• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • [Release] Pwnage & Quickpwn 2.5.5 for OSX


    The iPhone-Dev Team released new OSX versions of pwnage and quickpwn this morning for firmware 2.2.1 compatibility. For 3G users that want to upgrade to 2.2.1 and unlock you MUST use pwnage tool and disable the baseband update to conserve your 2.28.00 baseband. For first generation users there is no baseband update so just restore in iTunes to 2.2.1 and use the new version of Quickpwn to jailbreak.

    A new version of Yellowsn0w has been uploaded for 2.2.1 compatibility as well so after you jailbreak add the source: apt9.yellowsn0w.com in Cydia and install version 0.9.7 and then reboot. This versions DOES NOT WORK WITH THE 2.2.1 BASEBAND so if you want to remain unlocked you MUST update with a custom firmware (via Pwnage Tool) that does not include the baseband update.

    For 3G users that have upgraded your baseband to 2.30.00 there is no way to unlock or downgrade your baseband so you are stuck until the Dev team can figure out how to crack the new baseband which may not be possible... no one knows yet.

    Mac PwnageTool

    MMi Member Mirror
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    http://therepository.binarytide.com/...Tool_2.2.5.dmg
    http://iphone-dev.fgv6.net/PwnageTool_2.2.5.dmg
    http://iphone.schwarzmetall.cn/PwnageTool_2.2.5.dmg
    http://rabstalk.bplaced.net/mirrors/...Tool_2.2.5.dmg
    http://jmcoon.net/PwnageTool_2.2.5.dmg
    http://downloads2.ipod.backshot.eu/PwnageTool_2.2.5.dmg
    http://www.iphone-storage.de/PwnageTool_2.2.5.dmg
    http://miphone.ca/iphone-dev/PwnageTool_2.2.5.dmg

    Mac QuickPwn

    MMi Member Mirror
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    http://therepository.binarytide.com/...kPwn_2.2.5.dmg
    http://iphone-dev.fgv6.net/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg
    http://iphone.schwarzmetall.cn/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg
    http://rabstalk.bplaced.net/mirrors/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg
    http://jmcoon.net/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg
    http://www.iphone-storage.de/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg
    http://downloads2.ipod.backshot.eu/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg
    http://miphone.ca/iphone-dev/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg

    Official Torrent Links:

    PwnageTool 2.2.5 for Mac OSX is here
    QuickPwn 2.2.5 for Mac OSX is here

    The process hasn't changed -- Same guides work just use the new firmware and new PwnageTool
    Pwnage 2.x Guide - ModMyi - Wiki
    Pwnage 2.x Guide 3G - ModMyi - Wiki


    Bootloader Files
    Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

    Firmware
    iPhone 3g 2.2.1 Firmware Download
    iPhone 2g 2.2.1 Firmware Download
    iPod Touch 1g 2.2.1 Firmware Download

    Windows Users: For 3G iPhones you will have to download and use a custom built 2.2.1 firmware with the baseband update disabled.

    Oh and if you haven't patched OSX 10.5.6 the devs posted a neat little guide:

    As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to easily restore functionality.
    1. You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - Apple Developer Connection - Mac Dev Center
    2. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
      Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices,
    3. Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
    4. nstall IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
    5. Reboot your system!
    6. Perform necessary DFU activity with QuickPwn or PwnageTool.
    7. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55
    8. Install IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.pkg from within the disk image
    9. Reboot your system!
    10. Reattach your USB peripherals.

    OR

    Simply connect through a USB Hub
    This article was originally published in forum thread: [Release] Pwnage & Quickpwn 2.5.5 for OSX started by Poseidon79 View original post
    Comments 153 Comments
    1. Nibrok's Avatar
      Nibrok -
      Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
      What you need to do is do the whole restore process over again, but this time, try restoring from backup and then jailbreaking. That should leave Cydia on there.
      I'm sorry if I sound stupid but I'm sort of new to this process. So when I open iTunes I have "update" and "restore" I have to restore first. Then when that's done I have the option to "restore from backup". I can do this but then when I go to jailbreak, there's no Cydia.
    1. jPhone12's Avatar
      jPhone12 -
      just wondering...

      who is that in that photo (original post) and what is he saying?

      i saw this photo when my phone was restoring and just was wondering about it.
    1. Bluestraw's Avatar
      Bluestraw -
      Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
      Yay! The upload finally finished. Here's the link: iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Custom_Restore.ipsw.

      As I said before, it is untested because I don't have an iPhone, but I posted the settings a couple post above this one so you can have a look and know what you're putting on your iPhone. If there are any problems with it, let me know.








      I figured there might be someone out there that would want it. If you don't want it, you can either install Terminal and delete it or ssh into your iPhone and delete it.

      Also, I uploaded it to ZumoDrive. I don't believe it limits your download speed at all, at least not that I've noticed.
      Just to confirm, I restored using your custom IPSW and all is working well. Many thanks for helping out like this.
    1. SharpieBandit's Avatar
      SharpieBandit -
      Quote Originally Posted by jPhone12 View Post
      just wondering...

      who is that in that photo (original post) and what is he saying?

      i saw this photo when my phone was restoring and just was wondering about it.
      That was an animation of Steve Jobs and he was saying "restore."
    1. MrWHOx's Avatar
      MrWHOx -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
      DFU mode is the best way...Did you set up as a new phone or from a backup?
      i set it up as a backup since i used aptbackup.

      Quote Originally Posted by Miro89 View Post
      hi, sorry for the noob question but right now i have 2.0.2 Fw so i should restore to 2.2 then restore again with custom Fw from pwnage to 2.2.1?

      and should i put my iPhone 3G into DFU mode everytime i am restoring to another FW? plz reply

      yes, miro. make sure you make the transition from 2.0.2 to 2.2 THEN update to the custom 2.2.1 firmware if you plan to use yellowsn0w anytime soon. If not, just install and jailbreak the firmware as usual.

      DFU mode makes every install clean. It gives you a fresh start. For those of us who spend a lot of time on our phones, we sometims dont put it in DFU mode, but i might consider putting it in DFU again and flashing one more time. DFU mode IS recommended for a fresh start with little complications.


      for those of you having trouble finding a 2.2.1 firmware without the baseband update, here's a link:

      Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

      MAJOR thanks to zwayne for making this for us. This one does NOT update the baseband and does NOT ask for activation.
    1. raxxal's Avatar
      raxxal -
      Folks,

      I am trying to update my iphone, but I keep getting this error, see attachment. Any idea? I tried a couple customs files, but I keep getting the same error message.

      Thanks!
    1. A Retired Mod's Avatar
      A Retired Mod -
      Quote Originally Posted by raxxal View Post
      Folks,

      I am trying to update my iphone, but I keep getting this error, see attachment. Any idea? I tried a couple customs files, but I keep getting the same error message.

      Thanks!
      You use itunes to install the custom ipsw...
    1. MrWHOx's Avatar
      MrWHOx -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
      You use itunes to install the custom ipsw...
      yup. Put your iphone in DFU mode, go into itunes, shift+click "Restore" and choose the custom firmware.
    1. raxxal's Avatar
      raxxal -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
      You use itunes to install the custom ipsw...
      Thanks for your quick reply, yes, you are right, I need to use Itunes to install it, and that is what I am doing at this moment.
    1. dnice1979's Avatar
      dnice1979 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      Anytime you go from one firmware to another you ALWAYS lose your jailbreak and ALL your apps. Your only option is to plug into iTunes and hit restore to wipe the phone out completely and then jailbreak again. You can however back up all your apps using this guide: How To Upgrade In iTunes | iPhone News, Help and Guides

      Take it SLOW because if you mess up a single step or do something out of order it won't work!

      Note: You NEVER use the "upgrade" button in iTunes on a jailbroken phone or you will lose 500MB of data due to back-up files. For example.. if you were on firmware 2.0 and jailbroke.. then upgraded to 2.0.1 > 2.0.2 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 you would have lost a total of 2GB of data that is now completely unusable. The data loss is because Cydia moves your files around to free up space. The moved files become inaccessible but stay on your disk which means you essentially just lose the space. The more apps you had installed in Cydia, the more space you lose.
      is there any way to tell if the 500mb of data has already been lost as a result of selecting upgrade instead of restore first? i've always updated my firmware on my iphone 3g but cannot remember the method i used.
    1. trialnterror's Avatar
      trialnterror -
      Does mobile installation work with 2.2.1 so I can have my cracked apps on the new firmware(2.2.1)
    1. MrWHOx's Avatar
      MrWHOx -
      yes. i have tried it and it works just like before.
    1. r.d.wilson's Avatar
      r.d.wilson -
      Well I thought things were smooth sailing but now I'm screwed until (if/when) there is a way to downgrade the baseband from 2.30.03 back to 2.28.00 as I followed the directions by" you MUST use pwnage tool and disable the baseband update to conserve your 2.28.00 baseband." The break went fine, I disabled the baseband update as stated and low and behold I have baseband 2.30.03 now. WTF??? Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone have any idea how this could be? Use with caution because if it happened to me you could be next. Now I'm eagerly awaiting to see what the development team comes up with concerning this issue.
    1. MrWHOx's Avatar
      MrWHOx -
      Quote Originally Posted by r.d.wilson View Post
      Well I thought things were smooth sailing but now I'm screwed until (if/when) there is a way to downgrade the baseband from 2.30.03 back to 2.28.00 as I followed the directions by" you MUST use pwnage tool and disable the baseband update to conserve your 2.28.00 baseband." The break went fine, I disabled the baseband update as stated and low and behold I have baseband 2.30.03 now. WTF??? Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone have any idea how this could be? Use with caution because if it happened to me you could be next. Now I'm eagerly awaiting to see what the development team comes up with concerning this issue.
      you screwed up. there's no question about that. you'd just have to wait. sorry. we have THREE links in this forum for the 3G WITHOUT the baseband update. you should have used ours.



      BTW:

      I dont know if you guys have this problem, but since i updated to 2.2.1 on my iPhone 3g, my WiFi keeps turning OFF when i reboot.

      WTF? anybody getting this problem too? i think it's the yellowsn0w.

      Also, when i try to log in to my yahoo! mail via safari (dont ask, my school blocks the mail app...), it wont keep cookies and safari tells me to log in every friggen second! you guys get this too?
    1. r.d.wilson's Avatar
      r.d.wilson -
      Quote Originally Posted by MrWHOx View Post
      you screwed up. there's no question about that. you'd just have to wait. sorry. we have THREE links in this forum for the 3G WITHOUT the baseband update. you should have used ours.



      BTW:

      I dont know if you guys have this problem, but since i updated to 2.2.1 on my iPhone 3g, my WiFi keeps turning OFF when i reboot.

      WTF? anybody getting this problem too? i think it's the yellowsn0w.

      Also, when i try to log in to my yahoo! mail via safari (dont ask, my school blocks the mail app...), it wont keep cookies and safari tells me to log in every friggen second! you guys get this too?
      Not sure how I did that since I got the 3G without baseband update from a link on this site. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the apple version was downloaded but not installed when I was doing a sync or something. I find this hard to be the case though since Pawnage did not find more than one .ipsw file when I was going through the jailbreak...
    1. raxxal's Avatar
      raxxal -
      [quote=lightmaster;3227621]darn. beat me too it. I have really crappy upload speeds, and I'm about halfway done uploading. I'll post pics of the setting I used and I'll post the link for the firmware as soon as it gets done uploading.

      If you see anything wrong with the settings, let me know.






      This firmware is not working for me. I am able to install it but I am NOT able to activate the phone in Itunes. All I can see is: ...
      I think is because of the Activate the phone being check while the file was created, am I right? I need a file with Installer and Cydia, not baseband upgrade, I have a legit contract with AT&T, but I want to be able to unlock the phone. My daughter has an eye on it, she is with T-Mobile.
      By the way, if I install another file which I assume that the Activate the phone has not been checked, then the phone works just fine.
    1. MrWHOx's Avatar
      MrWHOx -
      [quote=raxxal;3238171]
      Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
      darn. beat me too it. I have really crappy upload speeds, and I'm about halfway done uploading. I'll post pics of the setting I used and I'll post the link for the firmware as soon as it gets done uploading.

      If you see anything wrong with the settings, let me know.






      This firmware is not working for me. I am able to install it but I am NOT able to activate the phone in Itunes. All I can see is: ...
      I think is because of the Activate the phone being check while the file was created, am I right? I need a file with Installer and Cydia, not baseband upgrade, I have a legit contract with AT&T, but I want to be able to unlock the phone. My daughter has an eye on it, ans she is with T-Mobile.
      By the way, if I install another file which I assume that the Activate the phone has not been checked, then the phone works just fine.
      lmao yeah, you dont need to check "activate the phone" if you have an ATT sim since all you have to do is pop it in the sim tray and it will let you into the springboard. Then you can download yellowsn0w via cydia.

      BTW: when you are done, do me a favor and log into yahoo mail in SAFARI mobile browser. i need to know if you can stay logged in without it having to ask you to login again.... i have that problem...
    1. A Retired Mod's Avatar
      A Retired Mod -
      [quote=raxxal;3238171]
      Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
      darn. beat me too it. I have really crappy upload speeds, and I'm about halfway done uploading. I'll post pics of the setting I used and I'll post the link for the firmware as soon as it gets done uploading.

      If you see anything wrong with the settings, let me know.






      This firmware is not working for me. I am able to install it but I am NOT able to activate the phone in Itunes. All I can see is: ...
      I think is because of the Activate the phone being check while the file was created, am I right? I need a file with Installer and Cydia, not baseband upgrade, I have a legit contract with AT&T, but I want to be able to unlock the phone. My daughter has an eye on it, she is with T-Mobile.
      By the way, if I install another file which I assume that the Activate the phone has not been checked, then the phone works just fine.
      I made one for my phone which I am using now...let me know if you want to try it and I will send you a link.
    1. Cassy's Avatar
      Cassy -
      Piece of cake for me! I was able to jailbreak/unlock my 3g iPhone to 2.2.1 with pwnage 2.2.5... it's up and running with T-Mobile. I also jailbroke/unlocked my boyfriend's 2g iphone to 2.2.1 last night. It was pretty easy. Thanks Dev-Team and MMi!

      BTW, the title of this thread has a typo... it states Pwnage 2.5.5 instead of 2.2.5.
    1. MrWHOx's Avatar
      MrWHOx -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
      Piece of cake for me! I was able to jailbreak/unlock my 3g iPhone to 2.2.1 with pwnage 2.2.5... it's up and running with T-Mobile. I also jailbroke/unlocked my boyfriend's 2g iphone to 2.2.1 last night. It was pretty easy. Thanks Dev-Team and MMi!

      BTW, the title of this thread has a typo... it states Pwnage 2.5.5 instead of 2.2.5.
      lmao good catch! never thought of the title.

      as for the pwnage 2.2.5, SOME OF US DONT have a MAC. lol

      so it was hard for us windows users... sucks hard-core. but with yellowsn0w 0.9.7, you'd have to turn on wifi every time you restart. lol i hate that.

      but if i experience crappy things with 2.2 again, i'm converting.