• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 3.0 Beta 3 Seeded. New SDK Too!


    Apple is keeping up with their firmware 3.0 beta release cycle of every two weeks. This evening Apple seeded iPhone 3.0 beta 3 firmware (build 7A280f) to those registered in the iPhone Developer Program.

    Things to note:
    • Spotlight now saves last search.
    • “Applications targeting devices prior to iPhone OS 3.0 beta cannot be tested in this seed. This bug is intended to be fixed in a future seed.”
    • MMS and tethering still possible with modified carrier bundle.
    • Speed improvements.
    • Youtube works.
    • iPod icon aligned.
    • You can change the homepage you want to go to on double tap.
    • Parental controls add In-App Purchase and Location options.
    With the beta 3 firmware Apple also released a new version of the SDK with the following seed notes:
    New in Xcode IDE 3.1 and later
    • The assistant interface has been completely revamped, making it easier to create “New Project”, “New Target”, and “New File” resources. This release of Xcode also adds new assistant templates for both Mac OS X and iPhone OS applications.
    • A new Overview toolbar item lets you see and set the project’s active Target, Configuration, Executable, Architecture, and SDK with a single control.
    • It is now possible to set a global “override” SDK as the Active SDK, making it easy to test the build of your entire project against a different platform.
    • New interface shortcuts have been added to the Build Setting inspectors making it easy to set the desired compiler, architectures, and SDKs
    • You can now add Libraries and Frameworks directly into the Target window and relate them to the project’s SDK.
    • The Xcode UI now allows you to designate a library or framework as weak-linked, to support building with newer SDKs while targeting older OS versions.
    • New “Edit all in scope” option within the Xcode source editor makes it easy to update all instances of the selected symbol within the current scope of code.
    • You can now have conditional build settings assigned for any combination of architecture and SDK.
    • LLVM GCC 4.2 is a new optional compiler based on the LLVM.org open source project. LLVM GCC 4.2 provides an LLVM-based back-end optimizer using the GCC 4.2 front-end parser. This compiler is both source and binary compatible with GCC 4.2 and requires the Mac OS X 10.5 SDK or “Current OS” SDK.
    • GCC 4.2 is a new optional compiler with stricter C and C++ language enforcement, security enhancements, performance optimizations, and bug fixes over GCC 4.0. Requires the Mac OS X 10.5 SDK or “Current OS” SDK
    New in Interface Builder 3.1
    • New drag & drop functionality allows easily re-parenting objects with the normal drag gesture
    • The document outline view has been enhanced to support full drag re-ordering.
    • A new string table interface allows localizers to make quick text changes across documents.
    • Generates XIB files that are more diff friendly while retaining full backwards compatibility with Interface Builder 3.0.
    • Now supports previewing image resource content in Carbon controls.
    New in Dashcode
    • You can now use Dashcode to create web aiPhone, as well as Dashboard widgets.
    thanks Andy for the tip
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 3.0 Beta 3 Seeded. New SDK Too! started by DoerrFan View original post
    Comments 155 Comments
    1. kendo88's Avatar
      kendo88 -
      does tethering work on pc or is it only mac?
    1. Andy51081's Avatar
      Andy51081 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kendo88 View Post
      does tethering work on pc or is it only mac?
      Yes I can confirm tethering works on a pc, but only via bluetooth connection. To tether you need a mac and the SDK installed on it, but works perfectly via Bluetooth on a pc.
    1. kendo88's Avatar
      kendo88 -
      ok,if you have tethering working on a PC via bluetooth then maybe you can help me out. I have tried this on both Vista and Windows 7, but i cant get it to work. I can not get my phone to pair with my pc, on windows 7 for example, i add device, it finds the iphone, it gives a code on screen and asks to confirm its the same as the one that pops up on the iphone screen, i press pair on both PC and iphone, then my PC searches for drivers for 'bluetooth peripheral device' and cannot find any, this happens on both vista and 7, any ideas?
    1. Andy51081's Avatar
      Andy51081 -
      Are you using a dongle or built in bluetooth on your pc? You may need to install the disk that came with it if it is a dongle.

      I use a dongle, and the connect using the network service through the Bluetooth software.
    1. kendo88's Avatar
      kendo88 -
      built in bluetooth on my sony vaio
    1. gautam's Avatar
      gautam -
      ive spots left over pm me
    1. kendo88's Avatar
      kendo88 -
      ok ive tried everything, no bluetooth tethering for me.....the driver wont install for anything

      scrap that. its working =]
    1. iTouchedMyTouch's Avatar
      iTouchedMyTouch -
      I downloaded a copy for my 2G Touch, but I'm scared to upgrade in case I can't downgrade

      I'm such a noob
    1. Sk8r789456's Avatar
      Sk8r789456 -
      they patched pasting in messaging so you cant paste pics for the 2g
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      ^too bad
    1. x64Man's Avatar
      x64Man -
      Quote Originally Posted by kendo88 View Post
      ok,if you have tethering working on a PC via bluetooth then maybe you can help me out. I have tried this on both Vista and Windows 7, but i cant get it to work. I can not get my phone to pair with my pc, on windows 7 for example, i add device, it finds the iphone, it gives a code on screen and asks to confirm its the same as the one that pops up on the iphone screen, i press pair on both PC and iphone, then my PC searches for drivers for 'bluetooth peripheral device' and cannot find any, this happens on both vista and 7, any ideas?
      I have this exact same problem, did you get it working or did you give up like I think I will.
    1. kendo88's Avatar
      kendo88 -
      yes i did get it working. Remove your iphone from your bluetooth list. connect again, do the code pairing, and when it starts to install the devices it will fail on the peripheral device, ignore it. then go to connect a network, and connect to a PAN bluetooth network, select iphone as an access point and it works!! obviously you have to have tethering turned on. (Sorry im not more detailed with the steps, i did it on vista, and im currently on windows 7, so the network places are completely different!)
    1. pyranderson's Avatar
      pyranderson -
      my 3.0 dont have a place to select tethering or am i not looking hard enough
    1. x64Man's Avatar
      x64Man -
      Quote Originally Posted by kendo88 View Post
      yes i did get it working. Remove your iphone from your bluetooth list. connect again, do the code pairing, and when it starts to install the devices it will fail on the peripheral device, ignore it. then go to connect a network, and connect to a PAN bluetooth network, select iphone as an access point and it works!! obviously you have to have tethering turned on. (Sorry im not more detailed with the steps, i did it on vista, and im currently on windows 7, so the network places are completely different!)
      Thanks, I managed to get it working in Windows 7, just clicked bluetooth icon in the system tray, clicked join a personal area network and right clicked iPhone and connect to access point.
    1. emarty69's Avatar
      emarty69 -
      Hello, all. I just got a factory unlocked 3G from Italy (Part No. MB489T/A) which I would like to upgrade to the 3.0 Beta. I've been using Beta 3 on my old 3G from AT&T which of course is unlockable as of yet, and I love it!

      First, will upgrading to the Beta lock my phone to AT&T? I have a personal T-Mobile account that I'd like to start using with this new iPhone. Should I wait for the official release of 3.0?

      Second, can anyone PM me with an available dev account slot? I am willing to donate

      Thanks a bunch!

      (Sorry, that was more than a couple of questions)
    1. coloradoxmfan's Avatar
      coloradoxmfan -
      Cory:

      June is the expected timeframe for 3.0

      Quote Originally Posted by emarty69 View Post
      Hello, all. I just got a factory unlocked 3G from Italy (Part No. MB489T/A) which I would like to upgrade to the 3.0 Beta. I've been using Beta 3 on my old 3G from AT&T which of course is unlockable as of yet, and I love it!

      First, will upgrading to the Beta lock my phone to AT&T? I have a personal T-Mobile account that I'd like to start using with this new iPhone. Should I wait for the official release of 3.0?

      Second, can anyone PM me with an available dev account slot? I am willing to donate

      Thanks a bunch!

      (Sorry, that was more than a couple of questions)

      See my post in the "General iPhone Chat" about how to use 3.0 WITHOUT needing a Dev account, since you're on T-Mobile.
    1. emarty69's Avatar
      emarty69 -
      Will do. Thanks!
      Any idea if it will lock my phone? The only thing I've been able to google is someone having trouble getting a signal after trying to downgrade back to 2.2.1. No mention of locking a factory unlocked iPhone, but with no signal, that would suck even more...
      I don't plan on downgrading, but the poster of that message never mentioned if he was using a carrier other than AT&T after the upgrade.
    1. andygev35's Avatar
      andygev35 -
      If you have a factory unlocked phone, it should remain unaffected. I can't swear to it, but I have yet to hear of anyone with a factory unlock having any issues... But I am by no means an authority
    1. cory's Avatar
      cory -
      Ok all self respect is out the window now. any one out there with a free spot on a dev account? I need something to take up some time and would love to start modding again