• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Receive Video via MMS - 3.0 Delivers


    When Apple announced the 3.0 iPhone firmware, they let us all know that MMS would FINALLY be allowed.

    Until now, we weren't sure whether videos would be fair game as well in MMS - but the guys over at BGR have given it a try on 3.0, and it looks like its working great.

    Good to know.

    BGR

    thanks, sean
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Receive Video via MMS - 3.0 Delivers started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 80 Comments
    1. nrowensby's Avatar
      nrowensby -
      The phone IS NOT JAILBROKEN.... It's a little wordy and gets kinda confusing, but what I meant was that I had Swirly working before I ever upgraded. Once I upgraded, I was still able to send/recieve MMS. Look at the screenshots, I am not using Swirly anymore, I am using the default Messaging app. The method mentioned above should work regardless of whether you phone is jailbroken or not.
    1. bbackhouse's Avatar
      bbackhouse -
      Is there any reason MMS couldn't work on a 2G iPhone? Someone could create an App that could unlock this surely! If Swirly allows MMS on 2G iPhone i'm sure some clever guys can get the Apple messaging App to do MSS on the 2G iPhone. Could be pie in the sky though.
    1. smiska2's Avatar
      smiska2 -
      I for one don't have a 3G because I think it's a step down from the first gen iPhone in terms of design. I'll wait and see what June brings...
    1. nrowensby's Avatar
      nrowensby -
      Quote Originally Posted by smiska2 View Post
      I for one don't have a 3G because I think it's a step down from the first gen iPhone in terms of design. I'll wait and see what June brings...
      Yeah... and who cares about function anyway?
    1. BenzoHartt's Avatar
      BenzoHartt -
      Quote Originally Posted by nrowensby View Post
      Yeah... and who cares about function anyway?
      If its not too expensive, I'll probably be picking it up just because. My GF pretty much already knows how this works.lol
    1. jrinden's Avatar
      jrinden -
      just tried sending a mms pic with 3g 16 gb and os 3.0 beta 2 on at&t in wisconsin it didnt work for me
    1. heath_rox's Avatar
      heath_rox -
      WOW! Realy it can recive video.....

      Why are you people exited about this? My $20 sony ericson can do this. what us apple people need to understand is that we will bend over and take anything.
      When the 3g came out with the massive lack of features there should have been public uproar but instead there where people setting up chairs to by a phone with the features of a phone from 2005.
      This is like when for Oblivion, bethesda (the games maker) released horse armor for 1000 points for something that should have been free in the first place.
      Millions of people still bought it and it wasn't until 2008 that people realized : if we dont buy this crap they will A) give it for free or B) make better downloadable content.
      When the new iphone comes out if it does have anymore than an 8 mega pixel camera i wont buy it as i will be buying outdated hardware if it isn't.

      anyway this is an utterly fail topic
    1. jimbean's Avatar
      jimbean -
      i got my mms working on on o2 uk 3g 16gb, it works fine but can get video to work
    1. nrowensby's Avatar
      nrowensby -
      Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
      When the new iphone comes out if it does have anymore than an 8 mega pixel camera i wont buy it as i will be buying outdated hardware if it isn't.
      Without a flash, and 8mp sensor sized down to fit in a phone is going to produce hella-noisey photos. I have found, with the exception of Sony, any more than 2-3mp on a cellphone destroys low light picture quality beyond belief.
    1. Spyder2812's Avatar
      Spyder2812 -
      Is the 3.0 update going to have a video recorder??
    1. wisecat74's Avatar
      wisecat74 -
      Quote Originally Posted by nrowensby View Post
      The phone IS NOT JAILBROKEN.... It's a little wordy and gets kinda confusing, but what I meant was that I had Swirly working before I ever upgraded. Once I upgraded, I was still able to send/recieve MMS. Look at the screenshots, I am not using Swirly anymore, I am using the default Messaging app. The method mentioned above should work regardless of whether you phone is jailbroken or not.
      Yeah, I got the Swirly thing before upgrading. I agree that MMS should just work now since our iPhones are registered as developers. I meant, shouldn't developers be able to send and recieve MMS messages to test functionalities on the phones?

      The reality is mine doesn't work and I'm sure there are a lot of people with the same issue.

      Does anybody think calling AT&T would help?
    1. nrowensby's Avatar
      nrowensby -
      Have you tried switching your SIM to a non-iPhone and following the instructions in the thread I posted above?
    1. wisecat74's Avatar
      wisecat74 -
      No, I don't have one right now. I'll try this weekend. If that works then that means that AT&T is actually blocking MMS traffic to the iPhone based on the SIM cards.
    1. discostar's Avatar
      discostar -
      Quote Originally Posted by knowtheobscure View Post
      Supposedly MMS wont work on first gen iphones.... i really hope they come out with a new phone this year because I dont want the 3g, i need something new!
      WHAT?! WTH NOT?!!!111one!!1

      that's disappointing. I need a new phone anyway, as I only have a 4GB iPhone. But if there's going to be a new phone in 2 months, then I'll wait for the 3G to drop in price.

      AT&T want's $700 for a contract free phone. For $700 you can buy a factory unlocked one from over seas and never have to worry about upgrading and base bands and the bollocks.
    1. nrowensby's Avatar
      nrowensby -
      Quote Originally Posted by wisecat74 View Post
      No, I don't have one right now. I'll try this weekend. If that works then that means that AT&T is actually blocking MMS traffic to the iPhone based on the SIM cards.

      IDK for sure, somehow registering the other phone with MediaNet seems to remove the MMS block. I am using my same memory card I got with my Samsung Blackjack when it came out, so I don't think it has anything to do with the SIM card itself.
    1. wisecat74's Avatar
      wisecat74 -
      Right not the SIM itself but the service assigned to the card.
    1. knowtheobscure's Avatar
      knowtheobscure -
      Quote Originally Posted by wadestock View Post
      allowing video through MMS MUST pretty much guarantee that the next generation iphone WILL include the ability to capture video - it only makes sense.
      You're absolutely right.... it does only makes sense. Let's hope this video mms is foreal.

      Though there is the possibility that they can just upgrade the software and do video recording, a lot of us have it on our phones now. It wont be what it could be though, and apple only releases the best of what is possible when they are actually giving you a particular feature.

      Quote Originally Posted by discostar View Post
      WHAT?! WTH NOT?!!!111one!!1

      that's disappointing. I need a new phone anyway, as I only have a 4GB iPhone. But if there's going to be a new phone in 2 months, then I'll wait for the 3G to drop in price.

      AT&T want's $700 for a contract free phone. For $700 you can buy a factory unlocked one from over seas and never have to worry about upgrading and base bands and the bollocks.
      If they do release a new one, you should just renew your contract with at&t (assuming your with them, you probably got your original iphone before unlocking was available since you have a 4gb), that way you will have the best of the best, and it wont be so expensive.
    1. c0mpguru's Avatar
      c0mpguru -
      So with MMS, would it still count as part of the unlimited texting or the $5 texting plan? I don't really use text, but I don't want to get charged for an MMS if it's not covered by the $5 plan.
    1. aboudiiiiii's Avatar
      aboudiiiiii -
      Still doesn't work, I installed 3.0 beta 1, beta 2, and even tried the russian winpwn 3.0 beta 2, MMS still doesn't work... the message sends forever then gives an exclamation mark with message failure. What a waste...
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      mine works great! My buddy has sent me music, videos, and photos