• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Politicians Get OUT OF MY IPHONE


    Thank you Obama. While I tend to lean a little right during presidential elections my vote has been swinging back and forth between you and McCain so far this election. In fact I do have a minor lack of confidence latey in Palin as the right person to lead this country in the case that McCain's health fails (hes old with some health issues ya know) and it was going to make Election '08 a tough choice for me.

    My day goes something like this. Phone calls right when I wake up feeding me some one-sided view. On the way to work I ride the light rail and read the newspaper, usually containing some biased opinion about you or McCain which I attempt to avoid reading. Some more phone calls from one side or the other trying to get my vote. Then I go to lunch. Walking down the outdoor mall to buy food I get harassed by nice young people (usually from the democratic party) telling me whatever BS sounds nice trying to win over my vote. Then I go back to work and usually have a phone call or two from friends where we discuss the election (the only time I actually have an enlightened conversation concerning politics). Ride home on light rail . . . alright I wont go on the trend continues

    I hear and see lopsided views concerning Election '08 all day long. Political parties are getting way too invasive into life. I didn't ask for phone calls. I didn't ask to be chased down the street. I didn't ask for a freaking AppStore app.

    I see you have published a nice little app. I must admit that it is well done and feature rich. I also will concede that it was most likely a great move by your team. I wish I has thought of it and sold you the idea.



    Now I can get my Obama fix easily and conveniently from my phone with your very clean app. I can watch videos on youtube, read some news, subscribe to your txt msg and email updates, figure out where the local dems are holding events, read your policies on the issues, sign up to work for you (for free), and even call my friends in battleground states to force my political views on with the awesome battle ground state contact call list. If that isn't enough I can also choose to give you money!

    Get out of my phone Obama. Your app annoys me. Politicians already push their policies and agendas in enough mediums during election time. Campaign propaganda is unavoidable. I shiver at the thought that minor local candidates for future elections may follow in your footsteps and flood the AppStore with biased crap.

    This kind of thing doesn't belong on the AppStore from either party or any candidate. Yes I realize I don't have to download it but I don't feel that it needs to be there in the first place. Thank you Apple for rejecting solid apps like Podcaster (don't worry we have you covered) while allowing the AppStore to be flooded with countless numbers of countdown apps, tip calculators, other mindless crap, and now propaganda direct from Politicians.

    /rant

    while discussion is encouraged here, if you can't help but post things insulting people for their political beliefs then kindly do not post.

    Oh yeah and to all the devs, designers, and management that made this app happen: Raven Zachary, Jason Grigsby, Jonathan Wight, Lyza Gardner, Aileen Jeffries, John Keith, Dom Sagolla, Mike Lee, Louie Mantia, Tristan O’Tierney. Very well done. Creative way to support your candidate of choice and I'm impressed. I'm not fond of this avenue being opened as a possibility for Politicians to campaign. Or maybe I'm jealous. Either way well executed app.

    edit: I see ads on my site that I have never seen before since I typically avoid politics when I post. I see Election '08 ads. I almost regret writing this post.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Politicians Get OUT OF MY IPHONE started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 135 Comments
    1. Shinner23's Avatar
      Shinner23 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
      Like those creative EMAIL SPAM apps, that flood our email boxes with useless mindless crap. At some point in your life you have to take a stand on what is relevant and what is a waste of time for your Grey matter to process. Political apps have no business in this space... You want to listen to Obama stuff get a podcast, or TV, Radio, News Paper, Bill Boards, everywhere...
      How is it "useless" if someone chooses to use it?

      Seriously, just b/c McCain still uses one of those old fashioned original car phones, don't get bent out of shape when someone tries a fresh approach.
    1. NArush's Avatar
      NArush -
      [quote=Grip;2360581]I think this thread is looking for trouble and has gone off topic. Everything said here is mere opinion and should be moved to the appropriate section.

      and just to add to the off topic discussion..

      This app just shows where his priorities are. I am voting for McCain and for experience.. NOT for non specific 'change'. personally he would be a better circus clown than a president, he sure does give a great show. I will agree with his chosen Vice President when he said obama is not ready to be president.

      We can do this all day long man..

      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWX5u69hmzY"]YouTube - TPMtv: Dazed and Confused[/ame]
    1. iMacMar's Avatar
      iMacMar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Shinner23 View Post
      Exactly. Give me a break. It's a creative idea that gives people a "choice" to add it or not. People have a problem with "choice", I guess.
      I thought Cash was going to give an actual review of this app I quickly downloaded last night after reading it on TUAW but instead its a slight bash which makes no sense to me when he didnt have to get the app in the first place. IMO i think it great for those people who care about helping there campaign i wish this app was out last month. Everyone on this forum must respect the fact that technology is being used for everything. Why not politics, if Obama can reach the crowd of people who may be on the fence of NOT voting weather its through iPhone apps, Cartoons, Or Whatever thats a great day when i see a politician reaching out to everyone to urge them to vote and make change not just the same group of people. Anyway the Obama 08 is great and its even on my dock so yea thats all...
    1. hhaw3's Avatar
      hhaw3 -
      i think this is a great idea! if you don't like it then simply don't install it. the freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. however for myself, I am trying to become more educated in politics (as it bores me) because i realize how important it is to my future and the future of my kids (given i have some one day). i think it would be awesome if they came out with one for McCain as well. so to stay on topic of discussing the app and not politics themselves..... GREAT APP!
    1. Nukie's Avatar
      Nukie -
      Pacman Get OUT OF MY IPHONE



      Thank you Namco. While I tend to lean a little during gaming sessions (damn accelerometer) my vote has been swinging back and forth between Pacman and Ms. Pacman so far. In fact I do have a minor lack of confidence latey in Blinky as the right person to lead this game in the case that Pacman's health fails (hes old with some health issues ya know).

      My day goes something like this. Phone calls right when I wake up feeding me some one-sided view. On the way to work I ride the light rail and read the newspaper, usually containing some biased opinion about Pacman or Ms. Pacman which I attempt to avoid reading. Some more phone calls from one side or the other trying to get my vote. Then I go to lunch. Walking down the outdoor mall to buy food I get harassed by nice young people (usually from Nintendo) telling me whatever BS sounds nice trying to win over my gaming to Wii. Then I go back to work and usually have a phone call or two from friends where we discuss gaming (the only time I actually have an enlightened conversation concerning gaming). Ride home on light rail . . . alright I wont go on the trend continues

      I hear and see lopsided views concerning gaming all day long. Gaming companies are getting way too invasive into life. I didn't ask for phone calls. I didn't ask to be chased down the street. I didn't ask for a freaking AppStore app.

      I see you have published a nice little app. I must admit that it is well done and feature rich. I also will concede that it was most likely a great move by your team. I wish I has thought of it and sold you the idea.

      Now I can get my Pacman fix easily and conveniently from my phone with your very clean app. I can watch videos on youtube, read some news, subscribe to your updates, figure out where the local gamers are holding events, read your policies on the issues, sign up to work for you (for free), and even call my friends in battleground states to force my gaming views on with the awesome battle ground state contact call list. If that isn't enough I can also choose to give you money!

      Get out of my phone Namco. Your app annoys me. Gamers already push their policies and agendas in enough mediums all the time. Gaming propaganda is unavoidable. I shiver at the thought that minor game developers may follow in your footsteps and flood the AppStore with biased crap.

      This kind of thing doesn't belong on the AppStore. Yes I realize I don't have to download it but I don't feel that it needs to be there in the first place. Thank you Apple for rejecting solid apps like Pull My Finger (don't worry we have you covered) while allowing the AppStore to be flooded with countless numbers of countdown apps, tip calculators, other mindless crap, and now propaganda direct from Namco.

      /rant

      while discussion is encouraged here, if you can't help but post things insulting people for their gaming beliefs then kindly do not post.

      Oh yeah and to all the devs, designers, and management that made this app happen: Toru Iwatani Game Designer, Hideyuki Mokajima San Programmer, Toshio Kai Sound & Music. Very well done. Creative way to support your career and I'm impressed. I'm not fond of this avenue being opened as a possibility for more games. Or maybe I'm jealous. Either way well executed app.
    1. OneRing2Rule's Avatar
      OneRing2Rule -
      hehe, thanks for the tip this morning. I installed it and gave the guy another $25.

      The other side scares me. Worse than Sauron.

      OneRing2Rule
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Woah! America's going to get a black president, tbh I can't see Obama being president, I'm not racist, don't get me wrong.

      When people are about to vote, his skin colour will cause quite a lot of people to vote Mcain at the end minute.
    1. marcoiac's Avatar
      marcoiac -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nukie View Post
      Pacman Get OUT OF MY IPHONE

      Thank you Namco. While I tend to lean a little during gaming sessions (damn accelerometer) my vote has been swinging back and forth between Pacman and Ms. Pacman so far. In fact I do have a minor lack of confidence latey in Blinky as the right person to lead this game in the case that Pacman's health fails (hes old with some health issues ya know).

      My day goes something like this. Phone calls right when I wake up feeding me some one-sided view. On the way to work I ride the light rail and read the newspaper, usually containing some biased opinion about Pacman or Ms. Pacman which I attempt to avoid reading. Some more phone calls from one side or the other trying to get my vote. Then I go to lunch. Walking down the outdoor mall to buy food I get harassed by nice young people (usually from Nintendo) telling me whatever BS sounds nice trying to win over my gaming to Wii. Then I go back to work and usually have a phone call or two from friends where we discuss gaming (the only time I actually have an enlightened conversation concerning gaming). Ride home on light rail . . . alright I wont go on the trend continues

      I hear and see lopsided views concerning gaming all day long. Gaming companies are getting way too invasive into life. I didn't ask for phone calls. I didn't ask to be chased down the street. I didn't ask for a freaking AppStore app.

      I see you have published a nice little app. I must admit that it is well done and feature rich. I also will concede that it was most likely a great move by your team. I wish I has thought of it and sold you the idea.

      Now I can get my Pacman fix easily and conveniently from my phone with your very clean app. I can watch videos on youtube, read some news, subscribe to your updates, figure out where the local gamers are holding events, read your policies on the issues, sign up to work for you (for free), and even call my friends in battleground states to force my gaming views on with the awesome battle ground state contact call list. If that isn't enough I can also choose to give you money!

      Get out of my phone Namco. Your app annoys me. Gamers already push their policies and agendas in enough mediums all the time. Gaming propaganda is unavoidable. I shiver at the thought that minor game developers may follow in your footsteps and flood the AppStore with biased crap.

      This kind of thing doesn't belong on the AppStore. Yes I realize I don't have to download it but I don't feel that it needs to be there in the first place. Thank you Apple for rejecting solid apps like Pull My Finger (don't worry we have you covered) while allowing the AppStore to be flooded with countless numbers of countdown apps, tip calculators, other mindless crap, and now propaganda direct from Namco.

      /rant

      while discussion is encouraged here, if you can't help but post things insulting people for their gaming beliefs then kindly do not post.

      Oh yeah and to all the devs, designers, and management that made this app happen: Toru Iwatani Game Designer, Hideyuki Mokajima San Programmer, Toshio Kai Sound & Music. Very well done. Creative way to support your career and I'm impressed. I'm not fond of this avenue being opened as a possibility for more games. Or maybe I'm jealous. Either way well executed app.
      This post is SO funny. You should consider a writing career, if you are not a writer already! There is nothing better than this approach to unveil the absurdities of some positions
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nukie View Post
      Pacman Get OUT OF MY IPHONE
      Game, set, and match. Hahahahaha

      PS: I don't think this is propaganda. Obama is relying on young voters this years to help people get informed and registered. When I saw this app I thought "awesome! now if politics come up and I'm asked something I don't know, I know where to look". It's a handy tool to help spread a message of change which we oh so badly need.
    1. neks0ne's Avatar
      neks0ne -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nukie View Post
      Pacman Get OUT OF MY IPHONE
      GG...
    1. zoolander369's Avatar
      zoolander369 -
      Why would anyone feel their privacy was invaded by this app? If you don't want it, DON'T install it.

      I think that most apps are great, because they give the user the freedom to add what they wish, thus making their iPhone THEIR iPhone.

      This post shouldn't have even been written.
    1. ghandioncesaid's Avatar
      ghandioncesaid -
      "Uh, that alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side the land uh boundary that have with uh Canada. We if our... our neighbors are foreign countries, theyre in the state that I am the executive of, and because they are right there they are right next to um to we we do. It's very important when... when you consider even national security issues with Russia as uh uh carrot? I don't know. Ya know?"

      -Sarah Palin 2008
    1. soulthoughts's Avatar
      soulthoughts -
      So far this thread hasn't been bad. I'm kind of surprised to be honest. Usually we get a lot of uninformed bashing from both sides of the fence. Good job MMi'ers. I was hoping to keep the race issue out of the discussion but someone already threw it in. Oh well it can't be all good can it?

      Let me start by saying that I am decidedly nonpartisan. I vote for whomever I think will do the best job regardless of political affiliation.

      That being said I think this is a brilliant move on Obama's part. How better to reach a target audience then through the Appstore? Is this propaganda? Yes, in it's classic definition. By Western standards this is not propaganda simply because there's not a negative connotation.

      It really bothers me that some are bashing a medium that's also a choice, the very foundation that runs the process....choice. If you don't like, don't install it. If you don't like Obama, don't vote for him. If you don't like McCain, don't vote for him. The poster who mentioned switching satellite companies has it right. He didn't like what he saw and he made a choice to switch.

      Please do not think this isn't a popularity contest. Any election is a popularity contest. The hope is that a particular canditate is popular for their political ideologies.

      I hope McCain follows suit and has an app in the Appstore. Too much information is not a bad thing. The more people we can inform the better off we can be.

      If we rail against this app then we must do the same for TV ads, MTV debates, YouTube debates and so on. This app to me signals a candidate, not necessarily my choice, that is changing with the times and has found yet another way to reach potential voters.
    1. computergeek99's Avatar
      computergeek99 -
      **** you pussy. Just jealous you didnt think of it. Why the **** not? Why can't there be an app? Maybe people want to help the campaign. Not everyone sits by their computer/iPhone all day talking about nothing but the iPhone.
    1. jwcrash's Avatar
      jwcrash -
      I don't understand Cash's rant...was this app dl'd to his iPhone and installed without his consent? I'd understand his fury if that's the case.

      Otherwise, shouldn't he be ranting into a mirror at the person who introduced the app onto his phone?
    1. enjoi4586's Avatar
      enjoi4586 -
      Quote Originally Posted by pHr3ak3r View Post
      I'm sorry but I must say I completely disagree with your thoughts on this app. An app is there simply to make someones life easier by making or doing something that they would like to be done, quicker. Obama is actually quite advanced when it comes to technology chiefly because he has an entire team dedicated to alternative online media. The fact that you would not only rip on Apple but also Obama for creating an app that you simply don't like, for essentially no good reason citing that you have to install it before it resides on your phone, is ridiculous. If you don't like it don't download it. If you don't like the candidate then don't read about him. Take some responsibility and deal with the situation yourself instead of writing a meaningless contradictory article that achieves nothing but further segregating the political community.

      fail.
      Excellent outlook my friend.

      No one is pulling anyones leg to get this app. For someone who is an Obama fanatic, this is a good app. But just because the app isn't the most appealing to you, does not mean you should bash it.
    1. 02589's Avatar
      02589 -
      I agree with Cash. It could have been McCain or Obama. The point is the same. Both candidates are plastered everywhere we look and they are both in an overly biased format. For instance, if you want to thing Biden won the debate turn on CNN. If you want to think Palin won, turn on FOX News.

      I think (hope) Cash's point is that the App Store is woefully overstocked with unproductive apps. This particular app is just another one and it is a subject because there's nothing on it that you can't find ALL OVER THE PLACE.

      For the few of you that don't already have your mind made up on the political scene, you need to dig much deeper than what you can get on the iPhone to get your answers.

      For those of you searching for a good app for the iPhone, this is just one more piece of worthless dribble to go through to find something worthwhile.

      I think the only value to this app is if you are already an Obama kool aid drinker and want to boost your ego or insecurity. Again, the point is the same, it could have been either candidate.
    1. LeeDude's Avatar
      LeeDude -
      I definitely lol'd at mtwiford. The guy in the red shirt cracks me up. Thanked yah. :P

      And yeah, i'm sick of all politicians. It's the same thing every few years. First we argue over who is right and who is wrong about who we vote for. Then the guy the bulk of us support gets into office, and we ultimately begin arguing about how bad he screwed things up. Lying should be illegal in elections. If you can't prove that you're trying your utmost hardest to give what you promised in your campaign, you should get the guillotine. Have your dominant hand used for self pleasure chopped off. Anything. Maybe then the lies, deceit, and tyranny, and everything else evil in our government, will be SLIGHTLY more balanced, and we'll actually get what we are voting for. Some democracy we have. If we vote for the people who lie about giving us what we want, is it truly a government for the people, by the people?
    1. skatertrash's Avatar
      skatertrash -
      Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
      Woah! America's going to get a black president, tbh I can't see Obama being president, I'm not racist, don't get me wrong.

      When people are about to vote, his skin colour will cause quite a lot of people to vote Mcain at the end minute.
      if that's true, that's f****** pathetic. how can you ignore every major issue, and decide the leader of our country based on race? All men are created equal (women too), and there is no place in this country or anywhere on earth for discrimination by skin color. You have obviously not thought for one second about putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is not white. Disgusting.
    1. LeeDude's Avatar
      LeeDude -
      Quote Originally Posted by computergeek99 View Post
      **** you pussy. Just jealous you didnt think of it. Why the **** not? Why can't there be an app? Maybe people want to help the campaign. Not everyone sits by their computer/iPhone all day talking about nothing but the iPhone.
      Do the asterisks stand for beer? Man I want a corona right now...