• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Forces Their Hand on iPhone Trademark. We are changing domains.
    Today we received a letter from the friendly legal team of Townsend and Townsend and Crew; Apple Inc.'s legal representatives.

    I'll just give you the summary:
    • Apple owns, through its Ocean Telecom affiliate numerous U.S. and international filings for the iPhone trademark U.S. Ser. No. 77/007,808.
    • Since the services we offer here on MMi are directly related to Apple's iPhone, Apple Inc. believes that ModMyI will inevitably confuse consumers into believing we are associated with Apple Inc., therefore infringing on Apple's Trademark rights.
    • Apple is concerned that ModMyI also dilutes and tarnishes the distinctive quality of Apple's famous iPhone mark.
    • We are not allowed to use the Apple registered Apple Design Logo No. 2,715,578 that is displayed on our links to several "iPhone Topsites," which are unauthorized third party websites.
    • Apple assumes that it is not our intent to create customer confusion. they are correct we are not trying to confuse people
    • Apple asks that we abandon the use of all domain names that have iPhone in them on this website and to agree not to use ModMyI or any other mark, name, domain name, logo, tagline, slogan, or anything else that contains iPhone for goods and services related to or competitive with Apple's iPhone or dilutive to Apple's trademark rights.
    • Apple further requests that all use of its product photographs and the Apple Design Logo immediately and permanently cease.
    Because of this letter ModMyI.com will henceforth become ModMyI.com. Also the iPhone Topsites links on the left of the site will be remove since they contain the Apple Design Logo (although that is not controlled by us).

    We will remain open and continue providing users with the same free services that we currently offer.

    The current addresses to different pages on this site will remain the same except the ph will become a f. For example http://modmyi.com/forums/ will become http://modmyi.com/forums/ and so forth.

    During our move users may experience short site outages but don't worry, we are not going anywhere and hope you will continue your support of this site under it's new name, ModMyI.

    Thank you for your time and support,
    Cody Overcash, Kyle Matthews, and the rest of the ModMyI team.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Forces Their Hand on iPhone Trademark. We are changing domains. started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 228 Comments
    1. listenclose's Avatar
      listenclose -
      If the smoke settles and this site turns out to be the lone target will you consider going back?
    1. dalton voss's Avatar
      dalton voss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
      Funny how they haven't gone after iPhoneAlley.com or HacktheiPhone.com

      I guess you're worth the trouble PF.
      Yeah, take it as a compliment!
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      Quote Originally Posted by listenclose View Post
      If the smoke settles and this site turns out to be the lone target will you consider going back?
      possibly
    1. cbenz000's Avatar
      cbenz000 -
      Long Live Modmyifone
    1. sogo's Avatar
      sogo -
      Haven't complied all the way.
    1. zoidberg md's Avatar
      zoidberg md -
      Quote Originally Posted by sogo View Post
      Haven't complied all the way.
      I think you just found your Apple Mole...........

      Kidding.
    1. planbe's Avatar
      planbe -
      This seems totally reasonable. Apple owns the trademark to iPhone and I can see how some stupid people could confuse ModMyI with an Apple approved site.

      Apple is not trying to shut down ModMyI.com, they are just trying to protect their trademark. Considering they are probably not happy with info this site provides, just having to alter the name doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

      ...and this situation is nothing like the McDonald's comment above
    1. stefman's Avatar
      stefman -
      I'm speechless. I really thought you guys were affiliated to Apple
    1. skinsgamer's Avatar
      skinsgamer -
      So I guess sites like xbox360fanboy.com will are also breaking the law? What a joke. More bad rep for apple. I love the change to ifone. Its just a slap in their face. This site is going nowhere.
    1. iphonejeff's Avatar
      iphonejeff -
      Quote Originally Posted by stefman View Post
      I'm speechless. I really thought you guys were affiliated to Apple ;) :D
      are u freakin serious?!
    1. wisecat74's Avatar
      wisecat74 -
      I knew there was a reason I hate anything Apple before the iPhone, I'm starting to remember and feel that way again. They better come up with those updates that we have been waiting for or it'll be back to a Windows Smartphone for me.

      Think about it, the phone IS missing a ton of features and now Steve ***, I mean Jobs locks it even more? Come on! Jobs give us something more than an empty $600 phone, and he had the balls to call it the most advance phone on the planet, I can't even see a flash movie or record a 3 second video, or even text multiple people at the same time.

      I'm pissed at Apple!
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      Well the thing is, as much as I'm frustrated by some of the things that have occurred surrounding the iPhone since its launch, I still like the phone. Its a cool device. Anyway, back on topic...
    1. sogo's Avatar
      sogo -
      Ah, you fixed it.
    1. insanehead's Avatar
      insanehead -
      Hey folks.

      I don't want to come off as harsh but Apple HAS to do this sort of thing. It is the issue that came up with the iPod Lounge site. They had to change the name as well.

      The reason is trademark law. This bullet point is stating this fact.

      "Apple asks that we abandon the use of all domain names that have iPhone in them on this website and to agree not to use ModMyI or any other mark, name, domain name, logo, tagline, slogan, or anything else that contains iPhone for goods and services related to or competitive with Apple's iPhone or dilutive to Apple's trademark rights."

      By using the word iPhone and the imagery associated with the product to increase the value of this site, the owner of this site is diluting the value of the iPhone trademark. Not diluting as is making it worth less because that is up to the users to decide and people have shown their affinity for it. It is dilutive in that is decreases its trademark value and if that dilution continues through this site as well as others, Apple would altogether lose the iPhone trademark and anyone could use it on anything. Apple doesn't really care about the content shared on this site outside of what it holds trademark to. If they did, they would issue a full blown cease and desist order to shut down the site altogether, which as far as I know they haven't.

      I know the owners of this site are not running this site because they hate the iPhone, they actually like the product, but there is a legit legal issue here. The problem is actually with the Trademark/Copyright/Patent system in the States, not with Apple protecting its trademark.

      I hope people will just move on because this is a good resource for folks.
    1. Reeze's Avatar
      Reeze -
      That is strange considering that Apple is being Sued over iPhone name just type it in google
      Cisco Systems sues Apple over iPhone. Also can that email just been someone just wanting the name of your website. If you can go and run an ip scan over it or something and see where it came from. There are a lot of haters out there.
    1. LesAshmore's Avatar
      LesAshmore -
      Personally think you have done right thing, Back you all the way, Last thing anybody wants is it to get nasty and cost loadsamoney.
    1. walter.dithers's Avatar
      walter.dithers -
      Quote Originally Posted by geoffl1 View Post
      wow... apple is ridiculous!

      mail them a letter back that says, "F*** off!"
      Actually thats 'Phuck off', I believe.

      'Phor your inphormation Apple have gone phucking nuts.'

      Aaah, the egregious growth of the ugly human ego - a sign that major conflict is on the horizon for humans.

      Well done, modmyi, you have made it possible for many of us to run our iFones in all parts of the world.
      Keep on keeping on.
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      Quote Originally Posted by Reeze View Post
      That is strange considering that Apple is being Sued over iPhone name just type it in google
      Cisco Systems sues Apple over iPhone. Also can that email just been someone just wanting the name of your website. If you can go and run an ip scan over it or something and see where it came from. There are a lot of haters out there.
      Search Harder

      Quote Originally Posted by LesAshmore View Post
      Personally think you have done right thing, Back you all the way, Last thing anybody wants is it to get nasty and cost loadsamoney.
      Thanks for the support
    1. iPhone8G's Avatar
      iPhone8G -
      Quote Originally Posted by john_mcpherson View Post
      I, like many others, thought that this was an actual Apple website.

      I would like to suggest that Apple suing you is the least of your problems. You should be more worried about all of the users who mistook your website for an Apple website. Now I have installed all of these cool mods thinking you were Apple. I guess I will have to go back to my the old days when my iPod Touch was not nearly as cool.

      It's unfortunate that your domain name had to change. The only reason my iPod Touch is as cool as it is is because of sites like this.

      Keep up the good work!!
      You have got to be the dumbness-A-S-S I have ever seen in a human being to even say things that you say! what a moron! Get the H3ll out of here!!!

      Quote Originally Posted by wisecat74 View Post
      I knew there was a reason I hate anything Apple before the iPhone, I'm starting to remember and feel that way again. They better come up with those updates that we have been waiting for or it'll be back to a Windows Smartphone for me.

      Think about it, the phone IS missing a ton of features and now Steve ***, I mean Jobs locks it even more? Come on! Jobs give us something more than an empty $600 phone, and he had the balls to call it the most advance phone on the planet, I can't even see a flash movie or record a 3 second video, or even text multiple people at the same time.

      I'm pissed at Apple!
      The H3ll Yeah! Steve! Get with damn programs there, would you?
    1. Eurisko's Avatar
      Eurisko -
      Quote Originally Posted by insanehead View Post
      Hey folks.

      I don't want to come off as harsh but Apple HAS to do this sort of thing. It is the issue that came up with the iPod Lounge site. They had to change the name as well.

      The reason is trademark law. This bullet point is stating this fact.

      "Apple asks that we abandon the use of all domain names that have iPhone in them on this website and to agree not to use ModMyI or any other mark, name, domain name, logo, tagline, slogan, or anything else that contains iPhone for goods and services related to or competitive with Apple's iPhone or dilutive to Apple's trademark rights."

      By using the word iPhone and the imagery associated with the product to increase the value of this site, the owner of this site is diluting the value of the iPhone trademark. Not diluting as is making it worth less because that is up to the users to decide and people have shown their affinity for it. It is dilutive in that is decreases its trademark value and if that dilution continues through this site as well as others, Apple would altogether lose the iPhone trademark and anyone could use it on anything. Apple doesn't really care about the content shared on this site outside of what it holds trademark to. If they did, they would issue a full blown cease and desist order to shut down the site altogether, which as far as I know they haven't.

      I know the owners of this site are not running this site because they hate the iPhone, they actually like the product, but there is a legit legal issue here. The problem is actually with the Trademark/Copyright/Patent system in the States, not with Apple protecting its trademark.

      I hope people will just move on because this is a good resource for folks.
      My oh my, it still boggles my mind how these self-righteous twerps defend Apples' copyrights and principles with their right hand while breaking those very same copyrights and principles by modding their iPhones with their left...

      How do you look at yourselves in the mirror everyday and not see a double image?