• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • 3.0 is Here. iPhone / iPod Touch Come and Get it.


    Here it is folks! You can get iPhone OS 3.0 immediately, as of now, this very moment, ahora mismo, from iTunes. Not sure how to do it? Open iTunes, making sure your iPhone is connected to your comp. Click your iPhone/iPod Touch's icon on the left.



    Then just click the "Check for Update" button.



    iTunes will let you know 3.0 is available - grab it. Then just do as it says to continue upgrading.



    NOTE: If youo're not seeing it yet in iTunes, grab it from the following download links:

    iPhone 1G - Download
    iPhone 3G - Download

    Use Firefox to get it (or IE - blech), as Safari decompresses the file when it saves it. Then, when the .ipsw file is on your Desktop (or wherever), go back into iTunes, hold down the Option key (Shift in Windows) and press the Restore button in your device's tab in iTunes. iTunes will ask you what file you want to restore with - choose the appropriate 3.0 file you just grabbed.



    For all you paranoid folks, here's the rundown on upgrading:
    • BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. Of course everything will go smooth and safe, but IF something happens, you want to make sure you've backed up your contacts, photos, important SMS, etc.
    • You WILL lose all Cydia apps. This is the same with EVERY firmware upgrade - iTunes has no idea you've got 'em on there, and sure isn't going to politely put them back for you after you upgrade. This includes all Cydia app settings, etc. Backup your stuff from those too if you haven't yet and need to.
    • 3.0 WILL have an official PwnageTool jailbreak (yup, including Cydia) shortly following the release of the 3.0 firmware (which just happened), according to MuscleNerd when he demoed the 3.0 unlock.
    • That being said, 3.0 will NOT BE UNLOCKABLE UNTIL FRIDAY. The DevTeam has already unlocked both the iPhone 1G and 3G running 3.0 with the new unlock tool, ultrasn0w, but they will not be releasing the tool until Friday. We'll let you know as soon as it happens, but for now - if you NEED to be unlocked, do NOT upgrade until Friday. Otherwise, you can upgrade just fine today and still unlock on Friday.
    • You DON'T need to wipe your device, go to stock 2.2.1 first, or anything - whether you're jailbroken or not, unlocked or locked, you can simply press "Update" in iTunes to upgrade to 3.0 - and you'll be fine.
    • Like you really need a list of features first, but we've got em detailed here.
    • iTunes 8.2 is required and fine to use. Jailbreak, unlock, all that will work fine in 8.2!

    New features include:

    *MMS (iPhone 3G and 3GS only) (Available later this summer for AT&T users)
    *Tethering (iPhone 3G and 3GS only)(Available later this summer for AT&T users)
    *Stereo Bluetooth
    *Landscape Keyboard in all apps
    *Cut & Paste
    *Spotlight Search
    *Voice Notes
    *Upgraded Calendar to include Exchange sync
    *Buy/Rent movies and shows directly on your iPhone
    *Enhanced Stocks
    *Increased speed
    *Shake to shuffle for the iPod.
    *Mobile Me improvements including Find My Phone and Remote Wipe.


    Please read the following before asking questions

    General Rules to Upgrading your Firmware:

    1. Back up your iPhone in iTunes first. If your phone is currently jailbroken and you have any apps hidden or in categories you will need to unhide them before making your back-up. This will avoid the "where are all my icons?" questions after you arrive at 3.0.
    2. If your phone is currently jailbroken you will need to use the RESTORE button, not the upgrade button. If you upgrade you will automatically lose about 500mb of disk space and never recover it until you finally restore. (This is due to Cydia moving files around). If your phone is not jailbroken then you can use the upgrade button without any issues.
    3. After you restore you can use your back-up in iTunes to get all your contacts, SMS, photos and App Store apps back. Do NOT ask about cracked apps!
    4. When you restore you will lose all your jailbroken apps which you will have to manually re-download from Cydia. Some apps are not 3.0 compatible yet.
    5. If you have an iPhone 3G this will upgrade your baseband and lock your phone. The unlock is not scheduled for release until Friday June 19th.
    6. If you have a first generation iPhone you can restore to 3.0 and re-jailbreak (when Quickpwn is updated). The baseband stays the same so you will not have to re-unlock.
    7. The initial release of Quickpwn and Pwnage Tool will be available for download on the iPhone Dev-Team blog. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 3.0 is Here. iPhone / iPod Touch Come and Get it. started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 527 Comments
    1. tattoojack's Avatar
      tattoojack -
      Quote Originally Posted by drswaar View Post
      SO i have to r download over 200 apps?!?!? You gotta be f'ng me!
      if your itunes mobile application folder is still there, then you dont have to
      if they are hidden with poof, just restore your phone.
      they will come back
      if not poof or categories then just right click an app in itunes and show in finder
      normally:
      ~/my music/itunes/mobile applications
      then drag all those apps back into itunes, sync and enjoy
    1. nora47's Avatar
      nora47 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ericapproves View Post
      It would have been nice if the dev-team understood the definition of the phrase "shortly after."

      Awesome, now I don't have any jailbroken customization and barely any time left in the day to get them all back. Thanks dev-team, thanks.

      Im using my first post on you. Are you ******* kidding???? they dont have to do ****, you should be really thankful and not full of complaints ****. They can release when they want cause they dont get a cent for any of this, it is free to you so you should be patient or get the **** out. I wish there was a way for dev team to block you from jailbreak and unlock.

      EDIT: Kidding second post
    1. tattoojack's Avatar
      tattoojack -
      Quote Originally Posted by ericapproves View Post
      It would have been nice if the dev-team understood the definition of the phrase "shortly after."

      Awesome, now I don't have any jailbroken customization and barely any time left in the day to get them all back. Thanks dev-team, thanks.
      they said wait, not restore your iphone.
      thats the problem.
      you.
      not them.
      sorry


      Quote Originally Posted by jshdw1100 View Post
      I did a complete restore and some things have seeped through. My carroer is still changed and the battery gauge is still numeric. There is also about 200mb that is stated as other. Any clues? It really isn't that big of a deal.
      thats why we have all been saying
      do not update, restore
      you will have a partition unusable that still contains partial jailbreak stuff like carrier logos etc.

      please read!
      it says on here and the devs blog,
      WAIT FOR US TO RELEASE PWNAGE/QUIKPWN


      Quote Originally Posted by nora47 View Post
      Im using my first post on you. Are you ******* kidding???? they dont have to do ****, you should be really thankful and not full of complaints ****. They can release when they want cause they dont get a cent for any of this, it is free to you so you should be patient or get the **** out. I wish there was a way for dev team to block you from jailbreak and unlock.

      EDIT: Kidding second post
      LMAO
      finally someone who has some common sense and respect for the people who deserve it and not these whining kids.

      preach on brotha!
    1. STEVIELOLO's Avatar
      STEVIELOLO -
      sorry if this has been answered already
      how do enable the numeric battery
      i have a iphone 2g 3.0

      thanks in advance
    1. steveken's Avatar
      steveken -
      Couple of things:

      I updated my wifes phone to 3.0 tonight. Can't seem to find out how to get it to show the percentage of the battery next to the battery meter. Wasn't that supposed to be a feature that was added to 3.0? Maybe I just missed something when looking at it. Let me know.

      Second, in case you guys haven't figured it out, the girl in tattoojack's profile pic and the animated gif of that girl licking the phone is Olivia Munn from G4. She is one of the hottest women on TV. She is incredibly sexy, loves video games, and is funny as hell!!!


      As for the 3.0 upgrade on my jailbroken iPhone, I will say that I am perfectly willing to wait until the upgrade from dev-team comes out. I will read everything I can on it and learn all about it first. The same way I did with the 2.2 upgrade when I was going to do that. It scared the hell out of me when I did it, but I did it anyway.

      Anyway, just thought I would ask and put all that out there.

      Quote Originally Posted by STEVIELOLO View Post
      sorry if this has been answered already
      how do enable the numeric battery
      i have a iphone 2g 3.0

      thanks in advance
      LOL, I was JUST typing up that very question, except for the phone I am wondering about it on is a 3G iPhone, but I don't think that matters.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      ^^You never know, knowing Apple!!
      I spent the whole night up, revising for an exam, sooo f**k**g tired!!!
    1. STEVIELOLO's Avatar
      STEVIELOLO -
      Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
      Couple of things:

      I updated my wifes phone to 3.0 tonight. Can't seem to find out how to get it to show the percentage of the battery next to the battery meter. Wasn't that supposed to be a feature that was added to 3.0? Maybe I just missed something when looking at it. Let me know.

      Second, in case you guys haven't figured it out, the girl in tattoojack's profile pic and the animated gif of that girl licking the phone is Olivia Munn from G4. She is one of the hottest women on TV. She is incredibly sexy, loves video games, and is funny as hell!!!


      As for the 3.0 upgrade on my jailbroken iPhone, I will say that I am perfectly willing to wait until the upgrade from dev-team comes out. I will read everything I can on it and learn all about it first. The same way I did with the 2.2 upgrade when I was going to do that. It scared the hell out of me when I did it, but I did it anyway.

      Anyway, just thought I would ask and put all that out there.


      LOL, I was JUST typing up that very question, except for the phone I am wondering about it on is a 3G iPhone, but I don't think that matters.
      i hate not having the numeric battery.
    1. SharkySharky's Avatar
      SharkySharky -
      Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
      Couple of things:

      I updated my wifes phone to 3.0 tonight. Can't seem to find out how to get it to show the percentage of the battery next to the battery meter. Wasn't that supposed to be a feature that was added to 3.0? Maybe I just missed something when looking at it. Let me know.

      Second, in case you guys haven't figured it out, the girl in tattoojack's profile pic and the animated gif of that girl licking the phone is Olivia Munn from G4. She is one of the hottest women on TV. She is incredibly sexy, loves video games, and is funny as hell!!!


      As for the 3.0 upgrade on my jailbroken iPhone, I will say that I am perfectly willing to wait until the upgrade from dev-team comes out. I will read everything I can on it and learn all about it first. The same way I did with the 2.2 upgrade when I was going to do that. It scared the hell out of me when I did it, but I did it anyway.

      Anyway, just thought I would ask and put all that out there.


      LOL, I was JUST typing up that very question, except for the phone I am wondering about it on is a 3G iPhone, but I don't think that matters.
      This is just a wild guess as I'm not even on 3.0 yet, BUT for some strange reason when I read your post, the FIRST thing that popped into my head was "Settings->General->Usage." I am NOT saying that IS where it is located, but I am saying that not only did that just randomly come to mind, but it also makes sense to me since that is where it shows how much time has passed since your last full charge.... Apple does like to hide things inside settings in strange places...

      Let me know if my GUESS was accurate!
    1. ericapproves's Avatar
      ericapproves -
      Quote Originally Posted by nora47 View Post
      Im using my first post on you. Are you ******* kidding???? they dont have to do ****, you should be really thankful and not full of complaints ****. They can release when they want cause they dont get a cent for any of this, it is free to you so you should be patient or get the **** out. I wish there was a way for dev team to block you from jailbreak and unlock.

      EDIT: Kidding second post
      Firstly, congratulations, I want to thank you personally for letting me know how tough you are over the internet. Way to go.

      Second, **** you, I'm not "full of complaints", I had only one complaint, and that one has to do with the fact that they exaggerated their release time.

      Third, I know they can release "when they want", but making promises without having the means to back them up is ********, they could have given a more vague date, maybe something along the lines of "within the week." Also, as far as the whole "they can release any time they want" point of your argument, which in itself is a terribly worded and punctuated combination of what it seems to be pre-teen anger and boredom, developers usually don't release "whenever they want", just take a look at Façade App, a theming app for Mac OS X Leopard that was to be released in October 2008. It still hasn't been released, and they gave a time of 8 months ago. Now they have taken down the website (previously facadeapp.com), and the project has been abandoned.

      Fourth, seriously? You told me to "get the **** out"? You signed up this month, a month with only half of its days gone, so I can safely assume it was very recent. Congratulations on trying to side yourself with a forum that you literally just became apart of.

      So my advice to you Nora47, is to seriously think about what you're going to say before you say it, and make sure you have the means to back it up before you do, because none of your argument had any logic behind it. All I got from your previous statements, is that you are angry, angry in an indirectable way because you are obviously incapable of reason.

      -Eric

      P.S.

      TattooJack, I updated the second the firmware was released, hours ago, it was already done before these warnings of "do not restore" were given. Also, the word "brotha", is horrible description of Nora47, as he is not related to you, and it is inherently a misspelling of the word "brother."
    1. steveken's Avatar
      steveken -
      Quote Originally Posted by SharkySharky View Post
      This is just a wild guess as I'm not even on 3.0 yet, BUT for some strange reason when I read your post, the FIRST thing that popped into my head was "Settings->General->Usage." I am NOT saying that IS where it is located, but I am saying that not only did that just randomly come to mind, but it also makes sense to me since that is where it shows how much time has passed since your last full charge.... Apple does like to hide things inside settings in strange places...

      Let me know if my GUESS was accurate!
      Yeah, looked all through there and didn't find it. I figured it would be there too. I wonder if it even made it into the final code at all.
    1. cobhc99's Avatar
      cobhc99 -
      yea it does stay unlocked, mines did!
    1. tellytel's Avatar
      tellytel -
      are we getting turn by turn??

      Anyone?? Thanks
    1. SharkySharky's Avatar
      SharkySharky -
      Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
      Yeah, looked all through there and didn't find it. I figured it would be there too. I wonder if it even made it into the final code at all.
      Ok so after a bit of searching all I could find is that the one way (right now) to enable the numeric battery is to have the "Numeric Battery" enabled in SBSettings (or anywhere else to enable it) when you are on 2.2.1. THEN when you update to 3.0 (and obviously restore it from the back up you made in iTunes WITH the Numeric Battery enabled) then you will have the Numeric Battery.

      I am not able to test this as well, but I can also say that I am almost 100% sure that once the jailbreak is out and you install SBSettings, you will be able to enable the numeric battery that way instead of downgrading, jailbreaking, and then upgrading all over again

      Hope that helped


      EDIT:

      Here is another way but requires SSH and this method PROVES I wasn't crazy with my "Usage" idea

      -SSH into your iphone

      -Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/

      -Download the file M68AP.plist

      -Open the file using a text editor or a plist editor

      -Add a Boolean value under the capabilities dictionary

      -Boolean Key = gas-gauge- battery / Boolean Value = true

      -Save and upload the file to the same directory that it was originally in

      -Go onto the iPhone and respring

      -Now go to the application Settings -> General -> Usage and there will be a Battery Percentage toggle and you can use it to enable battery percentage next to battery icon in top-right corner.
    1. steveken's Avatar
      steveken -
      Quote Originally Posted by SharkySharky View Post
      Ok so after a bit of searching all I could find is that the one way (right now) to enable the numeric battery is to have the "Numeric Battery" enabled in SBSettings (or anywhere else to enable it) when you are on 2.2.1. THEN when you update to 3.0 (and obviously restore it from the back up you made in iTunes WITH the Numeric Battery enabled) then you will have the Numeric Battery.

      I am not able to test this as well, but I can also say that I am almost 100% sure that once the jailbreak is out and you install SBSettings, you will be able to enable the numeric battery that way instead of downgrading, jailbreaking, and then upgrading all over again

      Hope that helped


      EDIT:

      Here is another way but requires SSH and this method PROVES I wasn't crazy with my "Usage" idea

      -SSH into your iphone

      -Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/

      -Download the file M68AP.plist

      -Open the file using a text editor or a plist editor

      -Add a Boolean value under the capabilities dictionary

      -Boolean Key = gas-gauge- battery / Boolean Value = true

      -Save and upload the file to the same directory that it was originally in

      -Go onto the iPhone and respring

      -Now go to the application Settings -> General -> Usage and there will be a Battery Percentage toggle and you can use it to enable battery percentage next to battery icon in top-right corner.
      Well, yeah, I knew you could do that cause thats how I have it now on my jailbroke phone. I was pretty sure it was supposed to be in the 3.0 firmware natively because I believe I saw quite a few times in pictures by Apple that there was a percent right beside the icon. For instance, I am pretty sure it was like 99% (icon). I guess I could be wrong and could have been seeing things, but I am almost positive it was there in all the pics. I wish there was someone else to confirm whether that was truly there or not during the Apple presentations.

      EDIT: I didn't see your edit till after I responded. I like your idea of doing that, but the trouble is that most people aren't going to be able to do all of that with a non-jailbroken iphone. What I was referring to was something that I am most definitely positive I saw in Apple presentation materials.
    1. jabij1's Avatar
      jabij1 -
      ive been trying that boolean key/plist edit method all day for the numerical battery and for some reason whenever i copy the edited file back into the same directory and respring my phone, the toggle fails to show up under usage...anyone know why? (and will this work once 3.0 jailbreak through quickpwn is released)
    1. ybhavarthi's Avatar
      ybhavarthi -
      Quote Originally Posted by law111 View Post
      This is the cause of probably the application from cydia, Poof!. Looks like your going to have to restore and set up as a new iPhone? :P Should have removed them from their folders before updating. Sorry.
      Why do people setup a new phone for getting their category apps? Its simple to enable and disable restrictions once. Thats it!!!
    1. SharkySharky's Avatar
      SharkySharky -
      Quote Originally Posted by jabij1 View Post
      ive been trying that boolean key/plist edit method all day for the numerical battery and for some reason whenever i copy the edited file back into the same directory and respring my phone, the toggle fails to show up under usage...anyone know why? (and will this work once 3.0 jailbreak through quickpwn is released)
      You realize that what I posted is ONLY for 3.0, right? If you are NOT on 3.0 then you could follow those steps for YEARS and have it NEVER work

      Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
      Well, yeah, I knew you could do that cause thats how I have it now on my jailbroke phone. I was pretty sure it was supposed to be in the 3.0 firmware natively because I believe I saw quite a few times in pictures by Apple that there was a percent right beside the icon. For instance, I am pretty sure it was like 99% (icon). I guess I could be wrong and could have been seeing things, but I am almost positive it was there in all the pics. I wish there was someone else to confirm whether that was truly there or not during the Apple presentations.

      EDIT: I didn't see your edit till after I responded. I like your idea of doing that, but the trouble is that most people aren't going to be able to do all of that with a non-jailbroken iphone. What I was referring to was something that I am most definitely positive I saw in Apple presentation materials.

      I actually think that when we saw the Numeric battery in any screenshots they were all posted by people OTHER than Apple, thus I presume they were jailbroken prior to 3.0.

      Go look at Apple.com and if you find one of their pictures with it then post it here, otherwise I'm pretty sure that it's not a "built in feature"

      Oh and I am 100% on your side in thinking it was built into the stock firmware! haha! I think we were BOTH wrong though
    1. nora47's Avatar
      nora47 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ericapproves View Post
      Firstly, congratulations, I want to thank you personally for letting me know how tough you are over the internet. Way to go.

      Second, **** you, I'm not "full of complaints", I had only one complaint, and that one has to do with the fact that they exaggerated their release time.

      Third, I know they can release "when they want", but making promises without having the means to back them up is ********, they could have given a more vague date, maybe something along the lines of "within the week." Also, as far as the whole "they can release any time they want" point of your argument, which in itself is a terribly worded and punctuated combination of what it seems to be pre-teen anger and boredom, developers usually don't release "whenever they want", just take a look at Façade App, a theming app for Mac OS X Leopard that was to be released in October 2008. It still hasn't been released, and they gave a time of 8 months ago. Now they have taken down the website (previously facadeapp.com), and the project has been abandoned.

      Fourth, seriously? You told me to "get the **** out"? You signed up this month, a month with only half of its days gone, so I can safely assume it was very recent. Congratulations on trying to side yourself with a forum that you literally just became apart of.

      So my advice to you Nora47, is to seriously think about what you're going to say before you say it, and make sure you have the means to back it up before you do, because none of your argument had any logic behind it. All I got from your previous statements, is that you are angry, angry in an indirectable way because you are obviously incapable of reason.

      -Eric

      P.S.

      TattooJack, I updated the second the firmware was released, hours ago, it was already done before these warnings of "do not restore" were given. Also, the word "brotha", is horrible description of Nora47, as he is not related to you, and it is inherently a misspelling of the word "brother."
      First, this is not the place for an argument so im not doing that.

      Second, thanks for showing how tough you are as well.

      Third, like i said you should be patient, we should all be very thankful to the devteam for doing this in "their spare time". Like i said, they do not make money off of this at all (at least to our knowledge, who knows maybe apple pays them to do this and thats why there always seems to be a hole, unlikely but you never know).

      Fourth, a lot of people make promises without being able to complete them in an estimated time, it is nothing new. The devteam also never gave an exact time of release for the jailbreak, all they said was, and i quote from their blog, " All of our other tools should be out pretty soon after the official Apple release." No time frame at all, pretty soon could mean ten minutes after or a day after. Want more proof of no guarantee of a release date or time, "Our tools will be released no sooner than the Apple release (just in case!)." What more can i really say to get the point to you?

      Fifth, you are right i did recentely join, but that is only because i just bought my first iphone and was very interested in jailbreaking and unlocking, sorry that i am new here, i guesse i cant talk until i have been here for as long as you have been right?

      And finally, if you reread what i just said you will understand that there was logic in what i said, you just cant understand it, maybe you aren`t capable of reason? just a thought.

      p.s. you are right i am full of boredom as it is the summer and school is out, however i am not a pre-teen as you say, i am 20 years old.

      EDIT1: A very good reason for any delay that might be or might not be is that something unexpected might have shown up with the final 3.0 firmware causing them to revaluate the jailbreak.

      EDIT2: According to urban dictionary(not a real dictionary, but a great slang dictionary), brotha is an urban slang term for a male friend, although we do not know each or are friends it can be used in a situation like Tatoojack used appropriately.
    1. steveken's Avatar
      steveken -
      Quote Originally Posted by SharkySharky View Post
      You realize that what I posted is ONLY for 3.0, right? If you are NOT on 3.0 then you could follow those steps for YEARS and have it NEVER work




      I actually think that when we saw the Numeric battery in any screenshots they were all posted by people OTHER than Apple, thus I presume they were jailbroken prior to 3.0.

      Go look at Apple.com and if you find one of their pictures with it then post it here, otherwise I'm pretty sure that it's not a "built in feature"

      Oh and I am 100% on your side in thinking it was built into the stock firmware! haha! I think we were BOTH wrong though
      I've never seen a jailbroken iPhone with the percentage AND the battery icon both side by side on the screen. But then again I haven't looked at too many of them because the people I know are too scared. I will look around to see what I can find.
    1. chrisj979's Avatar
      chrisj979 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
      Somethings were not clear for me "T-Mobile Jailbroken Unlocked" user:

      1) Will I lose data if I update?
      It's been hella long since I last synced my phone.
      (I am at work and I sync at home)

      2) Will I lose my Unlock?
      Yes, if you have a question more than likely your answer is "wait till Friday"

      T-Mobile = "wait till Friday"
      NOT AT&T = "wait till Friday"
      Can I Jailbreak? "wait till Friday"
      Can I Unlock? "wait till Friday"
      Can I ?????????????? "WAIT TILL FRIDAY"