• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • PUSH Notification for Jailbreak Apps Coming SOON


    Though the jailbroken iPhones does NOT need Push notification, it can still be pretty much useful (and fancy!) in some cases and maybe will even bring new kind of apps on Cydia soon.

    KennyTM (the same guy who created GRiP, Growl for iPhone) has developed a small extension to MobileSubstrate - called FakePushNotification - that lets developers add push notification to their apps using some simple code. To install the extension, simply get it off the googlecode page and the files in following directories using SSH.

    • Put the .dylib and the .plist to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries
    • Put the executable (FakePushNotification) to /usr/bin and chmod a+x it.
    After installing, running some simple commands from Command Line, like the one below can demonstrate the capabilities.

    FakePushNotification com.yourcompany.pushEnabledApp -
    aps={
    alert={
    body = "Hello world!";
    action-loc-key = "Welcome!";
    };
    };
    ^D
    Due to the simple coding, developers can implement it in their apps easily.

    NOTE: This is not the final release and may have certain bugs.

    networkpx via iClarified
    This article was originally published in forum thread: PUSH Notification for Jailbreak Apps Coming SOON started by sayam View original post
    Comments 31 Comments
    1. gastonm's Avatar
      gastonm -
      Confused by this post??? Thought this was about push for hacktivated phones (tmobile users) I've got a 3g on 3.o with tmobie and no push. So how did some of these people get theirs to work?? Please share!! ATT sim card? I put it in and then put the tmobile sim back in... is that all??

      Interesting
    1. djmartox's Avatar
      djmartox -
      soo im gonna do the attsim card now. tell me if that work for 2g iphone and how to do it pls cuz i dont wanna restore my iphone again and then the pust doesnt work !:S so pls help.

      p.s. sorry for my bad english

      i found this in a blog but i didnt test it yet.

      neckaros (21:47:25) :

      I repaired the problem by using an official unactivated SIM (with no contract on it and a restored phone without restoring the backup). It passed the first activation (i could use the phone as an iPod touch) but it then “said waiting for activation this may take several minutes” and then i redsnowed it et voilą push is working on my 2G iPhone

      PS:Is it me or comment order is all wrong on this page?
    1. Noirhybrid's Avatar
      Noirhybrid -
      Push isn't that great indeed. Sucks the battery life like a leech. Would only use the notifications for Beejive or some messenger app.
    1. ares07's Avatar
      ares07 -
      Push IS great. Don“t know what the F you guys are talking about, i have great battery life

      Also, 99% of the guys posting here are talking crap, and going offtopic. This is about adding "push" to jb apps
    1. cuty_kamu's Avatar
      cuty_kamu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      Activate your phone with an AT&T sim after jailbreak and you will get push for apps. Borrow a friends sim or just buy one for cheap at AT&T. It does not need to be an activate sim, just an AT&T one.
      PS- I always restore and jailbreak with an AT&T sim in the phone. May be a solution to some problems or might just be a habit, but I also never have any problems that a lot of people talk about on here with unlocks and jailbreaks.
      melech i did what u said..
      i jailbreak and unlocked my 3g iphone on 3.0 with at&t non-working sim card but still push isn't working...
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cuty_kamu View Post
      melech i did what u said..
      i jailbreak and unlocked my 3g iphone on 3.0 with at&t non-working sim card but still push isn't working...
      Push will not be enabled until you install an app from the app store that supports push. AIM is a good starting point. Install AIM and a message should pop up asking you if you would like to enable PUSH.
    1. cuty_kamu's Avatar
      cuty_kamu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      Push will not be enabled until you install an app from the app store that supports push. AIM is a good starting point. Install AIM and a message should pop up asking you if you would like to enable PUSH.
      i did install aim, im+ and ap new channel..
      all 3 of them supports push notification but the problem is i am not receiving any pop up messages or notofications when i quit the application.. however i am able to receive the notifications when i open the application...
      the point is my push is not working at all.. no pop-ups no notifications.

      Quote Originally Posted by cuty_kamu View Post
      i did install aim, im+ and ap new channel..
      all 3 of them supports push notification but the problem is i am not receiving any pop up messages or notofications when i quit the application.. however i am able to receive the notifications when i open the application...
      the point is my push is not working at all.. no pop-ups no notifications.
      i have checked and my push notifications are turned on but still i am not able to receive push notifications.
    1. scariola's Avatar
      scariola -
      All 3G Users on T Mobile who want push notifications will have to have an old ATT Sim taken from an iPhone(in my case), here is instructions, requires a full restore, so be ready for that.

      Hello, after Jailbreaking and unlocking my 3G, all was working great except PUSH. I was contemplating redoing everything and following the guide on here to get it to work…I decided to go for it. I will try to put a more detailed guide here to help people who are a bit scared or on the fence about it. After taking the following steps, all should work fine. i.e. MMS, strong signal, PUSH and so forth. I did this yesterday and I haven’t had one problem so far and my battery life is on par with pre jailbreak.

      1. Download Redsn0w…I used 7.2 version

      2. Download the 3.0 ISPW and put it in a folder on your desktop. (so you can find it easily)

      3. this is key…Get a WORKING or NON-working AT&T sim card from a buddy.

      NOW…….

      1.RESTORE your 3G through I tunes, or you can do SHIFT/RESTORE and grab the firmware that you have already downloaded for Redsn0w.
      Once you have a RESTORED 3G,

      2. Activate the 3G (with working or non working AT&T sim still in phone)…When prompted, SET UP AS A NEW PHONE!
      (screen will say “ACTIVATING PHONE, THIS MAY TAKE A WHILE” YOU CAN DISMISS IT ON THE SCREEN

      3. Now Jailbreak with Redsn0w (leave AT&T sim in)

      4. I would only install Cydia. (Heard that by installing CYDIA and Icy causes problems)

      5. IMPORTANT…Turn 3G off NOW. (still leave AT&T sim in)

      6. Connect to a wifi network and run CYDIA and let it perform essential upgrades. (typically Cydia will close after updating, just reopen when it finishes)

      7. Now it’s time to UNLOCK, need to add the repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia.
      (To do this, go to manage–sources–edit(top right)–add (top left)when screen pops up, put in repo666.ultrasn0w.com and press ADD SOURCE. Then cydia will add Ultrasn0w to your CHANGES section at the bottom of Cydia.

      8. Once Ultrasn0w is installed….Almost there!

      9. Shut down the phone, take AT&T sim out, replace with T-Mobile and restart the phone!

      UNLOCKED 3G, with MMS and PUSH.

      DO NOT NOT NOT restore from an old backup!!!!!

      At this point you can sync your music, apps…
      To test push download AIM (free version works just fine)
      Here are some common setting for T-Mobile
      go to Settings–General–Network–Cellular Data…

      MMS
      APN: Wap.voicestream.com
      MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
      MMS Proxy: 215.155.165.50:8080
      All others you can leave blank.

      REBOOT after making these changes for them to take place.
    1. cuty_kamu's Avatar
      cuty_kamu -
      Quote Originally Posted by scariola View Post
      All 3G Users on T Mobile who want push notifications will have to have an old ATT Sim taken from an iPhone(in my case), here is instructions, requires a full restore, so be ready for that.

      Hello, after Jailbreaking and unlocking my 3G, all was working great except PUSH. I was contemplating redoing everything and following the guide on here to get it to work…I decided to go for it. I will try to put a more detailed guide here to help people who are a bit scared or on the fence about it. After taking the following steps, all should work fine. i.e. MMS, strong signal, PUSH and so forth. I did this yesterday and I haven’t had one problem so far and my battery life is on par with pre jailbreak.

      1. Download Redsn0w…I used 7.2 version

      2. Download the 3.0 ISPW and put it in a folder on your desktop. (so you can find it easily)

      3. this is key…Get a WORKING or NON-working AT&T sim card from a buddy.

      NOW…….

      1.RESTORE your 3G through I tunes, or you can do SHIFT/RESTORE and grab the firmware that you have already downloaded for Redsn0w.
      Once you have a RESTORED 3G,

      2. Activate the 3G (with working or non working AT&T sim still in phone)…When prompted, SET UP AS A NEW PHONE!
      (screen will say “ACTIVATING PHONE, THIS MAY TAKE A WHILE” YOU CAN DISMISS IT ON THE SCREEN

      3. Now Jailbreak with Redsn0w (leave AT&T sim in)

      4. I would only install Cydia. (Heard that by installing CYDIA and Icy causes problems)

      5. IMPORTANT…Turn 3G off NOW. (still leave AT&T sim in)

      6. Connect to a wifi network and run CYDIA and let it perform essential upgrades. (typically Cydia will close after updating, just reopen when it finishes)

      7. Now it’s time to UNLOCK, need to add the repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia.
      (To do this, go to manage–sources–edit(top right)–add (top left)when screen pops up, put in repo666.ultrasn0w.com and press ADD SOURCE. Then cydia will add Ultrasn0w to your CHANGES section at the bottom of Cydia.

      8. Once Ultrasn0w is installed….Almost there!

      9. Shut down the phone, take AT&T sim out, replace with T-Mobile and restart the phone!

      UNLOCKED 3G, with MMS and PUSH.

      DO NOT NOT NOT restore from an old backup!!!!!

      At this point you can sync your music, apps…
      To test push download AIM (free version works just fine)
      Here are some common setting for T-Mobile
      go to Settings–General–Network–Cellular Data…

      MMS
      APN: Wap.voicestream.com
      MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
      MMS Proxy: 215.155.165.50:8080
      All others you can leave blank.

      REBOOT after making these changes for them to take place.
      if i start from new and do not restore from my old back up than i will loose all my messages and contacts and all the data, right? i don't care for my contacts and emails as i use MobileME but i need my messages... what should i do?

      Quote Originally Posted by scariola View Post
      All 3G Users on T Mobile who want push notifications will have to have an old ATT Sim taken from an iPhone(in my case), here is instructions, requires a full restore, so be ready for that.

      Hello, after Jailbreaking and unlocking my 3G, all was working great except PUSH. I was contemplating redoing everything and following the guide on here to get it to work…I decided to go for it. I will try to put a more detailed guide here to help people who are a bit scared or on the fence about it. After taking the following steps, all should work fine. i.e. MMS, strong signal, PUSH and so forth. I did this yesterday and I haven’t had one problem so far and my battery life is on par with pre jailbreak.

      1. Download Redsn0w…I used 7.2 version

      2. Download the 3.0 ISPW and put it in a folder on your desktop. (so you can find it easily)

      3. this is key…Get a WORKING or NON-working AT&T sim card from a buddy.

      NOW…….

      1.RESTORE your 3G through I tunes, or you can do SHIFT/RESTORE and grab the firmware that you have already downloaded for Redsn0w.
      Once you have a RESTORED 3G,

      2. Activate the 3G (with working or non working AT&T sim still in phone)…When prompted, SET UP AS A NEW PHONE!
      (screen will say “ACTIVATING PHONE, THIS MAY TAKE A WHILE” YOU CAN DISMISS IT ON THE SCREEN

      3. Now Jailbreak with Redsn0w (leave AT&T sim in)

      4. I would only install Cydia. (Heard that by installing CYDIA and Icy causes problems)

      5. IMPORTANT…Turn 3G off NOW. (still leave AT&T sim in)

      6. Connect to a wifi network and run CYDIA and let it perform essential upgrades. (typically Cydia will close after updating, just reopen when it finishes)

      7. Now it’s time to UNLOCK, need to add the repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia.
      (To do this, go to manage–sources–edit(top right)–add (top left)when screen pops up, put in repo666.ultrasn0w.com and press ADD SOURCE. Then cydia will add Ultrasn0w to your CHANGES section at the bottom of Cydia.

      8. Once Ultrasn0w is installed….Almost there!

      9. Shut down the phone, take AT&T sim out, replace with T-Mobile and restart the phone!

      UNLOCKED 3G, with MMS and PUSH.

      DO NOT NOT NOT restore from an old backup!!!!!

      At this point you can sync your music, apps…
      To test push download AIM (free version works just fine)
      Here are some common setting for T-Mobile
      go to Settings–General–Network–Cellular Data…

      MMS
      APN: Wap.voicestream.com
      MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
      MMS Proxy: 215.155.165.50:8080
      All others you can leave blank.

      REBOOT after making these changes for them to take place.
      after restore from itunes to 3.0 on 3g with at&t sim card, it says itunes cannot activate the iphone...
    1. vanik08's Avatar
      vanik08 -
      I've got a regular AT&T sim card but not an iphone line, just regular AT&T plan...I got 3.0, jailbreaked with PwnageTool (on MAC) but push WILL NOT work...
    1. ares07's Avatar
      ares07 -
      offtopic...this is not to discuss if push works or not on your iphone“s