• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Hidden Code Turns iPhone into TV Gaming Machine
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwQPNSt-CF0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature= player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwQPNSt-CF0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature= player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>


    An iPhone developer was able to find hidden code in the SDK that allows iPhone games to be played on a wide screen TV. ArsTechnica's Erica Sadun collaborated with Freeverse, makers of Moto Chaser, and experimented with the APIs. Just a few hours later, the TV version of the iPhone game was made.

    They used the iPhone's accelerometer for input and steering and routed the game's video through a video-out cable to the TV. Freeverse says that the game ran best on the second-generation iPod touch, because of its 532MHz processor.

    Freeverse says that Moto Chaser is “nearly playable” because it maxed out at around 20 frames per second. Bruce Morrison, of Freeverse , says the "norm for commercial games is 30fps, a point at which motion becomes as smooth and watchable as normal TV video." The game’s sound quality was initially lacking, but it greatly improved when pumped through some decent speakers.

    All in all the dev effort took under 3 hours!...iPhone/TV gaming on its way!

    Source: AppleInsider | Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hidden Code Turns iPhone into TV Gaming Machine started by AppleChic View original post
    Comments 56 Comments
    1. stalli_ker's Avatar
      stalli_ker -
      First
      Thaats tight! when and Where do i get it?
    1. Jgamble317's Avatar
      Jgamble317 -
      shweet!
    1. UPA_Knight1's Avatar
      UPA_Knight1 -
      That is pretty cool. Cannot wait to try it out myself
    1. Carrbone's Avatar
      Carrbone -
      This Looks Fake-

      1. Why is he pushing the gas opposite side?
      2. the gas pedal also Lights up with ur fingerprint when PUSHED. wheres that? Since its just a video out it should show everything, no?
      and most importantly...
      3. The game doesnt even start on a ROLL.. its starts at a dead stop.


      In fact theres no loading of anything related to the game,no menu, level\bike selections-

      looks like he's watching a video not actually playing.
    1. ultimatexpka's Avatar
      ultimatexpka -
      sweet im glad i just got a 40 inch lcd 1080p on black firday recently
    1. JackSchitt's Avatar
      JackSchitt -
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
      sweet im glad i just got a 40 inch lcd 1080p on black firday recently

      this wont do you any good, it wont broadcast in hidef. it will probably look like poo on that tv.
    1. catlas's Avatar
      catlas -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
      This Looks Fake-

      1. Why is he pushing the gas opposite side?
      2. the gas pedal also Lights up with ur fingerprint when PUSHED. wheres that? Since its just a video out it should show everything, no?
      and most importantly...
      3. The game doesnt even start on a ROLL.. its starts at a dead stop.


      In fact theres no loading of anything related to the game,no menu, levelbike selections-

      looks like he's watching a video not actually playing.
      I'm not saying that you're wrong - that'd be way too arrogant. But did you ever stop to consider a few things?

      1) This is a demo/experiment by the people that made the working iPhone game.

      2) When people are testing out snippets of code for games they don't want or need all the preamble of loading and intro screens.

      3) As it's an experiment which was apparently done in three hours I would think it was pretty quick and dirty - which would mean using the whole screen as the gas key and not bothering to put in any state/colour changes on press for the key.... What would be the point in spending extra time making it all pretty if the TV out doesn't work in the first place?

      Maybe none of the above is correct and it is all a hoax. But I for one would like to think that it's for real.
    1. iCity11's Avatar
      iCity11 -
      Thats Awesome
    1. billchase2's Avatar
      billchase2 -
      that would be amazing!! especially if 3rd party cables were supported...
    1. blacksti's Avatar
      blacksti -
      but.... i have no use for it.
    1. z3r01's Avatar
      z3r01 -
      two things I noticed
      1. on the screen the Gas button is on the lower left but his thumb is hitting the lower right....

      2. his steering was not synced with the bike...he turned left and it didn't do anything...a couple of time actually he tilts to the left and it just went straight....

      in my conclusion, this looks like a fake...notice I said "LOOKS" like a fake, not saying it is... but that video is convincing me other wise.....
    1. Carrbone's Avatar
      Carrbone -
      Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
      two things I noticed
      1. on the screen the Tass button is on the lower left but his thumb is hitting the lower right....

      2. his steering was not synced with the bike...he turned left and it didn't do anything...a couple of time actually he tilts to the left and it just went straight....

      in my conclusion, this looks like a fake...notice I said "LOOKS" like a fake, not saying it is... but that video is convincing me other wise.....
      Thank you.
      Exaclty my thoughts... based on the video, it quote 'Looks' fake.

      maybe its a Nyer thing or maybe we think before we just believe.



      Quote Originally Posted by catlas View Post
      want or need all the preamble of loading and intro screens.

      3) As it's an experiment which was apparently done in three hours I would think it was pretty quick and dirty - which would mean using the whole screen as the gas key and not bothering to put in any state/colour changes on press for the key.... What would be the point in spending extra time making it all pretty if the TV out doesn't work in the first place?

      Maybe none of the above is correct and it is all a hoax. But I for one would like to think that it's for real.

      I have no intentions of thinking thats true in any way.... Its A VIDEO OUT...correct?.... theres no reason the Gas key shouldnt be there and the color change from the finger showing up.
      If the developer had enought time to make the whole screen the gas button then that already confirms that this is BS... if he had enought time to 'change' the buttons and input on the game then wtf-
    1. BenzoHartt's Avatar
      BenzoHartt -
      Quote Originally Posted by AppleChic View Post



      An iPhone developer was able to find hidden code in the SDK that allows iPhone games to be played on a wide screen TV. ArsTechnica's Erica Sadun collaborated with Freeverse, makers of Moto Chaser, and experimented with the APIs. Just a few hours later, the TV version of the iPhone game was made.

      They used the iPhone's accelerometer for input and steering and routed the game's video through a video-out cable to the TV. Freeverse says that the game ran best on the second-generation iPod touch, because of its 532MHz processor.

      Freeverse says that Moto Chaser is “nearly playable” because it maxed out at around 20 frames per second. Bruce Morrison, of Freeverse , says the "norm for commercial games is 30fps, a point at which motion becomes as smooth and watchable as normal TV video." The game’s sound quality was initially lacking, but it greatly improved when pumped through some decent speakers.

      All in all the dev effort took under 3 hours!...iPhone/TV gaming on its way!

      Source: AppleInsider | Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device



      So where do i sign up!!!
    1. Carrbone's Avatar
      Carrbone -
      sign up for what?
    1. ALL DAY's Avatar
      ALL DAY -
      I would love for nothing more than the iPhone to be the controller and be able to play NES on the TV. That would be amazing!
    1. j_chrstn's Avatar
      j_chrstn -
      as the awesomeness continues
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Meh, seems kinda pointless to me...
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      This is a great find.

      What I'm after is the full iPhone output through a video cable so I can see what I'm listening to in the car on the in-dash screen. ATM it only plays videos so its really lame.

      I would like the video out to be more like the PSP and output everything not just videos.

      Is there is an plugin or whatever to do this? If so, where is it?, or do I have to wait for these devs to make it?
    1. 461am's Avatar
      461am -
      This Looks Fake-

      1. Why is he pushing the gas opposite side?
      2. the gas pedal also Lights up with ur fingerprint when PUSHED. wheres that? Since its just a video out it should show everything, no?
      and most importantly...
      3. The game doesnt even start on a ROLL.. its starts at a dead stop.


      In fact theres no loading of anything related to the game,no menu, levelbike selections-

      looks like he's watching a video not actually playing.
      Actually, here ya go.

      Quote Originally Posted by Article mentioned below View Post
      Then, Freeverse took a few shortcuts. In the demo video above, you'll notice that the program skips the main menu and goes directly into racing mode. In the normal game, the gas button is touch controlled to allow you to accelerate. In this demo, the same button is hardwired down so all you need to control is driving.
      http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ing-device.ars
    1. Slimz's Avatar
      Slimz -
      I would have a hard time believing anything Erica does in the iPhone scene would be faked. "He" has been messing with this stuff since pretty much the beginning of the iPhone.

      Considering that, I'd find it hard to believe if it really WAS fake, and the video would was released with the intention of being a hoax and knowing such, would have the gas on the wrong side, and other simple things people have pointed out.