• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Mobile Flash? Not good Enough, says Steve
    Jobs, in a meeting Tuesday, opened up a little about what's going on with the Flash situation.

    Apaprently, Mobile Flash just plain isn't good enough for him - too weak to really use the iPhone's power, and not enough features. Full Flash, however, is too MUCH for the iPhone.

    Basically, he'd like Adobe to create what he calls the "missing product in the middle" before he puts Flash on the iPhone.

    In other words, it may or may not be a while.

    CNN
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Mobile Flash? Not good Enough, says Steve started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
    1. pingwhen's Avatar
      pingwhen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Irishrule812 View Post
      First comment
      well that sounds awesome
      he says "first comment" but did not say there was a miss spell? did you even read it?

      In other words, it my or may not be a while.

      In other words, it may or may not be a while.

      not making fun of you p_f, but it always just looks better.
    1. bekochu's Avatar
      bekochu -
      "Full Flash, however, is too MUCH for the iPhone."

      Doesn't make any sense! WTF! Jobs! I want flash period. I'll be satisfied when you fix this damn problem.

      The phone is amazing. I would say the best phone ever but we are missing the basics ... MMS - FLASH - Video. Whats taken so freaking long. People are working hard with a limited or unofficial SDK. Truthfully, This whole unlock issue is a problem and even a bill is being passed to stop this crap. Wake up and make the phone ... the iphone an unlimited tool for creativity.
    1. robbpell's Avatar
      robbpell -
      i think we should get mobile flash till full-mobile is ready
    1. mofolo's Avatar
      mofolo -
      Yea but porting mobile flash will take valuable time and programmers away from the flash Jobs Wants!...

      I think these are all excuses so they can delay everything.
      I mean - where the hell did the SDK go? Huh? End of Feb My *****.

      Now they want to port flash.. Ha. They'll probably port mobile flash and make it to be some BIG thing when its just crappy mobile Flash.
      But then Say that so called 'BIG' thing took how many months to port.

      F***ing Apple. Always making Excuses.
    1. ipodtouch-freak's Avatar
      ipodtouch-freak -
      Quote Originally Posted by bekochu View Post
      "Full Flash, however, is too MUCH for the iPhone."

      Doesn't make any sense! WTF! Jobs! I want flash period. I'll be satisfied when you fix this damn problem.

      The phone is amazing. I would say the best phone ever but we are missing the basics ... MMS - FLASH - Video. Whats taken so freaking long. People are working hard with a limited or unofficial SDK. Truthfully, This whole unlock issue is a problem and even a bill is being passed to stop this crap. Wake up and make the phone ... the iphone an unlimited tool for creativity.
      Thats exactly what i think about flash support for the iphone/touch :/
    1. ma5t3rw1tt's Avatar
      ma5t3rw1tt -
      Leave it to Jobs to say screw you when it comes to something you want to see. This ticks me off.
    1. Eurisko's Avatar
      Eurisko -
      Since Jobs came back to Apple that has always been his mantra. He will do what he thinks is best for the customer, whether the customer agrees or not. If he doesn't think flash should be there, you're not going to get it, and that's final. He's like a kid playing king of the hill, in a megalomaniac sort of way.

      I used flash on my Treo (although only up to version 5 swf's) and I quite enjoyed it. But Steve doesn't think Flash lite provides enough enrichment for iPhone users, so we can't have it. Mommy knows best, so we should just sit down and shut up.
    1. zinjen's Avatar
      zinjen -
      what about java? I would like to utilize one of the programs i have (GoToMyPC) but it requires a java appalet to start.
    1. 02589's Avatar
      02589 -
      That guy is a jacka$$. He has more excuses than my ex-wife. As long as websites have flash, we need something to view it with. There are a lot of weaknesses due to it's size and design. Just give us the best option available and work on improving it.
    1. dale1v's Avatar
      dale1v -
      Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
      That guy is a jacka$$. He has more excuses than my ex-wife.
      LOL
    1. ~Steve Jobs~'s Avatar
      ~Steve Jobs~ -
      they better get on the ball over there....wtf
    1. Reako's Avatar
      Reako -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
      Since Jobs came back to Apple that has always been his mantra. He will do what he thinks is best for the customer, whether the customer agrees or not. If he doesn't think flash should be there, you're not going to get it, and that's final. He's like a kid playing king of the hill, in a megalomaniac sort of way.

      I used flash on my Treo (although only up to version 5 swf's) and I quite enjoyed it. But Steve doesn't think Flash lite provides enough enrichment for iPhone users, so we can't have it. Mommy knows best, so we should just sit down and shut up.
      You said it best. Man do I not miss the Treo's small screen for mobile internet browsing. Even PIE didn't make it better. Haha

      Reako
    1. manteka's Avatar
      manteka -
      although not a phone, the opera browser on the archos 5 gen devices have flash on them.
    1. xplod4202's Avatar
      xplod4202 -
      How about sticking to something simple like MMS or copy and paste or adding multiple pictures to one email. Is that simple enough for him? I wish i can meet him in a dark alley some where
    1. adrian1480's Avatar
      adrian1480 -
      ^ truth.

      We're not asking for new things and paradigm-shifting creativity...we're asking for things that have been in phones for LITERALLY YEARS.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Honest to God question, why exactly do people want flash on the iphone? None of the sites I visit use flash, and the few I do that do use flash tends to be for advertisement or annoying intros, both of which I end up blocking anyways.
    1. kcisjojo's Avatar
      kcisjojo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      Honest to God question, why exactly do people want flash on the iphone? None of the sites I visit use flash, and the few I do that do use flash tends to be for advertisement or annoying intros, both of which I end up blocking anyways.
      I would definitely be happy having flash because a couple of the sites I frequent require flash to do just about anything. I end up having to wait till I get to a computer to go on and view them.

      For the most part however the sites I go to do not require it, it would be nice but Im not dieing without it.

      After reading the article, it doesnt look like this will be coming any time soon. Doesnt look like Adobe will be working on it for the iPhone because of the tension between the companies, Apple will probably have to try to create a program themselves.
    1. screamo's Avatar
      screamo -
      Have you ever been to a little site called Myspace? Flash is what makes it. I use myspace to explore new music and...can't really explore the music when all you get is a "flash is required to view this content" message. As well as purevolume and probably quite a few more sites. I'm waiting for flash as well. Almost every online video browsing site requires flash but, i guess you haven't been to one yet. Try it at: www.youtube.com, it's not that popular yet so I don't blame peopel for not really knowing of it. It'll get big soon though don't worry.
    1. iMacMar's Avatar
      iMacMar -
      This announcement kinda reminds me of when Sony was saying that gamers don't want rumble controllers. And months later they magically have them announce the release. I think in sometime flash will be here when they found out how to port it. I think they are just being lazy
    1. imagine engine's Avatar
      imagine engine -
      When I previously contacted Adobe regarding no Flash support on the iPhone I was told that the company was willing to port Flash to the iPhone but that they were waiting on Apple to provide them with the SDK. Now it seems Apple wants to continue to control what applications their customers install on the iPhone even after they release the SDK to developers, thus locking out Adobe. There are several film studio sites that I visit that use Flash extensively to demo their work. While not every website developer uses Flash there are a lot that do. Steve Jobs should take his head out of the sand and look around at what not only his customers have been asking for since the iPhone was released but also what other all-in-one smartphone competitors are offering consumers.