• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • More Untethered Jailbreak Vulnerabilities Found by Pod2G


    @pod2g, recent iDevice hacker (not part of the Dev-Team), has recently shed some light on more vulnerabilities he has found that will allow for untethered jailbreaking. This brings us even closer to the untethered tools we've been waiting for, as now we are 100% sure that both teams have found working exploits.

    With this news, brings a more positive outlook on what we can see for jailbreaking iOS 4.3. Aside form the ASLR security, its looking like iOS 4.3's jailbreak tool, when it becomes available, could be untethered right from the start. Fingers crossed.

    Keep in mind that this is only vulnerabilities that have been found, and that there will still be some additional work required before they can be put to use by either team.

    Until then, things are looking very positive.

    Source: Twitter / pod2g: Hey, another untethered vu ...
    This article was originally published in forum thread: More Untethered Jailbreak Vulnerabilities Found by Pod2G started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 117 Comments
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      No, you are a cynic.

      ----------

      I see this site has regressed back into the whining phase once again. It's a shame.

      ----------

      Confucious - I was wondering where you've been... I understand why you left. It's a shame you did.

      Some of you make it seem like tethered iDevices must be rejailbroken on an hourly basis. This is surely not the case. THe ONLY times I've ever had to kick my phone or ipad out of recovery mode were when rebooting due to installing a new app in Cydia, or when it crashed due to my decision to test out BETA versions of apps/tweaks. Whenever I stay away from betas and I don't install certain new apps in Cydia, I can go weeks without having to rerun the jailbreak. Hell, if it's that big of a deal, go buy a cheap used 2G or 3G to keep in your bag as a backup.
      Yes, I am a cynic as well, hope the username didn't confuse you too much...


      You're no better yourself either!

      The problem that all you "tethered is ok" people have is simple: You're incapable of understanding needs that are outside your own small world of portrayed perfection.

      I travel, and despite the improvements in iPhone tower switching since iPhone 1, I still have to restart the phone almost every time I cross a state line. No, I do not go back and forth, as most people who are going to say "I cross a state line to go to work" do.

      I am in PA today, MA tomorrow...
      After that, TX, WI, IL, FL, and all the states in between. The phone gets confused and needs a reset after jumping networks so much.

      Also, my work must go on, I do not have the luxury of sitting at a desk to do my job all the time. More often than not, I am on the phone all day. A problem that causes me to have to miss calls could lose me customers, it's not just about comfort, it's about profit!
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      Yes, I am a cynic as well, hope the username didn't confuse you too much...


      You're no better yourself either!

      The problem that all you "tethered is ok" people have is simple: You're incapable of understanding needs that are outside your own small world of portrayed perfection.

      I travel, and despite the improvements in iPhone tower switching since iPhone 1, I still have to restart the phone almost every time I cross a state line. No, I do not go back and forth, as most people who are going to say "I cross a state line to go to work" do.

      I am in PA today, MA tomorrow...
      After that, TX, WI, IL, FL, and all the states in between. The phone gets confused and needs a reset after jumping networks so much.

      Also, my work must go on, I do not have the luxury of sitting at a desk to do my job all the time. More often than not, I am on the phone all day. A problem that causes me to have to miss calls could lose me customers, it's not just about comfort, it's about profit!

      Couple things wrong with that buddy, actually just one...


      Who puts a tethered jailbreak on there work phone lol
      If it's about profit then a jailbreak( especially being tethered) is not worth the time and customers.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      Yes, I am a cynic as well, hope the username didn't confuse you too much...


      You're no better yourself either!

      The problem that all you "tethered is ok" people have is simple: You're incapable of understanding needs that are outside your own small world of portrayed perfection.

      I travel, and despite the improvements in iPhone tower switching since iPhone 1, I still have to restart the phone almost every time I cross a state line. No, I do not go back and forth, as most people who are going to say "I cross a state line to go to work" do.

      I am in PA today, MA tomorrow...
      After that, TX, WI, IL, FL, and all the states in between. The phone gets confused and needs a reset after jumping networks so much.

      Also, my work must go on, I do not have the luxury of sitting at a desk to do my job all the time. More often than not, I am on the phone all day. A problem that causes me to have to miss calls could lose me customers, it's not just about comfort, it's about profit!
      Again, you make it seem like running the tethered jb takes an hour and requires 3 assistants.

      Seeing as you are traveling so much for business, it would be safe to assume you have a laptop with you pretty much the entire time you're traveling, no?

      Turning off both 3G and Edge networks via SBSettings is also a way to fix the tower issue.

      -----

      Also, you can't be a cynic and a realist.
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      Again, you make it seem like running the tethered jb takes an hour and requires 3 assistants.

      Seeing as you are traveling so much for business, it would be safe to assume you have a laptop with you pretty much the entire time you're traveling, no?

      Turning off both 3G and Edge networks via SBSettings is also a way to fix the tower issue.

      -----

      Also, you can't be a cynic and a realist.
      Just because I have a laptop with me, does not mean I can pull it out on-site at a whim.

      Airplane mode also resets it... Until the next time you cross a state line. To clear the confusion and be good for a while, without dropping calls at the lines, you have to restart the phone.

      Yes I am a cynical realist:
      A realist is someone who accepts reality for what it is..
      A cynic is someone who is distrustful of people and "establishments."

      How do those two NOT go together in the world we live in today? You actually take people on their word? People you've never met? People in government?!?

      If you answered yes to all three, then you're a quack! Our race is destroying itself with all the lies they spread. ESPECIALLY the governments!

      You forget which side of this argument I am really on. I will NOT "upgrade" to a tethered jailbreak, as it reduces functionality, BUT, I am also not wingin about it either. I do not need the latest Fluff-Ware to be happy, and 4.1 is working beautifully for me. I don't give a rats rear about air-print, and don't complain about the wait for an untethered JB.

      For God's sake... READ the posts before you try to jump into an argument.

      Same goes for this one:
      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      Couple things wrong with that buddy, actually just one...


      Who puts a tethered jailbreak on there work phone lol
      If it's about profit then a jailbreak( especially being tethered) is not worth the time and customers.
      Read what I say, then respond, otherwise you just look like an idiot. I don't intend to put a tethered jailbreak on my phone, never did, never will.

      My phone is plenty reliable enough with an untethered JB for work, and the tweaks save me time.

      I was only agreeing with DRFP on the impracticality of a tethered jailbreak. I did not switch sides here. Go back, read the thread, and sod off. I still think he's bonkers to think he has a vote with the dev-team.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      A realist views things for what they really are.

      A cynic views things with with a prejudiced opinion from the start.

      The two can not coexist.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      Just because I have a laptop with me, does not mean I can pull it out on-site at a whim.

      Airplane mode also resets it... Until the next time you cross a state line. To clear the confusion and be good for a while, without dropping calls at the lines, you have to restart the phone.

      Yes I am a cynical realist:
      A realist is someone who accepts reality for what it is..
      A cynic is someone who is distrustful of people and "establishments."

      How do those two NOT go together in the world we live in today? You actually take people on their word? People you've never met? People in government?!?

      If you answered yes to all three, then you're a quack! Our race is destroying itself with all the lies they spread. ESPECIALLY the governments!

      You forget which side of this argument I am really on. I will NOT "upgrade" to a tethered jailbreak, as it reduces functionality, BUT, I am also not wingin about it either. I do not need the latest Fluff-Ware to be happy, and 4.1 is working beautifully for me. I don't give a rats rear about air-print, and don't complain about the wait for an untethered JB.

      For God's sake... READ the posts before you try to jump into an argument.

      Same goes for this one:


      Read what I say, then respond, otherwise you just look like an idiot. I don't intend to put a tethered jailbreak on my phone, never did, never will.

      My phone is plenty reliable enough with an untethered JB for work, and the tweaks save me time.

      I was only agreeing with DRFP on the impracticality of a tethered jailbreak. I did not switch sides here. Go back, read the thread, and sod off. I still think he's bonkers to think he has a vote with the dev-team.
      Agreed apology accepted.
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      A realist views things for what they really are.

      A cynic views things with with a prejudiced opinion from the start.

      The two can not coexist.
      Go read a dictionary some time.

      Quote Originally Posted by Meriam-Webster View Post
      Main Entry: cyn·ic
      Pronunciation: \ˈsi-nik\
      Function: noun
      Etymology: Middle French or Latin, Middle French cynique, from Latin cynicus, from Greek kynikos, literally, like a dog, from kyn-, kyōn dog — more at hound
      Date: 1542

      1 capitalized : an adherent of an ancient Greek school of philosophers who held the view that virtue is the only good and that its essence lies in self-control and independence
      2 : a faultfinding captious critic; especially : one who believes that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest
      — cynic adjective
      Quote Originally Posted by Meriam-Webster View Post
      Main Entry: re·al·ism
      Pronunciation: \ˈrē-ə-ˌli-zəm\
      Function: noun
      Date: 1817

      1 : concern for fact or reality and rejection of the impractical and visionary
      Again, how does that view NOT match today's society? There are exceptions, but overall... People are whiny, selfish, uncaring, idiots. Give me some reason to think differently and I might be able to have a more rosy perspective.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      Again, how does that view NOT match today's society? There are exceptions, but overall... People are whiny, selfish, uncaring, idiots. Give me some reason to think differently and I might be able to have a more rosy perspective.
      If you truly believe the majority of mankind is that way, then I'm done debating this with you as it is obvious you have much bigger issues deal with.

      BTW, the 2nd definition you listed for cynic proves my point. A faultfinding captious critic is by nature not a realist.

      From your same M-W page for "cynic":
      Synonyms: misanthrope, naysayer, pessimist
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Relax guys
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      If you truly believe the majority of mankind is that way, then I'm done debating this with you as it is obvious you have much bigger issues deal with.

      BTW, the 2nd definition you listed for cynic proves my point. A faultfinding captious critic is by nature not a realist.

      From your same M-W page for "cynic":
      Unhappy facts, and faults, are still real.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      Unhappy facts, and faults, are still real.
      Trying to be a faultfinding captious critic and yet still be a realist at the same time is about as legitimate of a claim as Fox's "Fair and Balanced" slogan.
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      Trying to be a faultfinding captious critic and yet still be a realist at the same time is about as legitimate of a claim as Fox's "Fair and Balanced" slogan.
      That explains why you think I need help. You spend too much time listening to "news people" to form your own opinion. Read a paper, or a book instead, you might have more fun.

      If nobody raised concerns or objections, ie: if nobody had ever been "captious," we would still be under British rule. There is a REAL place for it. If more people gave two turds, politicians would be voted out of office once they become criminal.

      Nobody cares, so they let CNN or FOX dictate their views for them. The poor want more benefits, so they vote "liberal." The rich want bigger breaks, so they vote "conservative."

      Both are selfish motives. What's worse, people actively complain, during political campaigns, about the incumbent, yet most get re-elected 90% of the time.

      America is lost, and driving down the road to destruction, but god forbid we actually examine our faults.

      Right. I'm a bad person, you believe that, and then look in a mirror and ask a question:

      "Is a contrarian any better than a cynic?"

      You sir, ARE a contrarian, as evidenced by the vast majority of your posts and "contributions" to this site.
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      And yes, I found a fault in you. OMG!
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      I never said you were a bad person.

      If you want to call me a contrarian, then I guess I am; it is none of my business what other people think of me.
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
      Reasons, whats the reason to Jailbreak then?

      What good is doing something if nobody cares or wants it?

      The Dev team is important because:
      1. People want JB
      2. Others make money on JB (Cydia, Themeit)
      3. It ticks of Apple
      4. Dev Team proves their skill and could be worth $$$ in the Dev world, they could be offered a lot of $$$ for work.

      So why should they care? Because without coming out with more JB the popularity drops, the interest drops, we live in a "What have you done lately?" world not "I did that years ago" world.

      Its naive to think people will not switch from Iphone to Android, if the JB becomes a memory then people will switch:
      Android has enough Apps now, the phones are getting better and rival Iphone 4, so if you want the customization and tweaks and can't JB Iphone what will people do?

      People are fickle, what is hot is what people want, think about Highschool kids, you think they are loyal to Apple? LOL no, they could care less, they are a target group for these phones and I can tell you right now, my Kids are 19 and 21 and none of them want an Iphone, most of their friends do not want or have an Iphone. That speaks volumes to me, it means the Iphone is not cool to them, so who is going to buy the Iphone in the future?

      For Iphone to grow and have a future JB must be a part of it.

      So if Iphone becomes lame and people do not care anymore, what happens to the Dev team? A memory, yesterday's PacMan.
      Ok your argument is good except for the fact that compared to how many iDevices are outthere a very small percent (I read somewhere under 10%) actually JB their iPhones. I personally would lose interest cuz it's not worth having a non jailbroken iPhone. But to say the iPhone won't strive without a jailbroken iphone is not an accurate statement and people will buy apple products regardless. There was no jailbreak, no app store when the iPhone first came out and people still bought them and people will continue to buy them. I am getting sick of messing with my iPhone, the last 2 times I tried to restore to a custom unlocked firmware my iPhone got stuck in DFU loop and I hadto restore to stock 4.2.1 firmware and now my iPhone is tethered and I can't downgrade because it goes into DFU loop. And yes I tried iRecovery and just about everything else you can think of. And yes I have shsh on file with Cydia. So ya I may be one that switches before too long but for now I am content with my iPhone 3GS.
    1. emirsosa's Avatar
      emirsosa -
      cool nice one
    1. Mikey724's Avatar
      Mikey724 -
      I agree with Naked. Were is the 4.2.1 jb?Thats about a month now Ive been waiting..come on lads get the finger out quick style...
    1. emirsosa's Avatar
      emirsosa -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikey724 View Post
      I agree with Naked. Were is the 4.2.1 jb?Thats about a month now Ive been waiting..come on lads get the finger out quick style...
      same with unlock for 2.xx.xx and 3.x.x darn why they cant release it..............

      eventually apple will patch it

      if apple decides to release a 4.4 after 4.3 will dev team hold JB and Unlock again?

    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by emirsosa View Post
      same with unlock for 2.xx.xx and 3.x.x darn why they cant release it..............

      eventually apple will patch it

      if apple decides to release a 4.4 after 4.3 will dev team hold JB and Unlock again?

      I don't think they're intentionally holding back an unlock for the iPhone 4. I have a feeling it takes a lot more work than normal, or they have not yet found a truly exploitable vulnerability in the BB.
    1. emirsosa's Avatar
      emirsosa -
      pshh u think?

      i think they work for apple...ive been with iphones long time and i hate the part of waiting more than 2 month for unlock.......but even though they work for apple(as i think-no need to quarell over this) they do something good