• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Ad Banned for Misleading Viewers
    There is a lot of heat concerning the iPhone right now most recently a lawsuit being filed against Apple for false advertising and countless questions about reception issues.

    The latest installment problems comes from an Apple ad shown in the U.K. At least two people complained to the ASA (UK's Advertising Standards Authority) that the iPhone commercial was misleading because of the wording "all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone."



    The complaint on misleading advertising is centered on Java and Flash which are not supported on the iPhone but are very commonly used on webpages across the internet. When contacted by the ASA Apple's response was that the iPhone supports open web standards and they can't be expected to support third party plug-ins and technology. Apple went on further to claim that "all parts of the internet" was only in reference to internet availability and not to the functionality of individual web pages.

    Unfortunately for Apple, the ASA disagrees and the ad has been pulled from UK television. The ASA decided that the ad implies "users would be able to access all websites and see them in their entirety," and that "the ad gave a misleading impression of the internet capabilities of the iPhone."

    [via pocket-link and engadget]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Ad Banned for Misleading Viewers started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 29 Comments
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Wow.... what a mess Apple's in right now.... I wonder if all of this stuff about the iphone will quite down when things gets fixed.... and now this!
    1. RByers's Avatar
      RByers -
      now they just need to fix their ad about twice the speed half the price since half the price is bull$@#* since my bill went up 20 bucks a month. But I do love the phone just hate the false ads!
    1. kennyleeme's Avatar
      kennyleeme -
      hell yeah stupid apple
    1. hackmyfone!!'s Avatar
      hackmyfone!! -
      well java and flash are big parts of the Internet..... How are we suppose to see the moving ads without it?!?! LOL jk
    1. lsixecho's Avatar
      lsixecho -
      I believe lying is the word you are looking for, not misleading.
    1. powa's Avatar
      powa -
      I actually support Apple this time. People get jealous at something when it made success, so they try to find ways to sue all the nice companies that makes nice product. Guess what, all they want is money. Seriously, if they want to sue for money, instead go and try earn by themselves. Stop acting dumb idiot!
    1. hackmyfone!!'s Avatar
      hackmyfone!! -
      @powa understand what your talking about but from what I read this isn't about money more in the lines they just want the adds taken down.
    1. dimaggio's Avatar
      dimaggio -


      Well... I find this a bit more misleading. You can't place the icons wherever you want on the screen, although the iTunes icon is placed to the right all through the commercial.
    1. saifeeab's Avatar
      saifeeab -
      apple hit the hammer on its own foot and now slowly feeling the pain of it...way to go APPLE.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by dimaggio View Post


      Well... I find this a bit more misleading. You can't place the icons wherever you want on the screen, although the iTunes icon is placed to the right all through the commercial.
      This was in the later firmwares. When the iTunes store was released, it was as shown. Pretty clever too, having the icon being an arrow pointing to the iPod app, since that's what the store did.
    1. Eurisko's Avatar
      Eurisko -
      Apple can't be held responsible for peoples misinterpretation and inferred meaning in Ads. Heck, Ads agencies count on this to sell their product. Why isn't there a class action law suit against all companies who don't live up to their promises. Apple is an easy target because its on top; two words friends... jealousy and greed.
    1. jayson9's Avatar
      jayson9 -
      How about those mis-leading commercials over here in the US? The one were the 3G iPhone is blazing thru websites and apps.

      Appearing to be as fast (or faster) than DSL or Cable speeds? Am I the only one who have seen them??? Haven't heard anybody else mention.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      3G's fast here in England anyway,I really like the Mac vs. PC adverts but the iPod and iPhone adverts suck.

      Apple, why don't you put flash in????????????????????????????????????? Or give people the option to install it seeing as it's not your iPhone, it's MINE!!!!!!!
    1. E-Dragon's Avatar
      E-Dragon -
      They are misleading period! They have from day one... The phone does NOT give you the full internet... Com'on How may people have gotten "Safari can not load this page" or the pretty little blue Lego block where a picture was supposed to be.... Even tho they never say it is the FULL internet they most certainly do imply it and even claimed the “whole internet”... Hmm I can’t recall IE, Firefox, etc. ever telling me it is unable to download a page simply because it doesn’t support it.. The first gen phone and firmware it may of been understandable... But... Geezus!
      3G now and 2.0.2 firmware and still no full support of what 90% of the WWW is using in page construction........Point being: If you are going to make a product to surf the web, make one that will. I was getting almost this much coverage of a web page on my Motorola SLVR three years ago..............

      Way to go ASA !
      Sorry, but Apples excuse is LAME! Com’on this is like saying “ Well I know that vehicle I sold you won’t go down most streets, it will just stall, because it will only work on certain ones” “After all we can’t liable to let it take you where ever you want to go - But Hey! At least you know the streets are there”
    1. Muggz5's Avatar
      Muggz5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
      Apple can't be held responsible for peoples misinterpretation and inferred meaning in Ads. Heck, Ads agencies count on this to sell their product. Why isn't there a class action law suit against all companies who don't live up to their promises. Apple is an easy target because its on top; two words friends... jealousy and greed.

      I agree with what you are saying, but in this situation I dont think it applies. (or maybe this is what you were intending to mean) In my business I have a once a week meeting to determine our ads that we are going to run for the week. I can tell you this, in a flooded market you have to be creative and push the boundaries of ethics and truth. Its not what you say but how you say it. Apple is to blame because they are pushing the envelope with their claims. But still they got away with it while they could, they know what they were claiming, and fully intended on letting it ride until they were told not to.

      Hehehehe until I see an ad for flash capabilities, cut n paste, and full downloading/uploading capabilities Ill just let the ads sell to the folks who dont know any better....
    1. domenicp's Avatar
      domenicp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Muggz5 View Post
      Hehehehe until I see an ad for flash capabilities, cut n paste, and full downloading/uploading capabilities Ill just let the ads sell to the folks who dont know any better....
      Totally agree with what you're saying, but weren't already sold since you have an iphone.
    1. mtwiford's Avatar
      mtwiford -
      Apple cannot be responsible for different peoples interpretations of the internet. This will be thrown out in court as a technicality. They have never claimed that the phone supported flash and java in an ad. Thats like suing walmart because they claim to be a one stop shop, but they dont have macbooks. Any judge in his right mind will throw it out. I can understand the suit with the reception problem, but I think that will be more of AT&T's problem than apple.
    1. Cherrysoda_zx's Avatar
      Cherrysoda_zx -
      Quote Originally Posted by E-Dragon View Post
      Sorry, but Apples excuse is LAME! Com’on this is like saying “ Well I know that vehicle I sold you won’t go down most streets, it will just stall, because it will only work on certain ones” “After all we can’t liable to let it take you where ever you want to go - But Hey! At least you know the streets are there”
      lol
    1. arekisu's Avatar
      arekisu -
      Right at the end it says, "All the parts of the internet are on the iPhone".

      Well flash and java aren't there, so Apple is lying.
    1. TheOnlyest's Avatar
      TheOnlyest -
      Quote Originally Posted by arekisu View Post
      Right at the end it says, "All the parts of the internet are on the iPhone".

      Well flash and java aren't there, so Apple is lying.
      I agree... flash and java have become the standard for nearly every commercial website on the internet. When you tell people "the web, the way it was meant to be" they're naturally going to assume they can view all the content displayed on a web page!
      I cant remember the last site I went too that didnt have flash and/or java content running on it.

      Instead of devoting themselves to improving this "brand new" iphone to 2002 standards, they make laim BS excuses!! Its just another example of corporate america's huge failure to produce a quality product, because they're only focused on ONE THING.... their bank accounts!

      I LOVE my iphone, but this kind of arogant BS from Apple has always existed... which is why I never have, and never WILL own a Mac!!

      Just my opinion... I may be wrong.....