• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • VoiceActivator Tweak Coming to Cydia


    The developer behind a number of popular Cydia titles is getting ready to release a new voice control tweak that greatly extends native iOS functionality. Grant (@chpwn) Paul, who developed ProSwitcher with @Ryan Petrich, is previewing his upcoming VoiceActivator tweak via a YouTube video he's posted on Twitter.

    Many people who have used Voice Control on the iPhone have noticed the severe limitations of the app. If you want to do anything more than make voice or FaceTime calls, listen music or find out what time it is, Voice Control isn't going to be much help to you. What VoiceActivator does is give you a speech interface to @rpetrich's Activator, so you can use voice commands to do any action that Activator supports, like launching apps and opening webpages. In the video, @chpwn shows off how you can use VoiceActivator to take a screen shot.

    It's only been a little over a month since @chpwn asked people if they'd be interested in such an app, so the response was apparently good enough to motivate him. Much as the ProSwitcher app presaged iOS 4 multitasking, this tweak might be a preview of things to come: Apple has been hiring top voice recognition talent and may be adding functionality like this to future versions of iOS. jailbreakers, as usual, won't have to wait that long: @chpwn says he hopes VoiceActivator will be up on Cydia this week.

    Source: Twitter
    This article was originally published in forum thread: VoiceActivator Tweak Coming to Cydia started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 78 Comments
    1. Bernie-Mac's Avatar
      Bernie-Mac -
      This looks amazing. I think it'd be better if the whole voice command process wasnt so lengthy though. It seems kind of cumbersome being at one screen, holding the home button for 3 second, having another screen pop-up, that one closing and then opening up to a new screen. Maybe if the status bar came down and was blue for voice commands and then after you spoke it just went away, like with audio recording. Great tweak tho!
    1. Banks4004's Avatar
      Banks4004 -
      A blind person could still get a ton of functionality out of the iphone, thats awesome
    1. madczech's Avatar
      madczech -
      I would rather want a tweak to activate voice control with a voice command (not haveing to push the home button everytime)
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      I love the Metroid Prime music.
    1. wreclusrob's Avatar
      wreclusrob -
      Great job! Keep it up.
    1. g12007's Avatar
      g12007 -
      Now that is cool. i never use voice control but i would start after a new tweak like this
    1. Sasukekun77's Avatar
      Sasukekun77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
      I love the Metroid Prime music.
      U noticed it too Lol took me a while since I haven't played it in a while :P


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. santacruzlocal's Avatar
      santacruzlocal -
      <-- Wants it !!!

      Ohh look some news that actually applies to this website, Anyone else tired of "Wiley" and his stupid accessory stories?
    1. piston597's Avatar
      piston597 -
      Great thing here, I look forward to the day people just think and it happens but for now we have voice control. This is great though, "Pr0n" then zoom straight to Safari for some fun
    1. mukhtarh1's Avatar
      mukhtarh1 -
      Cool
    1. ihearkat's Avatar
      ihearkat -
      Will I be able to use this tweak with an iPhone 3G? I just SSH'd voice control on it.
    1. cafier's Avatar
      cafier -
      Wow, a utility that over complicates the simple gesture of poking an app to activate it by first selecting another middle-man app and then giving it orders just to accomplish what you could have done 34secs ago. Not surprised that someone would write a program like this though, i am however surprised at all you folks you are psyched about this..USELESS
    1. stfudvs's Avatar
      stfudvs -
      Bring proswitcher to 4.2.1 !

      This tweak looks awesome
    1. carlbgc's Avatar
      carlbgc -
      Quote Originally Posted by cafier View Post
      Wow, a utility that over complicates the simple gesture of poking an app to activate it by first selecting another middle-man app and then giving it orders just to accomplish what you could have done 34secs ago. Not surprised that someone would write a program like this though, i am however surprised at all you folks you are psyched about this..USELESS
      Exactly.

      I'm struggling to see why I would open cydia this way rather than just poke the cydia icon.

      The whole invoking process needs to be faster, like an activator motion for activating voice control.

      As someone said, it would be useful if we could carry out complicated tasks like adding calander events, or composing text messages.

      And is it just me, or did anyone else find the voice in the video incredibly freaky?
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
      This looks amazing. I think it'd be better if the whole voice command process wasnt so lengthy though. It seems kind of cumbersome being at one screen, holding the home button for 3 second, having another screen pop-up, that one closing and then opening up to a new screen. Maybe if the status bar came down and was blue for voice commands and then after you spoke it just went away, like with audio recording. Great tweak tho!
      Great point, I wonder if voice command could be tweaked to work with activator? A swipe of the finger then give the voice command. That would be sweet.
    1. keenpois0n's Avatar
      keenpois0n -
      very nice idea, I like I like. paid or free we ask?
      EDIT:
      watched the video and it says available in the cydia store so I think that answers my question
    1. Gustavo Saliola's Avatar
      Gustavo Saliola -
      Great tweak! Congrats!

      PD.: This guy voice in some commands made me think on "Kano wins" or "Flawless Victory".
    1. obtrunco's Avatar
      obtrunco -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post


      The developer behind a number of popular Cydia titles is getting ready to release a new voice control tweak that greatly extends native iOS functionality. Grant (@chpwn) Paul, who developed ProSwitcher with @Ryan Petrich, is previewing his upcoming VoiceActivator tweak via a YouTube video he's posted on Twitter.

      Many people who have used Voice Control on the iPhone have noticed the severe limitations of the app. If you want to do anything more than make voice or FaceTime calls, listen music or find out what time it is, Voice Control isn't going to be much help to you. What VoiceActivator does is give you a speech interface to @rpetrich's Activator, so you can use voice commands to do any action that Activator supports, like launching apps and opening webpages. In the video, @chpwn shows off how you can use VoiceActivator to take a screen shot.

      It's only been a little over a month since @chpwn asked people if they'd be interested in such an app, so the response was apparently good enough to motivate him. Much as the ProSwitcher app presaged iOS 4 multitasking, this tweak might be a preview of things to come: Apple has been hiring top voice recognition talent and may be adding functionality like this to future versions of iOS. jailbreakers, as usual, won't have to wait that long: @chpwn says he hopes VoiceActivator will be up on Cydia this week.

      Source: Twitter
      What I would like is for it to do what Nokia did all along which is you can train the phone to recognize your command for voice dial. This minimizes errors.
    1. karox's Avatar
      karox -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      Moving forward! I'm looking forward to the day when Apple releases voice to text on the iPhone! I think they would do a tremendous job with it, just like multi-tasking and copy/paste.
      There's an app called Dragon Dictation, it's a voice to text app and after it's put what you said down you can copy/paste it
    1. TreyATX's Avatar
      TreyATX -
      Quote Originally Posted by karox View Post
      There's an app called Dragon Dictation, it's a voice to text app and after it's put what you said down you can copy/paste it
      I had that for a while and it works.....just not very well. You'll spend more time correcting it than you would just texting to begin with.

      But yes, I agree. Apple needs to take true advantage of it's own equipment.