• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Firmware 2.1 Announced - To be Released this Friday
    10:49AM "This is a big update, it fixes lots of bugs. Fewer dropped calls, big battery life improvements. No crashes with Apps. Backing up is faster." Nice.



    Couple more days to find out just how much they fixed (or broke) the firmware.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Firmware 2.1 Announced - To be Released this Friday started by Happy Noodle Boy View original post
    Comments 184 Comments
    1. Eurisko's Avatar
      Eurisko -
      Didn't they also promise Video playlists in 2.0 and the ability to watch videos in portrait mode? You can do this with music videos, but not regular videos.
    1. 2004.1.8t's Avatar
      2004.1.8t -
      Anyone know if it will have the PUSH notification? Perhaps someone with the Ipod 2.1 can chime in? BTW SDK 2.1.1 was released for iphone today
    1. Projectile's Avatar
      Projectile -
      Quote Originally Posted by catbirdman View Post
      It's like everytime a new firmware update is announced the same comments come up after the post.

      According to several stats Apple seems to have sold about 5 400 000 iPhones from Q3 2007 to Q2 2008.

      >> So what Nokia has sold 3 times that.. Reminds me of the game Lemmings...

      The Price of the Iphone 3G has been recorded as high as 2,396 as a finalized sale online.

      >> Again so what, Only proves there is one Born Every Day!

      It's truly hard to compare some stats to other phones such as the Nokia N95 because they don't get as much publicity.

      >> I am in the US and even I don't make such arrogant statements, just because it's not all over the place in the US does not mean it's not popular. Your Right though it's not fair, the Nokia blows it away.

      To continue:

      The argument seems to be the iphone lacks "essential" features such as MMS, A2DP, Copy & Paste. Many other smartphones do contain these features. However, when you bought the Iphone, did it contain these features? No. Maybe it will maybe it won't.

      >> Many of us buy technology based on many criteria, but one is that a product from an otherwise innovative company will eventually mature. If features were left out because the radio firmware was more important, then one can understand. But those things you state are common basic features that no mature product should be with out...

      You have to think about your arguments. On one side: Seriously Apple? SERIOUSLY. We don't have copy and paste? On a data intensive phone? Aimed at an audience that intends to fully use the available features of the Iphone which practically scream for Copy & Paste!? However, that's on the back burner? Alright. I just got a new engine in my car, but the rear axel is on the back burner. The tires too, they're coming, I need a new radio first.

      >> Here we agree... That is how many feel about there iPhones. And when I say many, I don't include the Lemmings (Those that just buy something cause everyone else has it, or cause they are fans of the brand)

      MMS -- This is a mixed bag. MMS is not a dying technology. It doesn't matter what you say. Does your little sister email photos? Does your mom, dad, grandmother? Probably not. The majority of phone users would use MMS over Email. Ease of use. Data Plans, etc. However, at the same time is MMS all that important? Does it have any practical uses? The only urgent use would be a business implementation, and of-course, you'd use email for business. So it's a miss and a hit. I've wanted to use MMS but I have lived without it. I've found a way around. I agree at this point it's not worth the trouble to put into the Iphone (and no, it will never be), but it's not a dying technology. And it's certainly not comparable to the life-span or operational use of Standard Floppy Drives.

      >> Wrong my friend, nothing Mixed about that bag. MMS is a basic service which is enjoyed by many cell phone users. By the way MANY stands for the rest of the world including the USA, which use MMS daily just as much as texting. Our brethren abroud use it 4 times as much as we do. So this is just as basic of a service as text messaging. It's a mute point, it should be on the phone period.

      A2DP -- Another mixed bag. This I agree apple missed on. A2DP would seem practical, not because the iphone is a smart phone but because of the fact that it's pushed as a media device aswell. The music features are great, with the 3G apple claimed exceptionally increased audio quality, etc. It's clear they are playing on the media functionality and A2DP really would help. I would love it. But it didn't stop me from buying or using my iphone happily. You can purchase an adapter online which allows you to use it. Sure it's a little bulky. But it suffices. I would never use it, but hey, it's an option. Will apple ever issue this via software? Who knows. It's technically possible. It's software stack. But accordingly, "Copy & Paste" was on the back-burner for more important features, so expecting A2DP would be dumb. If it comes, great. I tried to grab stats from the site that sells the adapter, but failed to. So I'll refrain from dropping numbers. But I'd assume they sell alot based on web chatter.

      >> It's a standards based profile. Which arose from the need to properly address media and mobile (Automobile) connectivity. It is an improvment over the standard Bluetooth profiles, which provide spoty audio. Again another standard feature which no smart phone entering the market should be without.

      Conclusion: The Iphone is an amazing device. Maybe it lacks common sense items. In comparison, it lacks alot of things. However, what it does, it does it better. It obviously has a huge fan base, and alot of end-users from teenagers to businesses. You can bicker all you want, and everyone has their own opinion. However in the end, no matter what side your fighting here, your taking the time to comment on the Iphone, so it's doing something right if it deserves your time (even to trash it). Have you used an Iphone?

      >> Knowone is fighting. They are expressing oppinions, some rational some not. But all welcome nontheless... I have an iPhone and have setup and jailbroken so many I cant even count them. But that doesn't mean I am some kind of Fanboy, it still leaves a lot to be desired. It has its pluses, but alot more minuses.

      I hate not having copy and paste. I hate no A2DP, but I love my Iphone. My Multi-touch. My apps. My jail-broken apps. The power it contains. The ease of use, or advance functionality. The smooth flow of the software (sometimes, haha). How when I want to do what a phone should do, I can. It performs many functions very well. The point is, Apple jumped into the phone market, the made a splash, which grew to a ripple, a wave and now its heading for the Louisiana with force.

      Once again, if they Iphone is so bad, why do you have one, why did you buy one? It's not cheap. It's not something you buy with the hope of an upgrade.

      >> Sure we do. When we pay this much for Technolgy your dam skippy we do expect upgrades to functionality. In fact we come to expect this of all new Technology.

      You buy it because it does something great, you like it and you want it.
      >> We dont all buy for the same reasons you do. Some of us buy technology for many reasons. Hacking (Ie Devteam and the Like), Style, Technology, and some just cause they have the money and have nothing else to do with it. The reasons go on and on....

      If you bought it or use it for any other reason and complain, you don't deserve the Iphone nor to complain.
      >> Yes, all wise one I will be a good little robot and comply. (Dude are you Steve Jobs, with an Alias on MMI?)

      Either like it, or shut up and sell it. It's not an in-between market. This isn't Windows CE. Your free to sell your criticism on AirMarket but the Iphone doesn't have room for it. How many useful contributions have the Windows CE users come up with? Let's ask WINdevTeam -- Oh wait, yeah. Seriously.

      >> Yes the iPhone is to mighty and all powerfull to have anyone speak bad about it. You know that almost sound like FANBOY talk, and I really hate that term, but I think it applies here. Its Windows Mobile by the way...

      So once again, if your complaining, whining, crying...
      The lights flash. The sirens sound.
      Do you know what that is coming from down the road and around the corner POOR DIS-SATISFIED IPHONE USER?
      Here to save the day from pointless whining,
      And excessive complaining...
      It's a WHAM-BULANCE.

      >> To funny, I have no comment, you shut me up. You must be like 12, right?

      Do you own an Iphone?
      Best Regards...
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      For all the people complaining ---once again!!!

      First I must say... BE thankful that Apple is very fast at providing updates!!! I mean seriously people have you seen how long Windows waites for their WM updates. Even then they dont always get it right.

      Second--MMS..Are you serious is that your gripe...being overseas where most of the newest cell technology is tested prior to its debut in the US market I can say we have had MMS for years and not too many people use it anymore. The e-mail technology on a phone is grrrrreat! If your friends dont have a mail brouser on their phone send them a e-mail [email protected].. they can also reply to you through mms that way. Well atleast here in Germany and when I was in Italy and England and when I went back home to Colorado on leave (t-mobile)... Just need to find out your phone# email. Second option is Swrily MMS... Im just saying....

      Yes there is bugs and things that could be included. I know Id love to see the bluetooth unleashed so I can listen to music via bluetooth and hook-up to other devices. But.... Bottom line Apple did not fail me... I knew exactly what I was getting when I sold my blackberry and HTC touch. I can say I made a great decision...

      Lastly---Thank you Apple for listening to your customers and quickly providing us with updates to fix critical errors.

      Now...I look foward to see the update (after the great pinapple is ready for JB/unlock :-)

      D
    1. TheOnlyest's Avatar
      TheOnlyest -
      Well, as for me, i'm not having any issues with my 3G... but I am enjoying the heck outta my custom theme, sounds and Cydia apps!! No way i'm upgrading to 2.1 until the Dev's release Quickpwn for it!!
      iTunes 8 scares me... i'm totally paranoid that Apple is gonna impliment something into iTunes that will somehow manipulate a jailbroken iPhone!!

      BTW Dev team... have I thanked you lately for everything you do for us?? YOU RULE!!!
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Just found this....Not too much more info but good article non-the-less...




      September 9, 2008 (Computerworld) Apple Inc. will release an iPhone update Friday that CEO Steve Jobs promised today "fixes lots of bugs," including the dropped call problem that's plagued users since July.

      User reaction was mixed on Apple's support forum, where some took a wait-and-see approach while others remained skeptical.

      Near the end of Tuesday morning's rollout of new iPods, Jobs announced iPhone v2.1's delivery date and gave a quick overview of its contents.

      "It's a big update," Jobs said. "It fixes lots of bugs. You'll get fewer call drops, you will get significantly improved battery life for most customers. We have fixed a lot of bugs where [when] you have a lot of apps on the phone, you're not gonna get some of the crashes that we've seen." He also said that iPhone 2.1 would dramatically cut the time it takes users to synchronize their phones to iTunes.

      Users have complained about all four problems Jobs mentioned, but the one that has gotten the most attention from both customers and the media is the dropped-call issue.

      Within days of the July 11 debut of the iPhone 3G, buyers began posting messages on Apple's support forums detailing weak signal strength -- even in areas supposedly covered by AT&T Inc.'s 3G network -- slow download speeds and frequently dropped calls.

      Three weeks ago, Apple released iPhone 2.0.2, an update the company said improved the phone's 3G functionality, a claim most users disputed. Since then, Apple has been hit by at least two lawsuits seeking class-action status that accuse the company of deceiving customers by claiming the iPhone reliably connected to 3G networks.

      Reaction to the news of the impending iPhone update was mixed on Apple's support forum.

      Some took Jobs' announcement at face value, and were willing to withhold judgment until they can download and install the update. "We should at least wait and see if the update lives up to his word," said a user tagged as "Ansuz82" on the iPhone support forum.

      Others, however, were still angry that Apple had not been more forthcoming about the iPhone 3G problems and were skeptical that the company would be more transparent on Friday. "Let's see if those statements or any further detail actually make it into the firmware release notes," said "DaddyK" on a different thread. "Further bug detail would be the responsible thing to do."

      A few wondered why the iPhone 2.1 update had been scheduled for Friday when a similar update, also dubbed 2.1, was available today for the iPod Touch, the iPhone look-alike. "Why do we have to wait till Friday when people can buy an iPod Touch today with 2.1 already on it?" asked "deimos256" just before the Apple event concluded. "Talk about deflated expectations, all this big update is gonna do is fix problems that never should have happened."

      Ansuz82 pitched in with a possible answer. "More than likely it's a server load issue. I remember the last big update where iTunes and the iPhone/Touch were updated. Downloads were going at a crawl. Staggering will help with that."

      The user was referring to the Version 2.0 update that Apple issued on the same day it launched iPhone 3G, when AT&T was forced to suspend in-store activations because Apple's servers had been overwhelmed.

      Apple did post a 2.1 update for iPod Touch users today. The update included patches for seven vulnerabilities, among them a fix for the DNS bug that was first disclosed in July and patched by Apple the last day of that month. Some researchers, however, maintained that Apple's July 31 fix didn't patch the vulnerability on Mac OS X clients.

      iPhone 2.1 will presumably patch the same vulnerabilities on Friday

      Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
      Well, as for me, i'm not having any issues with my 3G... but I am enjoying the heck outta my custom theme, sounds and Cydia apps!! No way i'm upgrading to 2.1 until the Dev's release Quickpwn for it!!
      iTunes 8 scares me... i'm totally paranoid that Apple is gonna impliment something into iTunes that will somehow manipulate a jailbroken iPhone!!

      BTW Dev team... have I thanked you lately for everything you do for us?? YOU RULE!!!
      You hit it right on the nail!!!

      All the Dev's...You rock!!!! No issues here! Thanks and thanks. Look foward to the comming weeks that will give us a new WINPWN for 2.1.

      I love the updates more than the bug fix's them selves in the update. The entertainment I get from all the posters on this site that cry and complain for you all Super Devs out there. While its childish and stupid of them to gripe I still find it funny.... Expecially thoes that ost """HELP I UPGRADED AND MY PHONE IS LOCKED""" haha expecially after the owners of this site remind people to WAIT... well time to go and get me a bag of popcorn and bottle of green monster for my upcomming entertainment this friday... :-)
    1. catbirdman's Avatar
      catbirdman -
      Projectile. You should probably shut up. And just stop talking. Because the entire argument is that the Iphone is worth owning. I never claimed it was the best. Etc. I'm not a fanboy even. I still own 2 other lines for business that aren't Iphones.

      BUT, I own my iphone because it's great. It's jailbroken, it does what I want.

      And my entire argument was simply that it's worth owning, which ... since I see from your profile you own one... you've managed to void your entire post and reason to argue, because if it's not worth owning, why do you own one? And if it is, then my post makes sense, because thats what it said, so shut up. Why bother to argue if I'm correct. Do you have mental problems? Do you yell at walls in your spare time?

      Also, I don't mean to use cheap jokes which are immature (such as calling you 12, agreeing with my post while trying to infer i'm wrong, and closing a comment with Best Regards) ...

      BUT... Knowone is fighting is not spelt with a K. Which, the Iphone spell checker does catch my default.

      So, before you bother to reply, and start an argument, just shut up. If the Iphone has so many minuses, then stop using it, and go on a "Windows Mobile" forum and post your opinion there. This forum is for people who love the Iphone. Your clearly not welcome. Sorry, you can't be a fanboy, this site isn't compatible with Windows Mobile :-(

      Best Regards
    1. 2004.1.8t's Avatar
      2004.1.8t -
      Quote Originally Posted by catbirdman View Post
      BUT... Knowone is fighting is not spelt with a K. Which, the Iphone spell checker does catch by default.
      Sorry, had to do it
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Hands-on article with Firmware 2.1 (on iPod Touch). Touches on things like Genius integration, better Podcast support, and more detailed list view:

      Hands-On with the iPod Touch 2.1 Update | Gadget Lab from Wired.com
    1. Miss_Mindy's Avatar
      Miss_Mindy -
      I'll believe it when I see it....the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.0.2 was suppose to fix those "bug problems"...I'm pretty sure it didn't fix anything!!
    1. tattoojack's Avatar
      tattoojack -
      Quote Originally Posted by alias_neo View Post

      But not to worry, if I want them to see it now, I carry around a REAL phone, so I pull my N95 out and MMS them with that. Problem solved.
      WHAT?
      you seriously carry an iphone AND an N95 just for frickin mms????
      what the hell?
      dude you are shot-out.
      you bag on the iphone by saying the N95 is a REAL phone, but you carry both of these huge phones?????

      and since when is the iphone a phone????

      its is an iphone!!!!
      translation=mac mini laptop that makes cellular calls.
      is that so hard to understand?

      you guys are comparing a corvette to an abrams A-1 tank.

      so your corvette (N95) does 150 mph (MMS)!!!
      my tank (iphone) can control my computer remotely over wifi, access my 1terrabyte HD over wifi remotely, iSlsk free music, safari, youtube, etc, etc, etc, etc.

      i mean damn! come on!
    1. cpjr's Avatar
      cpjr -
      Remember guys....lets all play nice. Or we'll send you to your rooms
    1. alias_neo's Avatar
      alias_neo -
      Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
      WHAT?
      you seriously carry an iphone AND an N95 just for frickin mms????
      what the hell?
      dude you are shot-out.
      you bag on the iphoneby saying the N95 is a REAL phone, but you carry both of these huge phones?????

      and since when is the iphone a phone????

      its is an iphone!!!!
      translation=mac mini laptop that makes cellular calls.
      is that so hard to understand?

      you guys are comparing a corvette to an abrams A-1 tank.

      so your corvette (N95) does 150 mph (MMS)!!!
      my tank (iphone) can control my computer remotely over wifi, access my 1terrabyte HD over wifi remotely, iSlsk free music, safari, youtube, etc, etc, etc, etc.

      i mean damn! come on!
      No, I don't carry the N95 as well as iPhone just for MMS. I carry the N95 because it does a whole lot more for me, firstly the GPS (iphone 2G, no GPS) I find the 8GB extra memory handy for storage, standard USB cable so easy to access, bluetooth so I can send files to friends and colleagues,wifi with a browser that natively supports downloading files, easily, my N95 does everything your (and my) iphone does (except mine accesses 3.5TB on my PC , remotely, by wifi), youtube is there, ok, web browser sucks (iphone wins there), and just about any other program i could possibly think of needing is available and working (without crashing) and I can just plain rely on it to work when I need on the N95. My iphone has been restored 5 times this month already. People calling me can hear themselves echoing since day 1, it often freezes forcing a reset and wasting time while it boots, half the programs i have off the AppStore don't work or crash frequently. Point is, my N95 gets the JOBS DONE, my iphone just keeps me entertained.

      If you're happy with your iphone and it does everything you want then brilliant, you're easily pleased, I'm happy someone is. But some of us settle for little else than everything.

      They day they make an N95 or N96 with the customizability of Android OS and the iphone's multitouch capability and screen size is the day the world ends. Because that would be the perfect phone. NEver going to happen. Until then, I carry the both, N95 for work, iPhone for play.

      P.S. THe 10 million nokia apps that do everything in the world don't have to be hacked into the OS either like iphone installer and Cydia that actually put out better and more reliable apps than the Apples own AppStore. Either way you cut it, iphone buyers are getting a raw deal.
    1. richtoyz's Avatar
      richtoyz -
      let's just wait until the new firmware to b released and give the DEV team ghe time they need to release the new winpwn for 2.1, OH and for all who need a jailbroken and unlocked phone, please exercise some paitence.
    1. King Chronic's Avatar
      King Chronic -
      hi i pwned 2.1 if anyone has an ipod touch plz let me know so i can give you the pwnage bundle to test thanks
    1. albior's Avatar
      albior -
      just so you know, the Japanese carrier just SMSed us to say that MMS will be available starting early December, and free inside japan... Still waiting for cut'n'paste though...

      Is there a big probability 2.1 won't be hacked? I've followed the psp hacking history and seen how well Sony ****** themselves, so I guess there's no end to hacking when the OS is no good... If only Sony had allowed us to play super mario ...
    1. Projectile's Avatar
      Projectile -
      Quote Originally Posted by catbirdman View Post
      Projectile. You should probably shut up. And just stop talking. Because the entire argument is that the Iphone is worth owning. I never claimed it was the best. Etc. I'm not a fanboy even. I still own 2 other lines for business that aren't Iphones.

      >> Read my friend, I never said its not worth owning, lots of us just don't put it on a pedestal, like you do. If your not a Fanboy, then why so hostile?

      BUT, I own my iphone because it's great. It's jailbroken, it does what I want.

      And my entire argument was simply that it's worth owning, which ... since I see from your profile you own one... you've managed to void your entire post and reason to argue, because if it's not worth owning, why do you own one? And if it is, then my post makes sense, because thats what it said, so shut up. Why bother to argue if I'm correct. Do you have mental problems? Do you yell at walls in your spare time?

      >> Because I own one is why I replied. Hello Mcfly... You don't need to know why I own one, frankly that's none of your business. The point is your not correct, you have a deflated one sided argument. I enjoy many of the features of my iPhone, but it has many issues and it's not that cats meow when it comes to cell phones my man. So chill, and stop being an Apple robot.

      Also, I don't mean to use cheap jokes which are immature (such as calling you 12, agreeing with my post while trying to infer i'm wrong, and closing a comment with Best Regards) ...

      >> Us adults can use levity in an argument and still agree or disagree. I agreed with one of your points, not all of them. Let me explain this for you... Best Regards: Implies=Means, that although I did not agree with you, I still wish you well.

      BUT... Knowone is fighting is not spelt with a K. Which, the Iphone spell checker does catch my default.

      >> Nit picky aren't we. I am sorry for making a spelling mistake. Happy?

      So, before you bother to reply, and start an argument, just shut up. If the Iphone has so many minuses, then stop using it, and go on a "Windows Mobile" forum and post your opinion there. This forum is for people who love the Iphone. Your clearly not welcome. Sorry, you can't be a fanboy, this site isn't compatible with Windows Mobile :-(

      >> Since I won't be telling you what to do with your iPhone, don't you think you should repect others and not tell them what to do with theirs...
      Besides, I am not arguing with you. We were debating, you're the one looking for arguments... But you won't find one here my friend. By the way this forum is not for people who LOVE the iPhone, it for people who have an iPhone and want to share knoledge, experiences, hacks, and software, among many of the other things MMI offers. If you want a place to LOVE your IPHONE, get a room. This place is not for iPhone Lovers.

      Best Regards
      Best Wishes....

      Quote Originally Posted by albior View Post
      just so you know, the Japanese carrier just SMSed us to say that MMS will be available starting early December, and free inside japan... Still waiting for cut'n'paste though...

      Is there a big probability 2.1 won't be hacked? I've followed the psp hacking history and seen how well Sony ****** themselves, so I guess there's no end to hacking when the OS is no good... If only Sony had allowed us to play super mario ...
      Finally MMS, that's sweet!!!
    1. ssfirme's Avatar
      ssfirme -
      hopefully this works
    1. aayman_farzand's Avatar
      aayman_farzand -
      Quote Originally Posted by King Chronic View Post
      hi i pwned 2.1 if anyone has an ipod touch plz let me know so i can give you the pwnage bundle to test thanks
      that was fast. and i cant believe noone quoted you on this yet. Too bad i dont have a touch
    1. Projectile's Avatar
      Projectile -
      Quote Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
      Help please. I upgraded last night, then when my phone was rebooting it never actually started. All I got and still have is the apple logo. I power it off and turn it back on and its just the apple logo. It wont go any further. I tried syncing it and restoring my settings and itunes says it's doing it, but my itouch still wont actually go any further than the apple boot screen. I tried leaving it on to give it time, but the itouch just stays there until it looses battery. Did this happen to anyone else or does anyone else know what I can do? Yes I had the pod jailbroken with the 2.0 software if that means anything.

      EDIT: and when I plug it in the Logo stays and i get the little loading circle right below it for maybe 5 mins then it just freezes
      Did you try DFU mode and restore??