• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Supposedly Relaxes LCI-Related iPod Repair Policy


    Apple is believed to be relaxing its stringent iPod repair policy with regard to devices that reveal a triggered liquid sensor. As many iDevice owners have unfortunately experienced, the liquid contact indicator (LCI) can herald an end to the warranty on your freshly damaged device. And for as long as Apple has been utilizing liquid contact indicators, Apple customers have been thwarted in their hopes of getting their water damaged iPods repaired by the Cupertino tech-giant.

    On Monday, however, MacGeneration published a recently discovered repair document indicating that iPods with an activated LSI may still, in fact, be eligible for repair under Apple's warranty but only if the device shows no other visible outward signs of physical water damage. Time magazine's TechLand reports that the tweaked Apple repair policy may be the result of the recent Korean case where a father sued Apple on behalf of his 13-year-old daughter who was turned away from Apple and denied warranty protection when her iPhone 3G was suspected of water damage.

    Regardless of the reason that prompted the relaxed rules, we all know that liquid contact indicators are remarkably sensitive and can, in some cases, be triggered by nothing more than the sweat from a user's hands after a workout. Consequently, Apple users in need of repair may find some comfort in the new policy, which seemingly makes the issue of true water damage a subjective call on the part of Apple personnel.

    Time/TechLand
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Supposedly Relaxes LCI-Related iPod Repair Policy started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 39 Comments
    1. dq13's Avatar
      dq13 -
      Water indicators here in Miami are a major problem in summer. When you get in the car and blast the ac at night because the temperature is at high 90s and then you get down and the humidity is 98%, then it sly gets fogged up, like glasses, phone screen, etc. Because it is cold and dry inside the car and ten hot and hummed outside... Guess what fog does... TRIGGERS THE WATER INDICATORS!!!!
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
      The skills of some promote such health conversation on this forum sometimes....
      Why did you quote me and then not say anything?
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
      Am I missing the point of this article??? Whats with people talking about iPhones & iPads... and physical damage?? This article is about iPod's and the liquid indicator... no where in this article does it mention smashed screens and slow iPhones.... or even wet iPhones and iPads....
      Chill out man were just socializing.

      No worries bro
    1. lighter's Avatar
      lighter -
      Sorry... didn't have any intention to make it sound that way... I removed it... I was just elaborating on what you had said ...

      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Why did you quote me and then not say anything?
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
      Sorry... didn't have any intention to make it sound that way... I removed it... I was just elaborating on what you had said ...
      Oh you put the quote at the bottom of your posts. That threw me for a minute.
    1. lighter's Avatar
      lighter -
      Don't get me wrong... thats cool and thats what forums are for... its just... I read a lot of convo's and they go way off on tangents thats all... LOL anyways I am gonna end my rant... or I will turn in to the one I am complaining about...

      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      Chill out man were just socializing.

      No worries bro
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
      Am I missing the point of this article??? Whats with people talking about iPhones & iPads... and physical damage?? This article is about iPod's and the liquid indicator... no where in this article does it mention smashed screens and slow iPhones.... or even wet iPhones and iPads....
      lol, I genuinely want to know which stores they're going to... I will try one of those stores.

      Conversations deviate, it happens. Nothing to get upset about.
    1. Italia411's Avatar
      Italia411 -
      I give apple tons of credit for this. My 4 month old hp laptop was water damaged by my son and hp set high expectations with me regarding repair knowing the issue at hand. Then I ship and wait 2 weeks only to check my email to see hp is trying to charge me almost what I paid for it for repair. Needless to say after a month long run around they shipped me back my broken laptop. I can't tell you how many people I know who have gotten water damaged devices replaced by apple. Shame on you hp, I will take my chances with apple from now on.
    1. kricha11's Avatar
      kricha11 -
      I got the iPhone 4 the first week it came out. I started having dropped calls (5% of calls). I thought this was normal but then I called my network provider (Rogers in Canada) and they sent me a new phone in November. Since then not one dropped Call. So if u are dropping calls try switching to a different iPhone 4.
    1. Italia411's Avatar
      Italia411 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kricha11 View Post
      I got the iPhone 4 the first week it came out. I started having dropped calls (5% of calls). I thought this was normal but then I called my network provider (Rogers in Canada) and they sent me a new phone in November. Since then not one dropped Call. So if u are dropping calls try switching to a different iPhone 4.
      Does your motion sensor work properly on your new iPhone?
    1. vindutch's Avatar
      vindutch -
      I bought these for my iphone and ipad to protect from dust and water. http://www.radtech.us/Products/Portectorz.aspx
    1. CX3NT3_713's Avatar
      CX3NT3_713 -
      The galleria, in Houston TX ,, both FREE
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by CX3NT3_713 View Post
      The galleria, in Houston TX ,, both FREE
      I'll have to try them next time I'm in Houston... After the next untethered JB comes out.
    1. CX3NT3_713's Avatar
      CX3NT3_713 -
      Good luck,,
    1. DarkDragonAn's Avatar
      DarkDragonAn -
      Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
      That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You can't have something with that much metal on an MRI when it's on, or near it. An MRI is a large series of powerful magnets and will suck the device inside.

      Why post an obvious lie like that in here??
      OK! Dude I know what you are saying, but I do have witness to my story jack *** I work with MRN all my life, and I know what an MRN do son. I don't need you to tell anything about an MRN jack ***. I was surprise about it, and the iPhone was not pull by the MRN and it still work.
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
      I hope people do not misunderstand what they are saying. They are not saying they will repair it. It clearly states ipod not iphone or ipad and secondly it also cleary states that "It MAY BE ELIGIBLE" Keyword "MAY" so they still do not have to. If they feel that way. So dude keep your ipad under lock and key when it comes to rain and i wouldnt breathe easier one bit. Man one drop of that ipad you can say goodbye to that screen. seriously dont think they'll just start dropping iphones, ipod, and ipads. Whats next My 4 year old macbook still under warrenty, highly doubt that will even happen. Highly doubt if i drop my iphone in water they'll replace it. Its not like it says... "We do not cover water damage everywhere"
      yea exactly, this isnt a free give away whenever someone comes in with water damage now
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
      OK! Dude I know what you are saying, but I do have witness to my story jack *** I work with MRN all my life, and I know what an MRN do son. I don't need you to tell anything about an MRN jack ***. I was surprise about it, and the iPhone was not pull by the MRN and it still work.
      Remind me not to go to your hospital for an MRI! your attitude sucks... Also... I normally don't do this, but...

      Your sentence structure, and use of words, projects a far less intelligent person than I would think works with MRI machines.
    1. aboudiiiiii's Avatar
      aboudiiiiii -
      lol I like the MRI thing (and angry reply too). My iphone started slowing down because it recently became my anger cushion. Everytime I get pissed, I toss it. Once I launched it against the wall, and it came out with no scratches whatsoever. The only problem is that I started needing to reboot it three or four times a day in order to get it back to standard functionality in terms of speed.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by aboudiiiiii View Post
      lol I like the MRI thing (and angry reply too). My iphone started slowing down because it recently became my anger cushion. Everytime I get pissed, I toss it. Once I launched it against the wall, and it came out with no scratches whatsoever. The only problem is that I started needing to reboot it three or four times a day in order to get it back to standard functionality in terms of speed.
      Maybe you should use a ball instead.