• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 4.3 Proves to Be a Challenge: Apple Adds ASLR Protection


    Little birdies have been tweeting about iOS 4.3 untethered jailbreak progresses, and it sounds like it might be a little bit tougher than expected, which is actually kind of sad as we are being teased with new features, yet again, being added to iOS 4.3. Whether or not those features are worth losing a jailbreak is yet to be determined. However the scenario, it has been discovered that Apple has added ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization).

    This might sound familiar to some of you, as this is what Antid0te was all about. Remember that tool that was going to add an extra layer of security to your jailbroken iDevice? Antid0te used ASLR protection, but it was to be installed AFTER you were jailbroken. It almost seems as though Apple is always keeping an eye on what we are doing in the jailbreaking community.




    However the case, @comex has chimed in and said “Heh, I think I can work around ASLR in this case, but it's cool that they're using it. I should see if iOS 4.3 breaks anything else...” via twitter. So while it may seem that jailbreaking iOS 4.3 may prove to be more difficult, it certainly isn’t impossible.

    While we wait patiently for an untethered iOS 4.2.1 release, may we dream of the days of jailbreaking iOS 4.3. Until then...


    Antid0te - Adding ASLR to iPhone / iPad / iPod
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 4.3 Proves to Be a Challenge: Apple Adds ASLR Protection started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 61 Comments
    1. keates.julie's Avatar
      keates.julie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
      Why can't Apple just give it up... They will never win.
      Haha. Agreed :->
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      I think that this is in regards to a USERLAND jailbreak. Obviously that 'should' also imply it being untethered but @p0sixninja, @pod2g, & @comex are talking about the ASLR because it makes a USERLAND JB more difficult. It doesn't mean an untethered JB is not possible just because of this new security.

      Anyways, that's how I interpreted their conversations....maybe I'm wrong.
    1. juggz143's Avatar
      juggz143 -
      Honestly I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't a job at apple just to minitor sites such as mmi and the like
    1. Jcbzr's Avatar
      Jcbzr -
      Quote Originally Posted by juggz143 View Post
      Honestly I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't a job at apple just to minitor sites such as mmi and the like
      Where do you think they get their innovative tweaks from?
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      They'll always find a way around it, no worries.
    1. 240v's Avatar
      240v -
      cmon COMEX u can do it!
    1. T4R06's Avatar
      T4R06 -
      i bet this will take another couple of months... then apple will released another beta and so on..
      why dont they release what they have?

      Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
      Why can't Apple just give it up... They will never win.
      do you notced this past few firmwares? before its easy now its getting tougher! see now who's winning?
    1. ohthatguyagain's Avatar
      ohthatguyagain -
      On comex, on saurik, and the rest of the team!! Go jb devs!!
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      That's what happens when devs tweet their tricks of the trade. Coincidence? I tend to think Apple follows their twitter pages.
      Yep. I think ALL hackers should SHUT UP about whats coming and just finish it THEN release it and whatever. And why release the source code for a hack too? Thats just stupid. You are giving them a guide of how to block it in the next update.

      It's not just here and crApple, its the PSP and PS3 devs too.

      They wonder why things get blocked before its released? Well if they didn't say anything about it then they (crApple, $ony, M$) wouldn't have a clue then they cant block it.

      You have to be smart to be a dev but it looks like you have to be stupid at the same time too.
    1. my1past1is1ur1future's Avatar
      my1past1is1ur1future -
      y don't apple treat it customers like adults. if they wanna jailbreak it's their responsiblity. geesh!
      haha i had dream once that apple would allow jailbreakin in itunes with restrictin haha i think that ain't gonna happen:P
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      It'll get done. The guys that are on the job (jailbreak) are complete geniuses - I have complete faith in them. This happens every time: new firmware with new obstacles and everyone panics... but it gets jailbroken anyways.

      Is there a tweak that tricks the AppStore into thinking the device is on another firmware? For instance, I have 4.1 installed and need to use Apps that require 4.2.1. I would install a Tweak and then the AppStore thinks I have 4.2.1 installed instead of 4.1.

      Yes? No? Maybe?
    1. MalayZN's Avatar
      MalayZN -
      I hope they skip 4.2.1 and just go right to 4.3 for jailbreak would be easier for people
    1. 240v's Avatar
      240v -
      totally off the topic but i cant create an new thread; it says i do not have sufficient privileges?
    1. ReggieSmith's Avatar
      ReggieSmith -
      Quote Originally Posted by k0mpresd View Post
      4.3 has been jailbroken since a couple days after beta 1 release. lol. although, it is tethered.
      your article should clarify this is referring to an untethered jailbreak.
      The very 1st line of the article states he is talking about an untethered jailbreak.

      Apple is really getting in front of these guys now. iOS 4.3 will be dropped soon enough and we still don't have an easy untethered jb for 4.2.1. I think Apple is intentionally holding back the major new features to hold of the jb folks on releasing their next jb. The dev team frequently says they are "holding off to keep from burning a jb."

      I swear I remember a recent jb that they claimed could only be blocked by a HW change and this was since iOS 4 and the iPhone 4 was released. (did I miss something?)
    1. ReggieSmith's Avatar
      ReggieSmith -
      Quote Originally Posted by my1past1is1ur1future View Post
      y don't apple treat it customers like adults. if they wanna jailbreak it's their responsiblity. geesh!
      haha i had dream once that apple would allow jailbreakin in itunes with restrictin haha i think that ain't gonna happen:P
      Easy enough to say but Apple has to spend the time trying to support their product. And they spent millions upon millions to develop iOS. Anyone who "makes" something never really wants someone to just come along and change it. JB'ing doesn't cost apple any $ (except for the folks pirating apps) so it's not completely about the money.

      Jb'ing is fine in my book, but so are Apple's attempts to slow or stop it. If a jb is out, untethered, I'll do it. If apple comes behind that and patches it, who cares. It keeps the dev team in business anyway.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
      The very 1st line of the article states he is talking about an untethered jailbreak.
      Nick added that sentence after k0mpresd said that.
    1. 97vrsix's Avatar
      97vrsix -
      I could honestly care less of we had a jailbrake/unlock for 4.3 or 4.2.1 or 4.1! As long as Baseband 5.14.2 can be unlocked, I don't care what iOS we use! As long as we use it, and get things done! I keep hearing it's easy, then it's hard, then it should be around the corner, then I hear it's delayed. Please, I know tester do the work for free, but it's like, put up, or shut up! I don't want to hear anything, till it's ready to be out! 3-4 months now I've been chasing my tail.

      I wish I had the tool they did. I might start to learn a bit more.

      Anyways. Thanks for your work! But again, keep it to your self, till it's ready.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Quote Originally Posted by 97vrsix View Post
      I could honestly care less of we had a jailbrake/unlock for 4.3 or 4.2.1 or 4.1! As long as Baseband 5.14.2 can be unlocked, I don't care what iOS we use! As long as we use it, and get things done! I keep hearing it's easy, then it's hard, then it should be around the corner, then I hear it's delayed. Please, I know tester do the work for free, but it's like, put up, or shut up! I don't want to hear anything, till it's ready to be out! 3-4 months now I've been chasing my tail.

      I wish I had the tool they did. I might start to learn a bit more.

      Anyways. Thanks for your work! But again, keep it to your self, till it's ready.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

      Well said!
    1. epignosis567's Avatar
      epignosis567 -
      The jailbreak comm should sue apple. Every year apple leeches more and more of their innovation from them.
      I hate this company.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by epignosis567 View Post
      The jailbreak comm should sue apple. Every year apple leeches more and more of their innovation from them.
      I hate this company.
      Could Cydia developers patent features that Apple steal? iOS would be nothing like it is today without the jailbreak devs