• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • First official photos of a jailbroken 3G[s] released. Tool not too far away!


    Earlier this morning geohot posted the first official photos of a jailbroken iPhone 3G[s]. geohot uses an iboot patch to upload a LLB to the phone which utilizes the 24kpwn patch in the bootrom. He mentions on twitter that a simple change in the current redsn0w would allow the 3G[s] jailbreak:


    geohot:


    There is still lot of questions on whether geohot plans on releasing a jailbreak tool of his own or releasing his exploit to the other dev teams working on the project. Seeing as it would only take updating a few lines in redsn0w, I would hope he allows the dev team to update it and get the tool to the public as soon as possible. We almost haz jailbreak.




    Enjoy!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: First official photos of a jailbroken 3G[s] released. Tool not too far away! started by StealthBravo View original post
    Comments 2113 Comments
    1. schoenemans's Avatar
      schoenemans -
      Since people will have the 3.0 jailbreak they won't be such a pain in the *** anymore to get 3.0. jailbroken, so the dev guys can take their time. Imo they should just release the jb and give people what they want
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Abd as soon as they do that Apple will patch it with 3.01 so no new phones can be JBd - is that what you want?

      Luckily the Dev Team do what's in the best interest of the majority not just a few.
    1. inzandity's Avatar
      inzandity -
      Especially if its only a 10 line change, and that ultra snow is already released for the 3G. Wouldn't apple be able to block it anyways?
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      10 lines is a lot! But that's in RedSn0w not Apple's FW.
      Remember the change from BL 5.8 to 5.9 was only about 6 bytes.
    1. jcisthebest2000's Avatar
      jcisthebest2000 -
      Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't apple know where the hole is anyway by what is currently being said. So weather they release the JB or not apple will still patch it??
    1. schoenemans's Avatar
      schoenemans -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Abd as soon as they do that Apple will patch it with 3.01 so no new phones can be JBd - is that what you want?

      Luckily the Dev Team do what's in the best interest of the majority not just a few.
      First of all, then apple just brings 3.0.2 out and blocks the jb?
      Second, i read that the iPhone 3GS will always be jailbreakable, whatever firmware it's on. So why not bring it out?
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      They don't know yet. Only GeoHot has shown a JB'd device, provided it doesn't get released into the wild Apple won't be able to patch it.

      Quote Originally Posted by schoenemans View Post
      First of all, then apple just brings 3.0.2 out and blocks the jb?
      Second, i read that the iPhone 3GS will always be jailbreakable, whatever firmware it's on. So why not bring it out?
      The Dev Team will explain their logic tomorrow. but basically Apple are very unlikely to release a second update so soon after a first.
      OS 2.0 was released on 11/07/08 OS 2.0.1 was released on 4/8/08 but it was a long time before the next update.

      Soprry if my posts are getting out of order - people are replying quicker than I can type!
    1. iPhoneMuscle's Avatar
      iPhoneMuscle -
      It's always something on why can't it be released... Please someone mod the REDSNOW and lets get on with the show..


      If not it will be weeks like always...I'm not wasting my time pushing refresh no more...
    1. LastSonOfKrypton's Avatar
      LastSonOfKrypton -
      Why does everyone think an update is that far off? Do you think Apple and the official carriers are happy about ultrasn0w?We're very likely to see an update soon. 3.0.1 will have a new baseband to block ultrasn0w, that's a given.
    1. k.nitsua's Avatar
      k.nitsua -
      Jailbreak depends on hardware, not software. At least this is my understanding of it. I don't think the same goes for unlocking though since baseband upgrades and screw things up. Firmware upgrades just changes structure and other stuff that requires a modified jailbreak - but the jailbreak capability will always be there.

      Again, this is at least MY understanding... I am in no way, shape, or form an authority on this.
    1. jcisthebest2000's Avatar
      jcisthebest2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
      Why does everyone think an update is that far off? Do you think Apple and the official carriers are happy about ultrasn0w?We're very likely to see an update soon. 3.0.1 will have a new baseband to block ultrasn0w, that's a given.
      So surely it would be better to get the JB out now so the people who have the 3GS can start to use this device on other networks. If they wait for 301 with a possible new baseband nobody will be able to use it on other networks?
    1. k.nitsua's Avatar
      k.nitsua -
      I think a firmware update is not that far off. With several issues already developing with 3.0, a bug fix update seems imminent. Here's an example of one of the issues being shot into the limelight:

      http://www.tuaw.com/2009/06/26/iphon...n-version-3-0/

      So 3.0.1 will probably be released within a month. Again, just MY estimate.
    1. schoenemans's Avatar
      schoenemans -
      That's only the minority of the people who are affected by those bugs. Myself I have an iPhone 3G and 3GS and both haven't got a problem. Also my bro's iphone 2G doesn't have any problems. If dev team releases 3GS jb, they'll make the majority happy, and when apple releases then 3.0.1 they can work on that without being bugged about their 3.0 release. Ok sure, people who'll buy an iphone at that time won't be able to jb it for a while, but neither do we?
    1. jcisthebest2000's Avatar
      jcisthebest2000 -
      Totally agree, i've had my 3GS from day one of release and i'm starting to get veryy bored of all the standard bits and missing my JB lol.
    1. inzandity's Avatar
      inzandity -
      Quote Originally Posted by jcisthebest2000 View Post
      Totally agree, i've had my 3GS from day one of release and i'm starting to get veryy bored of all the standard bits and missing my JB lol.
      Me and you both... Can we have some individuality yet?
    1. schoenemans's Avatar
      schoenemans -
      Although i have to admit i wouldn't be here without geohot and dev team, big shout out to you guys. All i can say is that it would be fair enough to release the jb already imo.
    1. Araya213's Avatar
      Araya213 -
      These guys have worked very hard to get this jailbreak completed and are not going to risk their work being invalidated because they jumped the gun. They don't owe any of us anything. I personally don't agree with their apparent rationale in holding back, but it's not going to do me any good to argue, and it's certainly not my place to complain. It's highly likely that they know something we don't. Anyway, everybody chill.
    1. comthre3's Avatar
      comthre3 -
      Quote Originally Posted by inzandity View Post
      Me and you both... Can we have some individuality yet?
      if its individuality your seeking, then i suggest you spray paint your iPhone,, :P
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      I am thinking it would a smart idea for anyone who plans on unlocking the 3GS to use on another network to go purchase one before apple releases 3.0.1 ,as all the iPhones purchased in store after that release is sure to have the newest firmware already on it, hence possibly blocking any chance of ultrasn0wing....
    1. schoenemans's Avatar
      schoenemans -
      Quote Originally Posted by Araya213 View Post
      These guys have worked very hard to get this jailbreak completed and are not going to risk their work being invalidated because they jumped the gun. They don't owe any of us anything. I personally don't agree with their apparent rationale in holding back, but it's not going to do me any good to argue, and it's certainly not my place to complain. It's highly likely that they know something we don't. Anyway, everybody chill.
      I agree with you Araya, we can't force dev team or geo into doing something. I just think it's unusefull to withhold the release, that's my opinion.