• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone Developers Cookbook - Erica Sadun


    Erica Sadun, talented iPhone developer (author of MakeItMine, SendFile, SendPics, Light, SendSong, VoiceNotes, AppFlow, XLaunch, and a world of others...) has a new book published called The iPhone Developers Cookbook. Its a $39.99 .pdf download which has 385 pages of development knowledge (well, about 340 pages.. and some blank pages and tables of contents etc... ) that will teach you something no matter what level of development ability you're at.

    If you've been thinking about learning how to dev, or you already can but are picking up the SDK - or even if you are skilled in the iPhone but could use some extra chops, this book has got something for you. It takes you through the basic steps of creating your first iPhone app, and also goes into detail on many of the higher levels of developing.

    Erica has written for TUAW for a good while, and just recently started working with Ars Technica - a nice move. Check out the book!


    Informit.com
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone Developers Cookbook - Erica Sadun started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 57 Comments
    1. jakecigar's Avatar
      jakecigar -
      make sure you join informit (for discounts) and read the e-mail they send... you get an extra bonus saving for the first order!!

      it saves you LOTS of money!
    1. blacksti's Avatar
      blacksti -
      gonaa get it now!!!
    1. WillyDavidK's Avatar
      WillyDavidK -
      I'm surprised it didn't have a catchier name, like "How to get rich using the iPhone SDK and the AppStore!" Sounds ridiculous yes, but think about how many you see like that already.

      I hope it provides good instructions for getting acquainted with objective-c. All of Apple's tutorials and learning materials either talk only about vague programming concepts (no actual examples or coding) or assume you already know objective-c and give you blocks of code and only define one part. it's really disconcerting, and the main reason I gave up the notion of developing for the iPhone, despite already knowing basic C++.
    1. theguru's Avatar
      theguru -
      would be handy if someone could review the book i'm interested in developing for it but i have no programming skill...is this the right book for me???
    1. jibaro3's Avatar
      jibaro3 -
      How can she have time to do all this programs and make a book?
    1. SiLeNtKiLLa's Avatar
      SiLeNtKiLLa -
      Quote Originally Posted by phoenix.stu View Post
      DUDE. You suck balls!!! I mean really, think of the money you can make by using this information to help you along the way.
      I mean, I can see using that for a 200 dollar app. But for christ sake, it is a lousy 25bucks. You low grade cheap excuse for a human. And especially all she has done for this community from the very beginning. You absolutely disgust me!!
      Agreed!
    1. Wildman94's Avatar
      Wildman94 -
      Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
      would be handy if someone could review the book i'm interested in developing for it but i have no programming skill...is this the right book for me???
      This is also my case. So, can someone please tell us if this book is good for someone who doesn't even know how to program???
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      40 bucks? I think you would make more money if you sold it for, say 10? This will be a best seller... on the cracked apps sites :P

      Quote Originally Posted by Wildman94 View Post
      This is also my case. So, can someone please tell us if this book is good for someone who doesn't even know how to program???
      I am not sure, but I am guessing that NO it is not... could be wrong though (and hopefully I am)
    1. jaemiem's Avatar
      jaemiem -
      just pre-ordered not a bad price for something that looks like there is alot of information in it... cant wait for it... oh and ps i know nothing about object-c so ill see how it goes for a beginner to xcode
    1. bbplayer5's Avatar
      bbplayer5 -
      Im not a dev, but this is really effing sweet
    1. jaemiem's Avatar
      jaemiem -
      Quote Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
      Im not a dev, but this is really effing sweet
      exactly what i thought!!
    1. kchociej's Avatar
      kchociej -
      Quote Originally Posted by phoenix.stu View Post
      Edited for content...
      Get off your moral high horse and stop being a hypocrite. I find it hard, actually impossible to believe that you don't have any pirated software, music, ..etc on your computer as you read this.
    1. popmanbx's Avatar
      popmanbx -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wildman94 View Post
      This is also my case. So, can someone please tell us if this book is good for someone who doesn't even know how to program???

      I second that, I am really interested in learning programing and I don't have time to go back to school right now Can anyone recommend a good basic book so I can teach myself? If this one is not for that.
    1. phoenix.stu's Avatar
      phoenix.stu -
      Quote Originally Posted by kchociej View Post
      Get off your moral high horse and stop being a hypocrite. I find it hard, actually impossible to believe that you don't have any pirated software, music, ..etc on your computer as you read this.
      Sorry man, I hate to do it however, you are just plain illiterate. Can you not read. I specifically, said that I can see doing it if it is for a more expensive app. HOWEVER, it is a cheap buy for what you will gain and WHY NOT pay someone for all of their hard work that YOU use on your phone.
      I never once disagreed or even tried to claim that there was anything wrong with bittorrents AND yes for the record, I do have all kind of torrents on my computer however, that is not the point that I was trying to make!! Learn to read what is written in plain text right in front of you rather than what you want to see!!

      END RANT
    1. tobypu's Avatar
      tobypu -
      Quote Originally Posted by phoenix.stu View Post
      sorry man, i hate to do it however, you are just plain illiterate. Can you not read. I specifically, said that i can see doing it if it is for a more expensive app. However, it is a cheap buy for what you will gain and why not pay someone for all of their hard work that you use on your phone.
      I never once disagreed or even tried to claim that there was anything wrong with bittorrents and yes for the record, i do have all kind of torrents on my computer however, that is not the point that i was trying to make!! Learn to read what is written in plain text right in front of you rather than what you want to see!!

      End rant
      oooo burn!! J/k.
    1. ninthchamber99's Avatar
      ninthchamber99 -
      I may have missed this along the line, but is this book already released or when will it be released? I too, like thousands of others, would like to learn coding to create apps for the phone. I have little knowledge when it comes to coding but I was an engineering major in college so I have some know-how and I feel I can pick up on it fairly quickly (at least I hope I could!!). I also have another question, is it true that you must have a Mac in order to do this. I have a PC and I keep putting pressure on my wife to get me a MacBook so I can begin to create apps because I thought I read somewhere that you need an Apple computer (iMac or MacBook) in order to get the SDK, true or untrue? Thanks everyone!!
    1. kchociej's Avatar
      kchociej -
      Quote Originally Posted by phoenix.stu View Post
      Sorry man, I hate to do it however, you are just plain illiterate. Can you not read. I specifically, said that I can see doing it if it is for a more expensive app. HOWEVER, it is a cheap buy for what you will gain and WHY NOT pay someone for all of their hard work that YOU use on your phone.
      I never once disagreed or even tried to claim that there was anything wrong with bittorrents AND yes for the record, I do have all kind of torrents on my computer however, that is not the point that I was trying to make!! Learn to read what is written in plain text right in front of you rather than what you want to see!!

      END RANT
      Eeeleeiterrate? Thanks for pointing out the obvious haha!

      I understood your post, thanks for clarification though. So in other words what you're saying is you justify which material is ok to steal and what isn't. In this case your strong sense of morality tells you it's a bad thing for others to steal...as opposed to countless number of other torrents on the web which can potentially make you money.
      Great reasoning!
    1. KoozyK's Avatar
      KoozyK -
      Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
      I may have missed this along the line, but is this book already released or when will it be released? I too, like thousands of others, would like to learn coding to create apps for the phone. I have little knowledge when it comes to coding but I was an engineering major in college so I have some know-how and I feel I can pick up on it fairly quickly (at least I hope I could!!). I also have another question, is it true that you must have a Mac in order to do this. I have a PC and I keep putting pressure on my wife to get me a MacBook so I can begin to create apps because I thought I read somewhere that you need an Apple computer (iMac or MacBook) in order to get the SDK, true or untrue? Thanks everyone!!
      iphone sdk only works on a mac. i don't think there's any emulation for pc's at this time.
    1. Cloudboy's Avatar
      Cloudboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by OPTICS View Post
      achoooooooobittorrentoooooooooo *ahem*
      I am with you man. This is a pretty expensive .pdf

      phoenix.stu - kchociej is right, you don't have the authority to determine what is ok to steal, and what isn't. Therefore you do not have the authority to tell others what to download either, no matter what it is or how much money it could potentially make you.
    1. hondakorn's Avatar
      hondakorn -
      awesome! ive been looking for something like this! I have some c++ and java skills. Cant wait to read it!