• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Adding Keywords to App Store for Better Searching
    We all know the the App Store is a bit of a mess when you're trying to browse around for sweet applications. Apple knows as well and is trying to mitigate the issue a bit by improving the App Stores search capabilities.

    Developers can now add up to 255 characters of keywords to their applications when they submit to the App Store via iTunes connect. These keywords will provide the App Store with (hopefully) better search results that could make finding the right app for you out of the 65,000+ applications available easier.

    The update from apple says
    It is important to enter keywords for all applications as soon as possible so your application can continue to be successfully located on the App Store . . . Keywords can be updated with the submission of a new binary.
    While this probably wont solve all of Apple's App Store issues, namely the burried apps and the thousands and thousands of $0.99 crap apps, it is a step in the right direction.

    via appleinsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Adding Keywords to App Store for Better Searching started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
    1. zoolander369's Avatar
      zoolander369 -
      Hope it helps
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      Ahhhh I like!!
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      We can call them "crapps"... has that been said before? Am I late?
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I am having a hard time understanding how this will help anything? I mean I guess it will help searches and stuff, but for things like top 25 I don;t see it making a difference. Unless... is Apple changing the format of the appstore to coincide with this? I can see that making a difference.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I am having a hard time understanding how this will help anything? I mean I guess it will help searches and stuff, but for things like top 25 I don;t see it making a difference. Unless... is Apple changing the format of the appstore to coincide with this? I can see that making a difference.
      Basically, there's no way to find apps that are buried. For instance, if I go into the AppStore and search for "Casual", it only gives me hits from games that have "Casual" either in their title or in their description. Now developers can add "casual" as a keyword instead of including it in the title, or explicitely stating it in the game's description.

      This is simply a method to try and mix things up a bit. As of now the AppStore is a stagnant swamp instead of a flowing river. It's not the pinnacle of solutions, but it's a start.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      ^ +1

      They need a better system
    1. Jasper44's Avatar
      Jasper44 -
      Riiiight, because keyword systems are never abused...

      Take this craigslist listing as an example of what to expect once Apple allows keywords.
      2005 Dodge Ram 1500

      Will probably just be more of a mess. You search for "shooter" and get lemonade tycoon.
    1. James24's Avatar
      James24 -
      Quote Originally Posted by juda1 View Post
      me too, *whistles*
      Yea it's great =]]]]]
    1. rwin84's Avatar
      rwin84 -
      Thank you its about time. Ive been looking for P2P games and most are not tagged as such...
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
      Riiiight, because keyword systems are never abused...

      Take this craigslist listing as an example of what to expect once Apple allows keywords.
      2005 Dodge Ram 1500

      Will probably just be more of a mess. You search for "shooter" and get lemonade tycoon.
      Haha,

      This is Apple we're dealing with here -- do you think they'll actually let developers put whatever they want as keywords? This is like the Lord of the Manor allowing the serfs an extra slice of (heavily regulated) bread.
    1. Jasper44's Avatar
      Jasper44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      Haha,

      This is Apple we're dealing with here -- do you think they'll actually let developers put whatever they want as keywords? This is like the Lord of the Manor allowing the serfs an extra slice of (heavily regulated) bread.
      I doubt Apple is going to spend the time to look at every app and its keywords when there are 65,000 apps.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
      I doubt Apple is going to spend the time to look at every app and its keywords when there are 65,000 apps.
      Maybe you're right -- perhaps I'm just a little cynical. But I just can't shake the feeling that Apple would allow developers to put whatever they want in the keyword field -- it would go completely against Apple's 'way'. They have established themselves as heavy-handed regulators of quality goods and services. Why change things now?

      It took them a whole year to decide to allow keywords. Keywords! You can't tell me they haven't put a lot of thought into this decision. Without some sort of oversight on the part of Apple, this whole move will ultimately be for naught.

      Besides, it only takes a moment for someone to glance at a bunch of keywords and tell if they're appropriate to the application.

      I don't mean to argue or anything, I'm just bored with too much coffee in me!
    1. djdraco's Avatar
      djdraco -
      hopefully it'll help. i know sometimes i try to find an app and get 3000 apps to cycle through.