• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • 3g iPhone Yellow Screens = Apple Fail?
    Update: Restore via iTunes to download a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347). The colors will look much better after you restore. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is 2.0 5A345. After the restore, the colors will be close to v1 iphone colors. posted by tamakin

    Update #2: Some have posted that update #1 doesn't solve the issue, the theory is back to bad consistency between various screen manufacturers.

    After waiting in lines and going through the excitement many are reporting that their 3g iPhones have noticeably yellow screens.



    In the picture above the iPhone on the left is 3g, while the one on the right is a 1st generation model. If you remember back a year ago to the original iPhone launch there were two different screen types. One was perfect and crystal clear while the other had small but noticeable white dots. Once again Apple's quality control processes seem to be lacking leading to these disgusting yellow screens on many units.

    [via macrumors]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 3g iPhone Yellow Screens = Apple Fail? started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 164 Comments
    1. iPhoneMadness's Avatar
      iPhoneMadness -
      Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
      because there is so much "wow im so glad i didnt get the 3g today! haha lolz at all of you that did" today, i was one of those, i have a yellow screen and im happy with it.

      and no, the yellow screen definetely is not from the "sun" (lol)

      and, lol @ "every post". if you click my name, go to "find all posts by Reeko", you can see just how many posts i make are 1st gen vs 3g iphone.


      finished??



      good, now sit down.
      Well why not just ignore them? You really that hurt by random people you don't know posting that?

      And you should brush up on your reading skills; I did say "every post I've seen."

      I really wasn't trying to start a flame fest, only stating an observation.

      So yes I'm finished, with you. Enjoy your yellow 3g iPhone.

    1. Irukandji's Avatar
      Irukandji -
      I doesnt have a yellow screen....just increase the brightness in the settings and its back to normal! cmon...common sense people! :

      I was pissed when I saw my yellow screen....but putting that brightness all the way up takes care of it. Now when I compare it to my first gen...I can barley notice. has a very slight warmer tone...but barely noticable.

      Plus the real reason why Apple did this "warmer tone" is simple. Warm colors are easier on the eyes! Which is why in any car you buy,...the gauges will 99.9 % of the time be red or yellow or orange.

      You will never find blue or "cool" gauges in a car from the factory. Apple did it to cut down on eye strain. So Warmer screen tone for 3G = Win!
    1. Tomer's Avatar
      Tomer -
      i just sold my 1st gen today for 1700 sheqels (~$515) and i hope it will be fixed by the time i come back (2 weeks) cuz i really wanna buy one.. despite the fact that i NEED one haha...

      Plus the real reason why Apple did this "warmer tone" is simple. Warm colors are easier on the eyes! Which is why in any car you buy,...the gauges will 99.9 % of the time be red or yellow or orange.

      You will never find blue or "cool" gauges in a car from the factory. Apple did it to cut down on eye strain. So Warmer screen tone for 3G = Win!
      Huh.. there's something in what you are saying ;o
    1. LeeDude's Avatar
      LeeDude -
      Quote Originally Posted by Irukandji View Post
      You will never find blue or "cool" gauges in a car from the factory. Apple did it to cut down on eye strain. So Warmer screen tone for 3G = Win!

      I could be wrong.... but Ford always used to put blue and green gauges in their cars trucks, at least. My dad has had nothing but Ford Ranger's all his life.

      My Mazda Speed3 GT has red gauges that can be switched to blue gauges, with intensified colors. Same applies to the RX-8. I guess I just pick out the pretty attractive fast ones that hurt my eyes though.

      Otherwise, your point seems valid enough. I'm not one to complain about it. I'm actually sitting here right now looking at my MacBook screen, and it kinda has a yellowish tint to it. I think the 2G was just.... bright. And now that one person pointed it out, we're all just kinda scaring ourselves into think that this is a massive nightmare.
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      Quote Originally Posted by LeeDude View Post
      I could be wrong.... but Ford always used to put blue and green gauges in their cars trucks, at least. My dad has had nothing but Ford Ranger's all his life.

      My Mazda Speed3 GT has red gauges that can be switched to blue gauges, with intensified colors. Same applies to the RX-8. I guess I just pick out the pretty attractive fast ones that hurt my eyes though.

      Otherwise, your point seems valid enough. I'm not one to complain about it. I'm actually sitting here right now looking at my MacBook screen, and it kinda has a yellowish tint to it. I think the 2G was just.... bright. And now that one person pointed it out, we're all just kinda scaring ourselves into think that this is a massive nightmare.
      my take, comparatively 1st gen iphone color > 2nd gen color. every day, yellow looks like pee.
    1. LeeDude's Avatar
      LeeDude -
      It does look crappy, but did you really notice it until engadget posted it?


      Edit:

      Either way, i've got it. And aside from the pee-colored screen, i'm content with it. It does what it was advertised to do. I will wait out and see if Apple makes any response to the uproar of the yellow screen of death (Look, they're copying microsoft in a not-so-obvious manor!), and play the rest by ear. Afterall, i've got 2 weeks to play with it until I can't return it any longer. I guess i'm not super pressed on time.
    1. k2snowboards88's Avatar
      k2snowboards88 -
      I have a "yellow screen". Its not bad though. Its color balance is a little more yellow than d65. Its less yellow than the print industry's D50. Remember that with pictures, the camera decides what is white what is yellow and what is blue with color balancing. D65 is generally accepted, but plenty of people use d75 (too blue for some, but standard white point on alot of tv's and monitors, and most people leave it there)and d50 (very yellow for most but standard for the print industry). Its really not a problem if you aren't looking at them side by side. If it was pink or orange (like some defective monitors) then it would be a problem. But its in the acceptable range for monitor white point.

      ps. i dont work for apple, but I am an avid photographer and know tons about white point, white balance and color spaces. And i own both iphones. Hope that puts some concerns to bed.
    1. tamakin's Avatar
      tamakin -
      HERE IS THE FIX FOR THE YELLOW SCREEN ISSUE

      Restore via iTunes to download a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347). The colors will look much better after you restore. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is 2.0 5A345. After the restore, the colors will be close to v1 iphone colors.

      Post results.
    1. Magnum's Avatar
      Magnum -
      well im doin it right now...ill let yall know
    1. HomieG35's Avatar
      HomieG35 -
      So... is the price drop in 2 months this time? I think I'll hold out....
    1. pacmac's Avatar
      pacmac -
      that great ....hope i dont get mine yellow
    1. foodfightr's Avatar
      foodfightr -
      Quote Originally Posted by tamakin View Post
      HERE IS THE FIX FOR THE YELLOW SCREEN ISSUE

      Restore via iTunes to download a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347). The colors will look much better after you restore. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is 2.0 5A345. After the restore, the colors will be close to v1 iphone colors.

      Post results.
      Just did a restore and it did change my version from 5A345 to 5A347. However, it still has an ugly yellow color to it.
    1. bomiz96's Avatar
      bomiz96 -
      i onlysee it when its next to each other
    1. k2snowboards88's Avatar
      k2snowboards88 -
      My thoughts exactly. I noticed it when i first switched from one iphone to the other. now after using it for a few hours I dont notice it anymore. Its just calibrated to a different white point.
    1. cosmoLV's Avatar
      cosmoLV -
      Yes we can see here the New iPhone 3G is Yellow screen... yahhh
      The New 3G iPhone On Left side, Old one on Right
      ====================================

      ====================================
      And it's FAT...
      The Old One on Left Side and The New One 3G iPhone on Right
      ====================================

      ====================================
    1. waynema's Avatar
      waynema -
      Quote Originally Posted by tamakin View Post
      HERE IS THE FIX FOR THE YELLOW SCREEN ISSUE

      Restore via iTunes to download a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347). The colors will look much better after you restore. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is 2.0 5A345. After the restore, the colors will be close to v1 iphone colors.

      Post results.
      Im on 5A347 now.
      nope, no difference, screen still yellow
    1. Bleeditout2130's Avatar
      Bleeditout2130 -
      No yellow at all for me...weird.
    1. mrtonyyx's Avatar
      mrtonyyx -
      it's like that for computers as well. I think it's personally because the screens are cheap. I recall using my old old old monitor which is in fact bulky and big with speakers attached to the sides and when it first turned on it was a bit dark and yellow as well. I then turn the brightness all the way up high and it got fixed in no time. I think it's because the factory settings are low and easier for those who have a difficult time viewing things in a bright setting. Afterall you can't stare in the sun all day right [;?
    1. Jgamble317's Avatar
      Jgamble317 -
      Did anyone notice that the screen is a tad bit smaller??
      Take a really close look. The sides of face of the phone as more black. maybe it could be because the phone is a bit bigger or wider rather..but to me it looks like the screen is smaller
    1. Aiyo's Avatar
      Aiyo -
      At the guy above be, yea, its one of the first things I noticed. I also didn't notice the yellow until it was pointed out. sigh, i hope there is a fix for both of these. (fake break and replace *hint hint*)