• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 3GS Hardware Specs Leaking Out


    The S is for speed and for more speed one needs some more power. T-Mobile Netherlands has posted specifications for the new iPhone 3G S processor revealing a 600 MHz chip inside.

    The new chip and more ram is how the iPhone 3G S is 50% faster than the iPhone 3G. For the iPhone 3G S Apple has bumped up processor speed from 400 MHz to 600 MHz and doubled the RAM going from 128 MB to 256 MB.

    While no more details about the processor in the iPhone 3G S have emerged yet we are expecting it to be some sort of ARM 7 processor previously rumored.

    Also, Apple's "iPhone How To" area has an entry on cleaning the iPhone which mentions the new iPhone 3GS will have an Oleophobic screen. You were hoping for perhaps OLED? Well how about an anti-climactic anti-oil screen?

    To clean iPhone, unplug all cables and turn off iPhone (press and hold the Sleep/ Wake button, then slide the onscreen slider). Then use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. If your iPhone has an oleophobic coating on the screen (iPhone 3G S only), simply wipe your iPhone’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands and face.
    Here's to all you looking forward to simply wiping on June 19th.



    Apple via iClarified
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 3GS Hardware Specs Leaking Out started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 58 Comments
    1. jrlrule's Avatar
      jrlrule -
      50% faster means its 50% faster

      50% slower(which you are thinking of) means its 50% slower

      lol


      anyways...I dont plan on buying this "new" iphone, nothing really pushed me to get it. Ill just wait for the next generation
    1. disturbedreaper's Avatar
      disturbedreaper -
      Quote Originally Posted by jvoni View Post
      I second that notion!
      thirded
      is that right?
      oh well it will have to work
    1. Brandon's Avatar
      Brandon -
      Does this mean I can't use a 3G Screen Protector with the new 3GS? Please let me know immediately!
    1. NeoNightmareX's Avatar
      NeoNightmareX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      Are you people really this dumb?
      Welcome to the American education system.

      Back to the actual tech specs. Hopefully these, along with a better battery, will allow for apps like AIM to be run in the background.

      Edit:
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
      Does this mean I can't use a 3G Screen Protector with the new 3GS? Please let me know immediately!
      According to Apple.com http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html and http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs-3g.html the dimensions of the 3GS and the 3G are exactly the same. The only difference is that the 3GS is 0.1 ounces heavier. My answer would be that you can use your screen protector with it, but then again, I don't work for Apple, it's just an educated guess.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I honestly do expect backgrounding to be coming to the 3GS, possibly even apps that run only on the 2DS or that are optimized for the 3GS. The people who are screaming "rip off" are just the ones that are bitter that they won;t be given a discount on the phone because they are currently on contract. As I said before, other companies don;t do it, why should ATT?
    1. jiggajuggawugga's Avatar
      jiggajuggawugga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
      Does this mean I can't use a 3G Screen Protector with the new 3GS? Please let me know immediately!
      Because of the same dimensions, obviously you can use any screen protector you like designed for the iPhone 3G... However unless you want the cons that go along with that screen you're SOL. I don't think the anti-oil benefits of the new screen will ooze through into your personal screen. MAYBE manufacturers will start making the oleographic (however it's spelled) screens scratch proof as well?
    1. tequilaguru's Avatar
      tequilaguru -
      ARM7 isn't possible, it has to be ARM11 or ARM Cortex A8. ARM7 is a microcontroller-type CPU.
    1. Brandon's Avatar
      Brandon -
      Quote Originally Posted by jiggajuggawugga View Post
      Because of the same dimensions, obviously you can use any screen protector you like designed for the iPhone 3G... However unless you want the cons that go along with that screen you're SOL. I don't think the anti-oil benefits of the new screen will ooze through into your personal screen. MAYBE manufacturers will start making the oleographic (however it's spelled) screens scratch proof as well?
      I did not understand your post fully. What is SOL?
    1. Hyperextension's Avatar
      Hyperextension -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
      I did not understand your post fully. What is SOL?
      SOL=**** Outta Luck
    1. Brandon's Avatar
      Brandon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
      SOL=**** Outta Luck
      Can you clarify his post for me. For the life of me, I cannot understand what he is saying in that post.
    1. Amraam's Avatar
      Amraam -
      Quote Originally Posted by owais123 View Post
      if you were smart you'd know its not a fail because 50% means half...so saying the iphone 3gs is 50% faster than the 3g means its actually slower
      Yes, the 3GS is 50% faster than the 3G, meaning that the 3GS is 150% the speed of the 3G. Ie 400Mhz (3G) to 600Mhz (3GS)

      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
      Can you clarify his post for me. For the life of me, I cannot understand what he is saying in that post.
      SOL is the abbreviation for **** Outta Luck.

      Replace * with the letters S, H, I and T respectively
    1. Cokeman's Avatar
      Cokeman -
      I'll be picking up a 3GS, all I wanted was a faster cpu & more memory. Although I was really hoping for the 1000mhz & 512mb this is an improvement. Better camera, video recording, & voice controls are just extra's now just got to decide on 16gb or 32gb.
    1. Brandon's Avatar
      Brandon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
      Yes, the 3GS is 50% faster than the 3G, meaning that the 3GS is 150% the speed of the 3G. Ie 400Mhz (3G) to 600Mhz (3GS)



      SOL is the abbreviation for **** Outta Luck.

      Replace * with the letters S, H, I and T respectively
      That's not what I am asking for. I don't understand his whole post.
    1. Amraam's Avatar
      Amraam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
      That's not what I am asking for. I don't understand his whole post.
      He means that the current 3G screen protectors will fit the 3GS fine, but you will not get the benefits of the new 3GS oleographic screens. Basically the oil-proof properties of the new screen won't be there as the screen protector that you're putting on will still attract oil as it is not oleographic itself.
    1. Brandon's Avatar
      Brandon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
      He means that the current 3G screen protectors will fit the 3GS fine, but you will not get the benefits of the new 3GS oleographic screens. Basically the oil-proof properties of the new screen won't be there as the screen protector that you're putting on will still attract oil as it is not oleographic itself.
      Thank you for re-phrasing it in proper english for me
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      I'm happy to see they made these internal upgrades! Finally it will be able to handle all the jailbroken mobilesubstrate apps we can throw at it!
    1. A Retired Mod's Avatar
      A Retired Mod -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      I'm happy to see they made these internal upgrades! Finally it will be able to handle all the jailbroken mobilesubstrate apps we can throw at it!
      ^+1....Now it might be worth upgrading to the 3GS....
    1. asma123's Avatar
      asma123 -
      I'm extremely disapointed that the iphone 3gs looks exactly the same as an iphone 3g. For that reason I don't think I'm going to upgrade. Maybe in the future I'll claim my iphone 3g warranty and get a new one (thanks to wireless wave extended warranty) but for now, I don't think so. real bummer
    1. se23's Avatar
      se23 -
      Poseidon u should work for Apple as I flat out didn't wanna upgrade till I read ur post ;p
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      LOL... thanks? The one thing I always hated about my 3G was the lack of RAM. OH!! And now all the video themes... animated widgets... changing backgrounds... all of them will work as they SHOULD on the 3GS