• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Piracy Detected. Your Cracked App is Now a Demo.
    The war between iPhone developers and app crackers continues . . .



    Ben Chatelain the developer behind the App Store app Full Screen Web Browser has taken steps to prevent piracy of his app. Just days after the initial app release on the App Store Ben received notification via a Google Alert that his app had been pirated and the cracked copy was being distributed by Appulo.

    Frustrated by the events Ben went on a mission to stop cracking of Full Screen Web Browser (App Store link). He checked out informative posts about making an iPhone app crash if cracked but was hesitant to enable the measures because he didn't want the application to crash for legitimate users or crash during the App Store review process and subsequently face rejection from the App Store.

    After some thought Ben came up with the solution that he is utilizing now. The application looks to see if it has been cracked and sends pings to a server with a device identifier (UDID) so that illegal usage can be tracked. If the app has been cracked the server controls a demo period with ten runs after which the the application shows a message allowing you the option to quite or buy complete with a guilt trip "Purchasing a legal copy helps support independent software development and will help me feed my 1-year old baby."

    With App Store application cracking running rampant and many developers up in arms over the issue we will be sure to see more and more measures like this taken in the future.

    edit: In case I didn't make it painfully obvious this allows you to try (the cracked app) before you buy. Apple needs to get on it and implement a demo system in its App Store already.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Piracy Detected. Your Cracked App is Now a Demo. started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 64 Comments
    1. greenleaf187's Avatar
      greenleaf187 -
      This is a huge step for the Devs.


      Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
      The was between iPhone developers and app crackers continues . . .
      Don't you mean 'the war' lol
    1. Nick Z's Avatar
      Nick Z -
      Like we wont find a way around that too
    1. greenleaf187's Avatar
      greenleaf187 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nick Z View Post
      Like we wont find a way around that too
      lol... i like your enthusiasm

      With that kind of energy i think you will
    1. Pcpro745's Avatar
      Pcpro745 -
      they seem to find ways around everything lol
    1. MrNoSox's Avatar
      MrNoSox -
      I wonder what version this is built into?
    1. wearmaize's Avatar
      wearmaize -
      It's too bad that the developer has to develop his own DRM. Unfortunately Apple's default DRM was cracked in a couple of days. Yes, themonkeysball, we mean you.
    1. richardjones101's Avatar
      richardjones101 -
      i think this is a great thing. I hate the idea of apple locking the i{hone to AT&T or O2 but not paying $1.99 for an app is ridiculous!
    1. ltjbigshot's Avatar
      ltjbigshot -
      Im really glad that the devs have stepped in to do something since apple wont.
    1. agent005's Avatar
      agent005 -
      Version 1.1, it says in the blog by the dev.

      And as well as I know the cracking community, there will be a workaround. There always is. Like Steve Jobs said- a Cat and Mouse game.
    1. Lil_Desai's Avatar
      Lil_Desai -
      Lol apple made it pretty big this time well not really apple but whatever. This person can make a lot of money for selling this anti piracy software. The people will probably find a way around it and pass it. Hopefully soon lol
    1. NHSKayak's Avatar
      NHSKayak -
      I say good for this guy. He makes a valid point, if you want developers to continue to improve their product offerings, you need to pay them for it. This method also gives you the chance to "try before you buy".
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      WOW!! This is going to stop people "stealing" apps, not. It won't be long before there's a way to delete the notification.
      I didn't know why Modmyi censors Edit Poseidon: We edit out that site/word b/c we do not condone the use of cracked apps on this forum and therefore do not link to sources. Please try and understand our position as we have many Dev partners. Thanks.

      Using cracked apps has saved me a lot of money. Trying them before you buy and a lot of the apps were crap.
    1. BEEKS's Avatar
      BEEKS -
      This is how I feel about the whole situation. They're always gonna be people that use the cracked apps as a way to just get free apps; but for me Apple's system should allow a trial period of applications before puckase. That's the only reason I paid $16 for BeeJIve, is beause I was able to have 'access' to it before.
      Secondly, I can't tell the Devs what to do with their revenue from the sales of their apps, but you using this to feed your babies????? C'mmon dude.
      However I do acknowledge that where cracking apps could have some impact on sales, it hurts us the users more because it doesn't really encourge Developers to put any "cool" apps out if people are just gonna pirate them.
    1. greenleaf187's Avatar
      greenleaf187 -
      Some of those apps are ridiculously expensive... i mean $900 for Ira Pro? and why pay 16 for beejive where you can get fringe for free. When i first purchased crash, Star Wars, and other apps for 10 bucks, i was kinda disappointed. I was all excited and finished the game in one day, speaking of premature action.
      Ohh yeah remember that 'I Am Rich'?
    1. steaky's Avatar
      steaky -
      These apps are hardly expensive, so once used a few times for trial people should buy them. Its not as if you are a student and cant afford Office in the 1990's.

      greenleaf187, even if you have pirated those most costly apps I bet you dont use them. And yeah $15 is a lot for an app..lol. Just use a free alternative if you dont want to pay for the commerical app.
    1. greenleaf187's Avatar
      greenleaf187 -
      Also, dont forget that the devs of Blue Skies also adopted a counter measure for cracked apps.

      Quote Originally Posted by steaky View Post
      These apps are hardly expensive, so once used a few times for trial people should buy them. Its not as if you are a student and cant afford Office in the 1990's.
      I am a student. I am also willing to pay for an app if I need it. I am not complaining about the price tags, I am just saying that sometimes curiosity kills. I will use a cracked version of lets say 'Ira Pro' just to see how it works, or is the 899.99 worth it. I Am Rich was sold three times because a bunch of idiots were just curious.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      hmmmm havent even gone the route of running cracked apps didnt want to get into that messy a situation
    1. greenleaf187's Avatar
      greenleaf187 -
      Quote Originally Posted by steaky View Post
      These apps are hardly expensive, so once used a few times for trial people should buy them. Its not as if you are a student and cant afford Office in the 1990's.

      greenleaf187, even if you have pirated those most costly apps I bet you dont use them. And yeah $15 is a lot for an app..lol. Just use a free alternative if you dont want to pay for the commerical app.
      lol funny thing is i do have a legitimate copy of beejive... honestly, the only reason i bought it was becuase the cracked version didnt work hehe, and because I liked it and i was thinking to myself that its worth it. ok maybe not 16$ but it was good business.
    1. JStraitiff's Avatar
      JStraitiff -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nick Z View Post
      Like we wont find a way around that too
      not "we"

      we are against cracking

      maybe "you", unless when you say we you mean you and hack labs

      this is an awesome step i think if anyone is going to put a paid app out it should include this
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Sounds a good idea to me.
      I am a great believer in 'try before you buy' and have used cracked apps since we found a way to bypass the dongle on Lotus 123 for the PC but if I continue to use an app I buy it.
      I learnt long ago that getting programs for free just because you can is not worth it. There will always be people that think it's clever to do so but they nearly always grow up.
      Some people crack apps just because they can - others use cracked apps because they think it's clever. Everyone has there own reason and I'm sure they will take no notice of anything I say anyway.