• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • TomTom kit delayed until October


    Our Austrian comrades at BenM.at reveal that the TomTom iPhone hardware kit - a suction cup mount that interfaces with the iPhone and adds functionality - has slipped to October.

    The TomTom iPhone FAQ now reads: "The TomTom car kit availability was originally planned for this summer. But we have decided to take some extra weeks in order to deliver the highest quality on this innovative product." Industry watchers will recognize the shorthand for 'this thing doesn't work yet.'



    The car kit is not necessary to use the software available on the iTunes App Store. When it is used with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, however, the kit boosts GPS signal for the iPhone. The original iPhone and the iPod touch, which do not have built-in GPS, will be able to use the hardware kit to navigate. In addition, the kit will charge the iPhone/iPod and support hands-free calling and music using your car's stereo.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: TomTom kit delayed until October started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 35 Comments
    1. Fallguy's Avatar
      Fallguy -
      That figures .
    1. zatpgw's Avatar
      zatpgw -
      Why would anyone pay $100 for a GPS program when you can buy a GPS for $100 and then not have to waste your phone's resources?
    1. carlbgc's Avatar
      carlbgc -
      ^

      *sigh*
    1. notovich's Avatar
      notovich -
      especialy that GPS doesn't work on many 3G [incl. me] (all waiting for Apple to fix it).
    1. hoits2000's Avatar
      hoits2000 -
      ... Because I like to have a "all in one device"...blah blah blah... since I have money to throw in the toilet.

      The iPhone with the TomTom add on is not an all in one device. It also proves the fact that the GPS sucks and needs to be assisted. I hate when people say they wanted an all in one device. The normal FREE google maps app has done fine for me traveling accross country and around town. I can't believe there are so many people who waste their money on a 100 app! I can't see why we are in a recession. With that many americans buying crap like this. ... Anyway, Ill be getting one. HA!
    1. rwin84's Avatar
      rwin84 -
      Bummer. I was looking forward to this mount.
    1. FURBY8704's Avatar
      FURBY8704 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hoits2000 View Post
      The iPhone with the TomTom add on is not an all in one device. It also proves the fact that the GPS sucks and needs to be assisted. I hate when people say they wanted an all in one device. The normal FREE google maps app has done fine for me traveling accross country and around town. I can't believe there are so many people who waste their money on a 100 app! I can't see why we are in a recession. With that many americans buying crap like this. ... Anyway, Ill be getting one. HA!
      ^

      ahahaha thats so true!.....our money goes back to this country just like that....its the government who f**** up our economy >_<
    1. Amraam's Avatar
      Amraam -
      Anyone know what kind of interface it will use for the hansfree/music etc? will it just be a crappy 3.5mm stereo lead?
    1. A_DuB187's Avatar
      A_DuB187 -
      October?!?! Oh well.
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      "to take some extra weeks in order to deliver the highest quality on this innovative product."

      In layman's terms: the s*** doesn't work and we currently don't know how to fix it.
    1. Blowfish64's Avatar
      Blowfish64 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
      Anyone know what kind of interface it will use for the hansfree/music etc? will it just be a crappy 3.5mm stereo lead?
      What? Would you rather have some proprietary interface that requires another purchase or something?
    1. kwickone's Avatar
      kwickone -
      I have not had any issues with GPS signal yet, and I purchased a $10-15 windshield mount already...and I have a car charger already which works with the windshield mount too. I am good to go brothas and sistas!

      Yes, I shot $100 for the App, but thank goodness I don't need to spend more on an "enhancer".
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      Still havent bought the app but I would definitely buy the mount. And word on the cost yet??
    1. Riviera's Avatar
      Riviera -
      Quote Originally Posted by FURBY8704 View Post
      its the government who f**** up our economy >_<
      Yeah ... please ask George W. Bush why he was so ignorant when he had already been warned about what was gonna happen by his political/ economic advisers.

      Oh ... Don't forget the arrogant Cheney.
    1. blkcadi's Avatar
      blkcadi -
      Looking forward to this mount because it has the GPS antennae built in it. I only hope that it will be adjustable to allow the iPhone to remain in the case. Although I use Navigon this will be a great addition.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by hoits2000 View Post
      ... Because I like to have a "all in one device"...blah blah blah... since I have money to throw in the toilet.

      The iPhone with the TomTom add on is not an all in one device. It also proves the fact that the GPS sucks and needs to be assisted. I hate when people say they wanted an all in one device. The normal FREE google maps app has done fine for me traveling accross country and around town. I can't believe there are so many people who waste their money on a 100 app! I can't see why we are in a recession. With that many americans buying crap like this. ... Anyway, Ill be getting one. HA!
      I believe the device was made more so that products like the ipod touch can have a way to receive gps signel. I have had no problems driving around the country using tomtom on my 3GS. Also, a standalone GPS unit for 100 bucks isn't going to have the features that this app has. It might be passable for you, but not so for some users. You also don't seem to know what a recession is and/or why it occurs, else you would realize that blaming the recession on people buying products like this is ludicrous.
    1. TheOnlyest's Avatar
      TheOnlyest -
      The ONLY way i'd blow $100 for this app, was if this mount was INCLUDED with it!!
    1. eatdirt1's Avatar
      eatdirt1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      Still havent bought the app but I would definitely buy the mount. And word on the cost yet??
      what theme is that,love tha photo,it looks like a place in the bahamas..
    1. kainisable's Avatar
      kainisable -
      I love hogans heroes!
    1. Rockeet's Avatar
      Rockeet -
      I have Tomtom on my iphone 3G. Coupled with a RAM windshield mount i can honestly say that it works quite well for vehicle navigation. The signal is not perfect but it will definitely get you were you need to go with out a problem. I agree $100 is a little expensive but the gps is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Maybe they just need to position there phone with a bit better line of site.