• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone Firmware 3.1 Live for Download


    If you jailbreak we suggest you wait for a solution. If you unlock do not update yet. Especially 3G and 3GS users!
    read the above as a warning not to update. don't update. updating is not a good idea. if i were you i wouldn't update. etc.

    iPhone 3.1 features:
    • Genius recommendations for Applications (Yes, it tells you what apps YOU want)
    • iTunes 9 support
      - Genius Mixes
      - Organize your apps directly in iTunes
      - Improved syncing options for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts and photos
      - iTunes U content organization
    • Redeem iTunes Gift cards, codes and certificates in the App Store (previously only worked in the iTunes app)
    • Display iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
    • Browse and download ringtones wirelessly from the iTunes Store (for $1.29 a pop. rip off report.)
    • Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll (of course MMS has to actually be working first. Too lame)
    • Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
    • Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe (now THAT is neat)
    • Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets (about damn time Apple - stop slacking)
    • Paste phone numbers into Keypad (what took ya'll so long?)
    • Option to use Home button to turn on Accessibility features on iPhone 3GS (w00t w00t inverted screen with the touch of a button)
    • Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
    • Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
    • Fixes issue that caused some app icons to display incorrectly (and i thought the compass was youtube this whole time . . .)

    Firmware Download links (thx dhruvmalik)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone Firmware 3.1 Live for Download started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 240 Comments
    1. a042349's Avatar
      a042349 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
      I like when new firmware is released. It is fun to see the comments of the people that upgrade but then wonder about why the JB is gone. Dev's blog is just funny.

      I will be waiting and hopefully they have it up soon, if not no big deal I can wait. I also need to grab my files before doing an upgrade for the 3GS. I had them for the first 3GS but had to get it replaced for dust under the screen and never got around to capturing them for the new phone.
      Especially for this update. It's not a huge bunch of new functionality in it.

      I can't wait for all the people excited about arranging apps in iTunes while they're running Categories, Winterboard, hiding icons in SBSettings, and such, to pull their hair out.

      Oh well, we'll just wait patiently and see what is the best way to do it depending on what new functions you need or old "hacks" you can live without.
    1. ~Steve Jobs~'s Avatar
      ~Steve Jobs~ -
      Quote Originally Posted by david2082 View Post
      Does this update add the camera icon (MMS) to "messages" app or do we need to wait for an update on the 25th for that?
      i had it in my beta versions and now its gone....
    1. deadwilder's Avatar
      deadwilder -
      3.1 but no Cycorder. So frustrating. 3GS my ***.
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      Ok managed to get a friend with faster internet.

      Upgraded to 3.1
      put in a NON ATT sim card. I used my European SIM (Apple compatable) and whala MMS apeared. Enabled it and swapped the card. Yup still working. If the JS/unlock comes out before the 25th than this is a option that any one can use once you unlock the phone. Or wait until the 25th... Did I mention that tether works as well?... :-)

      DK
      For thoes that have 3gs 3.01 and want MMS AND TETHER try this it worked for me...

      After updating my iPhone to 3gs (see above). I decided to try it on my wifes iPhone.
      Only instead of updating to 3.1 I left it on 3.01 and unlocked the phone thru Cydia. Then I placed a non ATT sim in ( I used tmobile) and rebooted the phone. Now the phone has tether and mms. I then enabled the settings on both and did a sim swap back to ATT. For whatever reason the settings Stayed and now the phone has MMS.

      Hope this helps.

      D
    1. imirish02's Avatar
      imirish02 -
      Is anyone having connection problems with edge? Ever since I updated, I still have the "E" icon but it's telling me I'm not connected to the internet.
    1. tpd's Avatar
      tpd -
      Quote Originally Posted by frail1 View Post
      when you bring your own "used" phone to a carrier you do not sign a new contract. the only reason you sign up for a contract is so you can get the subsidized pricing on a new phone.
      Couldn't get a straight answer on that on the forums or from ATT so we just went with unlocking. She didn't think she needed mobile data anyway. Now that she has the phone she is reconsidering that position.
    1. frail1's Avatar
      frail1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by tpd View Post
      Couldn't get a straight answer on that on the forums or from ATT so we just went with unlocking. She didn't think she needed mobile data anyway. Now that she has the phone she is reconsidering that position.
      definitely no contract needed when you bring your own phone, of that i am 100% certain. she could even put that 2g on a pre pay plan like the at&t go phone plan.
    1. mysteryskater125's Avatar
      mysteryskater125 -
      running 3.0.1 JB 3G[S]
      Will upgrading to iTunes 9 mess up my ability to jailbreak in the future?

      most posts are of people who aren't jailbroken.
    1. Brian.Bustos's Avatar
      Brian.Bustos -
      Quote Originally Posted by mysteryskater125 View Post
      running 3.0.1 JB 3G[S]
      Will upgrading to iTunes 9 mess up my ability to jailbreak in the future?

      most posts are of people who aren't jailbroken.
      No. I've upgraded successfully with my Jailbroken 3GS and also saw this on another site

      Updating to iTunes 9 Does Not Affect Jailbreak or Unlock | Apple iPhone School
    1. jpeepers's Avatar
      jpeepers -
      Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
      How? It's a free upgrade.
      Most of the upgrades they did are to do with itunes, Geniuos suggesting apps, gift cards, browse and download ringtones etc. All More ways to spend money with Apple.

      Would rather them do something useful like make a native app that displays notifications on your lockscreen.

      .
    1. DarkoNova's Avatar
      DarkoNova -
      Quote Originally Posted by rdfisch View Post
      I have updated my iTunes to 9.0 and my un-jailbroken 3G to 3.1 without any problems. Lengthy time while it re-read my music library (large) and what seemed like the longest re-load time ever for the phone firmware, but all is OK. No issues sync'ing.
      So upgrading both iTunes and your phone with official software has no unexpected problems? Wow! What are the odds?!

      Matt
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jpeepers View Post
      Most of the upgrades they did are to do with itunes, Geniuos suggesting apps, gift cards, browse and download ringtones etc. All More ways to spend money with Apple.

      Would rather them do something useful like make a native app that displays notifications on your lockscreen.

      .
      That's the beautiful thing, they are just suggestions. Fast food places always ask if you would like to "super size" that as a suggestion but you don't HAVE to do it.
    1. mrguy's Avatar
      mrguy -
      So like most of us I'm smart enought to wait to upgrade, but what's the big fuss about this,
      will we not ever be able to jailbreak?? Unlock?? Or both??

      Apple should do something smart and buy cydia, and include all those apps into the app store,
      besides I think I use more apps from cydia than the actuall app store...
    1. jpeepers's Avatar
      jpeepers -
      Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
      That's the beautiful thing, they are just suggestions. Fast food places always ask if you would like to "super size" that as a suggestion but you don't HAVE to do it.
      My point is that there focus is on developing those things when they could be developing something more useful for the phone.


      .
    1. lovemyjesusphone's Avatar
      lovemyjesusphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by frail1 View Post
      when you bring your own "used" phone to a carrier you do not sign a new contract. the only reason you sign up for a contract is so you can get the subsidized pricing on a new phone.
      I'm not entirely sure if things aren't backward in the U.S. but generally if you are using a Telco's network to use your phone, there will be a contract involved. Even on a pre-paid plan. No company is going to give you free reign of their network.
    1. frail1's Avatar
      frail1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mrguy View Post
      So like most of us I'm smart enought to wait to upgrade, but what's the big fuss about this,
      will we not ever be able to jailbreak?? Unlock?? Or both??

      Apple should do something smart and buy cydia, and include all those apps into the app store,
      besides I think I use more apps from cydia than the actuall app store...
      well that's just not nice, "So like most of us I'm smart enought to wait to upgrade". It's not always a question of being smart. I've jailbroken every iphone, my first 2g, 3g, 3gs, but when i jailbroke my 3gs i restored it after ten minutes tops. i have zero desire to jailbreak anymore at all so i happily look forward to these updates.
    1. Periodic's Avatar
      Periodic -
      Quote Originally Posted by atekant View Post
      How do you download without upgrading?
      do you mean download apps and music or download the firmware if you mean download apps and music just ignore the update message. If you mean the firmware there should be a button that says "download only"
    1. mrguy's Avatar
      mrguy -
      Oh I'm sorry I meant for those who can't live without a jailbroken iPhone,
      no hard feelings
      lol
    1. frail1's Avatar
      frail1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lovemyjesusphone View Post
      I'm not entirely sure if things aren't backward in the U.S. but generally if you are using a Telco's network to use your phone, there will be a contract involved. Even on a pre-paid plan. No company is going to give you free reign of their network.
      the whole point of subsidized pricing on cell phones is to force you to sign up for the contract. take the 3gs for example. retail cost of the phone without new 2 year agreement $699. holy crap that's a lot of money, then they suck you in, sign up for a new contract and you can have it for $199 or whatever. remember when the 2g came out? you were not required to sign up for a contract because there was no subsidized pricing available, you went to apple and you paid full price out of pocket. i actually had my first 2g on the go phone plan from at&t for a while. and you should never have a contract with pre-paid plans, that's completely asinine. post pay = contract, pre pay = no contract. the reason you can post pay (pay for the services after they have been rendered, ie; phone service) is because you are contractually bound to pay them for it. when you pre pay there is no risk to the company because you pay for any services in advance and if you exceed what you paid for your service is cut off, therefore their is no need for the contract because they are not extending any services to you on "credit".

      Quote Originally Posted by mrguy View Post
      Oh I'm sorry I meant for those who can't live without a jailbroken iPhone,
      no hard feelings
      lol
      lol, it's okay. i'm having a long day at work and i may be getting a little crabby. i am extremely happy that i have mms again though!
    1. equlizer's Avatar
      equlizer -
      Im only wanting the update for the bluetooth voice dialing Ive had MMS since 3.0 came out (Ohhhh Canada)