you are using a proxySIM (YES SIM, Universal SIM, etc) for your 3G unlock then DO NOT upgrade. The baseband gets upgraded and you proxySIM will NO LONGER WORK!

    If you accidentally upgrade your 3G iPhone to firmware 2.2 there is NO WAY to downgrade because of the baseband update. You're STUCK.


    admin edit: Remember, if you're jailbroken, DO NOT UPDATE quite yet!



    -pf
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Firmware 2.2 Released started by DoerrFan View original post
    Comments 230 Comments
    1. boe_dye's Avatar
      boe_dye -
      Quote Originally Posted by LeeDude View Post
      Lemme see if I can explain this properly. The big difference between the 1.x firmwares and the 2.x firmwares is where all of the files are located. The entire file system was moved around. This meant that all of the previous 1.x firmware programs were unable to work until they optimized for the change. It was a lot of work for some, and in some cases, not worth the time. Apple made this change for the AppStore. I don't believe we will see a big change like that again on the iPhone, and if we do, it won't be for a long while. So right now, I can't imagine any updates would completely render your 3rd party apps useless. And if some don't work here and there, I don't think it would be difficult for the developers to fix them.


      Edit: Re-read your post, not sure if you meant they worked on 2.0 but not 2.1, or what. I just woke up, and I think i'm confusing myself in a heated debate (with myself) to decide how you meant your question. :P
      Thanks for the insight on that!

      It was more of an over all f/w to f/w version question. Thinking back, the what prompted me to ask was when I first got my iPhone and JB, there was a message in Cydia that said something along the lines issues between 2.0 and 2.1.

      I don't specifically remember what it was or said.

      But I did distinctly remember an issue between 1.x and 2.x which you answered quite nicely.

      My main concern is this: Having anything that you use on a daily basis becomes like an old pair of sneakers. Comfortable, useable etc. I like the satisfaction that comes with finally getting something tweaked just the way i like it, then having it be totally ruined when some "new and improved" idea comes around.

      Perfect example is when I updated FF from 2 to 3. Suddenly a whole schlew of themes and addons ceased working because of "compatibility". Things that I used daily and that I like alot.

      Thats another reason why I am leary about updating anything. The fear of sure I might get more stuff that i probably wont use, but how much am I going to lose of things that I really do use?

      Thanks again for the explanation!

      Quote Originally Posted by Dizz View Post
      Probably not. I can't see someone sitting around at the Apple store or AT&T opening every single sealed iPhone that is running 2.1 and update each one of them to 2.2 then sealing them back up to sell. So odds are there's still a bunch of 2.1 software iPhones that need to be sold off before they get and start selling 2.2's.
      unless they would do it during the activation process...

      Quote Originally Posted by buzios View Post
      That is not correct.

      With minor exceptions, from 1.x to 2.x files remained in the same place.
      There are always a few changes in every new firmware but that usually don't break regular apps.

      What caused apps written for 1.x not to work on 2.x were changes to some APIs, a new linkage and signature (not required on 1.x)

      In the 2.x series of firmware, apps written for fw 2.0 using the "official" API should continue to work.
      Apple can not change the existing public API.
      Apple can extend the API but can not change what was released in 2.0.
      okay... that makes sense too...

      Your answer seems a bit more logical.

      Thanks!
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by buzios View Post
      That is not correct.

      With minor exceptions, from 1.x to 2.x files remained in the same place.
      There are always a few changes in every new firmware but that usually don't break regular apps.

      What caused apps written for 1.x not to work on 2.x were changes to some APIs, a new linkage and signature (not required on 1.x)

      In the 2.x series of firmware, apps written for fw 2.0 using the "official" API should continue to work.
      Apple can not change the existing public API.
      Apple can extend the API but can not change what was released in 2.0.
      You need to do a lot more research before making claims like that. The file system tool chain is completely different. In 1.1.4 the apps were stored on the root partition and run as root. The 2.0+ moves the apps to the mobile partition and all apps are run with user (mobile), NOT root permissions. Every single app had to be COMPLETELY re-written for 2.0... not just "minor" changes as you stated.

      For everyone worried about app compatibility from 2.1 to 2.2 99% of all apps should work in their current state since updated from 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.0.2 > 2.1 have all been MINOR updates without file structure changes. Hope this helps.
    1. Carrbone's Avatar
      Carrbone -
      ^^ seriously...



      anyone else get the txt message from apple and att saying 2.2 is out and to upgrade?
    1. boe_dye's Avatar
      boe_dye -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      You need to do a lot more research before making claims like that. The file system tool chain is completely different. In 1.1.4 the apps were stored on the root partition and run as root. The 2.0+ moves the apps to the mobile partition and all apps are run with user (mobile), NOT root permissions. Every single app had to be COMPLETELY re-written for 2.0... not just "minor" changes as you stated.

      For everyone worried about app compatibility from 2.1 to 2.2 99% of all apps should work in their current state since updated from 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.0.2 > 2.1 have all been MINOR updates without file structure changes. Hope this helps.
      that helps too. I could see how both arguments would pertain to the situation as both instances have occoured in various other systems.

      However i think this answers my question, and thank you for being detailed!

      Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
      ^^ seriously...



      anyone else get the txt message from apple and att saying 2.2 is out and to upgrade?
      yup at 10 oclock in the am.

      i wonder if they charged me for that message...
    1. DSMKilla's Avatar
      DSMKilla -
      Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post

      i wonder if they charged me for that message...
      LMFAO!! No ***** huh!
    1. Andy51081's Avatar
      Andy51081 -
      iPhone 3G
      With o2 in uk
      Had jailbroken on 2.1 and upgraded to 2.2, but, the apps that were hidden with poof in boss prefs are still hidden it would seem. I also still have the numeric battery and the mim operator txt still edited to my personal preference.

      Now before everyone says I should have waited, I don't care about the unlock. But what I'm asking is will I be able to bring these back after the new jailbreak when it arrives?
    1. johny5's Avatar
      johny5 -
      I really hope one of you can help me out here. I attempted to upgrade to 2.2 from a previous version that had been pawned and am now stuck in DFU mode. I get an error, 1016, I think and iTunes tells me it cannot be restored. I have tried all older versions of firmware that are on my drive with the same end result but occasionally receive a different error code. I even tried booting into xp to restore with the same result.

      I'm running:
      Macbook
      iPhone 3G
      I don't remember the firmware that was on it most recently but am thinking it was most likely the release just prior to this one.
      iTunes is updated and current.

      Please, help if you can.

      Many thanks,

      J5
    1. phillipxenxciel's Avatar
      phillipxenxciel -
      i already see people coming in to my store asking about unlocking or jailbreaking 2.2, people never learn~xd
    1. boe_dye's Avatar
      boe_dye -
      you know, i really dont think that the majority of people get the whole jailbreaking or unlocking appeal. They are mostly doing it cause it sounds cool and makes them feel like hackers.
    1. Zman-iPhone's Avatar
      Zman-iPhone -
      EVERYBODY WHO IS SAYING IT IS FASTER IS JUST USED TO THE SLOWNESS OF YOUR JB DEVICE! Obviously if you do a clean restore/update you would think that it would run faster...
    1. watsony250's Avatar
      watsony250 -
      I've got a quick question.

      I used winpwn to jb my 1st gen iphone and I'm now on 2.0.1. What should I use to jb my phone now since winpwn hasnt been updated in forever. I'm on a PC by the way. Will these other programs screw-up my iphone since I already pwned my itunes and phone?
    1. wgm214's Avatar
      wgm214 -
      pwnagetool and quick pwn is out
      blog.iphone-dev.org
    1. gameviper's Avatar
      gameviper -
      Quote Originally Posted by wgm214 View Post
      pwnagetool and quick pwn is out
      blog.iphone-dev.org
      indeed it is....
    1. aayman_farzand's Avatar
      aayman_farzand -
      Alright! Downloading now..
    1. ady199's Avatar
      ady199 -
      Now that the tools are out there, can anyone please share a custom 2.2 firmware for the iphone 1st gen

      Thanks in advance
    1. helitx's Avatar
      helitx -
      OK, I have an AT&T iPhone 3g, do not care about unlocking to be able to use on another carrier, just so I can install apps via Cydia and Installer. i.e. use Winterboard, etc. Am I reading correctly that it is ok in my situation to use the latest release of Quickpwn? or ????
    1. aries_green_monkey's Avatar
      aries_green_monkey -
      ALL i wanted was emoji icons...

      why would somebody make this up??
    1. cpjr's Avatar
      cpjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by helitx View Post
      OK, I have an AT&T iPhone 3g, do not care about unlocking to be able to use on another carrier, just so I can install apps via Cydia and Installer. i.e. use Winterboard, etc. Am I reading correctly that it is ok in my situation to use the latest release of Quickpwn? or ????
      Backup.....update (dont sync)....quickpwn....sync.....your good to go.
    1. bubonicbryan's Avatar
      bubonicbryan -
      Okay. I'm utterly confused.
      I have 16gb first gen iphone that is unlocked and jailbroke.
      Do I click "update" in itunes (wont this get rid of my unlock?!?!), then use the new quickpwn for mac to re-jailrbeak and redownload all my cydia apps?

      I'm worried I'm going to brick my iphone.
    1. wgm214's Avatar
      wgm214 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bubonicbryan View Post
      Okay. I'm utterly confused.
      I have 16gb first gen iphone that is unlocked and jailbroke.
      Do I click "update" in itunes (wont this get rid of my unlock?!?!), then use the new quickpwn for mac to re-jailrbeak and redownload all my cydia apps?

      I'm worried I'm going to brick my iphone.
      you will never be permanetly bricked, and you should be able to update a first gen without losing your unlock. your jailbreak will be erased though, but you can rejailbreak just as easily as the first time. quickpwn and pwnagetool are out for mac