• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Upcoming iPhone to Get Video Recording, More Mega Pixels and Multi-Core Processors


    Since the announcement of 3.0, the upcoming iPhone rumor mill is rolling faster than ever! We recently informed you about an OLED and faster internet in the upcoming iPhone and now the rumor has it that the next iPhone will support an enhanced camera with more megapixels (who say these don't matter ) and finally, video recording capabilities. The current hardware is capable of recording as well (anyone heard of Cycorder? ), but Apple is most likely improving to increase sales of future models.

    The source of this rumor is AppleInsider - and they are quite sure about the tipster who leaked this news. The video recording will be done through a Movie.app that will work similarly to the Voice Memo app announced recently. This rumor is also inline with the newly discovered publish a video feature by Engadget.

    Another rumor states Imagination, creator of the current PowerVR chips used in iPhone 3G, has announced a new multi-core GPU called PowerVR SGX543. The chip can have any number of cores ranging from two to sixteen without any significant changes in the apps, which makes it 'transparent' to the developers. They also support OpenCL - making it a really convenient update for Apple.

    For now, these all are just rumors, but it'd be great to see them come true.

    [via AppleInsider]

    P.S. The GPU upgrade could also be related to the increase in internet speeds announced before.


    Picture unrelated to story!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Upcoming iPhone to Get Video Recording, More Mega Pixels and Multi-Core Processors started by sayam View original post
    Comments 112 Comments
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
      Read my post above about how the 3rd gen iPhone has been in development for over 2 years.
      Yes they have...with hardware previous to the stuff people are talking about here.
    1. reeko's Avatar
      reeko -
      The 3g iphone wasnt starting to be developed 6 months after the 2g was released. they didnt release the 2g, wait 6 months then suddenly think - hey, lets try using the 3g data speeds?!

      thats crazy.

      im sure they where working on the 3g while the 2g was nearing completion, and im sure they have been working on the one that is going to drop in the summer before the 3g was released.

      to me, a price drop on the 3g shortly = new iphone.

      no price drop = new tablet mac / netbook.

      as a fanboy, ill only setlle for a price drop on the 3g, then an announcement for a new iphone + a netbook + a tablet.

      we can dream though cant we?
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      Yes they have...with hardware previous to the stuff people are talking about here.
      Upgraded camera with flash is possible but the idea of multi processors in a phone is just OTT. Yeh some people are asking for waaaay toooo much here. Multi processors, cmon get real as though Apple would put that in. Even if they thought about it, they'd probably upgrade the processor in the 4th gen iPhone. I think more RAM may be put in.
    1. mofolo's Avatar
      mofolo -
      ...did you say Multi-Tasking forum users?

      Cydia -> Backgrounder.

      Am i the only one here who has heard of this damn awesome Mod?
      I've had absolutely no problems with this app.
      Sure, some crashes, but nothing major.

      Battery life is drained SLIGHTLY faster, but otherwise, it's fine.

      Video Recorder: VideoRecorder3G
      "4MP" camer: ClearCam
      Multi-Tasking: Backgrounder

      Jailbreak: 2,304,302
      Apple: 0.
    1. Bluprint's Avatar
      Bluprint -
      LOL at the stans getting all hyped for this new phone. Unlike fanboys Ya have to act smarter with your money even if it is your parents money. Apple is known to have everyone upgrading that's their buisness, they'll comeout with something like no video recording just to add it as a new feature for future products. It's kinda dumb for anyone who falls for the first of anything apple comes out with.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by pizzahugger View Post
      AppleInsider | iPhone 3.0 listings show four all-new iPhone, iPod touch models

      Pretty Interesting Stuff! I wonder what July will bring!


      explain?
      There is really no explanation needed. If everything in the 3.0 firmware comes to fruition the only reason left to jailbreak (unless you want to pirate apps, which is another story) is for the themes. They are giving us MMS, copy/paste, tethering, bluetooth A2DP, etc. These features are alot of the reason many people jailbreak functionality-wise.
    1. cpjr's Avatar
      cpjr -
      ^Ahhh yes....but I would jailbreak for Themes alone
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
      ^Ahhh yes....but I would jailbreak for Themes alone
      +1 I am in it for the themeing as well. MMS, Copy/Paste, Bluetooth are all things I don't really care for. I have to have the eye candy.
    1. istorm's Avatar
      istorm -
      hope the new model adds more RAM. 128mb is nowhere enough
    1. aussiebob's Avatar
      aussiebob -
      Its a slow start to what customers want.Remember that most people with Iphones dont ,can't or are not bothered to hack the phone so the extra features that come standard like video record would be good.
      Should have an insertable battery though.
    1. MursePaolo's Avatar
      MursePaolo -
      what's the point? ATT will just render everything useless anyway, not including apple's blue-balling.
    1. andirodicandrew's Avatar
      andirodicandrew -
      iphone third generation will have only a better memory and a better camera no video recording no nothing its not in apple style we will have to wait another generation for anything else
    1. XChrisX's Avatar
      XChrisX -
      Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
      Steve Jobs did say in an interview when the 1st gen iPhone was just released that they(Apple) are working on a new iPhone(turned out to be iPhone 3G obviously) and another one after that. So basically they've been working on the 3rd gen for over two years now.
      Well there wasn't much of a hardware difference between the iPhone and iPhone 3G anyway.
      But I think when Steve said that it was more or less in reference to the people not buying the current first gen at the time because they were waiting for a second gen which is now the 3g. He went on to say that if you don't buy it now because you're waiting on what's next you'll never own anything because we're working on the next phone, and the one after that, and the one after that. Don't necessarily think that means they were literally working on it, however we do know it to be true because we now have the 3g. Just wondering if it will be at all profitable for apple to release a new phone every year. Also I remember seeing on engadget a while back where apple was getting some sort of solar power for portable screens patented or something to that effect so this could possibly be the new lg screens. Sorry for the rant but the point is that no matter when it comes a new phone will always be in the works.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Of course a new iPhone is always being worked on, no phone is ever perfect (although the iPhone comes close).
      One release a year is what i would expect to keep repeat sales and attract new users.
      I might be wrong but I would be surprised if we don't see a new release about the end of June. I'm also sure it won't contain everything on people's wish lists!
    1. gatorboy's Avatar
      gatorboy -
      To me if apple could pull out the following, it would make a CRAZY FAST, SWEET, AND A FAST SELLER phone. If they could complete my wish list i would be sold on getting one.

      More RAM (at least 256 MB but 512 would be SWEET), faster internet, multi core cpu, multi core gpu, better camera and wireless n
    1. ninthchamber99's Avatar
      ninthchamber99 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      There is really no explanation needed. If everything in the 3.0 firmware comes to fruition the only reason left to jailbreak (unless you want to pirate apps, which is another story) is for the themes. They are giving us MMS, copy/paste, tethering, bluetooth A2DP, etc. These features are alot of the reason many people jailbreak functionality-wise.
      Why are so many people saying these kind of statements about jailbreaking since the announcement of 3.0 and the rumor mill about the possible new hardware? Like most have stated, the ability to theme alone is enough to jailbreak but not to mention the hundreds, maybe thousands of really good/useful apps that apple turns down for their App Store. People love to tinker with things to tweak them in to being better that originally designed, that is one of the basic forms of human nature. The curiousity alone makes jailbreaking attractive.

      I am like thousands of 2G users on ATT right now. I am torn between getting a new 3G or waiting to see what, if any, new hardware will be released. I have been trying to get SwirlyMMS to work for days now with no luck. This feature alone is making me want to upgrade regardless if it is a 3G or this new rumored hardware. Good business by apple, sucks for the consumer especially when your wife is giving you grief for even mentioning getting a new iPhone But a guy's gotta do what he gotta do!! Hurry up June/July!!

      Edit: Not saying the guy I quoted was saying that about jailbreaking, but I have read tons of other posts in other forums saying that jailbreaking will be pointless after all the new updates are released. Just wanted to clear that up!!
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Waiting one whole year for a phone is really long in the mobile market, Nokia and Samsung etc, releases quite a lot of phones per year.

      I'm using a 2G iPhone and I'm waiting for the 3rd gen but I think all the features that Apple left out for the 2G users such as MMS, Bluetooth support and others will be made available to us by a jailbreak hack. Someone is bound to do it.
    1. reeko's Avatar
      reeko -
      Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
      Waiting one whole year for a phone is really long in the mobile market, Nokia and Samsung etc, releases quite a lot of phones per year.
      that is what is revolutionary about the iPhone - firmware updates that provide new features that, with any other manufacturer, would require a newer updated handset.

      this is exactly what warrants the high price tag of the iphone.
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      I never liked the iphone 3G because of the black and white plastic backs. Thats why i own a 1st generation. It has that Macbook Pro and Powerbook familiar aluminum feel.
    1. bdizzle's Avatar
      bdizzle -
      Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
      Why are so many people saying these kind of statements about jailbreaking since the announcement of 3.0 and the rumor mill about the possible new hardware? Like most have stated, the ability to theme alone is enough to jailbreak but not to mention the hundreds, maybe thousands of really good/useful apps that apple turns down for their App Store. People love to tinker with things to tweak them in to being better that originally designed, that is one of the basic forms of human nature. The curiousity alone makes jailbreaking attractive.

      I am like thousands of 2G users on ATT right now. I am torn between getting a new 3G or waiting to see what, if any, new hardware will be released. I have been trying to get SwirlyMMS to work for days now with no luck. This feature alone is making me want to upgrade regardless if it is a 3G or this new rumored hardware. Good business by apple, sucks for the consumer especially when your wife is giving you grief for even mentioning getting a new iPhone But a guy's gotta do what he gotta do!! Hurry up June/July!!

      Edit: Not saying the guy I quoted was saying that about jailbreaking, but I have read tons of other posts in other forums saying that jailbreaking will be pointless after all the new updates are released. Just wanted to clear that up!!
      exactly, there's plenty other useful apps given by jailbeaking still. cycoder, sbs settings, boss prefs, dtunes, having full access to the iphone directories (usb storage), openssh, mxtube, dtunes, mcleaner, intelliscreen, **** i could go on and on. none of those things apple allow. until they give me all of those things, im gonna always jailbreak my phone.