• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone Firmware 3.1 Live for Download


    If you jailbreak we suggest you wait for a solution. If you unlock do not update yet. Especially 3G and 3GS users!
    read the above as a warning not to update. don't update. updating is not a good idea. if i were you i wouldn't update. etc.

    iPhone 3.1 features:
    • Genius recommendations for Applications (Yes, it tells you what apps YOU want)
    • iTunes 9 support
      - Genius Mixes
      - Organize your apps directly in iTunes
      - Improved syncing options for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts and photos
      - iTunes U content organization
    • Redeem iTunes Gift cards, codes and certificates in the App Store (previously only worked in the iTunes app)
    • Display iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
    • Browse and download ringtones wirelessly from the iTunes Store (for $1.29 a pop. rip off report.)
    • Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll (of course MMS has to actually be working first. Too lame)
    • Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
    • Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe (now THAT is neat)
    • Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets (about damn time Apple - stop slacking)
    • Paste phone numbers into Keypad (what took ya'll so long?)
    • Option to use Home button to turn on Accessibility features on iPhone 3GS (w00t w00t inverted screen with the touch of a button)
    • Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
    • Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
    • Fixes issue that caused some app icons to display incorrectly (and i thought the compass was youtube this whole time . . .)

    Firmware Download links (thx dhruvmalik)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone Firmware 3.1 Live for Download started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 240 Comments
    1. EddieLeonard's Avatar
      EddieLeonard -
      Quote Originally Posted by atekant View Post
      How do you download without upgrading?
      click restore and upgrade, let it download but unplug the iphone befor its finished downloading
    1. Flyinb's Avatar
      Flyinb -
      Nothing ipressive how about the frikin iphone you are holding...duh
    1. amini9's Avatar
      amini9 -
      I got the 2G with an AT&T sim(but not the same as the one that came with the phone) 3.0 JB.

      If i follow this:

      Jailbreak iPhone 3.1

      will i get screwed or will this jailbreak my iphone for 3.1 and i can keep using it with my non-2G at&t sim?
    1. jaxon1023's Avatar
      jaxon1023 -
      Quote Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by david2082:
      Does this update add the camera icon (MMS) to "messages" app or do we need to wait for an update on the 25th for that?



      It didn't. A co-worker updated his phone and the icon was not present.
      samething happened to me.....what gives?
    1. frail1's Avatar
      frail1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by saadlive View Post
      Anyone getting a -4 error when they try to upgrade to 3.1?
      never had that error, but there were only 2 pieces of info on it that i could find.

      if you are updating on a mac:
      “Go into Image Capture on your Mac.
      Set the preferences to No Application when a digital camera is connected
      quit image capture
      quit itunes
      open itunes
      connect iphone”

      otherwise, just keep trying and it will eventually go through... that's what they say anyway.

      sorry i couldn't be more help.
    1. notovich's Avatar
      notovich -
      Is there a fix for GPS?
    1. joncav2222's Avatar
      joncav2222 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaxon1023 View Post
      samething happened to me.....what gives?
      they said that on the 25th they will release the official update to install the mms..
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Can anyone confirm if the 3.1 update breaks the tethering on the iPhone 3GS?
    1. jaxon1023's Avatar
      jaxon1023 -
      I figured the icon would atleast show up, so i have to re update my iphone againon the 25th?
    1. ihaveabu's Avatar
      ihaveabu -
      Has anyone even tried to jb on a 3gs?
    1. notovich's Avatar
      notovich -
      hi i need to know if apple fixed GPS?
    1. NOCSUCOW's Avatar
      NOCSUCOW -
      for those who have upgraded, does internet tethering still work?
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Quote Originally Posted by NOCSUCOW View Post
      for those who have upgraded, does internet tethering still work?
      According to the comments at the bottom of the page, it doesn't still work.

      help.BenM.at – Mobileconfigs für dein iPhone | BenM.at
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Quote Originally Posted by chadgraves7814 View Post
      Is this all really worth all the hassle. I have 3.0.1 with the new carrier settings. My tethering works and my MMS works on both my 16gb Iphone 3G and my wifes 8gb Iphone 3G. So is there anything in the new software worth redoing my whole phone for?
      Honestly, the only things I want from 3.1 are the abilities to save videos from email and MMS to your library and save a copy of videos you trim instead of replacing them. But neither of these things are enough to get me to lose free tethering and my jailbreak altogether. I'm glad it was a modest update. I've got MMS working now, too, so I'm set for a long time.

      Quote Originally Posted by KingRedmer View Post
      Anyone have the AT&T 4.5 carrier file? My phone stayed at 5.0, even after a restore.
      Quote Originally Posted by imirish02 View Post
      I upgraded to 3.1 and still have the modded 5.0 Carrier settings. How can I get it to 4.5?
      Why do you want the 4.5 carrier file? 5.0 gives you MMS.
    1. finalfantasy's Avatar
      finalfantasy -
      LMAO your guys are not very smart.... 3.1 has NOTHING TO DO WITH MMS... 3.0 has MMS.... its AT&T that doesnt have MMS.... i have 3gs 3.0 with MMS cause im in canada and Rogers has MMS.... do research before you complain...
    1. a042349's Avatar
      a042349 -
      This isn't 2.x to 3.0 we're talking about here.

      There isn't anything in this upgrade of any real consequence with the possible exception of voice control over BT. But even there I have heard you still need to push the home button to initiate a voice control prompt. Duh - if I wanted to push a button on the phone, I could also hold it up to my ear and give the command. (I still haven't confirmed this functionality)

      I guess the video trimming update is nice, as is saving videos in email - but how much do you really do that?

      Even if it readies us for MMS, the dev-team will have a working JB for us by the 25th.

      I guess the better BT/Wifi interaction is a good fix for 3G users. I never had that problem and had both on all the time.

      Arranging apps in iTunes is a nice feature, but honestly how often do you need to do that? And with so many of us Jailbroken, the options there (Winterboard, Categories, 5 Row Springboard) are many and likely will not allow this feature to work properly.

      I'm not trying to be critical of anybody anxious to upgrade, just suggesting that this isn't a huge bunch of changes or improvements to get too impatient over.

      I guess for a lot of us (myself included at other times) just doing any upgrade just "feels" like we're getting something shiny and new. As always, YMMV.

      "These aren't the updates you're looking for, move along"

      :-)

      -JS
    1. se7ensmatrix1216's Avatar
      se7ensmatrix1216 -
      Any update from Redsn0w on the update for 3.1?
    1. frail1's Avatar
      frail1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy View Post
      LMAO your guys are not very smart.... 3.1 has NOTHING TO DO WITH MMS... 3.0 has MMS.... its AT&T that doesnt have MMS.... i have 3gs 3.0 with MMS cause im in canada and Rogers has MMS.... do research before you complain...
      i had 3.0 with mms working on at&t. upgraded to the 3gs and it no longer worked. updated my carrier file, still didn't work. updated to 3.1 beta, still didn't work. i tested it right before i updated to the official 3.1 release, didn't work. updated to 3.1 official release with the SAME carrier file and it works now...
    1. mawells787's Avatar
      mawells787 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      If you aren't on ATT or a factory unlocked phone they won't honor your warranty anyway.
      Why not? I am on AT&T I just keep my phone unlocks for international travel. Secondly I just restore with the 3.1 firmware as a new phone not a back up so the phone is on factory condition. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't accept warranty. As far as I know apple can't tell that your phone was JB after a restore and registering your phone as new instead of a back up.
    1. ggab's Avatar
      ggab -
      Quote Originally Posted by a042349 View Post
      This isn't 2.x to 3.0 we're talking about here.

      There isn't anything in this upgrade of any real consequence with the possible exception of voice control over BT. But even there I have heard you still need to push the home button to initiate a voice control prompt. Duh - if I wanted to push a button on the phone, I could also hold it up to my ear and give the command. (I still haven't confirmed this functionality)

      I guess the video trimming update is nice, as is saving videos in email - but how much do you really do that?

      Even if it readies us for MMS, the dev-team will have a working JB for us by the 25th.

      I guess the better BT/Wifi interaction is a good fix for 3G users. I never had that problem and had both on all the time.

      Arranging apps in iTunes is a nice feature, but honestly how often do you need to do that? And with so many of us Jailbroken, the options there (Winterboard, Categories, 5 Row Springboard) are many and likely will not allow this feature to work properly.

      I'm not trying to be critical of anybody anxious to upgrade, just suggesting that this isn't a huge bunch of changes or improvements to get too impatient over.

      I guess for a lot of us (myself included at other times) just doing any upgrade just "feels" like we're getting something shiny and new. As always, YMMV.

      "These aren't the updates you're looking for, move along"

      :-)

      -JS
      That was your first post? Really?