• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • [ RELEASE ] 3G iPhone Unlocked - Eat the yellowsn0w


    You've waited. You've watched. You've waited more. Now... its here!

    The Dev Team has released yellowsn0w, the 3G iPhone unlock. Its available NOW via Cydia, you'll need to add their source (check the release post for the URL - they'd prefer sites didn't link the repo url) then check your Changes tab - yellowsn0w should be right on top. If you don't know how, here's how to add a source in Cydia. Refresh if you don't see it. If you're reading this later, just search for yellowsn0w in Cydia (making sure of course you've added their source). As guessed (and confirmed a bit later) from their post earlier today, IT WORKS WITH THE 02.28.00 BASEBAND version - in fact, ONLY for that baseband version. Meaning yes, you will need to update in iTunes and then use PwnageTool on a freshly updated 2.2 iPhone if you DON'T have 02.28.00 right now. Running the unlock on older basebands will simply cause it to exit, and do nothing. "No harm, no foul."

    All you do is go to the package in Cydia and install just like you'd install any other package. Boom - restart the iPhone, and...

    ...wait for the slide to unlock screen, then wait 10 or 15 secs more. If you don’t see your carrier name pop up, then remove your SIM, reinsert it, and wait 10 secs more. This is the step we’ll be working on eliminating next.
    Then you're unlocked. A quick note for users whose SIM cards come preinstalled with menus or apps on them, you'll

    ...need to pull and reinsert the SIM once after rebooting the phone to engage the unlock. Even though it’s needed only once per boot, it’s still a nuisance and we’ll be fixing that ASAP... You’ll know if you fall into that “extra step” category if your carrier doesn’t show up within about 10 seconds of the slide to unlock screen.

    There is a known issue with SIM cards that have STK (SIM Toolkit) application menus, these menus are usually items such as “top up” “get credit” etc. These menu items confuse the application sometimes, removing and reinserting the SIM fixes this issue.
    Answers to some potential questions:

    My modem software says I have {less than 02.28.00} - can I still unlock?
    Yes, but you have to upgrade your baseband to 02.28.00 before you do anything. First restore completely to 2.2 in iTunes (just connect the iPhone to the computer, go to the iPhone tab in iTunes, and press Restore in the version area).You can follow this guide to jailbreak after, then install the unlock from Cydia.

    Is this permanent? In other words, will I be able to upgrade my firmware when the next one comes out and keep my unlock?
    No. This is a soft[ware] unlock, not a hardware unlock, so you'll need to do as we've mostly been doing - wait to upgrade on new firmwares (all current firmwares are unlockable as of now) until the Dev Team releases a patch. Of course we'll have details for you every time Apple comes out with a firmware update.

    What if I WANT to remove the unlock?
    yellowsn0w is completely removable through Cydia, the command line, and iTunes.

    I'm still on [2.1 / 2.0.2 / 2.0.1 / 2.0] firmware on my iPhone 3G, but would like to upgrade... what should I do?
    Back up your iPhone. Restore in iTunes. Follow this guide to upgrade to 2.2 jailbroken, then simply install yellowsn0w from Cydia when you're finished - unlocked, jailbroken, enjoy.

    I have T-Mobile, and they've recently upgraded their network to include 3G. Can I use the T-Mobile 3G data network with my unlocked iPhone 3G?
    No - T-Mobile and AT&T use different 3G frequencies, so your iPhone 3G won't pick up T-Mobiles 3G network. You CAN however still use T-Mobile EDGE and GPRS just fine with the iPhone 3G - as well as all T-Mobile's voice features, and WiFi of course.

    I have AT&T. I don't plan on selling my iPhone anytime soon, and I'm staying with AT&T. Is there any benefit for me to unlock my iPhone?
    Nope. Aside from the ability to use the iPhone 3G on other networks than it comes locked to (T-mobile in the States, various carriers elsewhere), and the higher potential asking price if you sell your iPhone unlocked, there are no benefits to unlocking your iPhone.

    OMG WTF BBQ!!!! This is awesome and I want to donate. Who do I send money to?
    Don't. They like uh... post cards. Scanned. And emailed.

    I think you're wrong about the basebands it will work with. I have an older baseband, and I'm going to run the unlock anyway. I think it will magically work in my case.
    I'm going to have a sandwich. After we each do these things, lets reconvene and see who's happier.


    [B]Edit: T-Mobile USA Users must turn off the 3G toggle in settings.

    Everyone: You MUST have your SIM card in (without the proxy chip) throughout the entire process. With your SIM card installed... Install yellowsn0w 0.9, then reboot and wait up to 2 minutes for the phone to get service. If it doesn't work then uninstall 0.9 and try version 0.91. Keep reporting

    If you have a SIM PIN you will need to REMOVE this first before running yellowsn0w... it is not compatible (yet)[/B


    Update: Version 0.9.5 should fix T-Mobile USA outgoing call SIM issues.

    EDIT: In case there is still any confusion about how to unlock your 3G iPhone, a tutorial has been created. Be sure to read the instructions very carefully so that you are on the right firmware or you maybe never be able to unlock your 3G.
    IPhone 3G Unlock Guide - ModMyi - Wiki
    This article was originally published in forum thread: [ RELEASE ] 3G iPhone Unlocked - Eat the yellowsn0w started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 1325 Comments
    1. imagineThiss's Avatar
      imagineThiss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Turntablist View Post
      Im livin in ireland im havin no probs what so ever with 9.4 abit aprehensive bout downloading 9.5 dont want to incase it messes up my phone. Is it a must have for me or jus u guys in u.s?????????
      yeah dont do it man.. i mean if everything is working perfectly... i wouldent.. i mean my phone use to semi work on new sim.. and old sim work completely.. but on .95 i cant get anywhere.. i might have to do a full restore
    1. melo107's Avatar
      melo107 -
      what am i doing wrong i rejaibroke my phone with quickpwn like everybod told be to do
      the i downloaded yellowsnow...
      i then turned it off the back on waited 10 sec nothing i tryed the airplane mode but it only searches for a split sec
    1. upstateiphone's Avatar
      upstateiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by Turntablist View Post
      Im livin in ireland im havin no probs what so ever with 9.4 abit aprehensive bout downloading 9.5 dont want to incase it messes up my phone. Is it a must have for me or jus u guys in u.s?????????
      I'm tmobile USA since release no problems. At 06:30 EST I updated to 0.9.5 everything has been fine this morning still working. Not 100% sure bout Ireland though however I doubt they would change anything that is still working.
    1. hondapro210's Avatar
      hondapro210 -
      Any ideas ever since the 9.4 update i cannot search in plane mode its says for like 1 sec and i have not gotten any tmobile bars at all it has never got signal since yesturday.. so i unistalled the 9.4 and installed 9.5 this mourning and same thing as soon as i turn on plane mode then off it will search for a sec and then back too 4 dots.. it seems its searching too quick and never picks up signal but my sim works in my g2 perfect and i have tried my wifes sim same thing.. with the first updated i was able to recieve call ect just not outgoing like everybody else and also my phone doesnt make the noise when u insert the sim anymore or remove it even in airplane mode.. any step by step!!!!!
    1. imagineThiss's Avatar
      imagineThiss -
      Quote Originally Posted by melo107 View Post
      what am i doing wrong i rejaibroke my phone with quickpwn like everybod told be to do
      the i downloaded yellowsnow...
      i then turned it off the back on waited 10 sec nothing i tryed the airplane mode but it only searches for a split sec
      yeah same here... well i didn't rejailbreak... but i remember on 9.4 when toggling airplane mode on it would search for a while... now on 9.5 not even a mil sec.. and just flat nothing shows up. ??? lol i want 9.4 back <<< anyone know where i can get it... ??
    1. upstateiphone's Avatar
      upstateiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by hondapro210 View Post
      Any ideas ever since the 9.4 update i cannot search in plane mode its says for like 1 sec and i have not gotten any tmobile bars at all it has never got signal since yesturday.. so i unistalled the 9.4 and installed 9.5 this mourning and same thing as soon as i turn on plane mode then off it will search for a sec and then back too 4 dots.. it seems its searching too quick and never picks up signal but my sim works in my g2 perfect and i have tried my wifes sim same thing.. with the first updated i was able to recieve call ect just not outgoing like everybody else and also my phone doesnt make the noise when u insert the sim anymore or remove it even in airplane mode.. any step by step!!!!!
      I found that if the signal is weak it won't connect. I went to the second floor of my house and it connected right away. Give it a try. I try forever like 15 minutes then get it on the first floor. Just my findings in my home.
    1. hondapro210's Avatar
      hondapro210 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rud3bwoy View Post
      NEW UPDATE ALLOWED ME TO MAKE CALLS ON TMOBILE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!out going,edge and everything!!!!!!

      and i got the newest sim from tmobile!
      can u give me ur step by step process to the tttt
      i get nowhere in plane mode it searches for spilt sec and back too the dots
    1. upstateiphone's Avatar
      upstateiphone -
      I can confirm like posted above the 0.9.5 yellowsn0w fixed the tmobile USA outgoing call issue. I'm now able to make outgoings calls with no issues on my secondary SIM which is about 3 months old.


      NOW EVERYONE LOVES THE DEV TEAM AGAIN!!!

      Thanks again dev team for a SUCCESSFUL RELEASE FROM DAY ONE!! I LOVE THE FREE WORLD!
    1. Turntablist's Avatar
      Turntablist -
      Quote Originally Posted by upstateiphone View Post
      I'm tmobile USA since release no problems. At 06:30 EST I updated to 0.9.5 everything has been fine this morning still working. Not 1005 sure bout Iceland though however I doubt they would change anything that is still working.
      Im gonna keep wha i have so if im havin no probs thanks (ICELAND) lol IRELAND!!
    1. hondapro210's Avatar
      hondapro210 -
      i now cannot even get a signal, anymore my g2 shows 4 bars ant ideas
    1. imagineThiss's Avatar
      imagineThiss -
      Quote Originally Posted by upstateiphone View Post
      I can confirm like posted above the 0.9.5 yellowsn0w fixed the tmobile USA outgoing call issue. I'm now able to make outgoings calls with no issues on my secondary SIM which is about 3 months old.


      NOW EVERYONE LOVES THE DEV TEAM AGAIN!!!

      Thanks again dev team for a SUCCESSFUL RELEASE FROM DAY ONE!! I LOVE THE FREE WORLD!
      can you tell us exaclty what you did... did you update ? restore ?
    1. melo107's Avatar
      melo107 -
      Quote Originally Posted by upstateiphone View Post
      I can confirm like posted above the 0.9.5 yellowsn0w fixed the tmobile USA outgoing call issue. I'm now able to make outgoings calls with no issues on my secondary SIM which is about 3 months old.


      NOW EVERYONE LOVES THE DEV TEAM AGAIN!!!

      Thanks again dev team for a SUCCESSFUL RELEASE FROM DAY ONE!! I LOVE THE FREE WORLD!
      can i get a process cause mine just siting with dots or no service and i thought i was doing everything right
    1. hondapro210's Avatar
      hondapro210 -
      Do u install yellow sn0w with the sim in there or out or does it really matter...
    1. upstateiphone's Avatar
      upstateiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by Turntablist View Post
      Im gonna keep wha i have so if im havin no probs thanks (ICELAND) lol IRELAND!!
      Burnt this morning... I had to edit the post!!
    1. melo107's Avatar
      melo107 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hondapro210 View Post
      Do u install yellow sn0w with the sim in there or out or does it really matter...
      i know you suppose to do it while its in
    1. upstateiphone's Avatar
      upstateiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by melo107 View Post
      can i get a process cause mine just siting with dots or no service and i thought i was doing everything right
      These were my steps from day one that worked.
      2.2 Restore Firmware from modmyi wiki
      quickpwn 2.2 (Jailbreak also 2.2 has auto activate) add cydia
      wifi - have sim in
      load yellowsn0w
      reboot
      5 dots toggle airplane on/off and then Searching then carrier
      I have found if you have weak signal you may have to try many times.

      Updated just did this method on my sisters 16G 3G iPhone that hasn't been working. This is Tmobile USA. Now outgoing calls work with no issue.

      uninstalled yellowsn0w 0.9.4
      reset network settings
      reboot
      installed yellowsn0w 0.9.5
      reset network settings again
      airplane off... about 5-10 secs ... airplane on
      Searching then Carrier

      This is what worked for me!! Thanks again to MODMYI for the firmware!!
    1. imagineThiss's Avatar
      imagineThiss -
      aggggggggggg why did i update.... i was gonna get my sim swapped with one that was working ... now nothing on 0.9.5..... its all good i know the dev team is working on it...
    1. upstateiphone's Avatar
      upstateiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      aggggggggggg why did i update.... i was gonna get my sim swapped with one that was working ... now nothing on 0.9.5..... its all good i know the dev team is working on it...
      What is happening now? Who is your carrier?
    1. imagineThiss's Avatar
      imagineThiss -
      Quote Originally Posted by upstateiphone View Post
      What is happening now? Who is your carrier?
      live in Detroit.... got tmobile... my sim is actually ver 39.1 last night on yellow snow0.9.4 i got everything to work.. but outgoing calls. then tried my moms sim and her version starts with 27. something something.. and it worked flawlessly.. this morning i updated to yellowsn0w to 0.9.5 and nothing is working.. when toggling airplane mode on and off it just searches for a sec.. so right now im doing the whole things over rejailbreaking and everything well see what happens...
    1. jeffnjen's Avatar
      jeffnjen -
      been having problems since day one like everyone else, just updated to .95, all is perfect, time to sell my 2g iphone thanks devteam
      by the way dsmkilla go cry somewhere else....