Will the iPhone ever make it to China? According to Tech.QQ the answer is yes, by the end of September 2009 via China Unicom.
- The Apple and China Unicom deal will be a 3-year exclusive.
- The iPhone will be customized for the China market (e.g. Chinese language and preloaded with “for China” apps).
- China Unicom will pay Apple 3,000 CNY ($439 USD) per unit.
- China Unicom will subsidize iPhone by pricing the iPhone below the 3,000 CNY paid to Apple. This would take the official iPhone price below the grey-market price for smuggled iPhones.
- China Unicom has promised to sell a minimum 1 million units per year with significantly higher sales targets.
- The iPhone for China will make use of Apple’s China App Store.
Maybe we can finally put the no yes no China iPhone news to rest.